Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4307948 - 11/01/16 05:55 AM Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down [Re: Magnum]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Magnum
[quote]gamers and writers in here... so that SimHQ is still alive and not dying out like I believe it is and those volunteers might help out... worked for years back under Doug's days, and working great at SimHQ Motorsports and Mudspike. I was hoping you had a plan when you bought SimHQ, especially after you let longtime volunteers leave and stop writing for SimHQ.

Just for my clarification, is SimHQ Motorsports under different ownership from SimHQ ?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4308019 - 11/01/16 01:00 PM Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down [Re: RacerGT]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yes. Doug has always run SHQM.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4308056 - 11/01/16 03:59 PM Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down [Re: RacerGT]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
No wonder there's a different vibe there.

Doug's always been a hands-on approachable guy with a real presence in both forums and online events. I remember well my days participating on those SimHQ races until I have to give it up due to timezone differences but it became a catalyst for me getting into simracing and weekly local lan races for many years.

That was the SimHQ I enjoyed and this used to be THE place and venue for information on games and comraderie of all sorts. It's lamentable to see how many of those senior contributors we have lost, people that we know on a first name basis and who engaged regularly at the forums.

Well, you can always depend on a guy like Magnum to speak his mind with full frankness which is something of an endearing quality since we know him.

And if I may be frank here, if this place shutter itself tomorrow, I won't miss much because the SimHQ I knew and enjoyed had been dead for quite a while now.

#4308094 - 11/01/16 05:28 PM Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Harry-the-Ruskie

And if I may be frank here, if this place shutter itself tomorrow, I won't miss much because the SimHQ I knew and enjoyed had been dead for quite a while now.

I have to ask though, why are you still visiting the site if that's really how you feel?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4308108 - 11/01/16 06:11 PM Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down [Re: RacerGT]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
Simple. I pop in now and then for tidbits but again it's nothing I would miss if you close down tomorrow. Just to be honest, I get more info and assistance from other dedicated gaming sites and youtube.

Maybe its just force of habit to check in now and then as I have been a member since 2002 but the people whose posts who I really enjoy reading are long gone. No disrespect to you Panzer. I guess if you really want to push me for why I still poke my head in is some of the SimHQ folks I use to gamed with are still here though I can and do reach them easily enough through other means of contact, eg. Steam, e-mail, T-speak (not the SimHQ one) etc etc.

Part of me wanted to see now and then if the old vibe has returned. I don't believe it has.

I use to post frequently until a few years ago and then my posting rate and inclination to do so declined steeply. That was likely the time I lost interest in the site.

And tell me honestly, that you do not think that something is amiss because the questions and description that keeps cropping up on this thread is stuff like 'decay' 'dying' 'what is long term plan' etc etc.

And for the record, I did ask RacerGT to wipe my account and login access. That was a few months back. He read the pm and ignored it. The request is still on the cards so if he care to oblige I'll be happy to get out of your hair.

#4308110 - 11/01/16 06:16 PM Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down [Re: RacerGT]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Fair enough Harry and I understood your post just fine. I was just curious to know your motivations. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4308121 - 11/01/16 06:50 PM Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
And tell me honestly, that you do not think that something is amiss because the questions and description that keeps cropping up on this thread is stuff like 'decay' 'dying' 'what is long term plan' etc etc.

That's the entire internet. It's extremely negative and people feed off of it.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4308127 - 11/01/16 07:11 PM Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

And for the record, I did ask RacerGT to wipe my account and login access. That was a few months back. He read the pm and ignored it. The request is still on the cards so if he care to oblige I'll be happy to get out of your hair.

You get out what you put in. Several of us play games together and there is still a lot of good info here to be read. There is also a lot of negativity but that was there before the forum switched hands. It's the just old crew lamenting on "the good old days" of how il21946 was the best sim ever etc. Nothing is good anymore etc.

But there is a lot of good games out there to play and a lot of good people here to play them with.

As for deleting your account... if you really want out just change your email to somewhere else and then change your password to some random characters and log out. Deleting an account on a forum can cause hell with the database. It should never be done except in very very very limited and specific circumstances. If you cant be grown up enough to limit yourself I dont see why anyone needs to hold your hand about it as waste their time and the stability of the forum database over it.

Just my opinion though.

#4308134 - 11/01/16 07:43 PM Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down [Re: Master]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
LOL yup OK. I'll do that but it's asking me to provide another valid e-mail to replace the old one.

[edit] oh wait. I just got what you mean now to type an e-mail to somewhere else. I forgot I can just get a 'throwaway' account from gmail. That can still be a valid account but otherwise unused..

Last edited by Harry-the-Ruskie; 11/01/16 07:46 PM.
#4308153 - 11/01/16 08:45 PM Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down [Re: RacerGT]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Some of the less-visited forums have posts going back years on the first page. Click in them and you'll see the names of people that make you go "Hey! Where have they been?"
Click on their profile, click show posts...and see they've not posted in 2, 4, 7 years. frown
One was Jim down in the hardware forum, he posted very regularly, then went almost a year with one final post (that said nothing about his absence or return), and then nothing since, almost 2 years now. Merely indicative of the whole as opposed to something specific.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4308160 - 11/01/16 09:06 PM Re: TeamSpeak Server Shutting Down [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

LOL yup OK. I'll do that but it's asking me to provide another valid e-mail to replace the old one.

[edit] oh wait. I just got what you mean now to type an e-mail to somewhere else. I forgot I can just get a 'throwaway' account from gmail. That can still be a valid account but otherwise unused..

Yea, just make a throwaway gmail account then randomize it's password after you do the same here. No way to get the account back then.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.