Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4294930 - 09/09/16 10:24 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: Paul Rix]  
nadal Offline
nadal  Offline

Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
I don't know how well this will work. I took the A10C up using my monitor (a 1080P LCD TV). I then took a couple of screen shots and cropped them. Then degraded the images by reducing the image size and then bumping it back to the original size. To my eye it roughly approximates the image quality I am getting in the Rift (I would be interested in other VR user's opinion on that...

Actually, jumping back in the Rift for a comparison, it is slightly better in the headset than these images (The TAD is noticeably easier to read in the headset than in the image I posted). What the images don't show is the so called screen door effect, but that is very easy to ignore unless you focus on seeing it.

May I ask your pixel density settings?
HUD sharpness is much much clearer than I thought it'd be.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4294993 - 09/10/16 06:04 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
I'm using 1.8 for pixel density.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4294994 - 09/10/16 06:15 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: BrettT]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Originally Posted By: BrettT
Pretty decent pics on the last page.

Are those pics representative of leaning in to view the HUD or MFD or are they how it looks sitting at the normal sitting position?

Also how is the overall FOV (Horizontal and Vertical)? Are the side by side videos you see of the rift/vive representative of the FOV or does the actual FOV extend more (they seem decent for vertical FOV but seem a little narrow for the horizontal FOV)

Thanks,

Brett

Brett, the screens I posted don't represent the FOV at all, just my approximation of the image quality. The FOV is something like looking through ski goggles or a scuba mask. Oh, and normal sitting position.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4295232 - 09/11/16 01:01 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: mikew]  
Pikes Offline
Pikes  Offline

I've tried it and i ordered it.

Motion sickness can be a thing but I had two sessions and found you get used to it. The owner of the Rift I tested found he got used to it also to the point where he started at 20 mins before wanted to puke and he's now immune. Choppers combined with someone swinging my chair set me off smile

It's a different game and its unable to be explained easily. Currently digital cockpits are difficult to read (not impossible though) Steam guages are better, and I'll be combat in warbirds. It will not replace serious play with a trackir, but if I want to fly for flyings sake then the Rift would be my goto experience platform.

Things will only get better. Anyone thats budgeted for a 10-series Nvidia card this year could plan for a Rift next year with savings starting now.

Go find someone local you can try with, its the only way to believe.

#4295245 - 09/11/16 03:22 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Personally, I see using Track-IR and a monitor as a great training aid for a new aircraft module to get to know the systems and cockpit controls, before jumping into VR to fly it in a more immersive and realistic environment. Once you are familiar with a new aircraft, the problems with associated with VR are greatly reduced.

Carl Sagan
#4295280 - 09/11/16 05:36 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I remember feeling sick when I started using TIR, and also my neck would ache after 20 minutes of flying.... but as with everything, I got used to it and doesn't bother me now. I would expect a similar "learning curve" with VR.

My plan is to keep talking about VR and hopefully, time will pass quickly and the second generation would arrive and THEN I'll go for those biggrin

- Ice
#4295315 - 09/11/16 07:43 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: ]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Troll
Brilliant plan! And you're so good at it! Talking, I mean... wink

cheers

- Ice
#4295363 - 09/11/16 11:03 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Maico Offline
Maico  Offline

Qatar
The 3d is very immersive but I believe it is the FOV that's the game changer. I have never felt so "In the game" as I do with this. The head tracking on my device is flawless and much better than my TiR5 ever was. As Pikes pointed above, there is only one way to truly get it all in... You got to try one. Flying has become a new experience.

Maico
i7 5930 @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX1080 8GB Hybrid
DDR4 3000 x 32Gig
Fatal1ty x99x Mother
LG 34"UC97 Curved
Ultra Wide 3440x1440
TiR5, Thrustmaster Warthog,
Slaw Device Bf-109 Pedals
#4295436 - 09/12/16 09:29 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Flit Offline
Flit  Offline

Auckland
I've been flight simming since the very early IL2 days. Since then, I've been watching with wonder and amazement at enthusiasts building such fantastic home cockpits. I have seen, on the internet, full scale 737 cockpits, F16s, A10s, KA-50s, a smattering of half cocked WWII cockpits, even a mech warrior thing, and more. How I dreamed that these technical marvels were what I needed to get the ultimate home simming kicks - and a tear rolled down my cheek as I sat crouched over my single monitor and realised I had neither the money, knowledge, time, and to be completely honest with myself - the untold dedication required to finish something like that. Heck, I've not even managed to get my hands on a TrackIR.

And then, along comes VR - and if all goes to plan I can order an Oculus Rift and a suitable graphics card tomorrow. I don't recall being so enthusiastic about a retail item since I knew I had saved enough pocket money to buy myself a 10 speed bicycle (way back in 1982).

I still hold all these cockpit builds in high regard (<Salute to you Sirs/Madams) - but I am more than relieved that VR can be uplifted out of a box and strapped on my head to give me the immersion I have been wishing for without demanding a few years of time and pay to such a cockpit build as described above.

Please forgive my, perhaps seemingly, feverish rant. ha ha. I guess this Rift will take about a painful month to get down here to NZ. For the meantime I will continue reading such enthusiastic reviews and watching people wearing VR goggles on youtube shouting 'wow'.

#4295492 - 09/12/16 02:12 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
You are going to love it Flit! The thing with home built cockpits, is that they only represent one aircraft type if you go all out for authenticity. They also take up a lot of room. I think it won't be long before VR largely kills off home cockpit building (there will always be a few hardcore enthusiast though).

The cockpits in DCS are amazing in VR. When I first sat in the MiG 15 cockpit and looked around I was stunned. Little details like the nuts and bolts attaching the gunsight to the glare shield, the small first aid kit found on the aft bulkhead, and the various pipes and plumbing, all pop out at you. It's pretty amazing.

Carl Sagan
#4295559 - 09/12/16 05:06 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Maico Offline
Maico  Offline

Qatar
Flit, Congrats!
Paul, you are right on. I have never had such a feeling of having the aircraft strapped to my butt. Also that feeling that the canopy is... Right There! Feels like its going to brush up against my head.

Maico
i7 5930 @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX1080 8GB Hybrid
DDR4 3000 x 32Gig
Fatal1ty x99x Mother
LG 34"UC97 Curved
Ultra Wide 3440x1440
#4295638 - 09/12/16 07:49 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Guys, just double-checking here, but for fully-interactive cockpits like the Hog/Shark, how do you interact with the switches/knobs/buttons when in VR?

- Ice
#4295678 - 09/12/16 09:45 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

So kinda like TIR? You move the view by moving your head, then use the mouse to position the cursor and click?

- Ice
#4295741 - 09/13/16 02:09 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Yes, but much less fiddley than using a mouse with Track-IR because the head tracking is 1:1. The cursor is much more manageable.

Carl Sagan
#4295777 - 09/13/16 05:40 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Yes, tracking-wise VR head tracking is a huge improvement. It's just awesome to look around, track enemies and check your six in VR - in fact last weekend I had a major attempt at playing some sims on monitor again (mostly RoF) and found it a real pain to go back to trackIR.

For switch interaction, I reckon there's a good chance that we'll see full on hand controller tracking in a number of sims in the future (near future in some cases) - FlyInside already does that for FSX/Prepar3d, but I've seen even better implementations of hand controls of switches and knobs in SoundStage, where you can flick switches naturally and turn radio knobs with a twist, etc, all with 1:1 movement - these controllers have sub mm accuracy so they're really efficient for these sort of tasks.

#4295920 - 09/13/16 04:34 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Maico Offline
Maico  Offline

Qatar
Hey guys,
I just finished talking about how TIR is inferior when it comes to head tracking. I tried to do a little training on the flat screen but... Its OR or nothing now...
I did about 10 minutes in the F-5 and could not stand using the TIR. When I put the on the OR and that 3D popped out... forget flat screens.

Maico
i7 5930 @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX1080 8GB Hybrid
DDR4 3000 x 32Gig
Fatal1ty x99x Mother
LG 34"UC97 Curved
Ultra Wide 3440x1440
#4295942 - 09/13/16 05:35 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
Originally Posted By: FlyingMonkey
I've seen even better implementations of hand controls of switches and knobs in SoundStage, where you can flick switches naturally and turn radio knobs with a twist, etc, all with 1:1 movement - these controllers have sub mm accuracy so they're really efficient for these sort of tasks.

That sounds very promising, once the clarity improves a bit and there is an efficent hand controller interface I think I will have found my simming nirvana!

As it is the experience I am now having in VR is simply amazing. Last night I installed the Mistral Carrier Mod by the late Lilkiki and flew a couple of approaches in a Gazelle.

I came in along side an almost full deck and aimmed for a free slot, once abeam of it I slowly shuffled my way in as the carrier cruised along. It felt so natural looking down to my right as the deck came up! Bloody amazing feeling!

#4296078 - 09/14/16 03:57 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Maico Offline
Maico  Offline

Qatar
If anybody is having problems loosing the Sensor from time to time... Here is a fix...
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/prevent-windows-from-powering-off-usb-device/

I will try this as I was loosing the sensor. I will edit this to report my findings.

Update; This works. When I got home I had the same problems. So I did this fix. I found it easy to do and in no time I was up and running. I played for over an hour with no lockups or problems whatsoever.

Oculus suggests that you buy a PCI USB 3.0 card witch I ordered because it adds 6 USB 3.0 ports. However, for the cash strapped this above is a better solution.

Last edited by Maico; 09/14/16 04:16 PM.

Maico
i7 5930 @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX1080 8GB Hybrid
DDR4 3000 x 32Gig
Fatal1ty x99x Mother
LG 34"UC97 Curved
Ultra Wide 3440x1440
#4296089 - 09/14/16 06:02 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Regarding hand controls, natural hand recognition (something like leap motion but working better) would be the most natural to use with HOTAS, but Vive or Touch controllers work well for a lot of things. As a matter of fact, the current implementation of Leap Motion in FlyInside works pretty well (I have one which I used when I was still using the DK2), although the Vive controllers tracks more acurately. One of the main issues with leap motion tracking is the limited FOV of the sensor and how bad it performs when hands are far from it - so with leap motion mounted on the headset, flicking switches located low in the cockpit can't happen, while the Vive controller has now problem there (and with the 2 base stations I don't have any occlusion even when putting the controller lower than the stick/yoke and near the stick stand etc)

The way I currently use the Vive controller in FSX consists in having one controller within hand reach and grabbing it when I need - during startup I don't really need the HOTAS much, so I have the controller in hand, flick switches etc - it's way better than using a mouse anyway. During flight, it's pretty quick to pick the controller up and reach for whatever switch I need then drop it again, especially if it's airliner already fully or partly in autopilot (ie during the climb I'll keep one hand on the yoke while I engage autopilot, flick switches and adjust the MCP knobs). I could see myself doing that during DCS startup as well, or for anything that isn't happening right in the middle of combat - for that I'll still rely on HOTAS button of course (and possibly some voice attack commands, although I find myself not needing it in the end after having started using it for Elite Dangerous)

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 09/14/16 06:06 AM.
#4296253 - 09/14/16 09:56 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Longbow fanatic Offline
Longbow fanatic  Offline

Santa Fe, NM USA
Ok guys I'm going to get one of these with a 1080gtx equipped laptop, ( I travel a lot for work) have any of you that tried the higher pixel count above 100 percent ( 1.5, 1.6...) had any issues with the unit overheating or shutting down? I thought I read that on some other forums... anyways, I'm getting that the pixel density of 1 ( 100 percent) is the native res of 1080 by 1200 per eye, and anything above that is up scaling... how does the higher pixel counts look overall? Thanks!

Why do people think flight sims are nerdy???
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.