Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 438 of 442 1 2 436 437 438 439 440 441 442
#4311109 - 11/11/16 02:50 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart ***** [Re: Olham]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Jim, glad to hear you're not hurt! What you described sounds like a very dangerous situation.

Raine, a brilliant ending to Jack's story. You really brought his whole career and that lost world of the early 20th century to life. I feel sorry to let go of these wonderful DID characters!

Lou, what a fine conclusion to Arty's adventures, and perfectly in keeping with the style. I bet he will again manage to find himself in a tight spot or two also later in his life! smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4311170 - 11/11/16 05:42 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
I can't beleave its been what 2.5 yrs now.
Huzzar to the ones that made it all the way, no idea how you did that.
That was a very nice community campaign and thank you Olham for getting this started.

Guinness for the lads tonight me thinks

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4311234 - 11/11/16 07:44 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Abner's final story will be told on Saturday but I can't guarantee that it will be anywhere as interesting and entertaining as the stories that have already been told. It has been a fun journey.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4311291 - 11/11/16 10:44 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Banjoman, we look forward to Abner's final story.

lederhosen, thanks for the Guinness!

Hasse, a wonderful yet bittersweet final episode to Albrecht's amazing adventure.

Jim, I certainly hope you get everything sorted out at home after that lightning strike. We nearly lost our barn to a lightning strike several years ago. A scary amount of power and destruction in one of those bolts.

OldHat, an excellent suggestion on putting together a final sortie home.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4311419 - 11/12/16 11:57 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Folks;

This is a very quick statement to say that I am literally "up a tree" in my hunt stand and have not yet been able to close off "Mushroom"s" story or to appropriately thank all for their contributions. I will do so by Monday. I find appropriate contribution finicky on my cell phone so I will not attempt it now.

Cheers to you all and it has been a great ride!!

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 11/12/16 11:57 AM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4311472 - 11/12/16 04:02 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

So it was over - yesterday, at 11 AM.
Thanks to all with the long breath, who carried this "DiD Campaign" to it's historical ending.

I must admit, I missed the most of it all recently, and so I don't know which pilots survived the war.
Lou, are you going to make any final charts, of best pilots, fallen and alive?

Another DiD Campaign might be a great idea - starting as early as there were scout planes?
No idea when, I admit.

Are there any plans? Is there any interest in a "DiD Campaign 2.0" ? Or "DiD Campaign UE" ?
I hope there will be, even though I am not flying recently.
It might attract me to return to the skies one day, though.

Thank you all for having been in here!

Olham

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4311502 - 11/12/16 05:21 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Olham, the short answer is YES to DiD 2.0.

I would like to thank you, Lou, Jim, and all who made this campaign such an enjoyable experience!

#4311634 - 11/13/16 03:48 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala

On November 1st the 17th Aero Squadron was moved by train to the aerodrome at Toul in the American Sector. On its arrival, the 17th Aero Squadron was assigned to the 4th Pursuit Group of the Second American Army and was assigned to Gengault aerodrome on the north side of the city. The AEF assigned the French SPAD S.XI aeroplane to the squadron, but before the squadron was fully organized, the armistice with Germany was signed on November 11th and active operations by the squadron ended.

On December 12, 1918 orders were received from Second Army for the squadron to report to the 1st Air Depot, to turn all of its supplies and equipment and were relieved from duty with the AEF. The personnel of the squadron were ordered to the staging camp at Nantes on January 15th. There the men waited to be transported home to the United States. The squadron arrived in New York at the end of March and was subsequently demobilized.

Abner made his way home from New York but almost 2 years of war had changed him. He arrived in the middle of April to a hero’s welcome which embarrassed him greatly, but Orange doesn’t get too many heroes so he held his tongue. It was an awkward time for both Abner and his parents because they didn’t quite understand the change in their boy and he didn’t quite know how to fit into a peace time life. He was determined to get back to the life he had known before the war and was making progress, but when his mother passed in the fall of ’19 he had to move on. He traveled out west looking for that elusive peace that he couldn’t seem to find at home. In the spring of ’23 through the advice of an old war flying buddy, he signed on with The Flying Aces Air Circus and tried his hand at barnstorming. The flying was good and the pay wasn’t bad either and it looked like this might be what he had been looking for all those years, but after about 5 years, that old demon wanderlust had gripped him again and he packed up and moved. In the fall of ’30 he was in Topeka barely scrapping by flying fat shopkeepers and housewives in his old Jenny when he saw a flyer for the ’31 Air Nationals. He scrimped, saved and even used his war record to land a sponsor. He loved the life of an air racer, full of the danger that he craved. He won a few races, made enough money to satisfy the sponsors and was beginning to think that he had found his place. Tragedy struck when he was flying a qualifying race in Kansas City and he suffered a horrible crash. He lost power in a turn and collided with another pilot. Abner was badly injured and his flying days were over, the other pilot was killed. He always walked with a limp after the accident and when he was older he used a cane. After the accident, life finally settled down for Abner. He met his wife Betty, who just happened to be his nurse, and they were married in the spring of ’32. They lived a simple life in Kansas City and unfortunately for them, had no children. He had finally found the peace that he had so desperately sought. They were married almost 25 years to the day when Betty suffered a massive heart attack and died. With the passing of his beloved wife, Abner decided it was finally time to go home and so he headed back to Orange. Of course, in 1957 nobody in Orange remembered who he was, which suited him just fine. One beautiful spring day while Abner was sitting and watching the shipyard, a young boy of about 10 fearfully approached him. The young boy screwed up his courage and said, “Mister, is it true you were a fighter pilot in World War I.” Abner answered, “Yes, that’s true.” The boy was all smiles and said, “Did you know The Red Baron?” Abner laughed and said, “Well, I don’t think you could say that I knew him, but I did shoot him down one time. Young feller, sit right down and let me tell you a story.”

#4311660 - 11/13/16 11:45 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

A satisfying conclusion to another great DID career! Abner gave the campaign a uniquely American perspective; I particularly liked the chapters about his tour in the US with Charlie Chaplin and other celebrities of the time. clapping

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

#4311675 - 11/13/16 01:08 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Hasse, compliments coming from you mean a lot to me. Maybe someday I will be able to write a story as well as you. I really enjoyed Abner, but I think I enjoyed the stories more.

#4312625 - 11/16/16 04:11 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Can you believe it? I lost the internet with my new modem of 2 hours and also lost my telephone line on the 11th of November nope . It took the telecom people 5 days to get here which did not make me happy. The guy said that the modem itself had a short in it and that took the telephone with it. Anyway I now have yet another ADSL modem today the 16th of November sigh So I will now be able to get you a latest chart sometime tonight. I have to go fetch my wife from the hospital first though when they tell me to go there.

The good thing about not having internet is that I have sorted out my very dirty and oily garage, thrown a lot of junk away, cleaned the floor and painted half of it so far. It was painted light grey with 2-pack paint in about 2000 and this paint is polyeurathane. Either way the stuff is expensive but it looks good.

Watch this space for the final chart .....

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4312952 - 11/17/16 07:19 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

This DID was some of the finest time there ever was flying WOFF for me personally. Thank you all for the work and the wonderful stories. I still think some of you should consider writing a WWI aviation novel. The stories were that good! In answer to Olhams question. Yes in deed!

Thanks again for a wonderful time folks. And for those that cannot wait, the war is just getting good over on the DID Centenary Campaign.

Mark

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4313227 - 11/18/16 03:46 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave

I agree with Mfair. A good time indeed with all the disasters

#4313690 - 11/20/16 03:34 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Just wondering if we have a final stats report available now.

(System_Specs)

#4314412 - 11/22/16 11:33 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Sorry, I couldn't resist one last story. It's become something of a habit.

----------------------------------

Postscript 1923 – Delhi
The city was a building site. British India's grand designs made manifest in stone. Lutyens' Delhi was still taking shape, but the government of India would not wait. While the council required pomp and circumstance, a surprising amount of work was taking place in quiet bungalows partially hidden amongst groves of blossom trees.
"Welcome to my humble abode!" Cadogan West shook Jack Cairns' hand. "What do you think of the new capital?"
Cairns was lightly dressed in cream coloured blazer and Panama. "It's lovely." He indicated the bundle in his wife's arms, "Edmund didn't care for the crowds, but it is nice around here. Westie, you have done well!

"This is my darling wife Vanessa and my son Edmund."

"Delighted to meet you Vanessa. And look at you!" Cadogan grinned and mugged to Edmund's bemusement. "Dorothy is inside, along with my little bundle of joy. Edith is a little handful, I must warn you!"

As they turned to go indoors Cadogan addressed an Indian servant. "Sahil, please take the Cairns' bags to the guest room."

Edith, was fascinated by little Edmund and spent most of the next hour staring at the baby as Dorothy played hostess, pressing tea and cakes on their visitors.

That evening, dinner was a simple affair. As they sat at the table after the ladies had withdrawn, Cadogan told Jack, "I thought that you wouldn't have liked a dinner party after your long journey. We do frequently have them - it helps keep the local ex-pat community happy. You don't fancy yourself an amateur detective do you Jack?"

Cairns raised an eyebrow. "No. Why?"

"I won't have detectives at a dinner party," Cadogan sniffed. "They're quite the fad these days, but too dangerous."*

They regaled each other with stories. None of them were from the war. Instead Cadogan talked about his time in the office of Lord Reading, the Viceroy of India.

"We're making ourselves redundant." Cadogan related, "even while we build all this, we train native Indians to serve in government. And no matter how many we take on, the National Congress say that we haven't done enough. Quite thankless. So I joined the Archaeological Survey. Sir John has been working hard on some fascinating sites in the Indus Valley. They are extremely old. Cities that might be as old as Ur."

He poured Cairns another drink. "The sites that we have found, we have excavated exhaustively. So we are looking for more. The mounds don't look like much; low hills made of mud brick. I suggested aerial reconnaisance and I recommended you."

"Thank you Cadogan." Cairns took a sip of his drink. "We've done some interesting work in that sort of thing. Last year in Jordan we found huge circles. They couldn't be seen from the ground, but they were associated with artefacts that suggested they were from the time of Christ."

"Astonishing!"

"Yes indeed. I already have a government engagement. Can't say much, but it involves the area of the Kush."
"Fierce tribes," Cadogan murmured.
"Yes indeed. The upper Indus could conceivably be on my route. I'll see if I can give you a week at the end of my trip."

"That's not much. We are talking huge areas."

"Sorry old man, I want to get back to England by summer. You know how it is."

Cadogan grinned, "I do indeed. I'm grateful for whatever help you can give me."

Postscript 1945 - The Rhineland.
The British army had established itself in Paderborn. Most of the city had been destroyed by bomber command. Nissen huts and tents were everywhere.

Nearby Wewelsburg had not been hit as badly. Two RAF officers sat in a car that was approaching a townhouse that would have been non-descript if it wasn't for the armed guards.

"Have you visited the castle?" the more senior officer asked his companion.

"Yes I have," Cadogan West replied, his lips twitched at the memory. "What an abomination! If Himmler hadn't set fire to it, I would have!"

"Pity we never bombed it properly for him!" The Air Vice-Marshall's moustache bent upwards above a grin.
"Shame really," West conceded. "It was probably rather nice before old Heinrich got his hands on it. Oh, we're here. Thanks again for letting me come along, by the way."

"You're welcome! This is really a treat for both of us." Burroughs smiled. "It wouldn't normally take two brass hats to do this."

The German officer rose from his seat by the window as they walked in. He looked tired with sad eyes that still showed a proud defiance. His uniform was in considerable disrepair, but he wore it proudly.

"Generalleutnant Niemann?"

Niemann nodded, "yes."
"It is an honour to meet you," the RAF officer with a walking stick declared and saluted.
"Do you speak English?"
"A bit," Niemann replied cautiously. "There is a translator also."
"Captain Jurdyga, yes," Cadogan beckoned to the guard at the door.

"I had hoped we wouldn't need the translator, no offence captain," Burroughs said after Captain Jurdyga had been brought in. "I am Air Vice Marshall Artemus Burroughs, and this is Group Captain Cadogan West. We are the bearers of good news.

"The investigators are satisfied that you were never a member of the Nazi party nor part of their attrocities. As such you are free to go."

Niemann looked surprised. "Free?"

"Yes. You can leave here any time you like," Burroughs looked from West to Niemann. "We wouldn't normally deliver news like this but West and I remember your conduct in the last war. Because of that, we called in a few favours.**

"Artemus Burroughs?" Niemann's voice lifted in recognition, "something of a celebrity. It is indeed an honour to finally meet such a famous and noble flier. It was a better age that we knew."
"Sadly, I think that you are right about that," Burroughs turned around to West who handed over a bottle."It shouldn't be better," Artemus poured out four measures, "but it was. Perhaps you would take a drink with us? In the hope of a better time to come."

Niemann looked at the proffered bottle. "Mount Gay rum? Is rum not the drink of the British navy? Are you an old sailor like myself, Burroughs?"

"No, neither of us are," Cadogan West handed out a glass each to Burroughs and Niemann. One for the translator and one for himself.

"The rum is in honour of another flyer we once knew. Ward, if you remember him?"
"Ward, ah yes. A menace to us, as much as I tried to be a menace to you."
"Indeed," Burroughs nodded. He raised his glass, "Now; to the brave men we knew and the hope that we will never see such times again!"
"Cheers!"
"Prost!"***
"Na Zdrowia!"
"Santé," Cadogan toasted and downed his glass.

"Santé?" Artemus asked quizzically.
"I just thought that I ought to include the French somehow," Cadogan explained.

* One of the hazards of living in a semi-literary world. If Agatha Christie has taught me anything, it is never to invite a detective to dinner.

** I'm not sure who really organised this. Both Cadogan West and Burroughs have connections with the intelligence service.
Burroughs rubbed shoulders with spymasters during the war and it sound like he might have continued to work with them into the 1920s.
West had Captain Stephenson on his squadron. Codenamed Intrepid, Stephenson was the foremost man in British Intelligence's American operations during WW2.
Cadogan's cousin, Freddie West VC was also an air attaché to the embassies in Rome and Berne during the war. He did help allied escapees from Germany and I strongly suspect he would be another intelligence contact that Cadogan could pull a favour with. There is also the acquaintance with a certain Jack Cairns, adventurer archaeologist.

*** German speakers, is this an appropriate toast for a spirit like rum? I think that Niemann would be quite precise when it comes to such things.

OK, you got me. That was two final stories.

#4314418 - 11/22/16 11:59 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
He He, I'm flattered by the reference to Ward, and enjoyed how you weaved a tale that brought West, Burroughs, Niemann and Cairns into the picture for a final time. thumbsup

The DiD was surely a fine experience and one I thoroughly enjoyed. Let's raise the glasses folks! cheers

(System_Specs)

#4314424 - 11/23/16 12:47 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Maeran, as Jack would put it you've written a topping yarn to cap off the first DiD campaign! You did a great job painting the domestic scenes in India. They felt true to the period (I lived in Calcutta for a short time as a young boy). Very well done. It was wonderful to meet all these characters one more time.

By the way, since you mentioned detectives I should point out that Jack Cairns's "fugue state" episode following his mid-air collision with Lloyd-Evans and his crash had an interesting connection to Agatha Christie. You'll remember that he met Major Archie Christie at No 1 AD soon afterwards (p. 813). It seems that Archie must have mentioned Jack's amnesia to his wife Agatha. And Agatha must have filed the episode away, for in December 1928, shortly after Archie announced he was leaving her for another woman, Agatha disappeared without trace for eleven days. When found in a hotel in Yorkshire, she was disoriented and claimed to have no recollection of her whereabouts during the time she was missing.

In another Agatha Christie connection, back at page 812 Jack met Geoffrey Wooley VC in the Isolation Hospital while recovering from influenza. Wooley's brother Leonard was assistant to Max Mallowan, a noted archaeologist. Max Mallowan later became Agatha Christie's second husband.

Can't wait to do it all again. What say you all, Barmy Ones?

#4314492 - 11/23/16 12:15 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Maeran, that was simply a fantastic conclusion to this DID campaign! You did a wonderful job of bringing most of our pilots together for one final scene. Bravo!

This whole thread really reads like a good book. smile

When should the next DID campaign start? Raine already suggested the coming 1st of January, which would be January 1, 1916 in WOFF. In my opinion, it would be a good start date with a decent number of squadrons available for all services.

Do we need any changes to the rules? One thing I'd like to suggest is to be able to choose your pilot's rank more freely than originally. The whole "from private to field marshal" hero's journey is getting a bit old, in my humble opinion. It simply wasn't all that common in real life either. Having a more liberal interpretation of the rules on this point would open up possibilities for more varied storytelling.

#4314524 - 11/23/16 01:38 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Maeran, that was really quite superb Sir. A wonderful pulling together of our virtual adventures. If time allows I do still intend to write up some sort of closing for Arty, and you called it spot on about him staying in the RAF and moving up into a very senior position.

I don't know what to think about the next DID campaign. Part of me wants to start at the very beginning in August of 1914 despite the boredom of the early war. Another part wants to begin around the time suggested by Raine. And yet another part of me doesn't want to do it at all, at least not for quite a while. Very torn on this.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4314529 - 11/23/16 01:43 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Again??? depends on what the Dev's have planned. Should they, by chance, be producing a few more early bombers then it may be better to wait.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
Page 438 of 442 1 2 436 437 438 439 440 441 442

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM