Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4307943 - 11/01/16 04:26 AM a bit of advice and info please  
manitouguy Offline
manitouguy  Offline

Vancouver BC Canada
hi all, after a brief 'absence' we found Pickleworth and were able to load him back into his plane ...

Now Nov 1 1915, early career, he has 7 flights for approx. 13 hrs total flying time (incl his training under Triggers).

He is stationed with 13 RFC at Vert Galand Flanders - piloting a B.E.2c

He just had his first bombing run which led to a few questions I am hoping you chaps can provide some guidance on.

1) can I drop each of my 4 bombs individually, or must they all go at once ... 'coopers' I believe

2) is it sometimes 'vague' as to the actual target for bombing ... mission stated 'over enemy lines' but after that I really didn't know where to bomb??

3) as flight lead do I need direct my wingman to drop his bombs ... he didn't drop any of his 4??

and my observer was either deep asleep or 'filling his pants' upon Pickleworth's first encounter with an eindecker ... is there a key I must hit to try and have my observer / gunner fire some attack shots?? or is it all up to him - I was squadron lead and my wingmate and the eindecker traded a few shots, I tried to position to help but my gunner acted as though we were all alone, even when I few bullets came our way??

at any rate glad Pickleworth got back in the air, had his first bombing mission and encountered his first enemy ... such good good stuff this smile

any advice or info much appreciated as usual

cheers, Ron

#4307944 - 11/01/16 04:28 AM Re: a bit of advice and info please [Re: manitouguy]  
manitouguy Offline
manitouguy  Offline

Vancouver BC Canada
oh oh, thought I was in the general section when I posted the above ... apologies for that - maybe a mod can move it out of technical (or can I do so somehow?)

#4307969 - 11/01/16 10:13 AM Re: a bit of advice and info please [Re: manitouguy]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

1) depends on the aircraft. If you press the button to release and they all go, then they all go.

2) It should be perfectly clear if you read through the mission. There would be more text, maybe it was a patrol?

3) Yes if you are leading you need tell them. Using TAC select a ground target then press A for attack, AI will attack but choose OTHER targets around the one you choose as yours. So choosing a tent say at an airfield that you want to attack then press A, the AI will pick other tents or hangers or guns whatever. See the FAQ for assigning targets using the TAC etc.

Other point, manoeuvre your craft to allow him to get a better shot. Get tail, wires, wings out of the way. Also do it gently, fast movements make him sick and he wont fire during rolling too much, high G whatever.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4308008 - 11/01/16 12:30 PM Re: a bit of advice and info please [Re: Polovski]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Originally Posted By: Polovski

Also do it gently, fast movements make him sick and he wont fire during rolling too much, high G whatever.

I just recently was driving a rather long lasting rollercoaster, where one is also riding for a good while backwards (it turns at some point by chance, and on my second ride I was almost the complete ride riding backwards). It wasn't even too fancy, so no loops or rolls over the head etc., but many long dives and long turns left and right and some horseshoe bends, sort of immelmann etc. During the ride I thought, what would I do if I would be an observer, trying to shoot, while the pilot is doing evasive action. The thing what absolutely throws your aim off, or even prevents aiming in the first place is that you have no clou what's going to happen next. Also the G-forces feel unnatural because you are "flying" backwards, so very hard to focus and concentrate on anything. And as soon as you do focus, another unexpected movement throws everything off again. And I was sitting firmly in the seat, not standing like real observers did, relatively freely, besides some security belts. It's a wonder they hit ever anything in the first place. Now sure they could aim and shoot as long as the pilot was flying straight, besides the buffeting. So either flying (or even shallow diving etc.) straight with the observer shooting, or having evasive action with the observer not able to shoot at all, or if shooting, then hitting nothing at all, just making potshots into the general direction. So I think sometimes people expect too much from own observers firing, or wondering why they don't shoot sometimes. I think it's absolutely realistic, and my recent rides confirm that IMO.

#4308051 - 11/01/16 03:25 PM Re: a bit of advice and info please [Re: manitouguy]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Captain Triggers, eh? I think it's great that you are starting out your WOFF experience with a replay of the Wings tv show,

Re 2) if It was a bombing run of the lines then you would need to first look for ground explosions in the vicinity and head for those. Next you would ensure you were over the German side of the lines and finally, try to make out the troops themselves before releasing your bombs. They are discernible from the air provided you are not too high (3k-5k ft). They appear as groups of straight lines arrayed at slightly odd angles to each other.

Good luck to Pickleworth!

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans