Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
#4289163 - 08/21/16 03:12 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: Chucky]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Originally Posted By: Chucky
To me it's a game that simulates flying an aircraft.It can't be 100% realistic and we shouldn't expect that simulation to mirror the RL aircraft for $39.99. That's my opinion anyway.

If this was a multi-million dollar simulator to train real pilots then yes,it needs to be as accurate as possible.

When I look back over the years at the flight sim community and how they react to what they are given,the massive arguments,the fallout etc,I can't see why anyone would want to keep developing these games for us,I really don't.

My thoughts exactly Chucky. People take the hobby far too seriously at times.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4289178 - 08/21/16 04:36 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
eonel Offline
eonel  Offline

Zurich, Switzerland
Originally Posted By: David_Pytha

Wow, where were you hiding in the last thread?

You'll find passion runs deep & nothing changes. Is probably best to leave internet arguments to blow themselves out - there will be a different subject right around the corner.

Sit back & look forward to the AIM-54 is under overmodelled argument. & how FM engine changes to support the Phoenix have borked the AMRAAM

Last edited by eonel; 08/21/16 04:51 PM.
#4289228 - 08/21/16 10:09 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: eonel]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
How accurate is accurate enough?

Sure, we can aim for 100%. Sure, it's unreasonable to expect 100%. Sure, it's fun enough to sit at 96% or 98% or whatever number you want to come up with.

The problem here is that a fault has been pointed out... by reputable forum members... with evidence... and even some RL pilots weighing in (from what I understood). Then DCS turns around and says it doesn't need fixing. The problem here is that a gap in accuracy has been pointed out, evidence given, and DCS chooses to make excuses or ignore the problem completely.

Will it be a noticeable effect? Not for the majority of users. Will it change anything? Again, not for the majority of users. But that's not the point. This small example is one of many, many instances where DCS has been shown gaps or bugs or problems and has chosen to ignore community help and feedback. You don't have to look far to find threads about problems with existing modules that have been around for a good while now and the problems have still not been addressed. What makes it even worse is that DCS then turns around and bans those community members.

Daz and myself and others have been saying for a long time now that DCS is spreading itself too thin. So many modules, 3rd party, etc. and they don't know if they're coming or going. At their current pace, their code will be "old" by the time they're done with it, then we're probably looking at DCS 3.0 which will take another 5-10 years.

I also doubt that DCS/ED will read this thread and acknowledge their shortcomings. They don't do it on their home turf, what makes you think they'll do it on foreign ground? Sure, you can hope for the best, but I won't be holding my breath if I were you.

You mentioned F-14 and F-18.... if DCS knew what they were doing, we'll be further along with these two modules than we currently are. Heck, if they want all the moneys, why is LN doing the F-14 and not DCS themselves? I remember shortly after DCS A10C came out, speculation arose about the next DCS module... how long ago was that? In the meantime, between A10C release and today, how many other DCS modules have been released or "in the works"? How many times have DCS been "distracted"? Again, this simply shows evidence of lack of planning and vision within the organization.

Originally Posted By: eonel
Flight sims always attract a lot of "attention to detail" & other passionate commentary. It is part of what makes it a great community and a place where I learn new things every day. But there needs to be a balance of respect between developers & community & too often both parties fall short of this.

I agree, but in this example, devs have dropped the ball more often.... then walk around acting as if nothing happened. Then ban you for calling them out on it.

Developers need to recognise the passion, embrace open discussion + implement changes to address negative feedback. But they should also not allow attention to detail to distract from the bigger goals of expanding the sim and making a profit. Without a viable business there will be no flight sims & we will all be poorer.

Fair point. Let's expand the sim into WWII.... but let's not give them a theatre to fly in or ground assets to fly against. Let's make a sim, leave it half-done, then ban the people who show us our mistakes and gaps. Let's sell campaigns, then break it as soon as we patch the game.

Community members need to contain their passion - to avoid being so negative & repetitive that it puts new members off buying the sim & joining the community.

Community members are in no obligation to contain their passion. A smart company will find a way to tap into this and profit. Would you buy a 98% complete Gazelle or a 60% complete Apache? Would you buy a 98% complete Mirage or a 80% complete Tomcat? So no, community members are justified in their passion.

Constructive comments and fair points are made about the sim all the time. Negativity and repetitiveness goes to ED/DCS because there is nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.

ED "utter ineptitude & incompetence" did not deliver the greatest modern jet flight sim we have today. No-one should lose perspective on this.

Hahahahaha!!! "Greatest modern jet flight sim"?!!? I think you're confused.... or only have a very narrow experience with regards to flight sims. Think of it this way --- if ED did not have the "utter ineptitude & incompetence," we **WOULD** have the greatest modern jet fight sim. But ED **IS** inept and incompetent, and that's why we are where we are.

Apologies for singling out eonel's post like this, but I just can't stand it when people go all the way out the other extreme and make it like ED/DCS is God's gift to the simulation world, or that we should be grateful that they're doing this for us because there's "nobody else out there." They aren't God's gift.... they could be close, but they choose to adopt their attitude/policy and just continue to shoot themselves in the foot each and every time. They also aren't the only ones "out there," and frankly, the other group makes THIS group of "professionals" look like bumbling idiots.

- Ice
#4289232 - 08/21/16 10:33 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
How many man hours would you consider justifiable to fix this problem Ice? A problem that really isn't going to amount to a significant change in the performance of the flight model. A problem that the vast majority of even the hardcore players didn't notice until it was brought up by people who only know because they happen to work on the airplane. Another thing to consider is that if they delve into the code to fix this, what is the likelyhood of something else in the engine model becoming nerfed ?

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4289236 - 08/21/16 10:51 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
David_OC Offline
(OC) Pythagoras
David_OC  Offline
(OC) Pythagoras

Australia
Yo-Yo cannot play around with the FM without (absolute data) otherwise the FM may even get worse until he may find a balance? How long flying blind would this take? I can only imagine.(Years)

Yo-Yo is into mathematical perfection with everything he does, if he could get anything 100/100 or a better way to say it (More In range) I believe he would try, but he needs more detailed information which is not available. (Thread closed)

I see where they are trying to get to and they are so close. It's been a bumpy road yes, I'm quite surprised it wasn't a lot worst with more modules breaking along the way. I'm OK with this as I see where they are going...

ED Pickup the pieces for ww2, it was a very nice thing for ED to do and try and fix it. Perhaps they shouldn't have now? and not put so much pressure on themselves. Build ww2 aircraft and new maps etc.

Last edited by David_Pytha; 08/21/16 11:02 PM.
#4289238 - 08/21/16 10:56 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: Paul Rix]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
How many man hours would you consider justifiable to fix this problem Ice? A problem that really isn't going to amount to a significant change in the performance of the flight model. A problem that the vast majority of even the hardcore players didn't notice until it was brought up by people who only know because they happen to work on the airplane.

Not even that. Just admit that the "problem" does not justify the man hours needed to fix it, blah blah blah, done. But no. Let's ban the members instead.

Again, sure, maybe **THIS** problem does not justify the work needed to fix it, but what about other problems in other modules? Oh, yeah, they don't justify the work needed to fix those either because they've already sold the modules.

Stop looking at this as "just a problem with the engine code for the A10C" and start looking at the bigger picture and ED/DCS's history regarding problems/bugs/gaps with their game engine and modules.

Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
Another thing to consider is that if they delve into the code to fix this, what is the likelyhood of something else in the engine model becoming nerfed ?

Not to worry about that at all, Paul. They break enough things when they patch the game, what's so special about this one then? biggrin

- Ice
#4289239 - 08/21/16 11:03 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Yo-Yo cannot play around with the FM without (absolute data) otherwise the FM may even get worse until he may find a balance? How long flying blind would this take? I can only imagine.(Years)

Yo-Yo is into mathematical perfection with everything he does, if he could get anything 100/100 or a better way to say it (More In range) I believe he would try, but he needs more detailed information which is not available.

So what exactly is "absolute data"? If you have acquired data on a topic, act on it, then along comes a person who tells you the data is wrong and gives evidence for it, why do you insist on sticking to your old "absolute data" which has been shown to be in error? What is in the "absolute data" that trumps real-world experience of people working with the hardware NOW?

If Yo-Yo is professional enough and mature enough as you make out in your second paragraph, would he not be in close contact with the people who are on the ground and play with the hardware on a day-to-day basis? Would he not be actively out searching for the most detailed, up-to-date information possible? But no, let's ban the members instead.

ED Pickup the pieces for ww2, it was a very nice thing for ED to do and try and fix it. Perhaps they shouldn't have now? and not put so much pressure on them selves.

Sure, it may have been a very nice thing for ED to do, but that has absolutely no bearing on this discussion at all. Whether they should or shouldn't have, whether it put more pressure on them or didn't, we can't really tell as none of us are privvy to the the inner workings of ED. We can only speculate based on the end results we see, which still doesn't put them in good light.

- Ice
#4289243 - 08/21/16 11:17 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
David_OC Offline
(OC) Pythagoras
David_OC  Offline
(OC) Pythagoras

Australia
The thread was a waste of time for Yo-Yo to get involved in because of the drama unfolding, he is working on my F18 leave him alone. lol

The information he potentially needed could not be shared by said people without getting them into trouble.

Last edited by David_Pytha; 08/21/16 11:18 PM.
#4289264 - 08/22/16 01:00 AM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: - Ice]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted By: - Ice

Sure, we can aim for 100%. Sure, it's unreasonable to expect 100%. Sure, it's fun enough to sit at 96% or 98% or whatever number you want to come up with.

The problem here is that a fault has been pointed out... by reputable forum members... with evidence... and even some RL pilots weighing in (from what I understood). Then DCS turns around and says it doesn't need fixing. The problem here is that a gap in accuracy has been pointed out, evidence given, and DCS chooses to make excuses or ignore the problem completely.

Will it be a noticeable effect? Not for the majority of users. Will it change anything? Again, not for the majority of users. But that's not the point. This small example is one of many, many instances where DCS has been shown gaps or bugs or problems and has chosen to ignore community help and feedback. You don't have to look far to find threads about problems with existing modules that have been around for a good while now and the problems have still not been addressed. What makes it even worse is that DCS then turns around and bans those community members.

Daz and myself and others have been saying for a long time now that DCS is spreading itself too thin. So many modules, 3rd party, etc. and they don't know if they're coming or going. At their current pace, their code will be "old" by the time they're done with it, then we're probably looking at DCS 3.0 which will take another 5-10 years.

I also doubt that DCS/ED will read this thread and acknowledge their shortcomings. They don't do it on their home turf, what makes you think they'll do it on foreign ground? Sure, you can hope for the best, but I won't be holding my breath if I were you.

You mentioned F-14 and F-18.... if DCS knew what they were doing, we'll be further along with these two modules than we currently are. Heck, if they want all the moneys, why is LN doing the F-14 and not DCS themselves? I remember shortly after DCS A10C came out, speculation arose about the next DCS module... how long ago was that? In the meantime, between A10C release and today, how many other DCS modules have been released or "in the works"? How many times have DCS been "distracted"? Again, this simply shows evidence of lack of planning and vision within the organization.

Flight sims always attract a lot of "attention to detail" & other passionate commentary. It is part of what makes it a great community and a place where I learn new things every day. But there needs to be a balance of respect between developers & community & too often both parties fall short of this.

I agree, but in this example, devs have dropped the ball more often.... then walk around acting as if nothing happened. Then ban you for calling them out on it.

Developers need to recognise the passion, embrace open discussion + implement changes to address negative feedback. But they should also not allow attention to detail to distract from the bigger goals of expanding the sim and making a profit. Without a viable business there will be no flight sims & we will all be poorer.

Fair point. Let's expand the sim into WWII.... but let's not give them a theatre to fly in or ground assets to fly against. Let's make a sim, leave it half-done, then ban the people who show us our mistakes and gaps. Let's sell campaigns, then break it as soon as we patch the game.

Community members need to contain their passion - to avoid being so negative & repetitive that it puts new members off buying the sim & joining the community.

Community members are in no obligation to contain their passion. A smart company will find a way to tap into this and profit. Would you buy a 98% complete Gazelle or a 60% complete Apache? Would you buy a 98% complete Mirage or a 80% complete Tomcat? So no, community members are justified in their passion.

Constructive comments and fair points are made about the sim all the time. Negativity and repetitiveness goes to ED/DCS because there is nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.

ED "utter ineptitude & incompetence" did not deliver the greatest modern jet flight sim we have today. No-one should lose perspective on this.

Hahahahaha!!! "Greatest modern jet flight sim"?!!? I think you're confused.... or only have a very narrow experience with regards to flight sims. Think of it this way --- if ED did not have the "utter ineptitude & incompetence," we **WOULD** have the greatest modern jet fight sim. But ED **IS** inept and incompetent, and that's why we are where we are.

Apologies for singling out eonel's post like this, but I just can't stand it when people go all the way out the other extreme and make it like ED/DCS is God's gift to the simulation world, or that we should be grateful that they're doing this for us because there's "nobody else out there." They aren't God's gift.... they could be close, but they choose to adopt their attitude/policy and just continue to shoot themselves in the foot each and every time. They also aren't the only ones "out there," and frankly, the other group makes THIS group of "professionals" look like bumbling idiots.

Great post.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4289276 - 08/22/16 02:20 AM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
David_OC Offline
(OC) Pythagoras
David_OC  Offline
(OC) Pythagoras

Australia
Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd
Originally Posted By: - Ice

Great post.

Interesting that Ice had nothing to say about what Troll the IRL Pilot thought about all this....

Last edited by David_Pytha; 08/22/16 02:21 AM.
#4289291 - 08/22/16 03:52 AM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

As a genuine answer accurate enough is when I can fly a mission in DCS without thinking "I wish this F#@$(%'n thing worked like the real airplane." A lot of modules (and the underlying game itself) have problems that prevent me from accomplishing tasks in flight that I would otherwise be able to do.

What sounds like purely academic trivia to most people is stuff I actually (want to) use. I want to type in west longitudes in the Ka-50 and use VOR navigation in the Huey and so on. Successful missions can hang on little details and features working properly.

#4289295 - 08/22/16 04:15 AM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
David_OC Offline
(OC) Pythagoras
David_OC  Offline
(OC) Pythagoras

Australia
Completely understand your frustration Frederf, as this has happened to all of us at some point. I know in the back of my mind their is a lot of stuff ED is changing all the time at the moment to get things right for the future.

I.E Combine 3 Simulators, still mind boggling with all those connections between them. It's no excuse for ED but I do realize and hope its more smooth down the track when things settle down.

I was watching the last update just to see how much gets download and or swapped between the beta. Like I said mind boggling interconnections going on here. That's what I see anyway.

I'm hoping to see more of the small main items fix once this merge is sorted out.

Edit: Side note I have all the sim such as x-plane etc, I still rather fly around in DCS even if just doing touch and go's for hours in the BF 109. To me DCS still has the best flight model in any sim. Just my opinion tho.

Last edited by David_Pytha; 08/22/16 04:33 AM.
#4289323 - 08/22/16 09:06 AM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
Noodle Offline
Noodle  Offline

The military version of the A-10C Desktop Simulator (DTS) was commissioned by and delivered to the Air National Guard (ANG) as an avionics trainer for pilots transitioning from the A-10A (or A-10A+) to the A-10C. Yo-Yo and Wags both commented at the time how the derivative development into a commercial entertainment title required significant effort, primarily because more in-depth systems modeling was required in order to meet their own standard for DCS products.

I see contradicting arguments here. On one hand, the OP titled the thread, "how accurate is enough", implying that some things just aren't important, and only an engineer would know the difference anyway. On the other hand, the OP says that ED programmers are perfectionists, and thus reams of engineering data are required in order to justify any change to current behavior. So which is it?

From Yo-Yo's responses in both the Engine Performance thread and the Hydraulic Pressure thread, it is obvious there is a significant amount of simulation of the individual systems occurring behind the scenes. He talks of variable displacement pumps with specific output pressures at specific RPM which interact with accumulators which are affected by system demand as various hydraulic consumers are operated. It's not just some scalar value in a .lua file somewhere.

So discussing with the developers the specifics of hydraulic pressure bleed-off rates, or the (in)ability of an engine to attain rated ITT is absolutely an appropriate activity. They themselves set the bar very high. If you had any idea of the scope and specificity of conversations I had with Oleg ("Olgerd" the ED avionics programmer) during A-10C beta testing, your head would spin. ED is perfectly capable of producing the most detailed and accurate systems modeling of any sim anywhere. Which is why its such a frustrating exercise to try and communicate information to them now, especially through the filters that now exist.

So, while the OP may think that it's silly to talk about something like ITT; and other pilots correctly point out that even level-D sims are sometimes blatantly incorrect in some parts of the flight envelope; and casual observers may think I'm a dickhead for my persistence, the fact remains that both the knowledge, means and opportunity exist to fix these issues. The only question is whether or not the intent/desire exists.

As stated before, if development has moved on to other projects, that's fine. An acknowledgement of the issue and a statement that priorities lie elsewhere would be an acceptable, albeit disappointing, outcome. The problem is that the default posture is to attack and marginalize as opposed to, say, include and foster. That's the real reason for both the existence and the intensity of threads like the one referenced by the OP. It doesn't have to be that way.

The fact is, some current behaviors in the DCS A-10C cause an inability to properly interact with systems that are actually fully modeled by ED. Unfortunately they're just modeled with a few inaccurate data points which cause tangible differences in the way we operate the airplane compared to the way T.O. 1A-10C-1 says it operates; and the way T.O. 1A-10C-1-1 says it performs; and the way AFTTP 3-3.A-10 says you should operate it; and the way AFI 11-2A-10C Vol 3 says you're required to operate it. This is not an opinion. It's verifiable, even with publically available documents.

Opinion only comes into play when I express my view that these errors are important - from a pilot's perspective - because they have a significant impact on the accurate operation of aircraft. If it's your opinion that hydraulic systems which function properly despite a failed engine driven pump is acceptable, that's fine. However, some of us don't feel that way.

Considering I've personally had discussions with the developers in the past regarding the mechanics of the IFFCC Real-Time Safe Escape (RTSE) cues, Minimum Range Staple (MRS), and Desired Release Cue (DRC) among scores of other topics, I reject the idea that simple things like basic engine and hydraulic behavior are taboo topics that stretch plausibility.

#4289326 - 08/22/16 10:29 AM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
David_OC Offline
(OC) Pythagoras
David_OC  Offline
(OC) Pythagoras

Australia
Noodle,

You know I do understand and even like it to some extent your dedication and passion about this right, so you are able to use your holy bible the "T.O. 1A-10C-1-1" for everything in the A10 on your pc at home by the book. This is one groups perception of what the A10 needs fixing now because they love there procedures and do it by the book.
Now I see it's not only just this groups perception.

Realize that ED has to draw some sort of line in the sand here to move forward. This is a merry go round, you know yourself the data Yo-Yo would need before thinking about opening and touching the FM on the A10 to perhaps make it even worse.

I think Yo-Yo would have a go at it if he had a few more pieces of the puzzle to look at. Seems to me you can only tell him about the puzzle pieces but you cannot show him without getting into trouble yourself.

Do I need all the systems to be perfect on the A10 to enjoy ED's remarkable A10. No I do not.

From what I have seen here it doesn't have to be, because it doesn't exist.

Originally Posted By: Chucky
When I look back over the years at the flight sim community and how they react to what they are given,the massive arguments,the fallout etc,I can't see why anyone would want to keep developing these games for us,I really don't.

I will add that I really hope this thread may even help change the communication between the developer and the sim community.

Last edited by David_Pytha; 08/22/16 12:58 PM.
#4289357 - 08/22/16 12:49 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
nadal Offline
nadal  Offline

Well, there are tons of way to enjoy flightsim. Following realistic procedure is one of them.

Extreme example but you can takeoff from runway without any tower allowance or even take off from taxiway and that's fine but that is not realistic. Some people respect real procedures because of immersion.

Of course there is always limitation, we have to accept it and sometimes we have to adapt to the quirk, this is computer game in the end.
However that doesnt mean you cant desire for "better simulation game".
You can CAS no problem but DCS A-10C might have a capability to fire R-77. who is going to draw line?

#4289379 - 08/22/16 02:04 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I'm less concerned with it being right according to some document than it feeling right.

Watch footage of A-10s doing maneuvers in exercises. Lots of talk from its pilots about how tight it can turn, how agile it is at low level and low speeds...

Then I try and do that in DCS. Seems to take 10 minutes of level flight or a dive from altitude to get up the airspeed to make a single sharp turn, then after that the speed has bled off to the extent that any further turns are at the edge of stall and risk departure or require you to level out and wait another 5 minutes to get the speed back. At max thrust, and even then you have less acceleration than a truck going uphill. The very notion of flying the A-10 around at 100% from the time you start your takeoff roll till you're readying to land is ridiculous, obviously the real pilots don't do that...yet you have to in DCS just to maintain enough forward motion to be able to evade an incoming shot.

Is this because of some issue with the ITT? Is it a symptom of a different issue, perhaps hidden deeper?

I don't know. Honestly, I don't care what the problem is. All I know is I have to fly the A-10 more like a Cessna with gentle banks and turns and constant monitoring of speed or I'll fall out of the sky in an instant.
The sim is underpowered, whatever the numbers may say. I enjoy the flight more in Strike Fighters' A-10, where it's just as slow but somehow has better acceleration, less speed bleeding off in turns, and actually feels like I'm flying a threat to ground targets and not just a wallowing target for ground guns. frown

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4289388 - 08/22/16 02:33 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: Jedi Master]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Is this because of some issue with the ITT? Is it a symptom of a different issue, perhaps hidden deeper?

Usually it ends up being an issue with expectations and flying technique.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 08/22/16 02:33 PM.

--
44th VFW
#4289419 - 08/22/16 03:12 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: GrayGhost]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

Usually it ends up being an issue with expectations and flying technique.

#4289487 - 08/22/16 06:24 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: David_OC]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

If you give the family minivan to a racing driver, the car turns out to be faster than you thought. I won't say that is the entirety of the difference as I am too ignorant on the subject. This is why analysis has to be quantitative. Gut feeling impressions are too fallible.

I'm not seeing the magical third option when it comes to inaccuracies being discussed. There seems to be a dichotomy setup between "it's perfect" and "work on it forever" which is turning a blind eye to the elephant in the room: admitting imperfection. Respect from 99 accomplishments disappears if one goes petulant in the face of the 100th being discovered a mistake. I don't have a strong impression either way from ED directly but the various concentric fan and moderator circles have an ugly worship of the series as if it defines reality instead of approximates it. Most of it is just because DCS is the only data point they have, if the sim is this way then how else could it be?

It's hard to compliment a narcissist. ED do some amazing things and I'm a little resentful that I feel more obliged to temper the rapid "can do no wrong" vibe which takes time away from the compliments I want to express. But it's drowned out by a noise not hampered by more objectivity. I hope when I do compliment things that it means a little more because they don't come so perfunctorily.

#4289507 - 08/22/16 07:06 PM Re: How accurate is accurate enough outside of a NASA simulation [Re: Noodle]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Originally Posted By: Noodle

The fact is, some current behaviors in the DCS A-10C cause an inability to properly interact with systems that are actually fully modeled by ED. Unfortunately they're just modeled with a few inaccurate data points which cause tangible differences in the way we operate the airplane compared to the way T.O. 1A-10C-1 says it operates; and the way T.O. 1A-10C-1-1 says it performs; and the way AFTTP 3-3.A-10 says you should operate it; and the way AFI 11-2A-10C Vol 3 says you're required to operate it. This is not an opinion. It's verifiable, even with publically available documents.

Do any of these documents include a table of flow vs. pressure vs. RPM (ideally vs. commanded flow) of the hydraulic pumps? I'm quite sure that if you hand ED such a table, they'd be happy to incorporate it.

I don't think that Yo-Yo is ignorant of the contradiction between the hydro emergency behaviour of the DCS Hog and the real thing. It's just that he's saying that he can't improve his model without the hard data.

Last edited by Sobek; 08/22/16 07:08 PM.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.