Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4291060 - 08/27/16 08:22 PM Returned pilot  
olddog Offline
olddog  Offline

england
Ok just returned to WOFF I started flying OFF in the start when it was free then to BHAH, HITR, WOFF1 WOFF2 then had a brake I got so the long flights were boring me so now I have WOFF3 but there is one thing that is bugging me I no longer see the and hear the cannon fire and clouds of smoke over no mans land there seems less vehicles on the roads less marching troops and tanks also gas clouds seem to have gone in WOFF3.

So I installed BHAH and HITR took a quick free flight headed to the front and there was the cannon fire clouds of smoke so is this taken out of WOFF3, I would like to add I have flown several campaigns from both sides and lot of QC and all the same no ground action well I have not seen a lot from the cockpit high up in the distance or down low.

Sorry to be one person with a negative view of WOFF3 ground action, one thing I must add the rest of WOFF3 is a big jump from OFF I will not go on as I will be preaching to the converted.

#4291064 - 08/27/16 08:40 PM Re: Returned pilot [Re: olddog]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
I see quite a bit...if we understand "ground action" the same.
Smoke, barrages, etc. Even got shot down once by a group of infantry in the fixed positions - I could see them after I crashed.

If you are talking about waves of men moving about at the front - and tanks - I try not to fly that low for the aforementioned reason!

Try to fly in a area and time of a known historical offensive.

#4291065 - 08/27/16 08:51 PM Re: Returned pilot [Re: olddog]  
zifnow Offline
zifnow  Offline

Uh... I remember playing some Red Baron 3D mod, I think it was called Western Front patch? It was a masterpiece for the time.

I remember when coming down with aircraft damaged an ambulance reached close to the place, the doppler effect on sounds when closing or departing from a point.

Waves of men, running in no man land. Didn't find much in WOFF but maybe because my details are not set on the max, I should try.

I think the available resources dictates rules here. Probably you'd prefer having a smoother flying experience than a wider ground details.

#4291066 - 08/27/16 08:57 PM Re: Returned pilot [Re: olddog]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Think I heard the "Effects" slider plays a role here too.
And the way some folks moan about FPS and "stutters" I would not be surprised if OBD dialed things back a bit.
Some think "CFS3...my computer can run that" forgetting that WOFF is about as akin to that old dog as I am to being Elvis.
Very much improved as I am sure you have noticed.

#4291068 - 08/27/16 09:06 PM Re: Returned pilot [Re: olddog]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
OldDog;

Let me chime in here and state that I do see explosions over the front and the amount varies with the period. When there is historical push going on, the action is increased. I see trains and traffic on roads as well. Now to your point, "Is it less than in previous releases?", That I cannot say as there are so many variables to the settings and the generated missions.

As has been stated above you can play with the sliders to see if that improves the activity or not but it just may impact FPS depending on the robustness of your system.

One thing I am inclined to agree with you on is that I have yet to notice ground gas clouds and maybe this was removed or I just haven't run into. Maybe other can confirm or deny this.

Best Regards;

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4291093 - 08/27/16 11:14 PM Re: Returned pilot [Re: olddog]  
olddog Offline
olddog  Offline

england
Thanks guys for the replies now please don't take this the wrong way but I see that you registered between 2009 and 2015 my self I registered in 2006 some ten years ago, now have you any one flown OFF (Over Flanders Fields).

I do see trains and some times lorries on the road in WOFF3 it's just not like it was in OFF I would have thought some ground crew on the airfields would have given something to the sim landing on a deserted airfield after a mission, perhaps I expect too much for my money well when one gets into there mid 70's you get like that and look for value with every penny.

My settings Graphics settings in workshop are

LEFT HAND FROM THE TOP 5/4/4/5/5
MIDDLE FROM THE TOP 3/3/1/9/8
RIGHT HAND FROM THE TOP 5/5/1

I have no stutters with these settings.

Thank you for your reply's.

Last edited by olddog; 08/27/16 11:15 PM.
#4291097 - 08/27/16 11:24 PM Re: Returned pilot [Re: olddog]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted By: olddog
Thanks guys for the replies now please don't take this the wrong way but I see that you registered between 2009 and 2015 my self I registered in 2006 some ten years ago, now have you any one flown OFF (Over Flanders Fields).

I do see trains and some times lorries on the road in WOFF3 it's just not like it was in OFF I would have thought some ground crew on the airfields would have given something to the sim landing on a deserted airfield after a mission, perhaps I expect too much for my money well when one gets into there mid 70's you get like that and look for value with every penny.

My settings Graphics settings in workshop are

LEFT HAND FROM THE TOP 5/4/4/5/5
MIDDLE FROM THE TOP 3/3/1/9/8
RIGHT HAND FROM THE TOP 5/5/1

I have no stutters with these settings.

Thank you for your reply's.

Hi Olddog check out the link ive posted here for the mod on this page for extra ground staff and much more.. Populated airfield mod

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4291166 - 08/28/16 07:25 AM Re: Returned pilot [Re: DukeIronHand]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand

And the way some folks moan about FPS and "stutters" I would not be surprised if OBD dialed things back a bit.
Some think "CFS3...my computer can run that" forgetting that WOFF is about as akin to that old dog as I am to being Elvis.
Very much improved as I am sure you have noticed.

Think you are right on that, all those extra activities needs more CPU power, while this game is single core, all that is concentrated one single heavily used core.

If compare to ROF-PWCG, I also see not that much activity on the front, besides explosions that are always on the same impact spot, like a flashing campfire. Luckily the trains and cars are still active. On the other hand, I prefer on what's in the air more then any activity on the ground, which in 90% I do not even notice, while flying high, to avoid the AA near the front line.

Last edited by dutch; 08/28/16 07:29 AM.
#4291512 - 08/29/16 04:30 PM Re: Returned pilot [Re: olddog]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

In the old OFF there was always full on attacks and bombardments, this is not how it was. When there is a mjor offensive going on in your region you will see troops, tanks (if date is late enough for tanks) advancing over NML and fighting. You will see much heavier barrages. It's in there just more realistic now.

WOFF has a far more extensive front action going , across miles and miles, more so than many other WW1 sims.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4291667 - 08/29/16 11:36 PM Re: Returned pilot [Re: olddog]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Awesome work OBD.
And yes Olddog I am am a OFF'er from way back - How long has it been? Don't remember...
Came to SimHQ when OBD left the CombatAce forums.

Frankly though I don't remember much about ground action in OFF? Perhaps old age.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans