Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 42 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 41 42
#4266072 - 06/01/16 08:00 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
77_Scout, you should join us in the Centenary DID. We are now in June of '16 but we all started back in June of '15. My British pilot just completed his first year of war flying and I know what you mean about it being plodding sometimes, but it is satisfying at the same time.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4266449 - 06/02/16 10:51 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Banjoman]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
77_Scout, you should join us in the Centenary DID. We are now in June of '16 but we all started back in June of '15. My British pilot just completed his first year of war flying and I know what you mean about it being plodding sometimes, but it is satisfying at the same time.

Thanks Banjoman. I was in Olham's DID challenge last year and had fun. I'll have a look at the Centenary DID to see what it is all about.

Some time in the future, I'd really like to get into a 'full real' challenge, where everyone tries to survive using no aids of any kind ('clean' screen, cockpit view only).

#4266481 - 06/03/16 02:03 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
77_scout, that's how I'm flying the Centenary DID and for that matter Olham's DID.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4266645 - 06/03/16 03:07 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: 77_Scout]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: 77_Scout
Originally Posted By: Banjoman

Thanks Banjoman. I was in Olham's DID challenge last year and had fun. I'll have a look at the Centenary DID to see what it is all about.

Some time in the future, I'd really like to get into a 'full real' challenge, where everyone tries to survive using no aids of any kind ('clean' screen, cockpit view only).

Scout, up to my "Q" pilot in the DID now flying full real and its all your fault! Never had so much fun. And thank you again for dragging me to the dark side.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4291213 - 08/28/16 03:10 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
zifnow Offline
zifnow  Offline

My first try:

April 1916
RFC 24th
Mission assigned: Patrol deep in enemy territory. Target, enemy airfield east of Bapaume.

A Flight: cover
B Flight: Ltn.Hawker - sLtn. Bellerue (me) - Ltn.Andrews - Ltn.Thinders

About 8:30am, close to the objective at 9000feet, Ltn.Hawker initiated a moderated dive. Followed about 150feet behind, after a while I spotted a white Aviatik two-seater, about 6000 feet.

Short after, spotted a flight of 6 ea, north of us, 1000feet above; 3 of them dived on us. Ltn.Hawker engaged the two-seater.

I keep following Hawker, while Andrews and Thinders engaged the three diving ea. Hawker fired few rounds on the Aviatik and zoomed away. I entered and fired few rounds from about 20m, and zoomed too. The observer fire was accurate, but I received apparently no hit.

Lost sight of Hawker and the Aviatik, I turned west to join Andrews and Thinders which were engaged with 3 Fokker monoplanes. Andrews chased a Fokker and put several bursts into it. I closed up and fired a long strafe to the same ea from distance. Andrews fired again, and the Fokker start diving, then burst into flames.

Suddendly bullets were hitting me, I made an evasive maneuver and spotted the white Aviatik passing under my plane, which observer was firing at me. Another Fokker closed the distance, so I turned west to the front and disengaged by speed.

Flaks were being fired so I guessed my squadron mates were heading the same direction away. The Fokker ceased the pursue after a minute. Looking behind I have seen the white Aviatik forced to land some hundred meters away from the aerodrome, and a DH2, probably Hawker, above it.

I reached Andrews about 5000feet above enemy lines, and togheter we returned to the base.

Witnessed: Andrews shooting down a Fokker monoplane in flame - Hawker forced to land an Aviatik two-seater.

No losses.

Ps: during the after landing mission briefing, it turned out that A flight engaged the 3 Fokker monoplane which didn't dived on us and shoot down one. Nice mission, really.

Last edited by zifnow; 08/28/16 04:20 PM.
#4298575 - 09/24/16 04:51 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Some where over France.

#4308880 - 11/04/16 09:08 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4311433 - 11/12/16 12:57 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Great pic Lederhosen,

It seems to be quiet in this thread - probably most are posting them in the DiD Centenary Challenge forum instead.

It may be time to unstick this one.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4314552 - 11/23/16 02:38 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Gents .... I'm having my "coming out"

Found her while googling. Seems she was quite a person, too bad there is so little known about her.
And yes, although not being allowed to join the air force she did have a pilots licence (1 of 3 women).
She did make it to the front as an infantryman in cognito until dicovered. Later as a nurse in Toul, she heard a bomber pilot
lamenting about his voison missing the next bombing mission.
So she jumped onto her bike, she was turned down from the tour de France due to her gender (but did complete the tour herself 3 times), and rode off to the airfield where she "Volunteered" to fly this Voison in the next raid.
Marie must of been quite convincing to of pulled it off, but she did pilot the aircraft on 2 raids of Frescaty airfield, earning the Croix de Guerre later.

Last edited by lederhosen; 11/23/16 02:52 PM.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4314996 - 11/24/16 09:08 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Good day at the front for me

Niels Bohr, Sept 1916 flying an Alb DI

First flight, a patrol over the frontlines

My formation keeping is getting a lot better smile2

The new graphics in UE look simply awesome, cheers OBD

Pounced on a couple of Morraines
These shots are just after my second pass

Sadly my victory is not confirmed rolleyes

And one of my squadron gets the second one

About 2 minutes later my engine just stopped
I cannot see any damage, maybe it is just a malfunction?

Look for a field to put down in

Clipped a fence at about 10 feet off the deck, got down safely though

I haven't played WOFF for about a year
I am so impressed with how far it has come along in that time

My entire patrol from start to finish was so immersive, and beautiful to look at and experience

Man - what an awesome game
biggrin

EDIT
Next time I will not JPEG the images
They look a little bit blurry
The originals look pin sharp
Lesson learnt

Last edited by maxpeck; 11/24/16 09:10 PM.

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

#4315001 - 11/24/16 10:05 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
If you have random failures checked in workshop you can expect engines to conk out at any time...
Last time it happened to me I did a lovely dead stick landing, but didn't see a fence ahead... dead pilot, career over, lol!

#4315003 - 11/24/16 10:09 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Trooper

At one time a fence was a guaranteed kill for your pilot. That is no longer the case and survival rates are much better. Best to always check for fences if time allows, before touching down.

Cheers

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4315009 - 11/24/16 10:37 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Well, I try to Robert... sometimes they seem to just appear out of nowhere, lol!

#4315010 - 11/24/16 10:37 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Trooper

At one time a fence was a guaranteed kill for your pilot. That is no longer the case and survival rates are much better. Best to always check for fences if time allows, before touching down.

Cheers

That's what I figured

I remember from a year ago, a fence was certain death

But it has changed

Did not put it into my OP but I was about 10-20 feet off the ground, saw a fence coming up on my right, quickly pulled up to skip it, then pushed forward so I did not stall it

Skimmed the fence and managed to get down safely winkngrin

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

#4315012 - 11/24/16 10:39 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Trooper117]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Originally Posted By: Trooper117
If you have random failures checked in workshop you can expect engines to conk out at any time...
Last time it happened to me I did a lovely dead stick landing, but didn't see a fence ahead... dead pilot, career over, lol!

Yep - this is just the first time it has happened to me biggrin

#4316864 - 12/01/16 09:57 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Kremmen Offline
Kremmen  Offline

Helsinki Finland
Managed to land my Aviatik into midsection of a tree once. 3 days in hospital. Nothing serious. smile

#4317140 - 12/03/16 02:39 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Some where over France:

#4318430 - 12/08/16 06:52 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Great screenshots, carrick! That first one, especially! thumbsup

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4324836 - 12/31/16 11:16 AM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
My first time properly flying in formation (just upgraded from a gamepad to a proper HOTAS setup) and things are going good. Keeping in my spot and not slamming into my compatriots is taking about 95% of my attention, but I feel fairly safe being in the center of the formation.

And then the sound of bullets and death. I look behind me and I see the yellow spinner of a German HA about two inches off what is left of my tailplane. I was too shocked to take screenshots.

What to name the next guy...

#4336352 - 02/11/17 04:43 PM Re: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT [Re: Olham]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
2nd Lt Archie Berry, flying a Fe-2b with 20 Sqn, RFC.

Dearest H,

I've fiddled the RFC mail system with the aid of a corporal in the records office, he's quite a rake. Cost me an arm and a leg but I should be able to write to you without the censors bothering us. Now you're a good girl and I trust you not to show these letters to anyone nor talk about anything I say in them. Mainly because I want someone to know the truth about life here and the war and not that guff they print in the papers. Please keep them under lock and key!

I arrived at Clairmais by tender (It might be in the home atlas if you look it up) in mid March, 1916. They didn't have a machine for me at St Omer and I got tired of waiting around. Luck had it that there was a Sgt there after spark plugs or some such nonsense who was headed to Clairmais so I rode along with him. The weather was terrible when I got here, for a few days there was nothing to do but play cards, drink in the mess and break gramophone records. We have a piano but it is missing a few bits and pieces.

The fronts is quiet in our sector, we mainly conduct line patrols and deep offensive patrols. They're fairly self explanatory, we fly up and down the lines or over Hunland. Deep offensive patrols give me the willies, we're often sent over at 5,000ft which is stupid. It's too low to be 10 miles deep in Hunland. Engines aren't magic carpets, they break quite often and I don't like the thought of having to walk home through all that mud. When I'm ever flight commander we shan't be flying at 5,000ft 10 miles into Hunland, that's for damn sure.

Was lucky enough to bag an Aviatik on my first trip out, we snuck up behind two of them at 7,000ft between Oppy and the Lys. My gunner, Lt Alan Osborn, gave him a drum of Lewis and his wings fell off. Flamer. Lt Reid (HA) confirmed the victory and bought me a drink. The bus had a few holes in the left wing so I had another drink for her as well, a large one.

After that they sent me on a navigational exercise, not sure why, maybe they forgot that I'd already shot down an Aviatik and made it home alive. Bit of a lucky break though, my engine quit just miles from home and I had to deadstick at St Omer, the bus spend 1 day in the shop. Just as well that didn't happen on a DOP. I was fuming that I didn't have enough height to make it all the way home but nobody seemed to care.

Since then I've tangled with various Fokker E.III's on patrol a couple of times. They're the Hun's favourite gag these days, they think it's a hell of a laugh pottering around over the lines and looking for Quirks to blow to buggery. I drove one down the other day around Oppy somewhere, thought we'd nailed him but he was just foxing and spun away from the fight after taking a solid burst from Osborne's Lewis gun. I didn't go down after him, the ground down there has all kind of nasty things in it, most of them German and all of them armed with something. The Fee is a good old bus, she doesn't deserve the coarse handling and leering of barbarous and rapine German infantrymen so I try to keep her high enough to be out of their sight. Those poor E.III's can't do much against a well flown Fee, their engines aren't as powerful as ours her but I will still be taking pains to make sure I'm always above them, that seems to be the key. If I'm not above them I need to be close enough to our lines if things go pear shaped. They are still a danger though, one got poor old Evelyn Paget on the same trip I just mentioned. THis keen young fool in his E.III came screaming in from above and flew right into Paget, guns blazing all the way. I saw the whole bloody mess and I get repeats of it in my sleep at night. Lucky for Paget he's a historical figure so he was able to use this black magic called "programming" to resurrect himself like Lazarus from the wreckage, much to the surprise of the Tommies who came over to poke around at what was left of his Fee. His observer wasn't so lucky though, when I mentioned him to the adjutant he started off muttering about sandbags for some reason. Chap's gone off his rocker.

Must go now, we're on 2 or 3 trips a day since the weather started to improve. Love you my darling, I'll write you when it looks like we'll get some leave. Try to keep the garden in order for me will you, the help have no clue about gardening and I know I can trust you to see to it. The sunshine will do you good.

Fondly, your very own 'King of the Skies' (Since that's how I often feel upon my mighty Bearmore powered throne, provided to me by the aptly named "Royal Aircraft Factory" no less)

2nd Lt Archie Berry.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
Page 21 of 42 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 41 42

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse