Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4285639 - 08/08/16 02:31 AM Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10  
Eagle114th Offline
Eagle114th  Offline

Texas, USA
Hello everyone,

I just blew the dust out of old files from Jane's Fighter Anthology from 1997, including some of libs (old name for mods from late 1990s to 2000s when people created mods for Jane's FA). I am working on making it flyable again so I can enjoy the old nostalgic experiences with it. I have questions for SimHQ community:

1) Do any of you still fly Jane's FA for sakes of old time, especially the wonderful features that Jane's FA have to offer?

2) Do any of you have any libs (mods) for Jane's FA? I am missing lot libs, especially Centurian libs. So i am wondering if any of you have these libs.

3) Do any of you managed to get Jane's FA working with windows 10 64 bit?

I am having troubles running it, especially with Windows XP Service 3 as compatibility as an admin in my Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Every time I start missions and jump into aircraft, screen always freeze / lock up after few seconds. So I am wondering if any of you have managed to get it working with Windows 10.

-----------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Good news for everyone, I think I might have managed to solve the problems. I tweaked FA.exe like this:

1) Enable compatibility to Window XP (Service Pack 3)
2) Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution
3) Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
4) Run this program as an administrator

The screen no longer freeze anymore and I am able to fly smoothly in Jane's FA. This is an excellent news!

However, do anyone, by any chance, have Jane's FA libs (mods) files? The website I got several mods from JKPeter website (http://jkpeterson.net/fa/librarys.php) have several mods missing, for example: Centurian lib (That mod is one of my favorite mod)

Last edited by Eagle114th; 08/08/16 10:58 PM.

Great pilots are made not born... A man may possess good eyesight, sensitive hands, and perfect coordination, but the end product is only fashioned by steady coaching, much practice, and experience.

Air Vice-Marshall J.E. "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4285910 - 08/08/16 11:32 PM Re: Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10 [Re: Eagle114th]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Hey, I've been playing FA on my Win 10 64-bit for quite a while now without any problems. I didn't used any compatibility options on the exe, just installed the official 1.02 patch.

If you want to play Ukraine Campaign though you need the "USNF Ukraine Campaign Video Fix" available also from site you mentioned.

I've been replaying the FA series campaigns you can check them out here:

Vietnam Campaign

Ukraine Campaign

Kurile Campaign

Egypt Campaign (still in progress)

#4285925 - 08/09/16 12:45 AM Re: Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10 [Re: damson]  
Eagle114th Offline
Eagle114th  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: damson
Hey, I've been playing FA on my Win 10 64-bit for quite a while now without any problems. I didn't used any compatibility options on the exe, just installed the official 1.02 patch.

If you want to play Ukraine Campaign though you need the "USNF Ukraine Campaign Video Fix" available also from site you mentioned.

Vietnam Campaign

Ukraine Campaign

Kurile Campaign

Thank you and I will check Ukraine Campaign. Do you, by any chance, have Centurian Game Remod libs for Jane's FA? This is one of greatly missing lib I am looking for. I am old friend of Centurian and his lib is one of my favorite.

Last edited by Eagle114th; 08/09/16 12:53 AM.

Great pilots are made not born... A man may possess good eyesight, sensitive hands, and perfect coordination, but the end product is only fashioned by steady coaching, much practice, and experience.

#4285990 - 08/09/16 10:05 AM Re: Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10 [Re: Eagle114th]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted By: Eagle114th

Thank you and I will check Ukraine Campaign. Do you, by any chance, have Centurian Game Remod libs for Jane's FA? This is one of greatly missing lib I am looking for. I am old friend of Centurian and his lib is one of my favorite.

Sorry but no. I've never heard of this libs. I was intrigued however by official campaign released only in Japan.

http://www.tok2.com/home/avionics/usnffm/index.html

#4286053 - 08/09/16 02:40 PM Re: Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10 [Re: damson]  
Eagle114th Offline
Eagle114th  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: damson
Originally Posted By: Eagle114th

Sorry but no. I've never heard of this libs. I was intrigued however by official campaign released only in Japan.

http://www.tok2.com/home/avionics/usnffm/index.html

I have good news, I found Centurian Game Remod lib for Jane's FA from this link (I posted it in my previous post above): http://jkpeterson.net/fa/librarys.php

I can't believe I didn't see this lib that is actually uploaded in the same link I posted above. However, I am still missing an additional files for campaign with Centurian's Game Remod lib.

However, I have never seen USN Campaign released in Japan only, is there download links for it? I would like to try their campaign in Jane's FA.

#4286547 - 08/11/16 12:35 PM Re: Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10 [Re: Eagle114th]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Glad you found the lib you looked for.

Regarding the Final Mission, I never found any download links for it. There were some libs with content cut out from it available also from the jkpeterson site (Final Mission Objects), but that's all I ever found.

#4404154 - 02/08/18 06:47 AM Re: Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10 [Re: damson]  
CAG100 Offline
CAG100  Offline

The World
Originally Posted by damson

Vietnam Campaign

Ukraine Campaign

Kurile Campaign

I know I am a bit late to this thread but does FA run in a window in Win10 or still take the entire screen?

Retired TSH Developer/Member

Retired Contributing editor to Sim-News.com

#4404208 - 02/08/18 03:49 PM Re: Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10 [Re: Eagle114th]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
It runs in full screen, just as in my Vietnam Campaign videos (it was recorder while running on Win10) the remaining campaigns were recorder running on DOSBox (which runs on Win10, so all the campaigns are playable in modern system).

BTW I just recently have finished all the campaigns from ATF and started Baltics Campaign from NATO Fighters expansion:

Baltics Campaign Youtube Playlist

#4453549 - 12/17/18 05:26 AM Re: Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10 [Re: Eagle114th]  
usnraptor Offline
usnraptor  Offline

Indiana
Originally Posted by Eagle114th
Hello everyone,

I just blew the dust out of old files from Jane's Fighter Anthology from 1997, including some of libs (old name for mods from late 1990s to 2000s when people created mods for Jane's FA). I am working on making it flyable again so I can enjoy the old nostalgic experiences with it. I have questions for SimHQ community:

1) Do any of you still fly Jane's FA for sakes of old time, especially the wonderful features that Jane's FA have to offer?

2) Do any of you have any libs (mods) for Jane's FA? I am missing lot libs, especially Centurian libs. So i am wondering if any of you have these libs.

Sorry I'm late to the party.

For those interested, Fighters Anthology is still being played and improved by a group of us dedicated players. Over the last few years, I have built several new campaigns, including historical Vietnam campaigns, and made improvements to the existing campaigns (except Kuril campaign), as well as improvements to aircraft, weapons, etc...

You can read more on my website, and download the updates.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~usnraptor/

Some sports require one ball; skydiving requires both.
#4488267 - 09/03/19 12:02 PM Re: Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10 [Re: Eagle114th]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Hi!
I just was running fighters anthology again after a while on windows 10 64bit, - i am getting the constant freezes unfortunately, if am running it with no compat settings on, but if i put on the winxp compat setting, then th game has no sound at all - how do i rectify this?

does any else have this issue?

#4488324 - 09/03/19 10:07 PM Re: Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10 [Re: Eagle114th]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
i got it fixed i think,, - restart computer and removed some d3d dlls that were ther as some supposed video fix

now i am just wondering which libs are the best add? i have a bunch of missions added and iceman 232 lib atm, - i it seems good so far

but are there any mods that add visible weapons or pylons at least to the aircraft? even if they are static, they would look better than the empty wings and fuselage

#4492402 - 10/11/19 02:39 AM Re: Jane's Fighter Anthology and Windows 10 [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
usnraptor Offline
usnraptor  Offline

Indiana
I have never seen any mods that include visible weapons or pylons.

As far as best libs, I suggest adding my usnraptor playset to a copy of Fighters Anthology. Keep in mind that you can load multiple copies of Fighters Anthology to your computer.

You can read more on my website, and download the updates.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~usnraptor/

Feel free to e-mail me anytime. My address is at the bottom of my website.

Some sports require one ball; skydiving requires both.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.