Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
Originally Posted By: Chucky
Not bad for 6,000 years...

Ah.. You just had to bring religion into it didn't you..

Trying to ridicule the belief of one person(6000 years), with the belief of another (Big Bang), will get you in trouble. You do realize that the belief of the Big Bang says that the universe didn't take 6000 years to come into existence, but even more ridiculous.... a mere moment of time...

So, not bad for a split second.

Equating those 2 beliefs is like equating flat Earth and round Earth beliefs.

Not quite. The big banger belief is now considered erroneous. Science is now moving away from it, just like they did with the flat earth.

http://www.livescience.com/49958-theory-no-big-bang.html

Just to clarify terminology, there is generally no such thing as "belief" in scientific analysis, it's more a matter of "this seems most likely given the evidence." Sure, some individuals may get hung up on a particular theory, and some will use the term "believe" in circumstances where they are conveying a deduction ("based on the information we have, we believe this is what happened..."), but that link shows a key aspect of scientific study - the process of changing theories along with new evidence. Normal scientific processes do not cling to beliefs, particularly in the presence of contradicting information.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4315266 - 11/26/16 01:30 AM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
This is before Thor dealt with serpent.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4315316 - 11/26/16 06:51 AM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Yep science is always trying to get closer to explaining reality, always ready to refine its theories, to throw out old ideas when new evidence shows them to be untrue. It does not stick to blatantly untrue nonsense from bronze age myths like a 6K year old Earth that are frankly laughable.

Im all for people having the freedom to believe anything they want but also the freedom to point out when those beliefs are a load of old bollox.

#4315577 - 11/27/16 10:51 AM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
To be honest though, most people are unqualified to pass judgment about a Scientific Theory like that of the Big Bang. To that extent it truly is a "belief" in the sense that if you cannot repaint a coherent image as to why a certain Scientific Theory is held to be the answer to many questions, you could just as well believe in something else that you cannot explain to a skeptic either. And even if you are a scholar who fully understands one specific Scientific Theory, chances are that you cannot adequately explain some other. You implicitly trust that all the other scientists are doing their work properly. Just like some people trust that Voodoo priests know their sh!t.
Heck, it even starts with the fact that most people don't even have a clue as to what a Scientific Theory represents rather than the colloquial term of "theory" that usually only means "my opinion" or a "somewhat educated guess".

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4315812 - 11/28/16 01:15 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: Clydewinder]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Clydewinder

What if you ARE the evil universe PanzerMeyer?

You just gave me a profound Westworld moment there. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4315813 - 11/28/16 01:17 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Yes a split second that occurred over 13 billion years ago. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 11/28/16 01:17 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4315819 - 11/28/16 01:45 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Yes a split second that occurred over 13 billion years ago. smile

So you really believe the entirety of the universe instantaneously came into existence within a mere moment of time?

Sounds like a certain religious belief to me. thumbsup

And notice that I haven't even argued for the existence of a god, and I don't ever need to either. I'm just displaying the irony of some of the beliefs being made here.

Btw, the big banger didn't happen. New guesses are replacing current belief systems.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4315823 - 11/28/16 01:49 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

And notice that I haven't even argued for the existence of a god, and I don't ever need to either. I'm just displaying the irony of some of the statements being made here.

Science already acknowledges that the fundamental framework of the universe was indeed created in a split second but the universe has been changing and expanding ever since.

#4315824 - 11/28/16 01:52 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

And notice that I haven't even argued for the existence of a god, and I don't ever need to either. I'm just displaying the irony of some of the statements being made here.

Science already acknowledges that the fundamental framework of the universe was indeed created in a split second but the universe has been changing and expanding ever since.

False. Read about the new guesses. Big banger belief system is out the window.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4315826 - 11/28/16 01:58 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Big banger belief system is out the window.
Even if it is how does that prove that Christianity or any other religion for that matter is the "true" one?

#4315829 - 11/28/16 02:05 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Big banger belief system is out the window.
Even if it is how does that prove that Christianity or any other religion for that matter is the "true" one?

I'm not even mentioning religion as a basis for truth. All I'm doing is illuminating the similarities between religious beliefs and these scientific beliefs. I can argue this all day long as an outsider with no stance either way.

Look, the new guesses are that the big banger didnt even happen. There was no singularity, no moment of boom and walah there it is. The new guess is that the universe always was, infinitely existing then, now, and in the future.

But again, that is the same belief system that religious folks have about god. He always existed, with no beginning.

And for the basis of this debate, neither is more valid than the other. Saying so is being intellectually dishonest.

But there's always those who feel the need to ridicule those who choose god. Not realizing they are standing on the same faith based system as those they impugn. I'm just pointing it out quite elegantly I must say.

#4315844 - 11/28/16 02:50 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Huh? "New guess"?

Are you unaware the steady state theory has been around for like a century and actually predates the BBT I think?

Might as well talk about that funky new flat Earth theory.

Quite simply it happened so long ago we will likely never know what actually happened, the evidence is too faint and old now. However, the REAL question is the biggest unanswered one:

So what?
The universe was created way A or X or ZZZ...so what? It's immaterial, like being asked if you were a natural or c-section birth on an employment application.

As for "choosing" anything, there is an extreme fallacy in thinking that if you accept one thing you must accept it all. Maybe some deity created the universe, maybe it didn't. Has ZERO bearing on whether that deity is still around. Zero on whether it cares about anything occurring in it.
I once asked the contractor who built my house what his feelings were about the colony of ants I discovered living inside it before I moved in...and he had NONE. I think that also would apply to whether a being capable of creating a universe cares about whether or not teenagers are touching themselves.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4315872 - 11/28/16 04:46 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Oh, Jedi, it doesn't matter who one is - there is always time and interest that can be devoted to the matter of sex.

But I will agree with the other sentiments. I was pondering the vastness of the Universe the other day until I stepped on a LEGO piece. Then my attentions were confined to a much smaller area.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4315875 - 11/28/16 04:53 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: Jedi Master]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Huh? "New guess"?

Are you unaware the steady state theory has been around for like a century and actually predates the BBT I think?

Might as well talk about that funky new flat Earth theory.

The Jedi Master

It's a new guess.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.livescien...roid-att-aio-us

#4316112 - 11/29/16 12:49 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
False. Read about the new guesses. Big banger belief system is out the window.

I'm terribly sorry, but NO.
Your article says that there's an alternative idea that addresses some issues with the BBT (which are, by the way, well known and absoluetly not new). So it MIGHT provide a clue, but so far we haven't found any hint that the new theory is more than mathematics. Call again when the first scientific observations have confirmed a prediction of the new theory that the established theories do not.

Will the BBT hold up forever?
I don't think so. It has severe issues that are hard to reconcile. At the same time we KNOW that the universe must have been in a plasma phase once that made it completely opaque to visible light. The result of that is the 4K background radiation. Anything before that moment is, by definition, unobservable to us.

Recently dim galaxies were found. They may account for some part of the dark matter. The issue is, these galaxies are hard to detect by their very nature, so it's going to be difficult to estimate how many of them actually exist. Primordial black holes may also account for a large part of the observed gravitational pull. That's why it's important to set up gravity wave detectors in space, so we can observe better how gravity is distributed. More observations will over time deliver more answers. Your article is, right now, just ink on paper, like the String Theory. Once that experimentation and observation confirms a unique prediction of these models we're talking. Until then...

#4316117 - 11/29/16 01:14 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Don't forget about the black energy which is around in MUCH larger quantity than black matter.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4316129 - 11/29/16 02:18 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
very simple question with a simple answer - the universe is bigger than you can dream

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4316130 - 11/29/16 02:22 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Well, isn't our Sun due to burn out into a white dwarf in a couple of billion years? That is right around the corner compared to all of this "universe" talk! wink

#4316133 - 11/29/16 02:29 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
that assumes humans are still around when the sun begins to become a problem ..... and that is assuming an awful lot biggrin

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4316136 - 11/29/16 02:42 PM Re: How Big is the Universe? [Re: Haggart]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted By: Haggart
that assumes humans are still around when the sun begins to become a problem ..... and that is assuming an awful lot biggrin

Don't worry abut it. The Rolling Stones will still be cranking out tours smile

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.