Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4304284 - 10/19/16 04:17 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

To each their own. I played all over the RDR and GTA5 maps. I honestly think they were too small. Especially when MP is involved.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4304301 - 10/19/16 05:49 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
RDR does it right somehow though when it comes to the maps. Just Cause 2 is huge but shallow and plastic and lonely. The environment in RDR is a character itself and feels, looks and sounds right. Someone like me who loves the ASW and cowboy culture, Westerns and the outdoors, landscapes like these to freely travel in games is a dream come true. In a good game I intend to get lost within it and to be immersed in it. RDR has always been a great escape for me. I've spent hours just riding horse back and finding places I hadn't seen before. So bigger maps is a huge deal for me in a game that I feel does it right and designs the game play from the intentional to the passive meaningful.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4304318 - 10/19/16 09:28 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: FlashBurn]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: FlashBurn
While I have been interested in this series I am not buying a console to play 1 freaking game.

LOL I bought the XBox just to play RDR with an afterthought that I may add other XBox games later, but until this day RDR remained the one and only game on my one and only console. Still play RDR on a regular basis. Love the game.

That said, if they won't release RDR 2 on PC, I won't be buying a console just for Number 2.

#4304321 - 10/19/16 09:57 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

I wouldn't buy a console for just one game either, but this would be the game that would get me to buy one and then go back to play the previous games that were interesting that didn't go to pc.
Plus, prices are getting decent on the consoles again, about what I'd pay for my next graphics card. Or less.

I can not think of any console-exclusive game that I would want to play enough to justify buying a console. If there were any, I would have bought a console by now. wink As it is, it would just sit in my living room gathering dust.

I used to have a 360 and gave it away for exactly that reason.

I'd rather invest the 400 bucks that a PS4 neo will cost in upcoming versions of the Rift or Vive.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4304326 - 10/19/16 10:36 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I've never played Red Dead Redemption, or GTA 5 for that matter, but to me the only open world game that I've played that truly felt big enough was Boiling Point, which had 625 sq km/240 sq miles, way back in 2005.

In comparison

GTA 5 is 81 sq km

RDR is 41 sq km

Skyrim is 39 sq km

Yeah Boiling Point certainly isn't as detailed as the above, how could it be given its age? However it should now be technically possible to have both size and detail, especially when you're talking about a map that involves lots of relatively barren terrain, like you'd expect to find in an Old West themed game.

#4304356 - 10/19/16 12:52 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Considering I find playing any sort of FPS/TPS with a controller an abomination, I have zero interest in getting another console after my 360 sat collecting dust.

Played several Lego games, Forza games (with an MS wheel I got cheap, never once tried to race with that gamepad!), and a few other types on my 360, but the only FPS/TPS I played were demos that I got sick of after an hour because that #%&()&#% gamepad sucks.

Kb and mouse or forget it.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4304358 - 10/19/16 12:56 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
+1,000 Jedi Master

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4304382 - 10/19/16 02:08 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Crane Hunter
I've never played Red Dead Redemption, or GTA 5 for that matter, but to me the only open world game that I've played that truly felt big enough was Boiling Point, which had 625 sq km/240 sq miles, way back in 2005.

In comparison

GTA 5 is 81 sq km

RDR is 41 sq km

Skyrim is 39 sq km

Yeah Boiling Point certainly isn't as detailed as the above, how could it be given its age? However it should now be technically possible to have both size and detail, especially when you're talking about a map that involves lots of relatively barren terrain, like you'd expect to find in an Old West themed game.

Oh man, I remember that game. It had a ton of bugs at release. Still was pretty enjoyable though. I never finished it though. It was just to big and didnt run good enough for me to sink enough time into it. I must have played the beginning of it a hundred times though (because of save game corruption bug). I can still close my eyes and mentally play through the beginning lol.

#4304385 - 10/19/16 02:13 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Master]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Master
To each their own. I played all over the RDR and GTA5 maps. I honestly think they were too small. Especially when MP is involved.

Didn't feel small to me but it definitely felt really cramped. The frontiers were places where you could go a few days without seeing any sign of humans, yet in RDR you couldn't walk ten feet without bandits attacking a town or some lady getting mauled by coyotes.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4304424 - 10/19/16 04:20 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Coot]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Coot
RDR does it right somehow though when it comes to the maps. Just Cause 2 is huge but shallow and plastic and lonely. The environment in RDR is a character itself and feels, looks and sounds right. Someone like me who loves the ASW and cowboy culture, Westerns and the outdoors, landscapes like these to freely travel in games is a dream come true. In a good game I intend to get lost within it and to be immersed in it. RDR has always been a great escape for me. I've spent hours just riding horse back and finding places I hadn't seen before. So bigger maps is a huge deal for me in a game that I feel does it right and designs the game play from the intentional to the passive meaningful.

What was so great about the map in the game is that it followed the game itself. It progressed from the older golden age Westerns--ranching, cattle drives...John Wayne type era. Then it moved into the southern part, taking on the appearance of the spaghetti westerns. Talk of revolution, felt like a different country for sure, basically Mexico. The last area in the far north (south on the new map) moved into the modern Westerns, like Pale Rider, Deadwood etc. More "wilderness" about it too. The map was perfect.

Not sure if this will follow Marsden or not. Looks like a Magnificent Seven type thing with the characters lined up, but I hope that doesn't mean body swapping throughout the game. Maybe the other 6 are just worked into the story like the NPC main characters in the last one and just around when the story advances.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4304474 - 10/19/16 06:50 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I'm with you RK. I hope they don't do the body swapping thing. I don't want that. I want to play most of the whole story as one person and hopefully that's John Marston. He did have that life as a bad man in a gang when he ran with Dutch Van Der Linde.

I tend to disagree that one game is not worth buying a console. If both game and console are brand new then yes, its probably not worth it at the time because money is an issue for most all of us. However I have bought a console solely for games that were exclusive and that I had always wanted to play. I just waited. I bought a Playstation 3 probably 3 years after it came out. The first games to come home with me were Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted. Years later when the price drops on both machine and game it is definitely worth it to me to buy a console and its exclusive games that I had always wanted to play.

The Playstation 4 is the first console that I bought myself on release. I love it and its a great machine but it wasn't worth getting in hindsight because of the lack game choices at the time. It was VERY disappointing and I feel a bit taken advantage of because of the games that were promised and then postponed and because of the fact that it took far too long from console release forward to release a meaningful list of games. That and now learning that they are coming out already with supposedly a newer version of the machine doesn't sit well with me. Either someone at Sony really screwed up the marketing and timing of it all or they took advantage which I feel the later is the case. I should have waited like I normally always do.

However the library of games has caught up and there are definitely games in my opinion that make it worth getting a console now. Though I understand the ideas behind it to a degree I really have to shake my head at those who poo poo consoles altogether. I've been gaming for over 25 years. I know what I like and what I don't on both systems. Some folks though, are missing out on some stellar games. Some of which have become my favorites. "The Last of Us", "Uncharted" series, "The Order: 1886", "Tombraider" reboots......these are fantastic games. Definitely worth getting a console for especially with some of the other games coming on the horizon including RDR2.

#4304494 - 10/19/16 08:09 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I've played about half the Tomb Raider series on PC, using kb and mouse. Works fine.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4304506 - 10/19/16 08:34 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Master]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted By: Master

Oh man, I remember that game. It had a ton of bugs at release. Still was pretty enjoyable though. I never finished it though. It was just to big and didnt run good enough for me to sink enough time into it. I must have played the beginning of it a hundred times though (because of save game corruption bug). I can still close my eyes and mentally play through the beginning lol.

Yeah 'twas buggy, sadly not the worse I've encountered though. The map was big enough that it was actually quite the effort to travel around at times. The cities alone were probably a good fraction of the size of most game's maps.

A 40 sq km map is just too small, that's about the size of a real life neighborhood, or Disneyworld. It's supposed to be "open world", not "open district."

#4304535 - 10/19/16 09:42 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Coot]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Coot

However the library of games has caught up and there are definitely games in my opinion that make it worth getting a console now. Though I understand the ideas behind it to a degree I really have to shake my head at those who poo poo consoles altogether. I've been gaming for over 25 years. I know what I like and what I don't on both systems. Some folks though, are missing out on some stellar games. Some of which have become my favorites. "The Last of Us", "Uncharted" series, "The Order: 1886", "Tombraider" reboots......these are fantastic games. Definitely worth getting a console for especially with some of the other games coming on the horizon including RDR2.

I'm leaning towards the PS4 for those very games, Tomb Raider aside. They have the better exclusives it seems. I just have to accept that controller, I'm really stuck on the 360/X1. My kids have a PS2 & 3, but I just can't stand the controller. I was ok back when I had a PS1. LOL

I prefer kb/m for strategy games and the like, but otherwise, I stick to controller games. Steam Link isn't good without it.
I'd buy a console for Chromehounds if it got re-released, that's why I got my 360 when I did. It would actually be worth it to me for that game alone though. It was that good.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4304597 - 10/20/16 12:56 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I love the PS4 controller RK! Have you used it much? Its very comfortable and laid out very well. One of the best feeling controllers in my opinion. I like it just as much as my 360 controller.

The Naughty Dog games are absolutely fantastic. I first played The Last of Us on PS3 as well as Uncharted series. Now they have the remasters with better visuals and unlocked 60fps. They are even better the second time around with these remasters. Tombraider reboots are not quite the level of Naughty Dog in my opinion but they are just at the cusp of it, very close and they are very good if you like those kind of games and I really do like the reboots. Makes it more serious and with human drama and great mysteries and locations to explore and fun stealth gameplay in particular though nowhere near what Last of Us does. I just finished a second playthrough of The Last of Us and I consider it one of the best game's I've played. I think you'd really like it. It has really good stealth and a balance of weapon and gear management. You have usually what you need but its limited so you have to be strategic about it. The Order: 1886 was also excellent however very short. I really deserves a sequel in my opinion. Of all the pc and console games I've played over two decades The Order has one of the most exquisite game engines I've ever seen. That's the only way I really know how to describe it. Its so organic and quite a thing to behold.

I never played too much RDR multiplayer as I mostly focus on the SP experience but I had some fun moments in mp. Its absolute anarchy though. If you get the PS4 we definitely need to create our own posse. If Rockstar's club website still works we still have that SimHQ gang we made to use but hardly ever did lol. I just couldn't do the GTA thing.

#4304611 - 10/20/16 01:59 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

#4304762 - 10/20/16 01:31 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I hope they come out with a HD version for ps4 of the original game like they did for GTAV, would love to play it again.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#4304799 - 10/20/16 03:03 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Trailer:

#4304801 - 10/20/16 03:15 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: kestrel79]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: kestrel79
I hope they come out with a HD version for ps4 of the original game like they did for GTAV, would love to play it again.

Even better:
And don't fret if you're an Xbox fan: Dates and details haven't been announced, but "similar support for other controller models is coming." And, lest we be accused of bias, Microsoft's pricey Elite controller is really nice too.

It bugs the crap outta me that I can't use the X1 controller on Steam Link. Mafia 3 still doesn't have 360 controller support patched, and the Link doesn't support the X1.

Good looking game in the trailer, but no info of course.

#4304895 - 10/20/16 08:22 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Fall 2017! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Man, awesome I can't wait. I'm with you Kestrel. If they never port it to pc I would settle for an HD 60fps remaster for PS4.

This looks like we could be playing as someone in Dutch van der linde's gang. I hope its John Marston. Maybe they have us playing multiples of the gang members that we kill in the first RDR.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.