Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4285586 - 08/07/16 06:37 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Stewie! you go and start a food discussion when I'm in the countryside with no internet unless I sit on the roof with the wind blowing from the west, typical biggrin readytoeat

We do have a So, what's for Dinner? thread running: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4060430/So,_what's_for_dinner?#Post4060430

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4285587 - 08/07/16 06:42 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
Hewhehe, Ill be all over that when Im out of game with Pwerstomp.. BF2 with the NAW mod! mmmmm
BRB

My favourite pie?
Meat and potato pie
Second favourite Pie: Jock Pie! Mutton mmmmmmmm

>
#4285588 - 08/07/16 06:53 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: DM]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
Originally Posted By: DM
It's also something I miss in Prague - British sliced bread. Czech bread is..... OK, but it's rather dry. And doesn't come in slice sizes that I'm used to, when it IS sliced. Luckily I can get UK style bread from Marks & Spencers shops which they have over here (3 branches that I know of in Prague).

It's also my only source for bacon & sausages. And duck eggs.

Bread...3 quid a shot?
Uk back bacon here?...14 euros a kilo, mas o menos

>
#4285704 - 08/08/16 01:23 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: coolhand20th]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: coolhand20th
Bah you can have your sammich's...I had a 20oz Porterhouse Steak tonight that had been tenderized twice and then frozen while marinating in homemade Italian Dressing for the last week along with a bowl of fresh all from my garden salad w/ a baked potato that had slow cooked for 2 hours and then to top it all all off...homemade fresh from the oven choco chip m&m cookies! One of my Parental Units had a T-Bone done the same exact way, fresh homemade pasta sauce with fresh ground round from the cow that our friend just got done a couple weeks ago, fresh salad and fresh homemade Italian Bread right from the oven as our bread for the dinner..

Mmmmmm MMmmmm GOOD!

Good grief, that's enough calories for an entire day!

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4285756 - 08/08/16 03:46 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Jedi Master]  
coolhand20th Offline
coolhand20th  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Bah you can have your sammich's...I had a 20oz Porterhouse Steak tonight that had been tenderized twice and then frozen while marinating in homemade Italian Dressing for the last week along with a bowl of fresh all from my garden salad w/ a baked potato that had slow cooked for 2 hours and then to top it all all off...homemade fresh from the oven choco chip m&m cookies! One of my Parental Units had a T-Bone done the same exact way, fresh homemade pasta sauce with fresh ground round from the cow that our friend just got done a couple weeks ago, fresh salad and fresh homemade Italian Bread right from the oven as our bread for the dinner..

Mmmmmm MMmmmm GOOD!

Good grief, that's enough calories for an entire day!

The Jedi Master

Eh a steak plus salad plus baked potato isn't bad. Especially when I didn't eat lunch or breakfast due to not being hungry at all. Dad had the same but no salad as he calls it rabbit food and I kinda agree I just eat lettuce with italian dressing on it. Mom had pasta with salad, baked potato and fresh bread. Only had 3 or 4 cookies and that was a couple hours later to give all that some time to settle,lol.

I hardly eat steak but maybe once every 3 or 4 months because of my syndrome and the subsequent meds I have to take afterwords to stop the side effects but like anyone I like a good steak now and then and it's worth it now and then. Plus every weekend we eat a nice dinner for once usually on sunday.

Last edited by coolhand20th; 08/08/16 03:47 PM.
#4285836 - 08/08/16 07:45 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: coolhand20th]  
Turbo Offline
Turbo  Offline

Originally Posted By: Turbo

Mmmmmm MMmmmm GOOD!

Dude! Since when does a porterhouse ever need to be tenderized? Twice even!! confused A porterhouse is already tenderloin beef (and sirloin)...

Can be confused but it works. By using this tool we bought for steaks it puts tiny small cuts into the beef even more which allows whatever you use for marinating to really get into the beef even more. A Porterhouse is a NY Strip Steak and small piece of filet mignon. If you don't tenderize your steaks that is your choice but after having a butcher in the family years and years ago telling us to try one without this tool vs using it..the choice was clear.

I apologize for the outburst, but it's just that I haven't heard of tenderizing a porterhouse before. A porterhouse is a top dollar steak and one does not have to have a butcher in the family to know their cuts of steak. NY strip = sirloin and filet mignon is also called tenderloin among other names. A porterhouse has a larger piece of filet than a T-bone. I guess there might be some tough ones out there, though I haven't had one yet or ever heard of one needing tenderizing. Whatever the case, sounds like you had a hearty meal. You can make one for me... I'm easy to convince when it comes to steaks. yep

Celebrating 35+ years in the field of avionics....my how time flies!
#4285849 - 08/08/16 08:15 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
If it's cut in the back/lower end, the tenderloin can be tough is my understanding.

Here you go:

Last edited by Raw Kryptonite; 08/08/16 08:18 PM.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4285867 - 08/08/16 08:44 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I usually eat 6 oz steaks because that's the size the restaurants won't go lower than. At home, I've had 5 and even 4 oz (buy a 10 or 8 and cut it in half for 2 to share).

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4285869 - 08/08/16 08:50 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I rarely get a steak at restaurants, the price is just too ridiculous. If I do, it's usually a surf & turf deal.
At home, my favorite thing to do is to buy a large flat iron steak and cut into 4 reasonably sized portions. Everyone gets a little, but not a huge steak. They can be pretty good size.
Nice to have a steak night for everyone, but without breaking the bank. It's a good cut though, very underrated.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4285870 - 08/08/16 08:50 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Crane Hunter Online cowboy
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Online Cowboy
Veteran

Master Meme-er
We have a local European butcher who sells sub sandwiches with a huge assortment of toppings, prosciutto, Montreal smoked meat, pastrami, schinkenspeck, smoked cheeses, etc, all the main unpackaged products that they sell, for only $6.50.

And they really pile it on, I don't know how they make money, It's hard to justify making any kind of cold meat sammich at home anymore with them around.

#4285874 - 08/08/16 08:52 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I can get a 6 oz steak, potato, and salad for $13-15, not counting drinks/tax/tip. That's pretty reasonable.

Yeah, you can pay $30+ at some restaurants, but I don't go to those. smile

The Jedi Master

#4285888 - 08/08/16 09:34 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: coolhand20th]  
Robbster Offline
Robbster  Offline

Calgary, Canada
By using this tool we bought for steaks it puts tiny small cuts into the beef even more which allows whatever you use for marinating to really get into the beef even more. A Porterhouse is a NY Strip Steak and small piece of filet mignon. If you don't tenderize your steaks that is your choice but after having a butcher in the family years and years ago telling us to try one without this tool vs using it..the choice was clear.

I wouldn't use a tool to make cuts into a top quality cut of meat, as those cuts would allow the naturally delicious juices from the steak to leak out. But I would try it with a cheaper, less tender/flavorful cut of meat.

#4285893 - 08/08/16 10:05 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Robbster]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Yeah I accidently marinated a steak once, spilled beer all over it!

Still was great. Only thing I do with steaks is..

1. Soy Sauce

2. fresh ground pepper

3. Charcoal or open fire coals grilled

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4285958 - 08/09/16 03:15 AM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Robbster]  
coolhand20th Offline
coolhand20th  Offline

Originally Posted By: Robbster
By using this tool we bought for steaks it puts tiny small cuts into the beef even more which allows whatever you use for marinating to really get into the beef even more. A Porterhouse is a NY Strip Steak and small piece of filet mignon. If you don't tenderize your steaks that is your choice but after having a butcher in the family years and years ago telling us to try one without this tool vs using it..the choice was clear.

I wouldn't use a tool to make cuts into a top quality cut of meat, as those cuts would allow the naturally delicious juices from the steak to leak out. But I would try it with a cheaper, less tender/flavorful cut of meat.

Once again your choice. I have noticed a difference in using this vs not using it. The taste is better, it is more tender and easier to cut. You don't lose any natural juices.

Also with regards to someone about a butcher in the family...No porterhouse is NOT always tender. It is angus beef but you can still get some tough cuts.

People can judge me for my choices on this but it is what is right for me. I trust this now former family member as he divorced my idiot cousin..which I can't blame him...but I trust him before I will trust others.

Also putting it into a zipper sealed bag with Italian Dressing does wonder for marinating it. I've used a few different Italian Dressings and they all work nicely. My favorite is of course a Zesty or a homemade one. Sometimes I do it for 24 hours other times I freeze it in said bag for a week or two before defrosting it over 24 hours. It has never failed me.

Same with how I freeze my steaks. We use that freezer paper that sticks to meat, put it in a vacuum sealed bag like the ones from any local store and I've had steaks that were frozen 18 months prior and still tasted like the ones I ate the day the meat was cut or picked up at the store. Our system works for us it doesn't work for everyones tastes people need to understand that to each their own but we've never had an issue with how ours tastes and we eat ours at medium to medium well depending on how I feel that day.

#4286000 - 08/09/16 11:07 AM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
I rarely get a steak at restaurants, the price is just too ridiculous.

Depends on where you go. I've found steak entrees at places like Chili's and Outback to be quite reasonable.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4286049 - 08/09/16 02:18 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The only thing I want at Chili's is their bacon cheeseburger. Lots of good stuff on the menu, but that's one of the best bacon burgers out there.
I usually don't get a steak unless it's a specialty of the place. Otherwise I can just do it myself and probably better at home.

#4286061 - 08/09/16 03:11 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
coolhand20th Offline
coolhand20th  Offline

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
The only thing I want at Chili's is their bacon cheeseburger. Lots of good stuff on the menu, but that's one of the best bacon burgers out there.
I usually don't get a steak unless it's a specialty of the place. Otherwise I can just do it myself and probably better at home.

Same with steaks or steak sammichs. Can always do better at home unless it is that said specialty place. We have one here in the Green Bay area. The steaks are unreal but it is a flat 23 bucks no matter what the steak you get it the only difference is the size of each one of them. And it includes all your sides except a drink.

#4286064 - 08/09/16 03:17 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Speaking of steaks, I had a filet mignon at the Eiffel Tower restaurant when I was last in Vegas. I wanted to cry from just how amazing it tasted and I also wanted to cry when I got the bill. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4286132 - 08/09/16 07:50 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It's not just about the cooking, it's also about the cut of meat. I've noticed restaurants, even the cheaper ones with under $20 steaks, get better cuts than I can usually find at the store. Yeah, sometimes you get a stinker when you have to cut into it to see it's junk inside, but the general rule is if I buy 10 steaks and get 10 out, I'm going to have 4-5 with some problems at home vs 1-2 out.

The Jedi Master

#4286173 - 08/09/16 11:42 PM Re: A GREAT cheese sammitch. [Re: Stewie]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
A good place will use better cattle and age the beef one way or another for a month or more.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.