Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4281992 - 07/26/16 03:17 AM Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I remember reading about the early access starting for Aerofly FS 2 but I didn't pay much attention to it until I discovered this weekend that VR is now supported
http://steamcommunity.com/games/434030/announcements/detail/867325252140267227

This caught my attention and I checked a few youtube videos about it, and while it doesn't look like it's got the scope and complexity of FSX, prepar3d and X-plane, it looks like a nice new gen sim which has some aspirations to grow in complexity and content, so I'm considering giving it a go. Anyone is flying it and has an opinion on whether it's worth it or not? For VR flying I'm willing to aim less at the PMDG level of complexity, maybe concentrating on GA, but I still want something that has a good simulation of flight (including its interaction with weather - it's a pity that this sim is currently lacking in this regard with no precipations or real world weather)

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 07/26/16 03:17 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4282006 - 07/26/16 05:49 AM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
Sorry, this is not the sim but only poor Google Earth viewer. You can buy it, but after few flights you put it in to the shelf.

#4282460 - 07/27/16 06:43 PM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
Quote from Aerofly FS2 support page:
Aerofly 2 gives you a steep learning curve even if you are an absolute beginner. You don't need to focus on setting up an aircraft like turning on the engine, or moving certain switches into the right position. You can fly right away.
Flight simulator? Are you sure?

#4282476 - 07/27/16 07:53 PM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Dondy Offline
Dondy  Offline

Germany
You can also do this in FSX / P3D / DCS if you so wish. So what's your point?

In memory of the JaboG34 "Allgäu" Memmingen 1959-2003
Last take-off: 17.12.2002 10:06am

Legends may sleep but they'll never die
#4282552 - 07/28/16 03:52 AM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Yep, the availability of easy start and other easy settings don't turn a sim into an arcade game as long as there is some modularity in what can be done manually and how realistic the systems are.

In the case of VR flying, I'm happy to reduce a little bit the workload associated with setting up - on monitor I used to go for things like FS2Crew in PMDG level addons and take a good 30 min just to set the plane up, but currently in VR I'd rather enjoy a bit more of the flying itself, so being able to do a non-cold start and get to taxiing straight away is not a bad thing, same thing with having the option not to spend 30 min typing in the details of my flight in a FMC. So none of that would detract me from buying Aerofly FS 2 - it won't replace FSX/Prepar3D but it could be my goto sim when I have less time or maybe when I want to enjoy the scenery a bit more (it looks like it's pretty decent, except for the lack of details in rural scenery, for that it looks like OrbX remains my goto). I wonder about the quality of the flight model for a bit of aerobatics?

#4282560 - 07/28/16 05:50 AM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
OK, guys, everybody has different requirements, so, it is up to everybody taste.
When I am piloting aIrcraft, I need to take care of it, ie. control engine and other systems - fuel lean/rich, prop speed, torque, temperatures, carb freezing, communicate with ATC, IFR, avoid other traffic, etc. etc. and I missed that in FS1. It was too sterile.
To be honest I did not try Aerofly FS2 yet and I do not know if I ever do because of my terrible experience and disappointment of Aerofly FS1.

#4283111 - 07/30/16 02:49 AM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I would definitely have set my limits at having things link mixture control in - can't see myself using a sim without that sort of stuff, but it looks like FS2 is going towards that, IFR flying, ATC and even some sort of FMC in airliners. I'll also be curious to see whether they can get 3rd party onboard or not - they're working on giving them development tools apparently.
Meanwhile I haven't bought it yet - I realised I was still barely finding the time to enjoy some more VR in DCS, War Thunder (I used to hate it but enduring conflicts in sim mode kind of make it bearable) and above all FSX with FlyInside - FlyInside just released an update where you can flick switches and grab cockpit elements with the hand controllers, got to try that this weekend.

#4285637 - 08/08/16 02:20 AM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
That's great to hear. I haven't bought it yet due to a lack of spare time lately and enough stuff to do in VR as it is, but if I'll probably get it later.

#4286204 - 08/10/16 03:03 AM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I haven't tried AFS2 yet but I certainly feel the same as you regarding simming in VR - started with the C64 era (Amstrad CPC here though) and I have to say this is most significant revolution in simming for me since then. I started VR simming with a DK2 (Vive now) and soon after I couldn't go back to simming on monitor. I'd really like to see all other sims which have interested me in the past go VR as well (sub sims and train sims are begging for some VR too. For the former the HMS Marulken project should achieve that. For trains it's not clear when we'll get that though).

The only reason I haven't tried AFS2 is time though - I've got a backlog of VR games to play so after an initial binge on buying everything with VR I'm now in the phase where I'm restraining from buying new stuff and taking the time to enjoy what I already have - that's particularly true for FSX with FlyInside: I haven't even gone around trying all the addon planes I own. This is a great time to be simming for sure!

#4286235 - 08/10/16 06:19 AM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Aerofly FS2 really is amazing in VR. I took it for a quick spin around some of the airports I have flown into recently IRL. Palomar (KCRQ), San Diego, San Francisco, Oakland, Napa, Las Vegas, Burbank, Van Nuys, John Wayne Orange County. The level of detail is very impressive and it looks GREAT in VR. Very fluid too.

If complex systems modeling is your thing then you may find this sim lacking, but if the simulation of Flight is what you are looking for, then this will be right up your alley. For the record, I loved Aerofly FS1 too. The feeling of speed as you tear through the Swiss Alps at treetop height was awesome, especially with Track-IR. Being able to do this in VR with the Switzerland DLC was icing on the cake for me.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4286236 - 08/10/16 06:23 AM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Oh, and the Red P38! jawdrop

Last edited by Paul Rix; 08/10/16 06:24 AM.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4286249 - 08/10/16 09:18 AM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Oh dear, with these sorts of comments I don't think I'll manage to refrain from buying it after all... I can already hear my wallet cry. The Swiss DLC is very appealing to me. I was born and grew up right at the border with Switzerland and I often miss the Alps (although New Zealand is a fantastic place to go whenever I miss the mountains).

#4287482 - 08/14/16 09:05 PM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
DennyA Offline
CGW Flight Sim Editor :)
DennyA  Offline
CGW Flight Sim Editor :)

Seattlish
I just installed this Friday with my Oculus Rift and... WOW! It's just beautiful! And such a smoother experience in VR than DCS or P3D/Flyinside with GTX 1080. There's work to do on the systems and details still, but for early access, it's incredible.

It's far more than a "Google Earth" simulator, and that kind of hardcore-only attitude is one reason we don't get much in the way of new sim products anymore.

I'm absolutely loving what's in the sim so far, and sending constructive feedback to the developers on some short-term and long-term features that I think could make this sim successful and perhaps someday down the road a very popular civilian flight sim.

Back in the 90s I was the flight sim editor for CGW. This is the first sim that feels like a true generational jump (due to the visuals) from the sims of those days. And while its not going to please the switchology crowd, there's plenty here for the "joy of flying" crowd.

#4287886 - 08/16/16 01:29 PM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
I REALLY like the mouse cockpit interaction in VR. The cursor stays where you leave it (i.e. It is not tied to head movement). I hope DCS World adopts that technique. It makes things so much easier.

Carl Sagan
#4288449 - 08/18/16 05:54 PM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Toxin_1 Offline
Toxin_1  Offline

Pulled the trigger on the purchase as I live in the SF Bay Area. Flew the Blue Angels F-18 over the Golden Gate just like I have seen it done during Fleet Week in the Rift dance Worth the price of admission for sure.

#4288474 - 08/18/16 07:36 PM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: DennyA]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted By: DennyA
...And while its not going to please the switchology crowd, there's plenty here for the "joy of flying" crowd.

Unfortunately I am member of the "switchology crowd" frown. For the "joy of flying" I prefer good scottish single malt - Islay provenience. biggrin

Last edited by JJJ65; 08/18/16 07:42 PM.
#4294094 - 09/07/16 01:47 AM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
OK, so I bought it and tried it yesterday. I just wanted to set controls up and test things quickly so I only had a quick session on monitor, not in VR yet. It does look good (although I was a bit disappointed by Switzerland - I think my FlyLogic Switzerland Pro install on FSX does look better in fact, especially with autogen). I had a bit of a hard time suspending my belief when I landed the King Air somewhere near Yosemite and actually came to a complete stop within something like 50-100m of touching down on the runway. Now the King Air can land short, but that's way shorted than it should be. I think the ground behaviour of the aircraft is way off (I also don't seem to bounce at all on hard landings). But I'll keep trying it. Not yet convinced that it will end up offering me anything over my current FSX install with FlyInside though. There's a long road to go if they want it to be more than a short distraction on the sideline of the main sims. I'm starting to think that my only true hope for a next gen civilian sim with all the features I'd like (this includes VR as a must) might be X-Plane 11 - but for that they'll have to offer VR - without it I'll pass.

#4294163 - 09/07/16 01:51 PM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
That's true. Besides, I'm happy to support any new sim that implements VR, so I don't have any regrets.
I just tried Aerofly FS 2 in VR tonight and that's really where it shines. On monitor it didn't strike me that much, but in VR it was much more obvious that it looks better than FSX. I did experience stuttering, especially in Switzerland, but apparently the Vive implementation is not performing that well and on the top of that there seems to be current performances issues (in fact I did notice stuttering on monitor when I first tried it - it only occured in Switzerland though).
I also had a weird bug where most controls (keyboard + anything from stick + rudder) don't seem to register anymore, even pressing ESC to exit, but the simulation still runs and the mouse cursor still interacts with the aircraft. Quite annoying and it seems to happen rather often.

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 09/07/16 01:51 PM.
#4294190 - 09/07/16 05:03 PM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
With DCS, Alt+Enter is the solution Troll.

Carl Sagan
#4294638 - 09/09/16 01:22 AM Re: Aerofly FS 2 now with VR (OR and Vive) support [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Yesterday I did two short VR flights around LA in cloudy and low visibility conditions and I must say it looked absolutely amazing. The let down was the lack of fully developed navigation systems. On my LA - San Diego flight using the 737 I had to rely on bringing up the awful nav pink and green rectangles to check where I was in my flight plan - if I'm not wrong there is no way to display a moving map in VR currently, is there? This wouldn't be an issue if there was a way to put the autopilot on a VNAV mode following the flight plan, which is something they're planning to implement more fully (right now from what I understood it's all done by selecting the desired alt and selecting either vs or a lvl change mode. Anyway, it made me want to fly a PMDG level aircraft in VR in the sort of visual environment that Aerofly FS2 has. It also made me want to have a proper weather system though, with precipitations, storms etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.