Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4289020 - 08/20/16 09:48 PM So I got an idea for an FPS mod and........  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
I watch too many episodes of forgotten weapons on YOU are a toob. And I am currently missing old school well balanced realistic sort of FPS's. And I have this sort of idea that's been floating in my head. But before I get serious and try and find a game and engine to screw around in I want to bounce around concepts with guys on here. Oh and I want to fine a place to use some of my old vehicle models.

But the idea is really to maybe try something that is not overly ambitious and doable in a realistic time frame but something that could grow. Like you know, old types of mods before the era of the epic total conversion that takes like 5 years to make. And like I said, I have been watching to many episodes of Forgotten weapons and have gotten tired of m4 this and AK that in everything.

So just using realistic "forgotten" weapons of late 40's and 50's. Like

And FN-49. Never seen that in a game and its a nice rifle.

An FN-model D. The best BAR...

Something like Carl Gustov m45 SMG

etc etc... And a browning hi power just because I like it to much. Perhaps some ww2 left overs. De Lisle carbine comes to mind.

You know realistic weapons you can not used for the past 25 years in games aiming at a realistic sort of balance.

But basically being a small mod perhaps in like, Arma 3. But people expect massive amounts of stuff from square one. So more inclined to something like Rising storm 2 that will be coming out. Or well, something. And forgotten stuff, like anti armor rifle grenades. And maybe some sort of call for fire of light mortars where you need to pop out a 8 or 10 digit grid. Ideally where the gird is always different so you can not memorize points on a map as easy. Or not. With resection and intersection with all your land nav nightmares can come true added into call for fire.

And a place to use some of my old vehicle models.

That too... like...

This guy. It would need updating of mesh, new textures, and maybe an interior. It is like, 5 or so years old and I am a lot better at this sort of thing now. Mainly the texture is to low res for the NOW.

And this guy;

He is like 95 percent done. Just needs a place to stick em. Although the m38 shot there are old boring working wip shots and do not really convey it all that well. And oops, you see part of the damage boxes peaking out. OOPS.

Good concept? Bad concept? Thoughts? This has been floating around my head for some time. But its not the trend of modern games so probably be niche and small even if successful. If it ever got that far. Which is why small and expandable would have to be a core component. And assembling a small team would speed things along. You will note I did not throw out character model concepts . Takes to long and would be better if it more of less fit in with something easily modded. I guess a partial conversion of something existing to keep in realistic time frame.

Maybe something vary simple as far as game play like old arse Nova Logic king of the hill type of thing. Or something...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4289381 - 08/22/16 02:13 PM Re: So I got an idea for an FPS mod and........ [Re: FlashBurn]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Arma is nice and open to mods like this, you could put them in there without too many headaches I think.

Beyond that, I believe the Unreal 4 engine is free for noncommercial use, but that's based on a few things I've read here and there and it's not any sort of promise. smile

I also think CryEngine is moddable, but I'm not sure how easy it is to use. The previous two beat it there based on volume of mods I've seen.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4289670 - 08/23/16 02:51 AM Re: So I got an idea for an FPS mod and........ [Re: FlashBurn]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Arma is attractive as you have a giant frame work to work in. If looking at a retro mod it also at least has bots and all that so it had options there. I say that as no one jumped out of their skin and go, oh cool! A mod with old guns in it. Also bringing in vehicles is easy. Or more so than unreal 3 or something. If looking at it from trying to do an MP mod, you have visitor. So custom building small MP focused islands where you can really focus on a play style is attractive. Lots of work there however. And can something like that compete with KTOH? I have no idea. And quite far along. Also not worked in BIS stuff since OFP days.

Basically I have 1 year to kill unless something happens in the next day or two. I am attempting to go back to school for this junk as I have epic holes in my skill set. But where I want to go is still waiting on Federal VA Gi Bill approval. And it seems I can not use VA Voc Rehab benefits unless they also take GI Bill. And I sure as hell am not taking out loans at this point. My modeling certificate ain't hacking it for transition to professional game art dude it seems. So why not tackle something fun in a one year time frame?

I mean I really like this old junk. But it seems most do not.

#4289892 - 08/23/16 05:24 PM Re: So I got an idea for an FPS mod and........ [Re: FlashBurn]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
I wouldn't mind a high quality ArmA 3 mod, but it needs to be in a separate engine. The engine has too many limitations and everything ends up feeling the same. Nearly 2017 and the engine still does not support more than two weapon reload animations, among other things.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.