Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
#4311274 - 11/11/16 09:46 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: GrayGhost]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
NTTR and Normandy don't have a dependency on the core engine?

sigh

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4311276 - 11/11/16 09:53 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: Antoninus]  
xXNightEagleXx Offline
xXNightEagleXx  Offline

Originally Posted By: Antoninus
Originally Posted By: xXNightEagleXx
Originally Posted By: Antoninus
DCS a true WW2 study sim

Is that a joke? Otherwise i really cannot understand how a game with a extremely scripted damage system can become a ww2 study sim. Good flight model simulator, but not even close ww2 battle simulator. WW2 dogfights where about deliver the proper hit to specific airframe with the proper ammo...a mile away from current gaming overall hitpoints system.
I would consider CLOD a much more realistic ww2 than dcs even with its limited flight model

A new damage system for WW2 planes (and presumably everything else in due time) is in development and will be released together with the Spitfire or some time thereafter.

Link to ED forums were the new DM is discussed: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170625

Thanks for this info! I'll keep an eye on this but i would not hold my breath.

#4311277 - 11/11/16 09:53 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: GrayGhost]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
The message isn't negative, you are.

You just agreed with me that the message is negative, and now you say it isn't and accuse ME of being negative?

Let me try that again....
Please enlighten us how to view "we told you it's coming out in 2016, but it's not anymore" as a positive. I'm listening.
They're working on 2.5, but suddenly Nevada and Normandy gets priority? Please tell me how to view that as a positive?

I know you called it, everyone called it - in case you haven't noticed, it's just a flat out tradition with ED for things to be pushed back. You have literally done zero, zilch, zip, squat and nada out of the ordinary - you've been beating a dead horse, and that's what's negative - you just can't stop yourself.

So everyone who keeps on pushing the positive have, by your logic, done nothing out of the ordinary and are also beating a dead horse? Then they're also negative as they can't stop themselves from pushing the positive. See where I'm going here?

Let's recap, shall we?

- There are a whole bunch of fixes in 1.5.5, and a lot of tweaks. There are some new features as well.
- You asked (or at least some people asked) that ED communicate when things get pushed back and/or priorities change. Well, they just did, officially.
- Work is proceeding on Nevada and Normandy, which is something a lot of people are looking forward to.
- The hornet's being worked on, and as I recall Wags pretty much said 'more news around this time'. This is the news, it's taking longer than they expected but work is proceeding.

Sure, it's a step in the right direction, but do you really expect us "naysayers" to turn over a new leaf overnight? Let's see where ED goes with this... if they communicate more, that'll be a good thing, but they'll have to step up their game on more than just communications to improve their image. They've had a long and distinguished track record of [insert expletive here], it'll take more than one newsletter to rectify that.

- Ice
#4311283 - 11/11/16 10:21 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: GrayGhost]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Ice, you are not adding anything that you haven't said before. Seriously, you seem to take great delight in this. I think you just get a kick out of winding everyone up to a point where the thread gets locked. banghead

Last edited by Paul Rix; 11/11/16 10:21 PM.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4311287 - 11/11/16 10:31 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: Paul Rix]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
Ice, you are not adding anything that you haven't said before. Seriously, you seem to take great delight in this. I think you just get a kick out of winding everyone up to a point where the thread gets locked. banghead

I'm still in the same camp; why would I be saying anything different? The "landscape" of ED/DCS has not changed.

If people get wound up because I'm asking questions they can't answer, or I'm pointing out flaws in their logic, it's my fault because....?

- Ice
#4311289 - 11/11/16 10:34 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: GrayGhost]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Because you are antagonistic and condescending in how you discuss this maybe? And you go on, and on, and on, and on.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4311290 - 11/11/16 10:39 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: Paul Rix]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Because you are antagonistic and condescending in how you discuss this maybe? And you go on, and on, and on, and on.

I'm on the OPPOSITE camp, of course I'm antagonistic!! As for the condescend-tion? Condescend-ation? As for the condescending part, maybe if people actually answered my questions rather than "go rogue," it would be a better discussion.

- Ice
#4311313 - 11/11/16 11:39 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: GrayGhost]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
No, you can be on the opposite side of a discussion without being antagonistic or condescending. You choose to to conduct yourself in that way. You talk down to people in an effort to make yourself look smart and the other guy look stupid. You don't need to do that.

Carl Sagan
#4311327 - 11/12/16 12:39 AM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: Paul Rix]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

No, you can be on the opposite side of a discussion without being antagonistic or condescending. You choose to to conduct yourself in that way.

Really? You now know what I have or have not chosen to do?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I have chosen to play the OPPOSITION as far as ED/DCS goes. How can I do that without "showing dislike" or "being challenging" about the positives?

You talk down to people in an effort to make yourself look smart and the other guy look stupid. You don't need to do that.

Making the other guy look stupid does not fall on me; I just point out the stupid stuff other people say. That's when they usually decide to go rogue and attack ME, not what I SAID. Just like making ED look bad has nothing to do with me, I just point out the stupid stuff they do.

Now are we going to talk about the stupid stuff or are we going to talk about my motivations and methodology of pointing out the stupid stuff?

I will admit I talk down to certain people in this sub-forum, but that's usually due to prior interaction with those people and their own "track record." I wonder where you think I've done this "antagonistic and/or condescending" bit in THIS thread though?

- Ice
#4311338 - 11/12/16 02:31 AM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: SkateZilla]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla

2.5 Brings A bunch of stuff Free Caucas, and most noticeable will be P.B.R...

Pabst Blue Ribbon?
Professional Bull Riding? <-- Whats the damage model on that wink

#4311410 - 11/12/16 10:01 AM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: Paradaz]  
Eddie Offline
Registered Lunatic
Eddie  Offline
Registered Lunatic

Originally Posted By: Paradaz

sigh

They do. But they already use the new terrain engine, the Caucasus terrain is still using the old terrain engine which is why it can't run in 2.0 and needs to be remade for th new terrain engine. The key point is that the new graphics engine is different from the new terrain engine.

The other issue is that people have paid for Nevada, and so therefore we want it finished A year after it was made available we still can't fly at night beacause the airfield lighting doesn't work in MP, for example. So prioritising Nevada over the free updates is absolutely the right thing to do. Yes it'd be nice to have everything under one install, but having the things working in the first place is more important in my view.

Eddie

#4311415 - 11/12/16 11:05 AM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: GrayGhost]  
FartHog Offline
FartHog  Offline

UK
More fanboi beatdown on Ice I see:

#4311416 - 11/12/16 11:22 AM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: Eddie]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

@ FartHog:
Nice pic there, mate!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
They do. But they already use the new terrain engine, the Caucasus terrain is still using the old terrain engine which is why it can't run in 2.0 and needs to be remade for th new terrain engine. The key point is that the new graphics engine is different from the new terrain engine.

The other issue is that people have paid for Nevada, and so therefore we want it finished A year after it was made available we still can't fly at night beacause the airfield lighting doesn't work in MP, for example. So prioritising Nevada over the free updates is absolutely the right thing to do. Yes it'd be nice to have everything under one install, but having the things working in the first place is more important in my view.

We understand that.... but what are the chances that these new maps will still require MORE work once 2.5 comes out? They fix it now for 2.0/2.5 but as 2.5 matures, they'll most likely have to fix it again. So why do the same job twice? Why not blitz on 2.5, lock it down, and once things are set, **THEN** fix the new maps? We've been waiting on Nevada for a good 4+ years now, what's a few more months, eh?

Will you wax and buff and shine a side panel of your car knowing there's a scratch mark there that you'll have to fix first? No. You fix the scratch mark first, otherwise, you'll just be waxing and buffing the same area twice.

- Ice
#4311424 - 11/12/16 12:07 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: FartHog]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Lol FartHog

I envison it more like this

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4311426 - 11/12/16 12:20 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: GrayGhost]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
The Hornet being delayed is pretty much the only thing that bums me out right now.

Does anyone know if the plan is for the Hornet to be land locked at first? Or are carrier
Ops being worked on to be ready in an Alpha stage at the time of it's release?

Just curious

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4311429 - 11/12/16 12:42 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: Eddie]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Eddie

sigh

In my opinion, the Normandy Map and the Spit are nice to have payware that not everyone is interested in nor have paid for.

The 2.5 build affects everyone and every module and map so priority should be put into getting that on its feet and then the other modules and maps which are dependent on that should follow. Given that 2.5 was due 2 years ago (as the original 2.0) anyway it was obviously the intended plan but yet again ED don't follow their own 'roadmap' and change direction. (I suppose that ignores the 6 year delay to NTTR aswell)

What will probably happen given EDs track record is that the Spit and Normandy will be released, and then a show stopping bug is found within 2.5 when that is released and it creates all sorts of problems for content released before it.

Get the engine sorted first and integrate the periphery when everything is at least stable. If ED find further problems before the release of 2.5 I wouldn't put it past them to have yet another isolated dev branch.

As for paying for something and wanting it finished.....I could apply that rule to everything I've bought from ED.

#4311445 - 11/12/16 02:10 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: Paul Rix]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
No, you can be on the opposite side of a discussion without being antagonistic or condescending. You choose to to conduct yourself in that way. You talk down to people in an effort to make yourself look smart and the other guy look stupid. You don't need to do that.

Are you kidding? Ice isn't antagonistic, he's just suggesting that people shouldn't post here...

#4311456 - 11/12/16 02:52 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: GrayGhost]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
You're still more interested in commenting on the community rather than DCS? If you care to look at the 4 pages of this thread so far you will notice that only you and Paul Rix have not added anything on-topic to this actual thread but have posted only to talk about a community member. Everyone else has posted about the announcement, EDs priorities or what they they think should be considered more important within DCS.

In case you had forgotten, the actually title is 'Weekend news accouncement' which Grayghost posted 'highlights' from the official announcement/newsletter. Whilst I'm sure everyone appreciates Grayghost taking the time to post the news here (I certainly do as his message was posted before I received the newsletter) and the link to the ED message boards but that isn't going to guarantee that everyone will be happy with the news.....but at least here at SimHQ everyone has chance to express their opinion which I would wager couldn't or wouldn't be allowed to happen at a 'more reputable site' than this one. nope

Have you anything to offer regarding the recent announcement of delays and Ghost's comment that the news is at worst neutral?

#4311476 - 11/12/16 04:21 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: GrayGhost]  
jens198 Offline
jens198  Offline

Nuremberg, Germany
Will there be a 2.0 non-beta release before the 2.5 beta release? I'm getting confused with all these different versions ...

Jens

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
#4311477 - 11/12/16 04:24 PM Re: Weekend news announcement [Re: Paradaz]  
Eddie Offline
Registered Lunatic
Eddie  Offline
Registered Lunatic

In my opinion, the Normandy Map and the Spit are nice to have payware that not everyone is interested in nor have paid for.

Completely agree. Personally, I have less than zero interest in either, but I guess they have to finish them as again they've been paid for by people.

The 2.5 build affects everyone and every module and map so priority should be put into getting that on its feet and then the other modules and maps which are dependent on that should follow. Given that 2.5 was due 2 years ago (as the original 2.0) anyway it was obviously the intended plan but yet again ED don't follow their own 'roadmap' and change direction. (I suppose that ignores the 6 year delay to NTTR aswell)

What will probably happen given EDs track record is that the Spit and Normandy will be released, and then a show stopping bug is found within 2.5 when that is released and it creates all sorts of problems for content released before it.

Get the engine sorted first and integrate the periphery when everything is at least stable. If ED find further problems before the release of 2.5 I wouldn't put it past them to have yet another isolated dev branch.

I get what you're saying, but not sure I agree. For me , the merge/rework of the Caucasus under 2.5 is only relevant as a delaying factor in the development of things I actually want to see (Nevada completed, SoH completed, Hornet released, and the myriad of weak areas of the sim improved).

As for paying for something and wanting it finished.....I could apply that rule to everything I've bought from ED.

As someone who doesn't buy most aircraft or any single player content, I'm not a sufferer of that issue. The only ED modules I've ever bought are Ka-50, A-10C, CA, and Nevada (you can't call it the NTTR if most of the NTTR is low detail/absent). So for me Nevada is where that theory applies. And I'm also not a fan of the Caucasus region as a theatre of operations, so again the 2.5 merge isn't that big of a deal. I'd be happy if Caucasus was binned and we only had Nevada and SoH.

Eddie

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.