Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4311744 - 11/13/16 05:55 PM Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost  
Mukai92 Offline
Mukai92  Offline

Hey guys, started playing this again after getting the UE, mostly played quick combat but gonna start a new campaign in a Pup or SE. But I've a few questions about missions that I'm having trouble with.

I'm finding it very difficult to see enemies at a distance, and to some degree in dogfights. Any tips for spotting distant enemies?

When we do engage and I get on the tail of an enemy, as soon as i get a good few hits in he spins out or dives for the deck, in most cases I follow but my flight generally stays up top with their targets. I'm finding more often than not I get left behind or i completely lose sight of my friends and most navigate back to friendly territory myself. I'm just wondering what i should be doing? Should i stick with my flight and maintain the fight up amongst them? Or should i pursue the enemy? How do i regroup with friendlies after the fight?

Also for claims, I'm not sure who is in the area when i shoot down an enemy as a witness, any tips for making claims?

#4311753 - 11/13/16 06:48 PM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Pursuit: When an enemy dives out of a furball I try to stay high and not follow him down. I prefer not to get pulled away and end up alone, nor do I like to give up elevation.

Claims: Just put the name of any squad mate that was with you on the mission (and who is still alive). That works as good as anything for me.

#4311754 - 11/13/16 06:55 PM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

It might be boring to fly this way...but I've read that First priority is to complete the mission. So, I believe it's enough to drive away the enemy if they're in the way and stay with your flight to help them complete their mission and make it back to base. HQ benefits more from photos/recon of enemy positions or to prevent recon/bombers reaching their target rather than shooting down a couple of planes.

#4311755 - 11/13/16 06:55 PM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Spotting enemies is typically only going to happen under 2 to 2.5 miles when they become visible as black specs.

When the enemy dives away you have to make a decision whether to pursue him and risk losing your flight, or to let him go and then go and aid your flight members. I usually choose the latter especially if I see one in trouble. In campaigns it is all about keeping flight members alive and improving the ratings of your flight. That of course is my opinion.

Claims is not so hard when you can choose a flight member from the drop down list. I generally note who my wing man is because he is usually close by.

All of the above is predicated on DiD flying. If you are nor into DiD you can use all the aids like labels, tac, etc

Flight regrouping is dependant on what your flight is currently doing.If they are in combat you will not get a regroup and will get a msg about AS2 not allowing it. The only thing that consistently works is the "return to base". You the have to watch for them and rejoin them.

Hope that helps and that I haven't left too much out.

I am being short because I hate typing on my pgone.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4311914 - 11/14/16 09:44 AM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
zifnow Offline
zifnow  Offline

Hello Mukai,

as the guys said, you need to pick a choice: chase or remain in formation. If you decide to chase pick a few seconds to look around, look your direction, because after one or two turns, you will easily lose your orientation.

By the least try to keep in mind which is the closest direction, on your compass, to get back home. It's very easy in combat to lose track of your squadron. You may occasionally regain it if you pick again the patrol route, or sometimes happened to me to meet them back on the way home, heading for my aerodrome.

You know, WWI air tactic was a trial and error matter. WOFF offers you a lot of aid if you want to get some help (automatic map, dots, labels and more). If you want to full dive into WWI spirit, apart being killed smile just save a little of cold blood and try to improve your situational awareness:

-position
-direction
-landmarks
-frontline
-friendly and enemy planes

You can even stick onto your leader tail, whatever happens, and stay in conctact with him untill you feel more comfortable on taking the initiative.

#4311951 - 11/14/16 12:56 PM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
My quick and rough advice, if you are flying for the good chaps, your rule of thumb should be... when lost or disoriented, or running away, head west whilst trying to get your bearings, at least you are heading for friendly lines.

If you are flying for the nasty hun type chappies, you need to runaway to the east!

I always check the position of the sun in relation to my aeroplane once I'm heading towards the front... then remember if you need a quick reference if disengaging from a fight and running home, the sun needs to be in the opposite position... again, you should be heading in a roughly friendly direction.

That's all for now, Bung Ho chaps!

#4312009 - 11/14/16 04:18 PM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

All great advice. Campaign mode is all about staying alive for as long as possible, so unless you're a budding Verner Voss, play it safe smile The only thing I would add, is earlier in the war (late 1915 thru mid 1916) you can dive down and follow with less chance of ending your career, because there are less craft around in general. You'll still have a job getting back to your flight and you still need to watch out over enemy lines that you don't get too low. Enemies will often draw you over to their side so that ground fire can aid their cause :/

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4312059 - 11/14/16 06:23 PM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
Mukai92 Offline
Mukai92  Offline

Ok guys, many thanks! smile Its great help. I've flown a few missions now and mostly stuck with my flight, except for one awkward moment where I lost my flight, thought I found them and ended up landing at a friendly airfield with the wrong squadron :/ Baby steps i guess, but would have been pretty funny in RL if they were doing a headcount at the end of a mission and had an extra machine XD

#4312135 - 11/15/16 12:32 AM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Mukai92, I've read a number of accounts where after becoming separated from his flight, pilots joined up with other friendly squadrons for their patrol. Either that or they made it back over friendly lines, there to stooge about until their normal two hours of patrol time were up and they could return home with honour.

#4312139 - 11/15/16 12:52 AM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Raine]  
Mukai92 Offline
Mukai92  Offline

Well thats not too bad so, I don't feel as stupid now smile

One other thing, we were over the front balloon busting and my wingman was forced down and captured, but for the next mission he was right back as if nothing happened, Why is that? I don't think he was an ace? (Sgt Edgar Alfred No.54, January 1917)

#4312165 - 11/15/16 02:30 AM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted By: Mukai92

One other thing, we were over the front balloon busting and my wingman was forced down and captured, but for the next mission he was right back as if nothing happened, Why is that? I don't think he was an ace? (Sgt Edgar Alfred No.54, January 1917)

He escaped from captivity..when the Huns slept that night Mukai biggrin thumbsup

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4312169 - 11/15/16 02:45 AM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

One other thing, we were over the front balloon busting and my wingman was forced down and captured, but for the next mission he was right back as if nothing happened, Why is that?

WOFF is an awesome game....period! As far as I know, it does track the progress of non-HA pilots including captured, missing, injured and death. So, it could be a possibility that your wingman did escape. Also, the longer these pilots survive missions, the better they get.

...and here comes another mission editor recommendation. biggrin

HINT: Edit your squad to take your favorite pilots on missions back to back to quickly increase their skill and morale.

#4312350 - 11/15/16 05:53 PM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
The AI of WOFF is extremely "Human-Like". Play a While and you will notice, that every Squad has a different Attitude of handling Things. This is, because the Squads consist of different Individuals. For Example, the Jasta12 is overly cautious and "specialized" on hunting single EA with the complete Bunch. If they spot multiple EA on the Horizon, they instantly head Home. Jasta11 on the other Hand mainly consists of over-agressive Lunatics... they attack almost everything. I don't remember an Occasion, where they actually avoided a Fight.
Over all, it is not the worst Idea to adapt your Stallel's/ Esc's Attitude, once, you've found it out.

#4312477 - 11/16/16 12:49 AM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Adger]  
Mukai92 Offline
Mukai92  Offline

Originally Posted By: Adger

He escaped from captivity..when the Huns slept that night Mukai biggrin thumbsup

Well I wouldn't be surprised, on more than one occasion he's snuck up behind me and shot down the Hun I'd been lacing into, cheeky bugger.

On another note, and I apologize for all the questions, must i fly a mission every day? I do eventually want to fly new craft in this campaign, provided i survive, but its gonna take a lot of missions. I saw somewhere u could request leave? I don't see any button to do this tho

#4312531 - 11/16/16 05:07 AM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Make sure you have "Manual Time Advance" checked in the workshop? You can then jump forward days or weeks at a time. I usually fly my campaigns advancing every three days or so to simulate the sorties where enemy contact could be possible. I would never have time to get anywhere in the war if I flew every sortie...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4312589 - 11/16/16 01:55 PM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Every couple days a button appears where you can request leave. Usually 48 hours. After longer periods without going on short leave, you will get the option to take 5 days leave. It might get granted, or during offensives etc. denied.

You can actually fly everyday missions as they come. Usually if flying cautious like your life is on stake etc.(not attacking everything under every circumstance etc.), you won't fight in every flight. You can also reduce air activity, so the chance to run into enemies where you have to fight is reduced. Some other options in WS too. So actually no need to manually advance couple days but simply flying the missions as they come. You will notice that you are going to have contact with enemies only every couple flights. Going into actual fights with them even less. And going home with victories even lesser. Quite realistic. Seeing enemies does not mean automatically fighting them. Eventually you might have a kill every 20 to 30 flight hours, which is rather historical if you are an moderate ace or one of the better pilots. All depending on period, offensives etc. of course. Sometimes many kills in few hours, sometimes many hours without any kills at all.
Good thing is everything is adjustable in WS for any taste thumbsup

#4312634 - 11/16/16 06:07 PM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Creaghorn]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Creaghorn
Every couple days a button appears where you can request leave. Usually 48 hours. After longer periods without going on short leave, you will get the option to take 5 days leave. It might get granted, or during offensives etc. denied.

You can actually fly everyday missions as they come. Usually if flying cautious like your life is on stake etc.(not attacking everything under every circumstance etc.), you won't fight in every flight. You can also reduce air activity, so the chance to run into enemies where you have to fight is reduced. Some other options in WS too. So actually no need to manually advance couple days but simply flying the missions as they come. You will notice that you are going to have contact with enemies only every couple flights. Going into actual fights with them even less. And going home with victories even lesser. Quite realistic. Seeing enemies does not mean automatically fighting them. Eventually you might have a kill every 20 to 30 flight hours, which is rather historical if you are an moderate ace or one of the better pilots. All depending on period, offensives etc. of course. Sometimes many kills in few hours, sometimes many hours without any kills at all.

Very nice summarizatkon Creaghlrn!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4312651 - 11/16/16 07:30 PM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Creaghorn]  
Mukai92 Offline
Mukai92  Offline

Originally Posted By: Creaghorn

Perfect, thanks for the summary Creaghorn, much appreciated!! smile I'm really enjoying my flights at the moment and was just awarded the military cross for a mission where I saved my wingman, the infamous Sgt Edgar, by shooting a roland off his tail, I guess he can't steal my kills that way smile Really loving it so far!

Last edited by Mukai92; 11/16/16 07:30 PM.
#4312997 - 11/17/16 10:34 PM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: Mukai92]  
busdriver Offline
busdriver  Offline

Ok guys, many thanks! smile Its great help. I've flown a few missions now and mostly stuck with my flight, except for one awkward moment where I lost my flight, thought I found them and ended up landing at a friendly airfield with the wrong squadron :/ Baby steps i guess, but would have been pretty funny in RL if they were doing a headcount at the end of a mission and had an extra machine XD

Way back in a previous RL time, during major exercise in Korea, our Wing launched 40 airplanes (10 four-ships) all attacking targets in one general area (think a lot of airplanes). Our standard procedure if you got separated from your flight was to rejoin with a friendly flight. Coming off the target at low level, I had the other three of my flight in sight, and noticed another F-16 started flying tactical formation off of me. He was on a different VHF frequency so he couldn't identify himself. We came back to base, Lead gave us the visual signal (big wing rock) to get us back into close formation, then he echeloned us to the right. By this time we were on UHF Tower frequency so #5 (a squadron mate) was on the radio with us. We flew up Initial for a left hand break with 5 airplanes.

My point? While you might think your actions were awkward (you paid for all the drinks in the Officer's Mess that night), you were pretty smart tactically. Navy guys would say "Bravo Zulu" us Air Force types would say "Sh*t Hot!" thumbsup

#4313038 - 11/18/16 12:47 AM Re: Need some help with flying etiquette, formations and not getting lost [Re: busdriver]  
Mukai92 Offline
Mukai92  Offline

Originally Posted By: busdriver

Way back in a previous RL time, during major exercise in Korea, our Wing launched 40 airplanes (10 four-ships) all attacking targets in one general area (think a lot of airplanes). Our standard procedure if you got separated from your flight was to rejoin with a friendly flight. Coming off the target at low level, I had the other three of my flight in sight, and noticed another F-16 started flying tactical formation off of me. He was on a different VHF frequency so he couldn't identify himself. We came back to base, Lead gave us the visual signal (big wing rock) to get us back into close formation, then he echeloned us to the right. By this time we were on UHF Tower frequency so #5 (a squadron mate) was on the radio with us. We flew up Initial for a left hand break with 5 airplanes.

My point? While you might think your actions were awkward (you paid for all the drinks in the Officer's Mess that night), you were pretty smart tactically. Navy guys would say "Bravo Zulu" us Air Force types would say "Sh*t Hot!" thumbsup

Its great to get a first hand account of the procedure thats used, many thanks busdriver! smile And rounds were deffinetly on me thumbsup

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM