Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4314856 - 11/24/16 01:20 PM OBD and WOFFUE  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
There have been quite a few posts and a few PMs kicking around that make me think that folks believe WOFFUE is the end of OBDs involvement in WW1.

This is simply not true - we are branching out and will eventually have and maintain both WW1 and WW2 for as long as we are financially and physically able.

We have spent 10 years getting thus far and we now are aiming for another 10 years - for BOTH WW2 and WW1.

Even now we are still working on WOFFUE - witness the patches....

WM

OBD Software
#4314863 - 11/24/16 01:43 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Thanks, Winder. WOFF UE is already head and shoulders above what I ever hoped to fly in a WWI sim again when I first started looking for one a few years back. That said, I know many of us are always eager for the next patch or Add-on. You guys are the Rock Stars of WWI flight sims. Soon to be WWII flight sims as well.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4314867 - 11/24/16 01:55 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
dancinfools whoohoo woot thumbsup winner

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4314943 - 11/24/16 06:11 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Windingman, do not be angry, but keep in your mind that a couple of WW1 fans, still have an hangover caused by Rof/Bos. In my case I did support Rof by even buying that useless Sikorski game, that vanderStock campaign, sponsoring other players by the giftshop, yes I have all the Rof stuff even the useless one.
Jason Williams made a promis that the Bos improvements would be ported to Rof, it would not be the end of Rof. It was a small team that could not cope everthing so attention would go for Bos first and if Bos would be finished then ........ We all know better right know, all that cash was spend to Bos, after the merge of Sikorski game this was the last major update, the S16 as a sample is still not be fixed.
Sceptic, no because that is life, but please do not leave the WW1 flysim scene.

#4314951 - 11/24/16 06:46 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Luckily I have no such hangover.
Go OBD go!

The advantage we have here is that WW1 or a WW1 aviation scene was not a cash grab or half-arse cheap stuff but a real passion and desire to do well by the subject matter. They've been doing it for years and I suspect the OBD company yacht is still a dream. They did it because they wanted to. And they say more UE stuff is coming that's good enough for me.

As a practical matter WW2 seems to always be a money maker and I am not aware of anyone doing a sim like this (as I think it is) since EAW. Nor are there any in the pipe?

And the OBD touch on such subject matter? I am drooling to jump into some high speed action on the big canvas of WW2 on the Western Front from BoB to the spring of 1945....I presume.

#4314954 - 11/24/16 06:51 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
dutch,

I appreciate your anxiety, but really...Winder isn't responsible for what 777 Studios did. Either OBD develops a sim in a more profitable genre or they go out of business, which guarantees no more WOFF UE development. That's the simple, ugly truth. Both Pol and Winder have publicly stated they intend to continue developing for WOFF UE. There are no guarantees in life, so their word - which I feel has been exceptionally good thus far - is as good as it gets.

I'm also sorry Jason didn't keep his promises. Maybe he tried but it was financially impossible. I have no idea. What I do know is that we have either a possible way forward or a guaranteed way not. I'm glad they chose the possible way forward. If you are looking for guarantees, there are none. As you said, "that's life" and so I'm sorry for when you have been let down in the past by others.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4314956 - 11/24/16 06:56 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Sounds great WM. Thanks for keeping us well informed.

#4314960 - 11/24/16 07:04 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
There is definitely a gap in the market for a European WWII flight sim game... The BoS group are Eastern Front and moving on to the Pacific next.
DCS and their WWII roadmap are, well, you know what happens with DCS I guess, we will probably see something near the finished product in about ...yrs time.
(insert your own prediction)...

I was the same as Dutch however... I have supported RoF and WoFF, but was quite p*ssed off with 777 when after all their promises about not stopping development of their WWI title, they did exactly that.

I think if Pol and the team go into the WWII scene they will make a great product (we have all seen how they have constantly improved the original OFF)

I stayed positive about the RoF team for a long time until it was obvious they were not supporting their old game.

However, I'm not a bitter and twisted old man (yet) lol!
I am always prepared to give people the benefit of the doubt until proved otherwise, so I have a pretty positive outlook that the teams WWI efforts will not be forgotten.

#4314962 - 11/24/16 07:08 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
I trust OBD will remain true to WWI. This war has been their passion for years. I do not see them losing this passion soon.

#4314964 - 11/24/16 07:16 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Mr_Dirt]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

Originally Posted By: Mr_Dirt
I trust OBD will remain true to WWI. This war has been their passion for years. I do not see them losing this passion soon.

My words exactly. And I am happy to believe it´s true.

#4315032 - 11/25/16 12:16 AM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: ArisFuser]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Although I have about 40 flight sims, I divide my flight time between WOFF UE and CLoD TF 4.312. I am always amazed by what a small team of developers with a clear vision can accomplish. I would dearly love to see continued development of WWI and new WW2 content. Who needs jets?

There are no accidents and no fatal flaws in the machines; there are only pilots with the wrong stuff.

— Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff,1979.
#4315057 - 11/25/16 02:43 AM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

WM

I/m on the "ODB" team whatever you guys devote your business and passions toward..I am sure many others as well.

#4315068 - 11/25/16 05:17 AM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Good news

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4315069 - 11/25/16 05:21 AM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
manitouguy Offline
manitouguy  Offline

Vancouver BC Canada
here here, i'll support it all fully

wink here's hoping we can have the tiger moth and chipmunk as trainers for the ww2 scenario ... oh that would be splendid now ... !!! maybe capt trigger's grandson can school my 'few'

thanks for all of it - great news!

Last edited by manitouguy; 11/25/16 05:21 AM. Reason: typo
#4315121 - 11/25/16 02:09 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
The ROF thing is simple: No matter how much we all love it, across the board, WW1 doesn't sell as well as does WWII. Jason recently stated they can only afford to work on one sim at a time and WW1 doesn't pay the bills. Even War Thunder, with its ten billion players, doesn't touch WW1. I'm not "angry" at a sim company that developed a sim and then stopped (although I was angry with a company that asked for development money and then shoved it up our tailpipes and gave us jack squat). I enjoy ROF as it is. Love to see more but if not, c'est la vie. It still flies great for me. If WOFF stopped development now, same thing.

And, BirdDog, who needs jets? I need jets. biggrin Especially the Me-262.

#4315124 - 11/25/16 02:30 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
I certainly wasn't angry with 777... I was however p~ssed off that the promises made didn't work out.
Many said at the time they would not be able to do both. As I take people at their word it took a long time to sink in that they just couldn't do it.
As predicted, new content, promised new tech developed for BoS didn't filter down to RoF and it all came to a rapid stop.

And yes, such is life... I haven't fired up RoF for quite awhile now, not because I'm angry or bitter, but because my WWI fix has been provided by the OBD team with their continued patches and upgrades that has kept that 'reality factor'... a feeling of 'being there' strong, and makes me want to return to it time after time.

I await next year with intense interest, and hope that everything works out well for all smile

#4315136 - 11/25/16 03:41 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
ROF development didn't come to a rapid stop, it trickled away as BOS was developed. As they've said recently, what they want to do is update the aged ROF to the newer engine being used with BOK, rather than backfill current advances onto ROF's old engine. In essence, "ROF II." Again, though, they can't afford to work on ROF and BOK, and ROF upgrades alone won't pay the bills. Remember how ROF was released in the first place? It barely even saw the light of day and struggled in ICU early on. Now they've even more overhead to contend with. Fortunately for me, I don't constantly need more-more-more to enjoy a flight sim. And ROF and WOFF have their own strengths compared to the other so I enjoy them both for their unique reasons.

Re:WOFF, there's a lot of content as-is; they aren't abandoning WW1; and they have financial backing now, so bring on WW2.

#4315139 - 11/25/16 03:56 PM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
I am delighted with the plans for OBD and, although WW1 remains my main interest, I will certainly support their WWII sim. If the WWII sim approaches the quality of WOFFUE (I'm sure it will) we have a lot to look forward to. There are things that haven't been in a sim in many years if at all -- imagine the challenge of flying RAF night raids at some point in the future!

As a business decision, what OBD are doing makes tons of sense. Let's not forget that they need the revenue in order sustain further add-ons to WOFFUE.

Best of luck OBD, and thanks for the continuing commitment to WOFF!!!

#4315272 - 11/26/16 01:56 AM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
I too prefer WWI, but I also enjoy reading about and flying WWII planes. I prefer the Pacific, but have no problems with Europe. I know that if OBD puts the time and effort into WWII like they have for WOFF UE we will have the both of both wars. I currently have DCS WWII birds which while I am sure are fairly accurate to fly. I very rarely fly them the learning curve is to great for me to stick to it. The main value DCS is their multiplayer servers. I prefer what OBD has accomplished with WOFF UE. I can very happily sim at home by myself, I am not a big multiplayer pilot. I know that many prefer the multiplayer challenge and I understand that. I feel the developers of OBD will keep us well supplied with both WWI and WWII challenges. I think I have not even scratched the surface of WOFF UE yet and like the gentleman above my time is scattered among to many different sims. I should spend more time with just one or two and learn to fly so much better, but I like to jump around. So bring on WWII OBD I will buy it.

#4315276 - 11/26/16 02:27 AM Re: OBD and WOFFUE [Re: Winding Man]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
If Pol & the gang can do for WWII what they've done for WWI, you will have one happy camper here! I don't know if anyone wants to remember, but that is exactly what they were doing back in the day with CFS3-ETO - Winder did a lot of the scenery, and so on. I think Pol & the group that has "gone commercial" was the right decision - there are some awfully good blokes over there, but by staying non-commercial, it seems kinda dead in the water - ETO 1.40 is as far as it went, and installing it is a whole lot more difficult than the slick and professional way that OBD has done. I think the folks over there still do missions, and what not, but a lot of good content stands to be lost because sometimes, it needs more than even the best-hearted volunteers can give it. "The laborer is worth of his meat" says the Good Old Book.

These guys had the guts to take the risk with their livelihoods; they've made more than a sim, it's a work of art, historic and reverent, and I'll raise a glass to them any time. And buy everything they put out, first day if I can get it.

beercheers salute

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse