Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4291021 - 08/27/16 05:50 PM Best nation/start date for a newbie?  
Mukai92 Offline
Mukai92  Offline

Hey guys, absolutely loving the game so far but a bit overwhelmed by the amount of choice. What nation/start date would you recommend for a newbie joining in? Thanks, Mukai

#4291023 - 08/27/16 05:59 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
rockmedic109 Offline
rockmedic109  Offline

California
Very early Fokker Scourge? When the only opponents are flying B.E. 2s? I don't know how hard it is to fly a Fokker.

Early Sopwith Pup. Very easy to fly. Very forgiving. Anemic firepower.

Early Albatross DIII maybe.

If you are having trouble with flying, I'd choose the Pup. If you are having trouble fighting, the Albatross with two guns when the allies only have one is nice.

It is easy to be overwhelmed in the beginning. Give it just a little time and you get used to it quickly.

#4291025 - 08/27/16 06:06 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
zifnow Offline
zifnow  Offline

Hello!

Pick a date where your nation retain some advantage.

You can try can try to start a german campaign in March 1917, on the verge of Bloody April.

Or if you want to play ally side, I'd go with the end of Fokker Scourge, let's say around October 1915.

Anyway, the best way for a newbie to start, is avoid combat until you get confident with your plane and skill biggrin

#4291026 - 08/27/16 06:06 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
I would also consider a two seater, try the MS-parasol or the Fee pusher.

#4291037 - 08/27/16 06:40 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
Mukai92 Offline
Mukai92  Offline

Hey thanks for the quick replies guys.Might give the sopwith pup a fly, always loved that thing smile

Another question before i set out, I've an x-52 joystick that I'm trying to map. What do you think are the crucial controls for mapping?

#4291039 - 08/27/16 06:52 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Mukai92
Hey thanks for the quick replies guys.Might give the sopwith pup a fly, always loved that thing smile

Another question before i set out, I've an x-52 joystick that I'm trying to map. What do you think are the crucial controls for mapping?

Pup is my favorite plane sir. Watch yourself in a dive because you can tear up the wings and get close before you fire because you only have one gun so you want to do maximum damage with your minimal ammo. Once you run out of ammo, you're just a flying target. That said, if a pup is well flown it is an exceptionally dangerous opponent IMHO.

Map Throttle, guns, engine blip, pilot zoom (if you use that) and Time Compression Increase & Decrease (if you use them)

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4291041 - 08/27/16 07:11 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Hellshade]  
Mukai92 Offline
Mukai92  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hellshade

Pup is my favorite plane sir. Watch yourself in a dive because you can tear up the wings and get close before you fire because you only have one gun so you want to do maximum damage with your minimal ammo. Once you run out of ammo, you're just a flying target. That said, if a pup is well flown it is an exceptionally dangerous opponent IMHO.

Map Throttle, guns, engine blip, pilot zoom (if you use that) and Time Compression Increase & Decrease (if you use them)

Yeah ever since Rise of Flight I can't get enough of the Pup! smile I'll bear that in mind, i hear wings are important for fighting wink

Is pilot zoom the same as zoom to sights? Because I'm using TrackIR and I'm finding it difficult to move my head to 'aim down sights' so a key to snap to them would be very very helpful!

#4291045 - 08/27/16 07:26 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: zifnow]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Originally Posted By: zifnow
Hello!

Pick a date where your nation retain some advantage.

You can try can try to start a german campaign in March 1917, on the verge of Bloody April.

Or if you want to play ally side, I'd go with the end of Fokker Scourge, let's say around October 1915.

Anyway, the best way for a newbie to start, is avoid combat until you get confident with your plane and skill biggrin

...I think that's the beginning of the Fokker Scourge... the end was late summer of 1916.

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4291051 - 08/27/16 07:45 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well. If you think you are going to be advantaged in March 1917 with the Alb you may want to get some practice in first.
The Alb DIII (Early) was given its testicles back a couple of patches ago (and flies much better! Thanks OBD) but the Nieuport can be quite tricky - especially when (or if) you are outnumbered.

Seems like the Nieuports are thick as flies when I fly in that time period with J11. Maybe pick a Jasta farther north away from the overly adventerous French. They seem to range much wider in the Campaign mode then they did historically.

#4291070 - 08/27/16 09:11 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
Robert_Wiggins Online smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Online Smile
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Gee, I was going to add my 5 cents worth biggrin (here in Canada they took our 1 cent out of circulation) but I see everyone else has pretty much covered it all!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4291078 - 08/27/16 10:13 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
No more Canadian pennies?
I live fairly close to the border and we see Canadian money all the time...coins that is.
Funny the subject came up I was just told yesterday by some woman that Canadian bills are now "plastic"?

#4291104 - 08/27/16 11:59 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Robert_Wiggins Online smile
Robert_Wiggins  Online Smile
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
No more Canadian pennies?
I live fairly close to the border and we see Canadian money all the time...coins that is.
Funny the subject came up I was just told yesterday by some woman that Canadian bills are now "plastic"?

Yes and god awful it is Sir! It is supposed to be almost indestructible and last longer so says our government! Now here is the real truth.

The negatives:
1) It can be torn easily by snapping the bill and it usually tears on the diagonal.
2) If you fail to remove them from your pocket and the wife puts your clothes in the washer and dryer, the bills will melt!
3) The bills do not fold easily and when put down they tend to pop open and stay flat.
4) If you are persistent and make a good fold in them they will not straighten out and handling is rather troublesome
5) They have an extra smooth surface and tend to stick together so it is very easy to mistakenly hand two bill out by mistake.
6) If they are loosely put into your pocket they tend to be accidentally removed every time you put your hand in your pocket and remove it.

The positives:
1) They look pretty
2) They are supposedly hard to counterfeit.

I say, "GIVE ME BACK THE OLD PAPER MONEY!!!!!!"

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 08/28/16 12:01 AM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4291294 - 08/28/16 09:51 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
Mukai92 Offline
Mukai92  Offline

Thanks for the advice guys smile
Regarding the aiming, do ye reccomend to move my head with the trackir (feels a little difficult atm)? Or to just use pilot focus(aim down sights button F6)?

#4291359 - 08/29/16 04:19 AM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Mukai92, use QC,and try every thing you can think of. Learn the ways of your plane.
Flight test each plane, stall speed, 360 turn time, spin recovery, rate of climb. and so on.
Feel the edge between stall and a increasing rate of turn to get within a shooting position.
Start one on one in QC and work your way up to 4 "Aces". It can be done!

And welcome to the world of WOFF -- Good people an a great Sim!

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4291680 - 08/30/16 12:14 AM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Thanks for the advice guys smile
Regarding the aiming, do ye reccomend to move my head with the trackir (feels a little difficult atm)? Or to just use pilot focus(aim down sights button F6)?

That's a personal preference thing.
I have tried both for a long while and tend to use both about evenly. Maybe F6 a bit more.
They both have pros and cons but ultimately achieve the same thing - accurate shooting.
Guess the more "real" way would be to crank your head down with the TrackIR I reckon.
Now that I say that I should use it exclusively myself!

#4292027 - 08/31/16 02:39 AM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Hi Mukai!

Unless you have a particular love for that era, I would stay the **** away from 1915 until you're more comfortable. The airplanes during that era are just too finicky too slow, poor maneuverability, stalls easily, and everything you'd expect of people trying to get used to a new technology.

The aircraft in 1918 are easiest to fly, and some have enough horsepower to almost make me think of the Interwar planes, but the problem is the sky is very crowded. You can be minding your own business when 5 German triplanes decide to Fokk up your day. (See what I did there?)

Late 1916 through 1917 are your best bet in my opinion: Decent aircraft, and the skies don't quite remind one of a rugby scrum. Others have given excellent advice: The Sopwith Pup is a great plane, as are the Albatross D.III - V series. The Sop. Camel can be reasoned with, but she has a temper. The tripes (Sopwith and Fokker Dr.I) are fun turn fighters, just don't get carried away.

When I want to test a new fighter (or don't want to bother with the campaign) I'll also use the quick combat and set up a few head-to-head matches. Note you'll need an active pilot on whichever side you're going to fight for, but the results won't count unless you set that up in the workshop.

Sometimes the best way to learn how to work with an airplane is to fight AGAINST it. Take a plane from the other side, set up a match, put the AI pilot on 'Veteran' or 'Elite', and let the game show you what it can do. That's how I broke out of the habit of flying like an old maid after the 1915 aircraft scared me out of anything more adventurous than lazy turns.

Regarding your pilot focus question - for me it depends on the AC. There's often enough tracer fire that, even without sighting carefully, you can 'walk' your bullets into the enemy. Some airplanes like the Albatri have something in the middle you can sight along. Others, like the Bristol Scout with its gun at a 45 degree angle, I'll use the F6. I'll use my TrackIR for subtle head shifts to help aim, but I just don't have the agility or desire to crane my neck every which way for the sake of realism.

#4292921 - 09/02/16 10:16 AM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
Mukai92 Offline
Mukai92  Offline

Thanks again for all the help guys. Just one last question, what UI options do you recommend? I am using nothing at the moment (occasionally I use the TAC to help stay in formation)

Also I don't have much time to play this game as i would like with work and that, is there a way to make missions a little quicker? Do you normally manually fly the mission yourselfs all the way?

#4292940 - 09/02/16 11:40 AM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
I use no aids also and it adds much to the game. One big "cheat" of mine for the purists is my use of the in-game map.

In regards to speeding up missions -like you not having all the time in the world to fly - I do 3 things:
1) Turn on the TAC. Usually set to just "Aircraft" or "All" depending on what I am up to.
2) Turn on AutoPiliot.
3) Use the Time Compression feature after switching your viewpoint to the bottom of the plane looking skyward - helps FPS in TC mightily.

As you quickly zip up to the front I keep an eye the TAC for unidentified aircraft and drop out or drop out of time compression near the front.
Once near the front hide the TAC and you are all set - in formation and ready for combat with the old "Mk 1 Eyeball."
I also do this, at times, for the long trip back to RFC bases after the mission is over - it's a long distance sometimes.

I will admit to leaving it on Autopilot at times, even at the front, but at no time compression so I can enjoy the beautiful view and scan the skies.
Also will admit to sometimes using the TAC after a furball to see the line to join back up to the flight - not a cheat for me as a "meet up" point when separated was a standard item in patrol orders and one we lack in WOFF. Turn it on, get a direction, and turn it off.

#4292945 - 09/02/16 12:05 PM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Mumbai, in workshop you can set mission or target to "always closest". I am not at my computer right now but something of that sort. This will make all of your missions going to the closest target and you won't get get those long ones. Good feature if you want to do a quick campaign mission.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4293172 - 09/03/16 12:42 AM Re: Best nation/start date for a newbie? [Re: Mukai92]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Mukai92, like you time is a precious commodity and so the only aids I use are time compression and autopilot. I turn both off when I get a couple of miles from the front and then I fly the mission manually without any aids. Be sure to remember that WOFF is like ice cream, you can eat it with all of the toppings, or some of the toppings, or none at all. It's your sim, fly it how you want.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse