Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#4284720 - 08/04/16 03:35 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
Snoopy_476th Offline
Snoopy_476th  Offline

Warner Robins Ga, USA
Originally Posted By: bktunder
Having people like RL pilots, crew chiefs and the like around the forums and playing DCS is something that ED should be incredibly proud of......

I know of at least two other A-10C crew chiefs that fly DCS A-10C, they just don't get on forum/message boards. Deployed with them I even purchased a laptop to take with me on my deployment when ED announced they planned to release 2.0 as an Alpha while I was away. It was a running joke for years how happy I would be when we finally got Nevada.

I want the same thing now that I wanted when I originally became part of the ED Testers Team, to make the A-10 as realistic as possible. I think ED has forgotten how much I assisted them in that, I was in constant contact with Oleg concerning how certain avionics should work amongst other things that I can't discuss because of the NDA I signed years ago. I left the tester team when it appeared, to me at least, that the A-10C wasn't going to get any more improvements and that things that broke would get fixed (maybe) but on a time table I didn't agree with.

Noodle has a very similar story, ED quickly forgets all the free time we invested in helping them try to improve. The problem is, even as a tester you aren't listened to or you have the "fan boy" testers that will argue (again with no real world experience or knowledge) that something is right no matter what evidence you provide to the contrary.

Now, not all of ED employees or testers are bad, they get the "guilty by association" tagging but I had very good relationships with many devs and testers, and still do to this day. But the public face of the ED Forums, that's another story. If I get permanently banned from the ED boards so be it, I have a right to express myself and I have not specifically attacked any individual ED employee, tester, or moderator. I will continue to fly with the 476 vFG and enjoy a simulator that has a ton of potential, but sadly I feel will never reach that potential fully.

Originally Posted By: bktunder
What difference does the ITT make in terms of real thrust?

It does, but without being able to test what thrust is actually being put out at MAX in DCS World it doesn't do us much good. Without the engine trimmed correctly she won't produce the correct amount of thrust.

Last edited by Snoopy_476th; 08/04/16 03:37 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4284723 - 08/04/16 03:41 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
I just stumbled on this while searching for a Su-25T video

Published on Oct 7, 2015

it is amazing the damage that is being done to their reputation by that forum, sometimes I feel sorry for them.

#4284765 - 08/04/16 05:41 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
cdelucia Offline
cdelucia  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Well that's adorable. I can definitely see them NOT fixing SLI for half the nVidia users. "I don't know why Wags doesn't fire some of them." Um, Wags is one of them, dude.

#4284775 - 08/04/16 06:12 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
Noodle Offline
Noodle  Offline

Originally Posted By: bkthunder
What difference does the ITT make in terms of real thrust?

I can't speak intelligently about the thermodynamics of it all, but in practical terms maximum ITT (or TIT/EGT) is a limiting factor of jet engines and, generally, maximum thrust will produce maximum ITT. If an engine reaches the maximum ITT limit prior to reaching the expected N1/N2, there is probably something wrong with the engine: excessive turbine blade tip wear, excessive carbon deposits on turbine blades, deformed or missing turbine blades, etc. On the other hand, adjusting the maximum allowable commanded ITT is used as a method for controlling other limiting factors, such as internal engine pressure. In other words, ITT is limited by limiting maximum fuel flow in order to prevent compressor discharge temperature from becoming excessive during operation at high thrust/low altitude/low temperature.

In the A-10 specifically, setting a specific ITT is the preferred method for setting thrust and obtaining matched climb performance between aircraft. In other words, when flying something like an Instrument Trail Departure (ITD), a flight of four A-10s must fly through Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC). With no radar, and no ability to maintain visual separation, the standard procedure is for all flight members to set 800 ITT and adjust pitch to maintain 200 KIAS. Each aircraft strives to maintain 1,000 feet of vertical separation from the preceding aircraft. ITT is then adjust in 25 degree increments in order to maintain spacing.

Since aircraft performance is achieved by adjusting attitude and power, we can split the instrument panel up between so-called "control instruments" and "performance instruments". First you set a desired aircraft attitude and power using the control instruments, then you observe aircraft performance using the performance instruments.

So, for instance, you observe an unintended descent on the altimeter (performance), so you adjust pitch using the attitude indicator (control). You observe an increase in vertical velocity (performance), and as you near the desired altitude, you reduce pitch on the ADI (control). Vertical velocity decreases (performance), and altitude stabilizes (performance). This ignores airspeed/power, but you get the idea. The concept is explained in the FAA Instrument Fying handbook: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/FAA-H-8083-15B.pdf

Using ITT in the manner described above makes it a control instrument, thus correct indications are important. Especially when ITT values correlate to a known amount of thrust and thus aircraft performance. N1 (Fan RPM) is generally a better direct indicator of thrust, but nonetheless, standard practice in the A-10 is to use ITT for climb and Fuel Flow for cruise. Fan RPM is only really checked once during the takeoff roll.

Last edited by Noodle; 08/04/16 06:15 PM.
#4284833 - 08/04/16 09:01 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
Dojo Offline
Dojo  Offline

NY
So I'm here to be peacenik dude. wave

I've asked my friends at the 476th to refrain from responding in this thread with anything other than technical points. Do not misunderstand, there is no censorship happening here. We simply want to focus on technical aspects of the matter, which is ultimately the spirit of our group.

That's not to end this thread by any means. It's simply to say that if anyone wants to discuss the technical matter, we're all here for it. Beyond that, we'll refrain for now.

I appreciate everyone's understanding of that point, even if you're opposed to it.

Last edited by Dojo; 08/04/16 09:01 PM.
#4284838 - 08/04/16 09:18 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
Snoopy_476th Offline
Snoopy_476th  Offline

Warner Robins Ga, USA
Dojo's new call sign is "Peacemaker" copter

#4284847 - 08/04/16 09:47 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
rcjonessnp175 Offline
rcjonessnp175  Offline

I do respect that but same token change never happens with idle hands. You fellas have the knowledge and experience to really make,positive changes keep pressing and Ranger on as we say.

#4284856 - 08/04/16 10:11 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
nadal Offline
nadal  Offline

Reading the discussion there, what they say is that the logic itself (how ITT indicator being affected by engine condition) is coded following doc given by official.

It means the numbers that ITT indicator shows in sim might not match numbers as in reality even though actual thrust power is same.

Is climb rate in DCS A-10C actually less than real one?

Last edited by nadal; 08/04/16 10:12 PM.
#4284900 - 08/05/16 02:46 AM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
HitmanLOF Offline
HitmanLOF  Offline

Just dont go to their forums and/or post anything at all. They may make a great product, but customer service was obviously outsourced to India or Pakistan. Most of the time when I go there, I can just imagine it being identical with people of wal mart. Its useless to complain about anything ED related, whether or not its the forums or bug reports. They're all experts while we are not...even providing evidence to the contrary. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results every time. TFC/ED isnt user friendly unless you suck some e-peen.

#4284915 - 08/05/16 03:49 AM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA
Its the reason i am no longer a tester with ED we (the 195th Dambusters) as a group helped beta test LOMAC spent over a thousand hours testing and we kept telling them the missiles were wrong but they wouldn't listen and since they didn't want to fix the issue which i believe is still around today.

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#4284933 - 08/05/16 07:48 AM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: Noodle]  
bkthunder Offline
bkthunder  Offline

Originally Posted By: Noodle
ITT is then adjust in 25 degree increments in order to maintain spacing.

This always got me a bit puzzled:

standard temp is 800, can a pilot go to 825 or 850 in order to maintain the formation, or does it mean that he can adjust downwards to 775 or both?

Currently in DCS the engines max out at 800, so going higher is no option. And this is what was disturbing me.
Back a few years I was in a squadron and we were following ITD procedures by the book. That's when first encountered the 800 ITT parameter.
Although I never really understood how it could work, since 800 = max throttle, and it just seemed strange that you would do the whole climb in Buster, and wingmen couldn't even catch up with the lead if they needed to.

So IRL 800 ITT corresponds to what throttle setting (roughly)?

#4285077 - 08/05/16 03:47 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
zaelu Offline
MercInc staff
zaelu  Offline
MercInc staff

France (ex Romania)

biggrin

#4285082 - 08/05/16 04:02 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
thumbsup

#4285085 - 08/05/16 04:07 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

It was as if many voices cried out in horror and werre suddenly silenced
I fear something terrible has happened

ED moderators are on a rampage ..... s*itspawn and his dark minions

Last edited by leaf_on_the_wind; 08/05/16 04:07 PM.

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4285103 - 08/05/16 05:01 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
^circumventing the profanity filter to degrade another user....

isnt both of those against SimHQ policy?

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4285121 - 08/05/16 05:44 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

C'mon, Skate. Stay on target.

Even if leaf painted you with too wide of a brush, most of us know that you're not included in the aforementioned moderation tactics. But the fact remains that even if we're talking about a single moderator who goes off the reservation, as a result ED still has a major optics problem.

The biggest problem is that the people being banned are high profile pillars of the DCS community, and those bans resonate beyond the individuals throughout their sphere of influence. Being that you have been a tireless contributor to DCS and other communities prior to your becoming an ED moderator, you understand more than most that being apparently unjustly tossed by a community to which you made generous contributions of time cuts deeper than being kicked out of your local Denny's for a minor infraction. Even if the bans are legitimate, the optics along with historical pattern make it appear to be petty tyranny. Along similar lines, those who are cut deepest hurt the most and tend not to come back, which ripples their entire sphere of influence. For example, we know you're big with ATI/AMD video cards. If one day you felt wronged and switched to nVidia, there are probably quite a few people who would wonder what happened and buy nVidia instead as well.

I know it would be awkward to publicly acknowledge the issue, but most of the posts here are concern for the community, and I agree with that. We just want reason to win over what appears to be petulant behavior.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4285138 - 08/05/16 06:30 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: HomeFries]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted By: HomeFries
C'mon, Skate. Stay on target.

Even if leaf painted you with too wide of a brush, most of us know that you're not included in the aforementioned moderation tactics. But the fact remains that even if we're talking about a single moderator who goes off the reservation, as a result ED still has a major optics problem.

The biggest problem is that the people being banned are high profile pillars of the DCS community, and those bans resonate beyond the individuals throughout their sphere of influence. Being that you have been a tireless contributor to DCS and other communities prior to your becoming an ED moderator, you understand more than most that being apparently unjustly tossed by a community to which you made generous contributions of time cuts deeper than being kicked out of your local Denny's for a minor infraction. Even if the bans are legitimate, the optics along with historical pattern make it appear to be petty tyranny. Along similar lines, those who are cut deepest hurt the most and tend not to come back, which ripples their entire sphere of influence. For example, we know you're big with ATI/AMD video cards. If one day you felt wronged and switched to nVidia, there are probably quite a few people who would wonder what happened and buy nVidia instead as well.

I know it would be awkward to publicly acknowledge the issue, but most of the posts here are concern for the community, and I agree with that. We just want reason to win over what appears to be petulant behavior.

+1

#4285201 - 08/05/16 09:56 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I don't understand the difficulty; the rules are very simple. You must clearly show how they are incorrect without making it obvious that they were ever wrong.

#4285251 - 08/05/16 11:29 PM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Pff, silly A-10 pilots and maintainers! They know nothing about the plane compared to a bunch of computer game devs in Moscow!

#4285305 - 08/06/16 06:42 AM Re: I would like to draw your attention to this [Re: bkthunder]  
David_OC Offline
(OC) Pythagoras
David_OC  Offline
(OC) Pythagoras

Australia
I would like DCS to update/touch up the A10c too if warranted.

But not now, perhaps wait until they have got everything merge into 2.5 and sorted out a bit.
This is a major time for them to get this right for the future,I know I'm very much looking froward to
learning the F18 / F14 and Carrier Operations. Will it be IRL perfect, probably not but it's our best hope right
now in flightsim. VR F18 Carrier Operations cannot wait, still have a soft spot and always will for the A10C tho.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.