Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4286177 - 08/10/16 12:00 AM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
So if you use 2 bits of bread can you make a rarebit sandwich? That is the question. Or it is a grilled cheese sandwich with like, flour cheese sauce?

And I'm hungry damnit.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4286277 - 08/10/16 11:54 AM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Jedi Master]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
It's not just about the cooking, it's also about the cut of meat. I've noticed restaurants, even the cheaper ones with under $20 steaks, get better cuts than I can usually find at the store. Yeah, sometimes you get a stinker when you have to cut into it to see it's junk inside, but the general rule is if I buy 10 steaks and get 10 out, I'm going to have 4-5 with some problems at home vs 1-2 out.

The Jedi Master

Thats a good point, JM. Ive noticed that too.
I put it down to restaurant steaks being prepared by professional chefs. They know how to make the best of what theyre cooking and serving.
We, even as talented amateur chefs, dont have the amount of hours of practice that they do.

Last edited by Stewie; 08/10/16 11:55 AM.

>
#4286278 - 08/10/16 12:02 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
A good place will use better cattle and age the beef one way or another for a month or more.

You're basically talking about high-end steakhouses. I really doubt that any chain restaurants like Carrabas or Olive Garden do that.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4286280 - 08/10/16 12:29 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: FlashBurn]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
Originally Posted By: FlashBurn
So if you use 2 bits of bread can you make a rarebit sandwich? That is the question. Or it is a grilled cheese sandwich with like, flour cheese sauce?

And I'm hungry damnit.

I think, correct me if Im wrong, that a rarebit is a mix of a roux, cheese, eggs, worcestershire sauce, and mustard. salt pepper etc.
Now, is THAT the rarebit? Or is the rarebit inclusive of the toast that its on?
Hmmm. needs thinking about.
I say go for it. Put the runny cheese and egg mix in a sammitch smile

>
#4286284 - 08/10/16 12:58 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
A good place will use better cattle and age the beef one way or another for a month or more.

You're basically talking about high-end steakhouses. I really doubt that any chain restaurants like Carrabas or Olive Garden do that.

Sure they can. Just do it elsewhere and ship as normal to the restaurants. Many of those high end restaurants sell mail order steaks.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4286309 - 08/10/16 02:51 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

confused
If you're getting a steak at Olive Garden, you're doing it wrong.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4286310 - 08/10/16 02:52 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Jedi Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

If you're getting a steak at Olive Garden, you're doing it wrong.

The Jedi Master
Lots of people are getting it wrong then. Not everyone can afford to go to Ruth Chris or Smith & Wollensky's.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4286314 - 08/10/16 03:01 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
What's wrong with Chili's or Outback or TGI Friday's or Longhorn or Ruby Tuesday's or *insert name of restaurant here*? confused

Do you also order chicken parmigiana at Red Lobster, boneless BBQ wings at Pollo Tropical, and duck l'orange at Sonny's BBQ?
I will never, NEVER order a steak at an Italian restaurant, nor BBQ, nor French food, nor a burger and fries. It makes absolutely no sense. Why would you even go to Olive Garden if you didn't want Italian food? confused

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4286315 - 08/10/16 03:02 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Last time I tried a chain restaurant steak was a couple of years back at an Outback Steakhouse. They could not even get medium rare right. Very thin cut, not even very well seasoned.

Very disappointing from an Outback "steakhouse". I still remember having a Melbourne Steak there on the early 90's and it was impressive in size and very tender and tasty.

#4286317 - 08/10/16 03:05 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
As I mentioned before, part of it is the cut. When I order a 6 oz sirloin it may be wide, flat, and thin. It could be almost spherical. It could be thick and taper to thin. My favorite is when it's well done on the outside and rare on the inside because they had the heat too high in an attempt to cook it faster. frown

The Jedi Master

#4286326 - 08/10/16 03:23 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
You've just defined Medium Rare - seared on the outside, inside is warm.

On cuts of meat:

The secret is to find an actual butcher shop, not the meat section of a grocery store.

Amazingly enough, we actually have one in my little town! You know your butcher is on top of things when you ask for a steak and he asks "how you gonna cook it" before selecting them for you.

If the answer is "one rare, one well," he'll wrap them separate and mark them.*

* There is bad with the good in marrying a Southern Belle. I get a little sad every time I hear her order a steak well done.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4286334 - 08/10/16 03:41 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Dart]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: Dart
You've just defined Medium Rare - seared on the outside, inside is warm.

I have never heard that doneness of meat has anything to do with seared vs internal temp.

All steaks have to be seared and warm inside (with various degrees of warm). Never cold or room temp. (even rare).

My definition is in the look of the cut, which is affected by cooking time. The art of the steak is obtaining an even result with different cooking times.

From rare to well done:

#4286339 - 08/10/16 03:49 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Jedi Master]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
As I mentioned before, part of it is the cut. When I order a 6 oz sirloin it may be wide, flat, and thin. It could be almost spherical. It could be thick and taper to thin. My favorite is when it's well done on the outside and rare on the inside because they had the heat too high in an attempt to cook it faster. frown

The Jedi Master

I get what you're saying and I agree. Most of the "wrong places to order a steak" have it so thin there isn't room for it to be anything BUT well or med well done.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4286341 - 08/10/16 03:53 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
If you are grilling steaks at a busy restaurant you pretty much have to cook them by feel, at home too in my case. I'd imagine chains try to time them, dunno, never worked for one in my short cooking "career". <5 yrs, but long enough to begin to really dislike the way people act when out to eat, ESPECIALLY the 10 min to closing "people". I'd say do that at your peril. Cooks DO NOT like you when you do that.

Nice pics, but their rare is almost Pittsburgh to me. Notice how they were cut. Across the grain of the beef. That's a BIG deal.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4286359 - 08/10/16 04:25 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Everyone should work at a restaurant and a retail store at some time in their lives. Even briefly, just to KNOW. LOL

#4286362 - 08/10/16 04:26 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Everyone should work at a restaurant and a retail store at some time in their lives. Even briefly, just to KNOW. LOL

I worked at a Wendy's when I was 15. Does that count? As for retail stores I worked a couple of them when I was in college.

#4286403 - 08/10/16 07:35 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Jedi Master]  
Turbo Offline
Turbo  Offline

w

The Jedi Master

Or when they try to rapid thaw a frozen steak on the grill/skillet it comes out like that too.

Celebrating 35+ years in the field of avionics....my how time flies!
#4286412 - 08/10/16 08:13 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4286455 - 08/10/16 10:47 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
One thing I can't tolerate is "kitchen sink" sandwiches, where there is everything piled onto it.

Bread. Meat. Cheese. A little mustard or maybe some horseradish. Stop.

Lettuce and pickles and onions and jalapenos and cucumbers and whatever else some folks try to pile into them isn't for me.

Same with hot dogs. Just a little mustard. Otherwise one might as well just eat relish or whatever, as the taste of the meat is gone.*

I also order my cheeseburgers plain - just meat and cheese - and add a little ketchup myself. The reason? Hot ketchup is somehow not as good as when it's at room temperature, and if the kitchen puts it on it arrives cooked as thoroughly as the meat.

* The one exception is The Varsity in Atlanta. Those are the only chili dogs worth eating.

Last edited by Dart; 08/10/16 10:52 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4286457 - 08/10/16 11:04 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I've eaten at TheVarsity many times. Good place. Good food and old school atmosphere. Truly righteous hot dogs. Yep, my kind of place.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.