Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4311401 - 11/12/16 08:39 AM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Ratcatcher]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Yeah thanks. I gave it a spin and I'm sticking with ArmA. Great effort and foundation but the Gameplay doesn't 'naturally' fall into a somewhat realistic and tactical mood IMO. The infrastructure is there to make it so with a dedicated group and all but a quick random game is just Counterstrike with big maps it seems. Everybody was on full auto, grenade and RPG spamming all over the place, TKs galore, sly guys camping and sniping the spawn points and others bunny hopping around the maps lobbing bullets, grenades and RPGs around or hijacking vehicles for seemingly no purpose.

I'm sure is a great game but it obviously requires a high degree of dedication to organized play on the side of all the players to 'work'. I can see why they would kick people with no voice comms, the game completely falls apart unless ever single player is dedicated to making it tactical.

With ArmA and even Insurgency or project Argo I seem to find a much higher level of tactical gameplay in random games that I can play when I have an hour to burn. But maybe that's just the my experience so far. I'm sure I caught some bad games too, but it illustrates the issue regardless.

I may still buy it to support the the effort, and I'll give it another spin this evening evening maybe. I'm sure coming from BF2 it's a godsend, coming from ArmA... A little less so.

Don Quixote's misfortune is not his imagination, but Sancho Panza.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4311412 - 11/12/16 10:22 AM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
Hmm, thats interesting as I had exactly the same opinion of Arma in multi player. No coordination, etc. Which is why I have kind of steered across to squad.

Don't get me wrong, I have had some really poor games in squad, a lot depends on the team leader and how they manage the squad. It probably doesn't help having played on the free weekend ( which I know sounds contradictory ) as you will have had a lot of new players who haven't got a clue.

Since I have been playing it I have had very few instances of people TK'ing or bunny hopping. The comment about spawn camping... if you mean on a particular squad rally point or FOB, well that means its been over run and the SL needs to set a new RP or FOB in a safe area for the squad to respawn on..

Sorry to hear you have had such a poor experience though, I would be interested in hearing which servers you use in Arma though as I would love to have a good multi player experience there and would be happy to give it a go again.

#4311440 - 11/12/16 01:52 PM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

You tried it during a free weekend probably loaded with casual players who won't even buy it. You aren't going to get a feel for how normal games are in that situation.

I haven't played Squad in a few months, but there is teamwork and people sticking to their squads in every single game I played. Every now and then you'd get a bad squad leader, but usually they are talking and organizing. And if you went rogue, you'd get kicked in most cases.

Choose a good server. Tactical Gamer for example.

I play Arma3 COOP twice a week so I love Arma3, but Squad demolishes it from a PvP standpoint.

PS, they aren't spawn camping. That's part of the gameplay. Besides taking victory points, each side hunts for and destroys enemy FOB's to stop reinforcements in an area. You don't spawn on an FOB that's being attacked.

#4311453 - 11/12/16 02:37 PM Re: Squad Updates [Re: bonchie]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Originally Posted By: bonchie
PS, they aren't spawn camping. That's part of the gameplay. Besides taking victory points, each side hunts for and destroys enemy FOB's to stop reinforcements in an area. You don't spawn on an FOB that's being attacked.

Yeah, I meant that as in 'random dude doing his random thing'. People were running all over doing whatever. Stealing trucks, tossing grenades, hosing the area with the MG, sniping. At some point a BTR came bouncing in. It was like coming back to an unsupervised kid's party after three hours. biggrin I realize a lot of this is due to the influx on the free weekend, but my point is the game didn't seem to encourage tactical gameplay much.

I might give it another try, but ArmA is familiar and deep, and Argo now distils that depth into some really tight gameplay, so Squad needs to hit a home run for me I guess and it may just not be for me at this point, especially with the high level of commitment it seems to require to play it in the desired way.

Thanks for the inputs though!

Don Quixote's misfortune is not his imagination, but Sancho Panza.
#4311550 - 11/12/16 08:33 PM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

This weekend is worse than any other time I have played. Must be all the free people causing chaos. Still I enjoy the game and glad I backed it a long time ago.

#4311935 - 11/14/16 12:03 PM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
I bought Squad two days ago and like it. It was nothing like COD for me, it is very much like Insurgency but on much larger maps and with some vehicles to drive. I like it better than Insurgency due to larger maps but both are good games.

#4312130 - 11/15/16 12:16 AM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

With as many people that now have it, we should see about having an official session. You don't need a server. We just all meet up on TS and find a server to play on and create our own squad.

I haven't played it in months but if we all organized a night, I'd play.

#4312200 - 11/15/16 11:25 AM Re: Squad Updates [Re: bonchie]  
Fudge93 Offline
Fudge93  Offline

England
Me and Tempus would likely be up for a session as well. I've been playing with another, less tactically minded friend on public servers and it seems great fun with the right squad. I will say that we have to time joining a server just right, we tried a few with 10+ slots and they were full before we got in. Almost empty servers with only around 10 players seem to fill pretty quickly as well, with almost no servers in between!

With as many people that now have it, we should see about having an official session. You don't need a server. We just all meet up on TS and find a server to play on and create our own squad.

combtpilot.co.uk
#4312247 - 11/15/16 02:00 PM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I'd be in for an official session, post here when you want to do one. My band has a few weekends off coming up I'll try to make it.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#4312348 - 11/15/16 05:42 PM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
I'd be up to join in as I have been enjoying playing recently.

#4312533 - 11/16/16 05:31 AM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Ratcatcher]  
JG26 vonVampr Offline
JG26 vonVampr  Offline

MI USA
I picked it up over the weekend and have been playing it ever since. I really enjoy it when on the right team with the right leader. I'd be down to play as well. Linebacker and I have played it together some and I'm sure he'd be interested as well.

#4312685 - 11/16/16 09:45 PM Re: Squad Updates [Re: gongo2k1]  
JG26 vonVampr Offline
JG26 vonVampr  Offline

MI USA
Originally Posted By: gongo2k1
Things have settled down a bit since the free weekend ended. There are still some silly people who bought the game just to grief everyone, but it's mostly just newer players (like me) still learning the ropes and honestly wanting to play well.

Last night I had a good game but realized that it wouldn't have been very exciting to watch, so I deleted the video. We took a point in AAS, swept the area for hostiles, and built an FOB and ammo crate while the rest of the team pushed the next point. We had a couple squads harass us here and there, but we were able to set up some defenses and coordinate a logistics truck to resupply us. Then the point ahead of us fell and suddenly all hell broke loose as we were holding back the enemies' push, wave after wave.

Oddly enough, the fighting at the end was pretty annoying. I really liked playing defense and building stuff. The best games have been ones where I'm on FOB building detail, lol. Something very satisfying about running around with a shovel franticly building sandbags and hescos while bullets and RPGs are hitting closer and closer.

I was born to be a grunt. ready

Yeah, I don't mind playing "Bob the Builder" from time to time, but I didn't really get Squad to mirror Mindcraft, lol. I love the fire fights and CQC sweeping and defending villages. The battles can be loud, exciting and VERY intense. I'll try and record some this week, wish I had done some recording of a few fights that were very intense and had my heart pumping for quite a while.

#4313848 - 11/21/16 05:27 AM Re: Squad Updates [Re: bonchie]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ

6700 views of this thread yet this is my view of SimHQ’s interest in ANY sort of tactical shooter ...

It definitely ain’t happnin’ here fellas.

Maybe try SQUAD OPS ... http://www.squadops.gg/

#4314074 - 11/21/16 09:12 PM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Linebacker]  
JG26 vonVampr Offline
JG26 vonVampr  Offline

MI USA
Originally Posted By: Linebacker

6700 views of this thread yet this is my view of SimHQ’s interest in ANY sort of tactical shooter ...

It definitely ain’t happnin’ here fellas.

Maybe try SQUAD OPS ... http://www.squadops.gg/

Ah yep, you hit the nail on the head, it ain't happening here at all. Did you join the website yet? Didn't see you signed up for Wed. Op and it's getting full so you better hurry. You will also have to have Discord up and running and use push-to-talk mic only. I'll try to catch you later tonight if you're online.

#4314100 - 11/21/16 11:17 PM Re: Squad Updates [Re: JG26 vonVampr]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Ok, I'm registered for the Wednesday Op. Squad Ops is definitely a great find Vamp ... thanks for dropping me the line on it.

Maybe see you later tonight on SimHQ TS so you can give me some pointers on it and Discord and whatever else.

#4314257 - 11/22/16 02:36 PM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Also there is a SimHQ discord channel where we play games together. Might be worth poping in there and seeing if anyone is online to play with when you sit down to play squad.

Linebacker,

www.discordapp.com

Then register an account with your email. Your email is your username but you can change your display name on each server you are connected to with /nick

once you have registered an account and youre are logged in, look in the bottom left. There is a circle with a + sign. Click that and input the "invite codes" for the servers you want to join.

For SimHQ it is https://discord.gg/0m2XEcx3ywjsGkFt
for squadops it is https://discordapp.com/invite/0xEQMnVYdqZaQtAS

technically you just need to input the hash code at the end.

Last edited by Master; 11/22/16 02:36 PM.
#4314294 - 11/22/16 04:24 PM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Thanks for the SimHQ discord invite Master but I'm not really into general gaming.

#4315554 - 11/27/16 04:50 AM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
So in a nutshell, Squad Ops (http://www.squadops.gg/) runs a tight ship full of GREAT tactical shooting! 70 players (35 per side)!

I played my first op last Wednesday and had a blast! It can get pretty intense and disorienting due to the dynamic nature of the custom missions, even within the confines of the 9 man squad, but I was pretty much smiling ear to ear all the way. A lot of the “higher ups” in the organization really seem to know their sh*t.

#4315575 - 11/27/16 09:54 AM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
Sounds great, unfortunately I haven't had much success joining their forum as it asks for my steam ID, but for what ever reason, its not being recognized.

I know its definitely the right one as I have copy/pasted it in and gone on to other sites which display Steam ID info and it shows up correctly there. Might try again today, because that really sounds a great experience!

EDIT - Please disregard the above. Just tried again and its all good!

Last edited by Ratcatcher; 11/27/16 05:36 PM.
#4316612 - 12/01/16 04:08 AM Re: Squad Updates [Re: Master]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
A couple of Squad Ops screenshots from last night ...

BLUFOR briefing (with full directional audio of course) ...

Beautiful yet foggy day in the neighborhood ...

Here's the op ... not sure how long it'll be here ...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YPx-UQ2046Dme2Nsv2D1IyvklChdxonpJn8oVyoK7pc/edit

I should mention to the tactical simulation purists that these are one life missions. You cannot be revived if you're critically injured. When you're dead you're dead ... but you still have a great spectator mode. smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.