Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4298928 - 09/25/16 03:54 PM How to beat the Nieuport N10 & N11 in a Fokker EIV, any advice please!  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Never been good at dogfighting and if having a succes it was always when flying a better plane then my enemy. Right now I have ended my first phase of the Fokker Scourge, as being killed by German AA. So I'm waiting for phase2, that seems to be a FokkerEIV campaign. Never did fly the EIV so I want to know how, what is the best strategy, to keep myself alive when entering the N10 or the N11.
Please give me some hints so I can fly my FS campaign until the end.

Last edited by dutch; 09/25/16 03:56 PM.
#4299025 - 09/25/16 10:44 PM Re: How to beat the Nieuport N10 & N11 in a Fokker EIV, any advice please! [Re: dutch]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Run away. :X

OK, a little more seriously: Against the N10 and 11, treat your Fokker as a boom and zoom fighter. It's not, but it's better at that game than the Nieuport series which will out-turn you without really trying.

Maintain your altitude, come down like a hawk with guns blazing, then use your momentum to get back up to altitude. I believe the Eindeckers have a better climb rate than the Nieuports.

In the Eindeckers I've found some success turning if I use mostly rudder and keep a close eye on where my nose is in relation to the horizon. It's a very tricky business though since she stalls so easily.

#4299032 - 09/25/16 11:54 PM Re: How to beat the Nieuport N10 & N11 in a Fokker EIV, any advice please! [Re: dutch]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
My Centenary DID pilot has been flying a E.IV for quite a while now and I agree with CatKnight's advice. The other thing that I've noticed is to be very patient because the French Nieuports seem to lose interest pretty quickly and that's when you can take them.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4299062 - 09/26/16 06:52 AM Re: How to beat the Nieuport N10 & N11 in a Fokker EIV, any advice please! [Re: dutch]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
I would say....if you can avoid them all together.
If you can't then try to pull them over, low alt, a balloon or infantry position...anything that helps to shoot tehm up. The EIII / IV are ok against rifle armed Be2's but that about it.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4299075 - 09/26/16 10:00 AM Re: How to beat the Nieuport N10 & N11 in a Fokker EIV, any advice please! [Re: dutch]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
I had the same experience. It's difficult, but avoid the temptation to stay and turn with the Nieuports after the first attack and never attack at a disadvantage.

The EIII even will outclimb the N11, but you need to hang on your prop to do it. That means that you aren't running away so much as keeping a few feet above the Nieuport at like 60kts. I have dragged a N11 across half the front trying to get back over my lines. It'll work but it's quite a long process.

There is another possibility that you can use if you are bold...and careful.

By outclimbing the Nieuport you can generate some turning room over time in the vertical and some in the horizontal. If you have enough room for a slice turn, you can rock up on a wing, rudder your nose down, and do a nose low slice to meet the Nieuport 180 out. There's an opportunity for a head on shot or you can blow past and get some distance between you and the Nieuport for a little breathing room. This can also be used if you find yourself running west, but you need to be running east! Also, if you do this several times, many bandits will tire of the drawn out fight and retire.

If you ever find the Nieuport above you BTW, none of this will work. He will have too much zoom potential and will close for a shot before you can climb above him in all cases. The only luck I've had in those cases is spinning the plane and hoping the other guys can't/don't follow.

#4300079 - 10/01/16 05:05 PM Re: How to beat the Nieuport N10 & N11 in a Fokker EIV, any advice please! [Re: dutch]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
This morning I did fly this beast. It is rather difficult to fly with it. First QC, I was shot down by the N10 and made an quick landing in a fence.
Secound, free flight, crash landing at the airstrip.
Noticed it can dive towards a high speed of 200km/h without damaging.

#4301298 - 10/06/16 04:55 PM Re: How to beat the Nieuport N10 & N11 in a Fokker EIV, any advice please! [Re: dutch]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Ah! Nearly missed this Post...

I know I'm the only Fokker E4-Fan since Immelmann, so here are some Recommendations:
At first I'll have to mention, that the E4 is a real Pretator, once you've spent some Time in it. You can easily outmatch multiple N16s. Only the N17 can be of some Danger, but that doesn't mean that you'll have to run away from it. Just pay a bit more Attention to what your Opponent does (N17s are usually flown only by Aces @ that Time)

The first Advice sounds silly, but ends up in a different Flying-Tactic, so:
-Don't get hit.

One single Hit can be enough to damage the Steering-Wires, which instantly ends in a pretty scary Emergency- / Crashlanding.
To avoid Hits, you need to stay out of the Firing-Angle (FA) of your Opponent at all Costs. When he is close to reach FA while circling - break up Circle by eihter a steep Drop or a near-stall Climb.
It doesn't matter if the Opponent gains Height or other Advantages through that. He is outside FA, that is all that counts.
Same for Circles, that end up in both Planes facing their Noses at each other. No Chicken-Runs. No Jousting.

-The E4 is powerful but tardy, use that to your Advantage.
You can eihter climb or fly a tight Curve - not both at the same Time. First, let it drop a bit to gain Speed, then pull up again and turn sharply. Repeat that. This Way you can fly tight Curves. That is some Kind of "Power-Drifting" (works fine with Albatri, also).

-Practice Near-stall-Climbs.
The E4 climbs well, but more important is the Fact that it gets slow really quick by that. Almost like hitting the Brakes of a Car. It can reach an impressive Climbing-Angle, but it is extremely unstable, there, and needs constant Control-Input to keep the Nose upwards.

-Lure them into Diving at you.
When they are behind you and diving into you, drop for Speed and perform a tight "Power-Drift" as described above. If he is good, you both now are at same Level in a Circle @ same Speed, if he is not so brilliant, you can look for him waaaay below you...

-Don't follow Climbing-Circles.
As soon as the Nupe realizes, that the Idea of attacking you was not so good, they often go into a Climbing-Circle to get rid of you. The E4 cannot follow, there, so just climb straight and try to climb higher for as long as he stays in Circle. He will eventually stop and run Home @ Full Speed, so you might want to climb West or South, depending on where you think he wants to go.

-Remote Control.
Okay, you are not the fastest Plane in the Air. The fleeing Enemy is too far away for a clean Shot. Shoot anyway. You just want him to stop flying in a straight Line Home and evade your Bullets instead, mostly by a Circle. That gives you the Opportunity to catch up. You will need a substantial Amount of Bullets for that, but you have more than enough aboard.

-Problems mean: Go Home.
If you fire at someone and hear your own Plane making scary Noises, the Sync-Gear is broken and you are damaging your own Plane by Firing. Stop and go Home. The Double-Row-Rotary is legendary... for it's bad Reliability. If you feel, hear or whatever anything, that is not Normal, turn around and go Home... and keep your Finger on the Ignition-Kill-Switch. It is not unusual, that the Engine explodes into a big Ball of Fire. If you turn off Ignition fast enough, the Fire stops.

-Land fast.
The E4 needs considerably more Speed just to stay in the Air than other Planes. I like Wheels to touch the Ground a bit before the Airfield even starts - I gain some extra Meters to roll.

Hope that has helped a bit to convert more of you into E4-Fans woot

#4301304 - 10/06/16 05:05 PM Re: How to beat the Nieuport N10 & N11 in a Fokker EIV, any advice please! [Re: dutch]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Thanks will try this out, but first I need to land the right way. I did made several atempts to land but no one was perfect. Results from dead pilot to damaged plane.

#4301312 - 10/06/16 05:26 PM Re: How to beat the Nieuport N10 & N11 in a Fokker EIV, any advice please! [Re: dutch]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Try to find a straight Line in front of your Airfield, where no Trees and other high Obstacles are, so you can go close to Ground real early. Blip the Engine roundabout 800...

#4301371 - 10/06/16 09:49 PM Re: How to beat the Nieuport N10 & N11 in a Fokker EIV, any advice please! [Re: dutch]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Nietzsche, you described my experience with the E.IV very nicely. My Centenary DID pilot is doing well in the E.IV and I've found that when I use the tactics you described I can usually out wait the opponent and then strike when he turns for home.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4301536 - 10/07/16 04:10 PM Re: How to beat the Nieuport N10 & N11 in a Fokker EIV, any advice please! [Re: dutch]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Hah! Another E4-Fan! whoohoo
I did a QC against 3 N17s, yesterday: The normal Circle-Diameter of the E4 is even a tiny bit smaller than that of the N17, which means, one can outmatch them without using any Tricks. Only the Low-Speed-Lift of the N17 is better...

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM