Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4297215 - 09/18/16 01:13 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Where did you download those from? Might be fake.
There's a new FULL installer that installs BMS 4.33 and Update 1 in one package and the file you end up with is titled Falcon_BMS_4.33_U1_Setup so no 001/002/003 etc. and there never was a setup like that for BMS, hence my suspicion it is a fake.

Always, always, always get your downloads from the BMS website and get the .torrent file if you can. I also personally use 7zip.

Good luck!

EDIT: you will need to sign up for a forum account (or be logged in) in order to see any post content in the official BMS forums, otherwise you'll just be redirected to the Forum Rules page:

Last edited by - Ice; 09/19/16 06:12 PM. Reason: Clarification added

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4297216 - 09/18/16 01:19 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Here's what the unzipped contents look like. Also note the resulting folder arrangement:
C:\....\Downloads\Falcon_BMS_4.33_U1_Setup\Falcon BMS 4.33 U1 Setup

- Ice
#4297234 - 09/18/16 02:46 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
EjectEject Offline
SBD
EjectEject  Offline
SBD

USA
There's also a direct, non-torrent link, hosted by E-HAF on the BMS site, http://www.e-haf.org/PublicFTP/320/BMS_4.33/Falcon_BMS_4.33_U1_Setup.zip

Last edited by EjectEject; 09/18/16 02:47 PM.
#4297238 - 09/18/16 02:55 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

While E-HAF may have a link now, new releases will always be released via .torrent first so it's the best and most reliable way to get the installer.

Plus more people on the .torrent means we distribute the installer to more people quicker and not have to overload one group's server.

- Ice
#4297262 - 09/18/16 05:42 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: - Ice]  
EjectEject Offline
SBD
EjectEject  Offline
SBD

USA
Originally Posted By: - Ice
While E-HAF may have a link now, new releases will always be released via .torrent first so it's the best and most reliable way to get the installer.

Plus more people on the .torrent means we distribute the installer to more people quicker and not have to overload one group's server.

2nd that for sure. I can't use torrents, so I always have to wait for the direct download.

#4297300 - 09/18/16 07:46 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: EjectEject]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: EjectEject
2nd that for sure. I can't use torrents, so I always have to wait for the direct download.

Why can't you use torrents?

- Ice
#4297365 - 09/19/16 01:24 AM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: EjectEject]  
Juggernaut Offline
Juggernaut  Offline

There's also a direct, non-torrent link, hosted by E-HAF on the BMS site, http://www.e-haf.org/PublicFTP/320/BMS_4.33/Falcon_BMS_4.33_U1_Setup.zip

Hi,

I got this one downloaded fine. Thank you.

BUT, how do I install?
It used to be that as long as you had the original Falcon 4 CD in the disk drive, that it would install, but with this one it does not work.
With this it says that I must have the actual old Falcon 4 installed - is that the new way with 4.33?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

Daddy Versus the Squirrels - a children's book!
See the true story and a FREE preview: www.daddyversus.com
Buy on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=daddy+versus+the+squirrels
#4297382 - 09/19/16 03:20 AM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: Juggernaut]  
Schwalbe Offline
Schwalbe  Offline

Originally Posted By: Juggernaut

Hi,

BUT, how do I install?
It used to be that as long as you had the original Falcon 4 CD in the disk drive, that it would install, but with this one it does not work.
With this it says that I must have the actual old Falcon 4 installed - is that the new way with 4.33?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

linky link
http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthread...-to-be-prepared

#4297400 - 09/19/16 09:41 AM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: Juggernaut]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Hi,

BUT, how do I install?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

sigh Sigh.... You never even looked at the link I gave, did you?

I never understand why people refuse to go to the official BMS forums and read a short blurb.... and then come back scratching their heads as to why certain issues occur. Second sentence/paragraph... posting here asking your question would've taken you more time than actually reading and getting to the bit you're asking questions about.

- Ice
#4297452 - 09/19/16 02:38 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: - Ice]  
EjectEject Offline
SBD
EjectEject  Offline
SBD

USA

Why can't you use torrents?

Sorry Ice, didn't see reply.
ISP rules, they shut down the connection when they detect torrenting. Used VPN's for a while to get around it but finally just said blah. Crappy I know, but they're 1 of 2 available and they both do the same thing. Curse of country living I guess.

#4297476 - 09/19/16 05:20 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: EjectEject]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

ISP rules, they shut down the connection when they detect torrenting. Used VPN's for a while to get around it but finally just said blah. Crappy I know, but they're 1 of 2 available and they both do the same thing. Curse of country living I guess.

What? That's atrocious! Not all torrents are "copyright infringement bastards"!! I know some mods are distributed via .torrents and even some programs give you the option to download via .torrent! Heck, I recommend torrenting for slow and unstable connections simply because if you download normally and the connection cuts off, you either get a corrupted download or you need to start again from 0% whereas a torrent would just keep on puttering and will check the downloaded files for "integrity" before declaring it complete.... so you can have cut offs and start-stop connection but a torrent program will guarantee your end-result download is 100% correct.

Also note that while you linked directly to the E-HAF download site, that info is also available on the BMS page I linked... perhaps if Juggernaut had to go to the BMS page and read through it, it would avoid the follow-up question he posted.

- Ice
#4297482 - 09/19/16 05:42 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: - Ice]  
Juggernaut Offline
Juggernaut  Offline

Hi,

BUT, how do I install?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

sigh Sigh.... You never even looked at the link I gave, did you?

I never understand why people refuse to go to the official BMS forums and read a short blurb.... and then come back scratching their heads as to why certain issues occur. Second sentence/paragraph... posting here asking your question would've taken you more time than actually reading and getting to the bit you're asking questions about.

Sorry man.
I was asking about getting a working file and the link you gave was for forum rules, so I did not read any of it since it did not seem relevant to what I was looking for & instead I downloaded the direct link provided to me in another response. My bad.

Thanks though for directing me to the site to answer my question - seems they changed their policy - you now have to have the original F4 actually installed for the new BMS to install also.

Thanks!

Buy on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=daddy+versus+the+squirrels
#4297488 - 09/19/16 06:07 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Sorry man.
I was asking about getting a working file and the link you gave was for forum rules, so I did not read any of it since it did not seem relevant to what I was looking for & instead I downloaded the direct link provided to me in another response. My bad.

Thanks though for directing me to the site to answer my question - seems they changed their policy - you now have to have the original F4 actually installed for the new BMS to install also.

Thanks!

This was my post which links you to the very page that contains 1) the info I highlighted in the pic above, 2) the .torrent file for the installer, and 3) a direct link to E-HAF's hosted file. Everything you needed is on that page.

There's a new FULL installer that installs BMS 4.33 and Update 1 in one package and the file you end up with is titled Falcon_BMS_4.33_U1_Setup so no 001/002/003 etc. and there never was a setup like that for BMS, hence my suspicion it is a fake.

Always, always, always get your downloads from the BMS website and get the .torrent file if you can. I also personally use 7zip.

Good luck!

Having said that, if you don't have an account on the BMS forum (or you're logged out of your account), **THIS** is what you'll see:

So my apologies, I should've made it clearer that a BMS forum account is needed to view the page. Fixing that post now.

However, I strongly recommend you sign up for a BMS forum account. More discussion goes on there, mods to both the aircraft and theatres (as well as different theatres) are available, and so on, and these are all gleaned from the official BMS forums. Plus like I said, Updates are released via .torrent first and direct links are added to the same page soon after so it'll be easier for you with a forum account.

As for **WHY** the BMS team changed their policy regarding the install, short story is because of their agreement with the new IP holder of Falcon. More info can be read on the website, starting with the link Schwalbe provided.... again, a signed-in BMS account is needed to view content of the post.

Good luck! biggrin

- Ice
#4297489 - 09/19/16 06:08 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: - Ice]  
EjectEject Offline
SBD
EjectEject  Offline
SBD

USA

What? That's atrocious! Not all torrents are "copyright infringement bastards"!! I know some mods are distributed via .torrents and even some programs give you the option to download via .torrent! Heck, I recommend torrenting for slow and unstable connections simply because if you download normally and the connection cuts off, you either get a corrupted download or you need to start again from 0% whereas a torrent would just keep on puttering and will check the downloaded files for "integrity" before declaring it complete.... so you can have cut offs and start-stop connection but a torrent program will guarantee your end-result download is 100% correct.

Also note that while you linked directly to the E-HAF download site, that info is also available on the BMS page I linked... perhaps if Juggernaut had to go to the BMS page and read through it, it would avoid the follow-up question he posted.

Yea, I went round and round with them on it. Even pointed out that Eagle Dynamics distributes DCS World that way now. Eventually they will catch on hopefully. It's a pain though, had to wait quite a while for 4.33.U1 to have a direct link. I've gotten in the habit now of using public wifi on my phone and downloading torrent content that way while out ans about. THe stop resume and integrity check make it great.
I thought the BMS page was already linked so I just through the direct in there.

Last edited by EjectEject; 09/19/16 06:09 PM.
#4297492 - 09/19/16 06:16 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: EjectEject]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I thought the BMS page was already linked so I just through the direct in there.

Yeah but in this case, important info got skipped. Also, I believe that the BMS team frown upon providing a "direct link" outside of their forums simply because they cannot verify the integrity of this link. How would you feel if you downloaded the "Update 2" from an external site only to discover your PC is now infected with a virus? Will you think "it's my fault for downloading from an external site" or will you think "dammit, the Update 2 the BMS team is distributing has a virus in it!!"?

They're quite protective of their "baby" and even things like the PDF manuals are guarded like it's treasure so I can only imagine how they guard their reputation.

So again, reinforces my point of recommending .torrent downloading and also getting files **directly from the source.**

- Ice
#4297528 - 09/19/16 07:52 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: - Ice]  
Juggernaut Offline
Juggernaut  Offline

Sorry man.

Thanks!

This was my post which links you to the very page that contains 1) the info I highlighted in the pic above, 2) the .torrent file for the installer, and 3) a direct link to E-HAF's hosted file. Everything you needed is on that page.

Good luck!

Having said that, if you don't have an account on the BMS forum (or you're logged out of your account), **THIS** is what you'll see:

So my apologies, I should've made it clearer that a BMS forum account is needed to view the page. Fixing that post now.

However, I strongly recommend you sign up for a BMS forum account. More discussion goes on there, mods to both the aircraft and theatres (as well as different theatres) are available, and so on, and these are all gleaned from the official BMS forums. Plus like I said, Updates are released via .torrent first and direct links are added to the same page soon after so it'll be easier for you with a forum account.

As for **WHY** the BMS team changed their policy regarding the install, short story is because of their agreement with the new IP holder of Falcon. More info can be read on the website, starting with the link Schwalbe provided.... again, a signed-in BMS account is needed to view content of the post.

Good luck! biggrin

Hi. No problem. I do have a forum account - just need to find my password :-)

I figure the change might be related to the IP issues - will be interesting to see what comes of it - for this sim which is nearly 20 years old but still the king of sims!

I have been avoiding installing torrent just because I had issues long ago with similar software but perhaps it is time to take a new look.

Thanks!
Juggernaut

#4297537 - 09/19/16 08:22 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: - Ice]  
EjectEject Offline
SBD
EjectEject  Offline
SBD

USA

They're quite protective of their "baby" and even things like the PDF manuals are guarded like it's treasure so I can only imagine how they guard their reputation.

So again, reinforces my point of recommending .torrent downloading and also getting files **directly from the source.**

Point taken, got the link from the forum of course but should have just linked like you did. thumbsup

#4297556 - 09/19/16 09:40 PM Re: BMS 4.33 ....Any idea when direct download links are available ? [Re: EjectEject]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Hi. No problem. I do have a forum account - just need to find my password :-)

I figure the change might be related to the IP issues - will be interesting to see what comes of it - for this sim which is nearly 20 years old but still the king of sims!

I have been avoiding installing torrent just because I had issues long ago with similar software but perhaps it is time to take a new look.

Thanks!
Juggernaut

Um, yeah... IIRC, they changed forum hosts or something a while ago and that prompted a new signup? My memory's a bit vague on that one though.

As for the IP, well, a lot of speculation went on when that happened so them asking for a full install rather than just an .exe check is really a very minor inconvenience. You can pass the check with a Minimum install of Falcon 4.0.

For torrenting files, I use qBittorrent. I used to use uTorrent but their recent versions haven't been so good frown

Point taken, got the link from the forum of course but should have just linked like you did. thumbsup

Haha! And I learned that pointing to the forum is useless if someone does not have a forum account or is not signed in.... and it could also confuse them just like what happened now! Lessons learned for both of us! thumbsup

- Ice
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.