Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4291793 - 08/30/16 12:17 PM Witcher or not?  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

I tried Witcher 3 awhile back but got it refunded because I hated the combat and required tutorials so I could not get into the story. Now GOG has game of the year edition with all dlc on sale for 50 bucks I might want to try it again.

For those that have it can the combat be simplified or is there a mod to make it more like the combat in Skyrim? I am also thinking of getting it and then downloading a 100 percent save game so I can eliminate all that complex combat.

I love the graphics and the idea of this game but way to old for complex keyboard combat moves.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4291795 - 08/30/16 12:19 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
IMHO, the story is more than half of the enjoyment of the Witcher saga. If the story didn't connect with you I would say to not bother getting the GOTY edition.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4291804 - 08/30/16 12:56 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Agreed... if you didn't like it, don't bother...

that said, I almost didn't play it through, the beginning was too slow and scripted... but now that I've played through it all, leaving no stone unturned, no mission incomplete, all the side missions, all the DLC... it took over, (replacing Longbow 2) as the greatest video game I ever played. And to think I almost didn't like it, and almost stopped before opening the next town.

#4291806 - 08/30/16 12:58 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I had the same experience as Magnum. I found the first Witcher game to be a very slow burn as far as story progression and I was a bit bored but about 10-15 hours into it I started to get immersed into the Witcher world and I've been hooked ever since. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4291809 - 08/30/16 01:06 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I used mouse and keyboard for moving around, and a controller for combat. No problem whatsoever. Switching in game is absolutely no problem as all, as the game recognized the device on the stroke of a key/ controller input. So both can be used simultaneously.

I am hard pressed to think of a game since the very first Deus Ex that gave me as much fun and entertainment as Witcher 3 with both story-DLCs.

That was money well spent.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4291817 - 08/30/16 02:01 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

The game is awesome, "but complex combat moves"? Spam medium attack and dodging...rinse-repeat. Or upgrade your Igni until you kinda go "Flame on!" and barbecue everything. If it does not burn, go back to attack/dodge.

I do use a controller, so that may be part of my spamming technique preference.

There are mods that make this waaayyy harder and complex, but I do not use mods (only texture mods though).

I am tempted to use this one on a future playthrough:

#4291821 - 08/30/16 02:09 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I used a keyboard and mouse only for the Witcher games and I never had a problem.

#4291849 - 08/30/16 03:09 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
hansundfranz Offline
hansundfranz  Offline

Germany
Combat is the weak part of the game. But with difficulty at easy, combat is really quite easy and the storytelling of the witcher is really brilliant. For me it is more an interactive movie then a game but it really good at that.

#4291861 - 08/30/16 03:35 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Crank the difficulty to hard (one above whatever normal was), I did for something of a challenge.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4291882 - 08/30/16 04:43 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

Does W3 take advantage of SLI? Skyrim doesn't and Fallout 4 doesn't but GTA 5 sure does and I hope the W3 series also will.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#4291884 - 08/30/16 04:49 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I never found the combat to be all that complex. It is pretty simple compared to other games. The combat in W3 is a lot better than W1 and W2 but still basic.

I dont know of any mods that change the basic combat?

#4291962 - 08/30/16 09:29 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

The Game of the Year Edition is on sale at GOG for 50 bucks and says it contains all 16 dlc's and both expansion packs. It also on Steam for the same price and has both expansion packs but not sure if it has all the dlc.

#4292004 - 08/31/16 12:59 AM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

I really enjoyed the Witcher games, but complex combat isn't something they do IMO.

I'm looking forward to the complete version of the combat system in Warhorse's Kingdom Come: Deliverance - the recent addition of poleweapons, open hand fighting, mounted combat and other items look really good, the base combat seen in the playable Beta code was closer to HEMA combat than anything else I've seen to date, and I still have hope that the final version might include some Harnessfechten as well as the Blossfechten styles.

#4292049 - 08/31/16 05:14 AM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I like the combat in Witcher 3. Once you get used to it, it really isn't that complicated at all compared to other games. Regular attack, strong attack, use signs, dodge, use bombs and potions. Enhance armor and weapons with runes and glyphs. The upgrade talent trees adds some nice meat to the combat as you can only use so many at once you can reconfigure to whatever elements is most agreeable to your play style or the way you like to approach combat. I play on Story and Sword and turn on the option for enemies leveling with you to make the human combat more challenging.

Its great, great series and definitely worth it in my opinion especially if you like story heavy games. To be honest you don't really need any mods. I try to shy away from them for this game because its near perfect but there are a few I like. The one's I use are simple too. I don't use these overhaul kind of mods people come up with as it cheapens a game that by and large can't get any better. If you want me to list what few mods I use just let me know.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4292063 - 08/31/16 07:11 AM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Warbirds
The Game of the Year Edition is on sale at GOG for 50 bucks and says it contains all 16 dlc's and both expansion packs. It also on Steam for the same price and has both expansion packs but not sure if it has all the dlc.

These 16 DLC were free from the beginning. Every edition of the game contains these 16 DLC.

#4292137 - 08/31/16 01:21 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Does W3 take advantage of SLI? Skyrim doesn't and Fallout 4 doesn't but GTA 5 sure does and I hope the W3 series also will.

Scaled very well for me with 780s. Ran it at 2560x1440 which certainly wouldn't have been possible on a single card.

#4292139 - 08/31/16 01:30 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Lieste]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Lieste
I really enjoyed the Witcher games, but complex combat isn't something they do IMO.

I'm looking forward to the complete version of the combat system in Warhorse's Kingdom Come: Deliverance - the recent addition of poleweapons, open hand fighting, mounted combat and other items look really good, the base combat seen in the playable Beta code was closer to HEMA combat than anything else I've seen to date, and I still have hope that the final version might include some Harnessfechten as well as the Blossfechten styles.

While the Kingdom Come's beta had damn fun combat, it's still not even close to the same thing. That's a walkie-around RPG, the Witcher series is basically playing through some good fantasy novels.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4293895 - 09/06/16 08:29 AM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Giving this a little bump because, unusual for myself, I'm currently a little pissed at GOG.

Early supporters who bought W3 and Expansion Pass (without even knowing what the Expansions would be like) still have base game 1.10 and a myriad patches for DLC and base to get a working install. The sensible and total logical thing would be to make the GOTY All-In-One installer available to those who own all DLC, because it is the same content in a neater package.

But no... we don't even have unified installers for the separate components yet and patch 1.30 for the game even gives an error.

So, suddenly I find myself resorting to the "usual sites" to find a better way to install the latest version. Come on GOG...

#4309727 - 11/07/16 02:27 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

GOY version now 30 bucks. Would I be better off just buying the main game for 20 and later getting the add on's or is is crucial to get all content at once?

#4309730 - 11/07/16 02:32 PM Re: Witcher or not? [Re: Warbirds]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
GOY version now 30 bucks. Would I be better off just buying the main game for 20 and later getting the add on's or is is crucial to get all content at once?
I would get all of the content at once since IMHO the two add-ons are really fantastic.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.