#4302456 - 10/11/16 05:03 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: Falstar]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Falstar
Yeah, yeah, I know he's been there for 30 years.

This caught my attention because this implies that the show takes place in some future setting and not current day. I find it hard to believe that this level of android/AI technology would have existed back in the 80's.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4302471 - 10/11/16 05:37 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
They've not said when this was taking place, but I thought it was a given this was taking place many decades if not centuries from now.
We can't create AI or androids that could be mistaken for human nor are we anywhere close to doing so.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4302477 - 10/11/16 05:52 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: Jedi Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
They've not said when this was taking place, but I thought it was a given this was taking place many decades if not centuries from now.
We can't create AI or androids that could be mistaken for human nor are we anywhere close to doing so.

The Jedi Master
What you say makes sense and it will be fun to find out assuming the show's producers choose to reveal that in the future.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4302503 - 10/11/16 07:48 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Apparently while we will not see any other "worlds" this season, they may show one next year. They are not certain yet which it will be.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/will-westworld-go-to-other-worlds/

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4302818 - 10/13/16 06:55 AM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: Falstar]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Originally Posted By: Falstar
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
So what did you guys think of the second episode? I'm really curious to see where this mysterious storyline goes with Ed Harris's character and the whole deal with the nightmare/memory implants reminded me of Blade Runner.

My personal theory is that the boy who Anthony Hopkins meets out in the desert is a younger version of himself that he created.

The whole Ed Harris character has me very confused. Why is he allowed to force the hosts (the girl in this case) to break character for his whole maze/game subplot. Obviously they can see him do it, and the general disruption to the parks story line he is causing. Yeah, yeah, I know he's been there for 30 years.

As for the boy, I think that's a given. The whole god/create in his image thing..

I presume the gunman in black more of a beta tester or a host with a operator ID to test the system periodically.

#4302845 - 10/13/16 10:58 AM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Interesting theory DaBBQ!

Something just occurred to me recently. How do the human guests at the park identify the other human guests from the android hosts? You'd think that having multiple human guests at the park with live firearms would have potential for disaster.

#4302846 - 10/13/16 10:58 AM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I got the impression that the Man in Black is a longtime, and apparently influential, guest. And that somehow he is unhappy with his real life, so that's why he is trying to find a permanent "home" for himself in the artificial world.

Apparently, whatever that "Maze" is, seems to him to be some sort of "Paradise" or maybe some form of a potential afterlife. Maybe it's a place for the "hosts" - or what they perceive to be their "souls" - to go to "take a break"?

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4302847 - 10/13/16 11:00 AM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Interesting theory DaBBQ!

Something just occurred to me recently. How do the human guests at the park identify the other human guests from the android hosts? You'd think that having multiple human guests at the park with live firearms would have potential for disaster.

Didn't the girl who showed that insecure guest around last episode tell him that he could not harm anyone he is not supposed to?

I guess the bullets are made from the same basic material /molecular structure as the "hosts", so they can only interact with their tissue. It's HBO, so...Dragons. smile

Last edited by Jayhawk; 10/13/16 11:01 AM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4302849 - 10/13/16 11:02 AM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: Jayhawk]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

I guess the bullets are from made from the same material as the "hosts", so they can only interact with their tissue.
That would make sense.

#4302850 - 10/13/16 11:03 AM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Should we just start referring to the hosts as skinjobs or is it still too early? wink

#4302878 - 10/13/16 12:31 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
They're closer to robots than the Cylons or replicants were.

The Jedi Master

#4302893 - 10/13/16 12:51 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: Jedi Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
They're closer to robots than the Cylons or replicants were.

The Jedi Master
I don't know. The WW hosts seem to be almost entirely composed of organic material. The human guests have sex with some of them after all. smile

#4302897 - 10/13/16 12:58 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Neither replicants nor Cylons would start behaving like Old Bill or Walter did in the pilot when they were malfunctioning. They would just act like crazy people. They also seemed to be impossible to reprogram or wipe. That's a major distinction.

The Jedi Master

#4302898 - 10/13/16 01:00 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
My analogy would be they are like better looking (and more "humanly" acting) Datas with significantly less capable AI - and no positronic brain. smile

The question is, and I could imagine at some point they are going to show us, how close to humans the "hosts" actually are (like do they have working internal organs?), and how their bodies move: "mechanical" (artificial joints and servos) or "biological" (working bone structure/joints/cartilage, functional muscle tissue beyond fine movements like facial expressions)?

Last edited by Jayhawk; 10/13/16 01:20 PM.

#4302902 - 10/13/16 01:12 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: Jayhawk]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
My analogy would be they are like better looking (and more "humanly" acting) Datas with significantly less capable AI - and no positronic brain. smile

I like that analogy a lot!

And of course both the WW hosts and Data are "fully functional" too. biggrin

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/13/16 01:12 PM.

#4303017 - 10/13/16 08:17 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA

The question is, and I could imagine at some point they are going to show us, how close to humans the "hosts" actually are (like do they have working internal organs?), and how their bodies move: "mechanical" (artificial joints and servos) or "biological" (working bone structure/joints/cartilage, functional muscle tissue beyond fine movements like facial expressions)?

You do see the bodies "under construction" in those labs where they are interviewing the hosts. They appear to be made of tissue analogs, not actual tissue, as they're all white and don't look like a butcher's shop window.
It is likely there are advances in medical tech and whatever people use for artificial limbs/skin grafts is also used for the bots.

The Jedi Master

#4303031 - 10/13/16 08:44 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

They are made with Play-dough, marshmallows.... and love.

#4303705 - 10/16/16 09:09 PM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jerkzilla Offline
Ay dios mio
Jerkzilla  Offline
Ay dios mio

Forgotten Weapons did an episode on Ed Harris somewhat unusual gun. The fact that it was reloaded with brass cartridges just after the the pre-Civil War time frame was mentioned made it stand out a bit. It doesn't bother me though.

#4303749 - 10/17/16 03:29 AM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
So what did you guys think of the third episode?

So there's no doubt by now that a major theme of this show is how and why some of the hosts are evolving and becoming more human. Maybe this is being driven by a supernatural deity a la' Battlestar Galactica? biggrin

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/17/16 11:04 AM.

#4303782 - 10/17/16 10:34 AM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
We always wondered why Kara vanished so abruptly...and to where. wink

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.