Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4316118 - 11/29/16 01:20 PM Helios Cockpit Designer, build own cockpit now free.  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Helios Cockpit software by Gadroc is now open source and available for free download here!

http://www.gadrocsworkshop.com/helios/latest

I felt it was like Christmas when I discovered this, so much easier to fly sophisticated flight sim, when you have more screen real estate. Have your instruments interactive and updated in real time on one monitor and the hud or view outside on the other......works great!

Last edited by Slippery_Rat; 11/29/16 01:25 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4316142 - 11/29/16 03:03 PM Re: Helios Cockpit Designer, build own cockpit now free. [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
The downside is that I don't think anyone has really picked up the torch on this one. Bugs still abound and some stuff doesn't work.... frown

- Ice
#4316150 - 11/29/16 03:16 PM Re: Helios Cockpit Designer, build own cockpit now free. [Re: - Ice]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Ice, well it works perfectly for me in DCS, I think Gadroc, may have given up because he would always be chasing DCS, BMS et al when they made changes, and its such a niche market.

Since he has posted his source code on Github, it wouldnt surprise me if someone else like Gadroc will update it when the present versions becomes completely unusable. I almost surprised DCS dont do it themselves, since products like this have popularized sophisticated sims, DCS are the losers if software like this is not available.

I would prefer to see it open.

I am disappointed I cant use it with BMS, since they changed it, but with touchscreen it still functional for you!?

regards

LaLa

ps thanks for reiterating my question BMS forum regarding the mouse, I doubt anyone would have answered it you hadnt added your input!

winkngrin

#4316220 - 11/29/16 06:24 PM Re: Helios Cockpit Designer, build own cockpit now free. [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Helios was designed for touchscreens primarily. You can use it as a gauge or switch extraction on a second monitor, sure, but other programs can do that. Not having to touch the mouse or keyboard once in the 3D world --- that's what Helios gives you. I know you've seen my BMS profile... that's the ENTIRE set of cockpit switches and more. Runway and approach plates. Frequency charts. Pair that with a good voice command program (VAC, Voice Attack, LMC) and you'll get serious immersion. Pity the comms system in DCS does not lend itself very well to an immersive voice command profile.

As for Helios being picked up, well, it'll have to be someone with the skills, plays combat flight simulators, and is not happy with the current offerings of Helios. Very, very small sample of an already very, very small population. Personally, I wouldn't mind if Gadroc did not release it and instead continued working on it, even if he had to kickstarter it or asked for donations or something. I know a lot of people who would happily PAY for more features.

As for ED/DCS, they're already swamped with what they have; I doubt they can recognize opportunity even if it slaps them in the face.

Originally Posted By: Slippery_Rat
but with touchscreen it still functional for you!?

Works 100%!!

- Ice

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.