Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4308715 - 11/03/16 04:21 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
This thread is also a great example of why I don't really play sims anymore either. Heavy drama and an acute inability to enjoy life is a notable trait of many "simmers"

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4308719 - 11/03/16 04:38 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Peally]  
Schwalbe Offline
Schwalbe  Offline

^Simming is fine. One has to have a hobby or passion. Just gotta not linger too long on those forums. it is mostly negativity filled.

#4308720 - 11/03/16 04:39 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
It should be common sense that flight model mods should not be allowed for online play unless all of the participants are using the same mods or if they all agree on their use. Non-disclosure means cheating.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4308722 - 11/03/16 04:52 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

I don't play online anymore and mostly use mods to enhance the game or, in games such as Skyrim, add companions. As far as finding a game that comes out clean without any problems on release...good luck.

Last edited by Warbirds; 11/03/16 04:52 PM.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#4308723 - 11/03/16 04:55 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
That's one reason I love GOG.

By the time the game shows up there it may be a year after release, you can be sure the patches are all included, and the mod scene has sorted itself to the point of single-click installations.

But I totally get what you mean, recently looked at X-Plane and decided to get any kind of nice Austria-specific setup (scenery, airports, my prefered kind of aircraft) would cost me way too many days effort.

#4308726 - 11/03/16 05:21 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Schwalbe Offline
Schwalbe  Offline

Last(current) flight sim with developer modding support is strike fighters.
Last PC game with dev mod support is Xcom2 and Civ5 by Firaxis Games.
Both are SP only.

IL2BoS is certainly locked. IL2 '46 was also locked until.. years later (snip).

Got one exception with Homeworld Remastered edition that has HvH play but also some modding support but I think it is rare, for one the HW series had extended community modding in between. Generally I reckon games will become more and more divided between MP and SP hence modding support will also be quite unique in each. As consumer it pays to pick carefully.. had my share of wrong choices and wasted times.

For civil sims what's fun without modding:D A friend was job hunting the other day and there was a startup looking for FSX SDK dev ability.. making simulators for guys looking to get PPLs.

PS There's then the community source code modding. Way too left for me but good luck to the youngsters doing the dance tho.

Last edited by Schwalbe; 11/03/16 05:41 PM.
#4308728 - 11/03/16 05:45 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Schwalbe]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Originally Posted By: Schwalbe
The gaming communities are divided is what I've been finding. You got the

1) modding liberal types
2) no-mods conservative types

An attempt to roughly categorize the ones on Shq (top to bottom that's still alive):
BoB: Left
CAP2: right
Civil sims: left
DCS: right
EECH/AH: left
EAW: left
Falcon4: left
Gaijin: right
CloD: left
IL2: left
BoS: right
JF18: left
WOFF: right
Rof: right
SAM sim: left
Thirdwire: left

land combat sims: far right! maybe except Arma. ?not sure?

meself is somewhat moderate left. I like the game stable but also like to be able to mod it - hate the constant CTDs and bugs by third party freeware modding, while also hate the 20 page toxic debates asking for some game setting change.

It'll be great if there's a "community ideology meter" to display before buying into a game so there's a way to know what you're getting into.

biggrin biggrin

You can't have right or left wing helicopter simmers, their situation is much more blurred.

#4308729 - 11/03/16 05:45 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
jskibo Offline
jskibo  Offline

Cincinnati
I miss Strike Eagle III and Tornado with Desert Storm Expansion smile

#4308731 - 11/03/16 05:55 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Warbirds]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Warbirds
As far as finding a game that comes out clean without any problems on release...good luck.

Some minor bugs will always be present on release; I concede that but then you have some games like Cliffs of Dover which upon release had no cooperative MP support (which IL-2 had) and that I find absurd and no justification for.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 11/03/16 05:56 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4308732 - 11/03/16 06:20 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
What about Windows then ?

Release a "New" operating system and then release more updates and service packs that the size of the original installation....

Sign of the times bud. Used to be stuff was tested to destruction before being released (hardware and software), but not it's get it out the door as soon as possible and let the punters debug it for you.

We should all be charging Microsoft consultation rates for fixing their products.

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#4308773 - 11/03/16 08:44 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
A good game will have mods that will introduce new ways to play the game or extend it's longevity. A bad game will NEED mods to fix stuff that is inherently broken.

- Ice
#4308779 - 11/03/16 08:55 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Sounds like you're just too old. I used to play all kinds of combat sims/games myself and downloaded all kinds of mods but as i got older (I'm 60 now, but you may be 70 idk) .... i just no longer wanted to mess with stuff like that anymore so i started playing World of Warcraft cause there was usually a WoW "Game Master" to help me as i became more senile

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4308903 - 11/04/16 11:09 AM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
any flight sim without mods is not much fun - as for being too old for flight sims, well, I am close to 56 and I enjoy them as much as I did before.

And of course skin making is a lot of fun.

One of the things I learned over the years, is not to concentrate too much on a single model or particular sim, and try to do different things, right now I am exploring Utah, Arizona and Colorado. And of course there is DCS which I hope to get back into when the Normandy map/Spitfire is released.

#4308905 - 11/04/16 11:22 AM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Haggart
Sounds like you're just too old. I used to play all kinds of combat sims/games myself and downloaded all kinds of mods but as i got older (I'm 60 now, but you may be 70 idk) .... i just no longer wanted to mess with stuff like that anymore so i started playing World of Warcraft cause there was usually a WoW "Game Master" to help me as i became more senile

Good post.

The fundamental issue is that many flight simmers have much less time to game now compared to the time they had in the past so who wants to waste precious gaming time on playing the mod installation/compatibility/updating dance?

#4308920 - 11/04/16 12:43 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Haggart]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

I am 72 and still mod and mess with game files. I also do graphic and texture work for FSX developers so I don't think age has much to do with it. Maybe burnout is in effect or some other reason but age is,,,er, ageless.

Last edited by Warbirds; 11/04/16 12:46 PM.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#4308923 - 11/04/16 12:45 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Haggart]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island

One thing comes to mind though... Isn't Orbx (mentioned in the original post) a publisher of mostly paid products? If the installation is having trouble, their support staff should be able to assist in a meaningful way here, rather than the customer struggling and reaching such dissatisfaction.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4308926 - 11/04/16 01:00 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Good post.

The fundamental issue is that many flight simmers have much less time to game now compared to the time they had in the past so who wants to waste precious gaming time on playing the mod installation/compatibility/updating dance?

Yup, time and priorities.

I'm currently developing plans for a 240 sq. ft. (24' x 10') sunroom addition to the back of my home, to be part of my parent's living area. Then after designing it, my almost 80 year-old father and I will have to build it (everything but the concrete foundation). Tomorrow we start laying down floors in the main addition (~860 sq. ft.).

When I first came to SimHQ, almost 13 year ago, I lived in a 2-bedroom apartment and didn't even have to mow grass! I pretty much secluded myself in my "man cave" bedroom and worked/played for hours on end (including weekends) without all the distractions of a owning a house, caring for parents (wife's then mine) and a wife who now wants to spend time with me (she once preferred seclusion as well [understandable at the time] while working 50+ hours/week + constantly traveling).

Just living a healthy lifestyle is time consuming because you have to put in the work and there's little convenience (food). Much of that is offset by my not having to work any longer (as in employment) and completely letting go of television (other than DVDs on the weekend).

During this time (13 years) some posters have gotten married and had children (I can't imagine how much time is involved with that) and just moved on with their lives. It's not that I've lost a passion for simming (although mine is single-player retro and trying to develop my own game), it's just that I have other passions which are more important to me right now (mid-life anxieties, wanting the most out of life before I get old). There has to be balance and man, I have such a hard time with that!

#4308932 - 11/04/16 01:21 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Li'lJugs Offline
Hotshot
Li'lJugs  Offline
Hotshot

St. Cloud MN USA
OP here, yes, I did mention Orbx/FTX. My whine/rant was all about their recent switch from the FSS store to their own interface, FTX Central. Finally got it sorted, just started pushing buttons at random. LOL Actually, FTX has pretty good support through their help forums.

So, the journey continues....

Hi, I'm Larry and this my brother Dayrle, and this is my other brother Dayrle.
#4308933 - 11/04/16 01:22 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Glad to hear you got support and satisfaction, their products have tempted me a time or two.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4308934 - 11/04/16 01:23 PM Re: Pretty much had it with sims. [Re: Li'lJugs]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Would it be a fair assessment to say that the older someone gets the more resistant to change they tend to be?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.