Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4305280 - 10/21/16 10:19 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Looks like a tooth from a backhoe shovel.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4305369 - 10/22/16 04:51 AM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted By: Mr_Blastman

That would never be made of aluminum though. Well, I am 99.9% sure of that anyway...

#4305407 - 10/22/16 10:05 AM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
So, where does the Mirror fall in the spectrum of
Daily Mail to National Enquirer to TruFaxHonest?

#4305443 - 10/22/16 02:00 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: Zamzow]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Zamzow

That would never be made of aluminum though. Well, I am 99.9% sure of that anyway...

Probably this was the result of the event where people realise that building backhoe shovels and its teeth from aluminum (or aluminium) wasn't a good idea afterall biggrin

#4305461 - 10/22/16 03:21 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: Zamzow]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

Nah, they are. Apparently they're used to reduce the risk of sparks in volatile sites to reduce the risk of fire or explosion.

I'd rather they be from Merp. I can imagine it clearly, Zerp, drowning in quicksand, desperately calls out to his saucer-buddies in some babbly tongue. Merp, out of desperation, produces an extendo-claw and nabs his friend! But in his haste, the claw teeth clang together and one rattles away. Fortunately for them, Zerp made it out alive.

#4305586 - 10/23/16 12:19 AM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Nah, they are. Apparently they're used to reduce the risk of sparks in volatile sites to reduce the risk of fire or explosion.

Strange - I read about how in some coal mines (and other environments too) how only plastic bodied flashlights are allowed because merely dropping an aluminum bodied flashlight could produce a spark and explosion.

And I still can't imagine an aluminum bucket for excavating - a LOADER bucket maybe, but not a backhoe bucket.

Maybe you could use aluminum teeth, but the bucket itself still scrapes like crazy...

But I don't claim to have "seen it all" lol!

#4305592 - 10/23/16 01:26 AM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: Zamzow]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I blame it all on that guy from Leeds...

Al U. Minium

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4305942 - 10/24/16 02:22 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Facts aren't believed. People think with every part of their bodies except their brains now.

Don't believe an expert in the field because they have an "agenda" to tell you something other than your foregone conclusion based on zero evidence. So just go with that instead.

Because being stupid is a source of pride now.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4306166 - 10/25/16 10:30 AM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London
Hang on a god damn minute...why are aliens using aluminium to start with? Surely if their technology is all that then this should be some kind of never before seen metal with no name?

Something just isn't right here!

Mailman

#4306241 - 10/25/16 03:54 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: Jedi Master]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Facts aren't believed. People think with every part of their bodies except their brains now.

Don't believe an expert in the field because they have an "agenda" to tell you something other than your foregone conclusion based on zero evidence. So just go with that instead.

Because being stupid is a source of pride now.

The Jedi Master

Chancellor Merkel recently said that we are entering into the post-factual/ post-truth era. And I actually agree with her on that.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4306243 - 10/25/16 04:07 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
If facts and truth were really important to people then things like political systems and organized religion as we currently understand them would cease to function.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/25/16 04:07 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4306247 - 10/25/16 04:34 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
The aliens also coincidently use Iron Cross iconography wink

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4306700 - 10/27/16 02:20 AM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

I'm a bit pissed off with Mihai Wittenberger (the historian claiming it's part of the landing gear of the Messerschmitt ME 262). He should have provided more evidence and detail to settle the issue. If he did, we wouldn't be seeing this on the news.

What happened instead was he became a fodder, "Expert tried to prove otherwise". I'm still trying to find a good report detailing his findings. Either he spoke too soon and failed to follow up on his claims (which is what I'm pissed about) or the articles are blatantly ignoring his factual report (another issue).

About truths and facts... IMO they're not as absolute as you may think. Scientific facts? They can change as we make new discoveries. Social and Historical facts? Well, they've been twisted.

For this specific issue I'm having trouble finding Mihai's original report on the matter. Truths and fact IMO are what the current generation defines it to be. Sometimes you just have to make do with what's available.

#4306725 - 10/27/16 08:49 AM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
It's an excavator tooth. It's on mirror, what do you all expect? Facts?

#4306738 - 10/27/16 10:54 AM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
The tooth! The tooth! Remember the tooth!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4306771 - 10/27/16 01:01 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: ]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: oselisan

About truths and facts... IMO they're not as absolute as you may think. Scientific facts? They can change as we make new discoveries. Social and Historical facts? Well, they've been twisted.

For this specific issue I'm having trouble finding Mihai's original report on the matter. Truths and fact IMO are what the current generation defines it to be. Sometimes you just have to make do with what's available.

There are absolute truths out there! For example the love that I have for my daughter or resuming the love that parents have for their child. Can this absolute truth be proved with Scientific facts? No, it can't! However it's true nonetheless.

But you're right when you say that "Social changes" sometimes (many times??) try to change some of these truths but all you'll get and end up with this is a Fuc*ed Up society and you'll only stray away further and further from the real truth (whatever that might be).

Obviously there are other kinds of "truths" that will inevitably be changed due to some advancement or breakthrough in terms of knowledge (for example Earth turns around the Sun and not otherwise or that it isn't Zeus or God that cast lightening bolts) but the problem is that nowadays it seems that the society doesn't actually want to seek the truth but instead it wants to satisfy its "inner ego" and to be noticed somehow and the main strategy to accomplish this nowadays seems to be by questioning literally everything that's previously considered truth whether if it's logical or not (a "small" example are the recent attempts to question the reality that Man landed on the Moon).
Or resuming this kind of behaviour is the "foundation" for a complete loss of Common Sense among societies. And I believe that this is the biggest illness among today's society within western world countries (but I think this could be a subject for another thread).

#4306777 - 10/27/16 01:20 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
"Postfactual" refers not to "absoluteness of facts" but rather to the trend to substitute even universally agreed upon facts with "emotion" or "beliefs", or cherry-pick some facts but ignoring their proper context, to fit a certain personal or public agenda...even to the - rather petty - point of being unwilling/unable to merely concede to have lost a debate.

The good thing is, in the end facts don't care whether someone "believes" in them. smile

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4306812 - 10/27/16 02:28 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
My favorite trope with UFO stuff is the "unknown material" one.

Um, the periodic table of elements is universal, as in "same throughout the Universe."

Unless aliens found a way to make atoms with half a proton, there are no unknown elements that can last for more than a fraction of a millisecond.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4306859 - 10/27/16 04:59 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: Dart]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
I think they mostly mean unknown alloys or ceramics. Shape memory alloys, high temperature superconductors, etc etc.

Last edited by Remon; 10/27/16 05:01 PM.
#4306870 - 10/27/16 05:33 PM Re: Part of a UFO? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Quote:
ACCORDING TO RESEARCH THE EXACT COMPOSITION OF THE ARTIFACT IS AS FOLLOWS: ALUMINUM (89%) COPPER (6,2%), SILICON (2,84%), ZINC (1,81%), LEAD (0,41%), TIN (0,33%), ZIRCONIUM(0,2%), CADMIUM (0,11%), NICKEL (0,0024%), COBALT (0,0023%), BISMUTH (0,0003%), SILVER (0,0002%), AND GALLIUM (IN TRACE AMOUNTS).

http://www.ancient-code.com/15-things-you-should-know-about-the-aiud-aluminium-wedge/

Which is similar to the composition of duralumin.

Quote:
Duralumin (also called duraluminum, duraluminium, duralum, duralium or dural) is the trade name of one of the earliest types of age-hardenable aluminium alloys. Its use as a trade name is obsolete, and today the term is mainly used to describe aluminiumcopper alloys, designated as the 2000 series by the International Alloy Designation System (IADS).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duralumin

It seems they based age on 2 factors. One, the thickness of the oxidation layer which, in a normal metal part, would mean it is around 400 years old at that thickness. However, from the duraluminium article:

Quote:
Corrosion protection
Although the addition of copper improves strength, it also makes these alloys susceptible to corrosion. For sheet products, corrosion resistance can be greatly enhanced by metallurgical bonding of a high-purity aluminium surface layer. These sheets are referred to as alclad, and are commonly used by the aircraft industry.

And I think there is where the relationship with German aircraft came from.

Two, they also state that the 200,000 age guess was based on the mastodon bones next to the part, which will mean that:

1- They do not know that by erosion, fossils can be closer near the surface, and get eventually covered again by natural occurrences like mudslides and floods.

2- If I stand long enough next to my grandpa, I become the same age as him.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.