Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4288051 - 08/17/16 05:13 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Check out Best Buy stores in your area too. They might have one in stock. It's a long shot, but if delivery time is a factor it might be better to drive out and get one, even if it is some distance away.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4288052 - 08/17/16 05:16 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
And a quick check shows Amazon has them in stock. You can get fast shipping from them. Also they have a great returns policy in the unlikely event that there is a problem with it. Oculus returns and replacement take awhile (they like to troubleshoot, which can take a long time).

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4288054 - 08/17/16 06:21 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: cichlidfan]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: cichlidfan
My OR, from Oculus directly, arrived in a box that was slightly less than 18x15x9 inches. The actual box containing the product was 15.5x12.5x8.6 inches (you will want to keep that very nice, custom fit, box).

Yes, I still have the original boxes. biggrin

Delivery time was quite quick. I don't recall dates but a few days after I received the shipping info, Fed Ex dropped it off.

Fantastic news cichlidfan! I will see what the specs are for a carry on bag tonight.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4288055 - 08/17/16 06:25 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: Paul Rix]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
And a quick check shows Amazon has them in stock. You can get fast shipping from them. Also they have a great returns policy in the unlikely event that there is a problem with it. Oculus returns and replacement take awhile (they like to troubleshoot, which can take a long time).

Check out Best Buy stores in your area too. They might have one in stock. It's a long shot, but if delivery time is a factor it might be better to drive out and get one, even if it is some distance away.

Thanks Paul for the info. As quoted earlier by someone, great minds think alike. I also looked at both of those sites. Funny thing was Best Buy had none in stock within a 250 mile radius of the zip code I input. I will check again when I arrive in Seattle on the 21st. If I can bring as a carry on for my return flight, I will have one delivered locally to my leave address. If it's too big for a carry on, I will most likely utilize Amazon, as they have a better track record of tracking and returns from items I've ordered in the past.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4288147 - 08/17/16 03:24 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Maico Offline
Maico  Offline

Qatar
Hi Guys,
strykerpsg, I got mine with Amazon APO to Qatar. It was no big deal. Yes, I worried some APO pirate might get me... But it came through. If I were traveling, I would put it in a bag and carry it on the plane. The box is a bit big but not too big to carry on a plane. It will not be considered carry on... I thinks it will be worth it to you the first time you wear it.

In my world, I managed to get up to 4.0Ghz on my proc. Thanks to the inspiration of this thread I decided to get off my butt and dedicate time to what really matters.... The BIOS. Step one, I disconnected all my USB devices. I then went into the BIOS (UEFE)and cranked up the fan speed. Then I set XMP on the RAM to a higher setting. Incredibly it worked. Im using Open Hardware Monitor. I ran a Valley Benchmark and my temps were in the high 60s! Yay! So I increased the CPU ratio to 3.8 Ghz. That ran at about 70C. So I increased again to 4.0 Ghz. My temps now are low 70s C. I may try to go up to 4.2 Ghz. I will not push it to a ragged edge... There is no need to.
Afterwards I took a ride in my Beloved MiG-21Bis. OMG! If you don't have OR, wait till you see that pit. It is amazing. Not for the claustrophobic but very satisfying if you know your way around it.
Im now getting a much improved VR experience.

Thank You for your support guys.

Maico
i7 5930 @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX1080 8GB Hybrid
DDR4 3000 x 32Gig
Fatal1ty x99x Mother
LG 34"UC97 Curved
Ultra Wide 3440x1440
TiR5, Thrustmaster Warthog,
Slaw Device Bf-109 Pedals
#4291231 - 08/28/16 04:37 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Maico Offline
Maico  Offline

Qatar
After my "much improved" VR experience I have put down Rift for a bit. Right after Apollo 11 made me sick as hell. Without the Oculus I played DCS. The first thing that hit me was how good it looked. Because I had to work to optimize my PC now I can run DCS in 3440 x 1440 with Everything on Max at a constant 60 fps. And its so beautiful. Only one mission so far brings it down a bit. The instant action M2000C mission landing at Nellis is a great benchmark. I managed to fly down the stip at .9 Mach and meters from the ground getting high 40s. Its smoooooth too.
So thank you Oculus for making me work on my rig. Its amazing how a new install can make a huge difference. I will take a break then I will give the Oculus another whirl.

Maico
i7 5930 @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX1080 8GB Hybrid
DDR4 3000 x 32Gig
Fatal1ty x99x Mother
LG 34"UC97 Curved
Ultra Wide 3440x1440
#4293959 - 09/06/16 03:21 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Maico Offline
Maico  Offline

Qatar
I am back on the Oculus Rift. Once youre hooked on the feeling of real flying there is no turning back. I only use the screen to create missions and take breaks from the Rift. I have been learning the 109 and 190 and only the Rift can make my takeoffs and landing more enjoyable. Although you look like a loon with your head hanging out the cockpit of your 109 trying to taxi. My roommate said, "What are you doing!" LoL

Maico
i7 5930 @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX1080 8GB Hybrid
DDR4 3000 x 32Gig
Fatal1ty x99x Mother
LG 34"UC97 Curved
Ultra Wide 3440x1440
#4294013 - 09/06/16 07:10 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Totally agree, I've been spending a fair amount of time in the Blackshark recently with my Oculus. Increased the pixel density to 2.0 and the instruments are much sharper and the HUD perfect.

I almost fell out of my chair the other night trying to lean over the side consoles and look out of the window to check my stub wings for damage.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4294097 - 09/07/16 02:18 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Maico Offline
Maico  Offline

Qatar
Great Story Troll. After a couple of beers I reach for the canopy frame.

Paradaz, 2.0 Really!?! You must have some beast of a machine.

Question; Do the regular video settings affect VR? I got AA and AF set pretty high there. My Rift is now running good enough for combat but I think I will always be looking for more performance until CV2 comes out...
Why do I get the feeling that I will have to buy another VR headset in less than a year? nope

Maico
i7 5930 @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX1080 8GB Hybrid
DDR4 3000 x 32Gig
Fatal1ty x99x Mother
LG 34"UC97 Curved
Ultra Wide 3440x1440
#4294143 - 09/07/16 11:27 AM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Would love to get one but thinking that a PC upgrade might be in order first

Running a 980 TI Amp edition + i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4294147 - 09/07/16 12:16 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Leaf, I'm running on a straight GTX980 and it runs DCS just fine if you use the default VR settings (well, I reduce the clutter visibility and increase the textures to high). You should be more than fine with a 980Ti, at least for awhile. I plan on upgrading to a GTX1080, but that will probably be early next year.

Carl Sagan
#4294245 - 09/07/16 08:05 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I've got a superclocked GTX1080 paired with an overclocked 6700k CPU and 32G RAM. I put off an upgrade 18 months ago so had a blow out this time around and timed it to land with the Oculus once I found the rough release dates.

Its always good to be that position (probably for a short period of time) where you can crank all game settings to ultra/max. I've not attempted the pixel density any higher than 2.0 within DCS though.....it may be worth running the SDK performance overlay to see just how far it can be pushed and what visible difference it makes within the cockpit.

#4294249 - 09/07/16 08:18 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: ]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: Maico
Why do I get the feeling that I will have to buy another VR headset in less than a year?

That's the problem with buying the Mk.I ;-)
But, if the CV2 has increased resolution, the PC hardware need to improve even more... Is there a PC that can run DCS in VR with all the settings at max, and pixel density at 2.5? Don't think so. And there's your upgrade potential. I don't think I will get a new HMD until I have a PC that can exploit the CV1 to its fullest.

It's actually software that needs to catch up to the hardware.

Most GPUs are massively underused by VR because rendering the scene from two viewpoints increases the amount of data processed by the CPU. That's where the bottleneck is, not necessarily CPU power but the fact that everything has to go back and forth.

In theory Pascal cards have the technology (Simultaneous Multi Projection) to alleviate that, along with other processes which can render with the necessary distortion rather than doing it as a post process.

Wouldn't hold my breath for ED to implement any of that tho', obviously wink

#4294252 - 09/07/16 08:26 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
I don't think that anyone can really criticize ED for their efforts to implement VR. I think they have done a pretty amazing job in that department so far. Obviously, still room for improvement though.

Carl Sagan
#4294281 - 09/07/16 10:14 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Just trying to get a feel here, so pardon the n00b question:
If you could "do over" but know what you know now, would you still have bought your Rift/Vive or would you wait for the next model instead?

- Ice
#4294284 - 09/07/16 10:22 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
It was always my intention to pass on this first round, but once the Vive was available at retail (PC World in the UK) my resistance collapsed.

In hindsight I have no regrets whatsoever. It's such a game changer that if a significantly better version comes out in the next twelve months I'll struggle to not upgrade.

#4294287 - 09/07/16 10:32 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: - Ice]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Just trying to get a feel here, so pardon the n00b question:
If you could "do over" but know what you know now, would you still have bought your Rift/Vive or would you wait for the next model instead?

I'd buy the Rift again without question. The chaperone system on the Vive is awesome but the sitting position of the Rift suits me better for the games I play (primarily racing/flight Sims)

I don't know if its the general concensus but many friends and work colleagues have said to me the Rift has a larger sweetspot and it tends to lend itself better to the tech demos rather than the current and available games. I haven't really got the real estate either for the Vive to do it justice to be honest.

#4294289 - 09/07/16 10:38 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Personally, I would buy now (absolutely no buyers remorse here). I could never go back to flying on a monitor now. BUT, and this might be a big issue for you Ice, if you are primarily a modern systems guy, ie lots of head down time working with MFD's and CDU's then you may initially find it frustrating. I have not flown the A10C much in VR for that reason (it's doable, but harder). I fly mostly with labels on until I get fairly close to a target. Target visibility is an issue if you are used to playing on a HD screen.

It shines with the older generation aircraft. ACM becomes almost physical as you are leaning around your chair to check six or keep a bandit in sight (it really makes you respect the guys who do this for real). The feeling of being in a real cockpit is amazing, but until you experience it for yourself you won't truly understand what it brings to the table in terms of immersion and the experience of being in a cramped cockpit.

If you like flying helicopters, well it's like night and day.

When buying any kind of "Tech" equipment, there is never really a good time to buy. The price will either drop, or the next version is just around the corner etc. The question is, how long are you prepared to wait?

Carl Sagan
#4294291 - 09/07/16 10:52 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: Paul Rix]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Grrr... yeah. I'm hoping I can hold out until the next version comes out, and frankly, I'm hoping this exercise will help me with that.

I'll be using this for flight and racing sims so the ability of the Vive to "move around" isn't really much of a plus. However, I'm hoping that the front-facing camera can give me some sort of AR experience alongside the VR so I can use my pit as well.

Personally, I would buy now (absolutely no buyers remorse here). I could never go back to flying on a monitor now. BUT, and this might be a big issue for you Ice, if you are primarily a modern systems guy, ie lots of head down time working with MFD's and CDU's then you may initially find it frustrating. I have not flown the A10C much in VR for that reason (it's doable, but harder). I fly mostly with labels on until I get fairly close to a target. Target visibility is an issue if you are used to playing on a HD screen.

It's not really the MFD or CDU display that is putting me off, but rather having to go back to using the mouse and holding my head steady to the the click. I know it's only a few seconds but sometimes, I don't have that few seconds. Having a pit with touchscreens and switches helps with that, but that will be rendered useless by VR. For things like WWI/WWII/Elite Dangerous, then VR will be a very no-nonsense upgrade.

I do know exactly what you say about ACM.... essentially, it'll be like an "enhanced" TrackIR with the benefit of being able to move your eyeballs naturally (unlike TIR where you turn your head but keep your eyeballs looking forward/front).

- Ice
#4294292 - 09/07/16 10:56 PM Re: My Oculus Experience [Re: CAVCPT]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I pretty much agree with both the above.

One reason I opted for the Vive is that I'm a speccy tw@t and was lead to believe it was better for glasses. I do contact lenses but didn't want to rely on them everytime I wanted to use VR.

As for the room scale thing, it wasn't something that appealed that much. However, having cleared a space in my living room and dragged the PC through (which wasn't as much hassle as I expected) the experience is actually even more impressive than seated simming stuff. Walking around on the edge of the demo mountain actually made my knees wobble.

Conclusion is obvious: Buy yourself a Rift and the family a Vive. smile

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.