Hop To
Page 77 of 227 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 226 227
#4280778 - 07/22/16 12:05 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

popcorn

I have downloaded the backup Utility. I dont know if I placed it in the right location or How to use it. Will give it a stumble through tomorrow. sigh

#4280812 - 07/22/16 04:00 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Journal Entry: July 21, 1916
St. Pol-sur-Mer

The rumors of us becoming a purely pursuit squadron were proven to be true on the evening of the 19th when I received a call from Wing informing me that our trusty Strutters were to be removed and replaced by the new untested Sopwith Scout. The Wing commander had gotten his hands on four of the new scouts and decided we were the perfect group of pilots to put them through their paces. I had not been privy to any information on this new scout and so I was a little hesitant to part with my Strutters, but as with everything in the military I was not allowed to get a vote in the matter. The Lorries began arrived around ten the next morning and in no time the ack emmas had the Strutters ready for transfer and were already working on our four new scouts. As soon as one of the scouts had been completed Sgt. Stiles, who has never had a problem with voicing his opinion, said to everyone present, “this Pup looks like it was sired by a couple of those Strutters.” Everyone laughed which probably was his intention, but the name had stuck and it wasn’t long until everyone was calling them Pups. As soon as they had my machine completed I took her up to see how she handled and was I ever surprised by what I discovered. This aeroplane climbed remarkable well, was incredibly agile since it had ailerons in both wings and responded well to a light touch. I knew right then that I was ‘head over heels’ in love with this machine and to be honest didn’t want to land. Eventually, I had to land and even that was amazing. I have never landed an aeroplane with a shorter roll out than this Pup; if the wind were blowing harder you could almost land it standing still. After the other three had been rigged, I set the ack emmas to painting my machine for tomorrow’s sortie. Behold, the Grim Reaper has returned to the skies of Flanders.

This morning’s sortie gave me a small taste of just what the Pup can do in combat and it will give us complete control of the sky. I led a flight of five on a patrol in the Ypres area and as we were arriving I spotted two Fokkers to our east. I signaled the attack and climbed above the fray so that I might be able to assist any of my flight. While we were engaged I spotted a flight of five Fokkers that were diving to help their brothers. I turned and began climbing to engage these newcomers. Two flashed on past and three stayed to engage me and much to my surprise, I was easily handling the situation. As a matter of fact, I downed all three of the Fokkers in short order. One, I sent spiraling out of control, the second; I damaged his engine causing him to crash land and the third I sent down in flames. It was the most amazing encounter I have had during my entire war flying career. At no time was I threatened by the Fokkers, I could easily out turn them and out climb them. This machine could very well have a significant impact on the war.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
In case anyone was worried, I only filed a claim for one of my kills because that would be breaking the rules and "ain't nobody got time for breaking rules."
biggrin

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4280836 - 07/22/16 09:46 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
I caved in and started a new pilot....although summer holidays are around the corner.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4280868 - 07/22/16 12:46 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Yea! We are certainly glad to have you back.

#4280942 - 07/22/16 04:09 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

reading

A fine looking Scout ship. Nice Skin.

#4281078 - 07/23/16 12:28 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Banjoman, so you have the Pup you lucky dog, while we're still flying the flee-bitten mongrels.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4281081 - 07/23/16 12:40 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Yep, I think WOFF is actually a little early in delivering the Pup but who's complaining.

#4281505 - 07/24/16 01:03 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Here's the latest status report.

#4281960 - 07/25/16 11:21 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Carrick, you are getting a ton of flying time in both DiD campaigns! How do you manage it?

Lou, glad to see you were only grazed. Great photos!

Banjoman, I'm ridiculously jealous of you getting a Pup this soon. Leave some Huns for the rest of us, please.

Lederhosen, brilliant name for your new British pilot.

Sgt Alfred Keers is back in action just in time to sit in his tent listening to the rain...

It was good to be back in 20 Squadron. Finally done with my punishment assignment as duty NCO, I have had more time to get to know people here. I’m sharing a tent with Jeffery Andarto, our other sergeant-pilot. He’s a quiet sort, but a good mate, and being from Yorkshire we have a lot in common. His Da and mine were both pitmen, and like me he’d worked on steam engines. Only in his case he apprenticed as a colliery engineman.

On 21, 22, and 23 March the sleet and wind grounded us, and we got permission to wander into town. We visited the old cathedral and the large market square. Jeff and I tried to buy lunch at the Hotel Francois, but were shown the door as it’s only open for officers. Their loss – within minutes we found a little café on a nearby side street that served a wonderful baked fish dish, done in cream sauce with potatoes and bits of turnip and accompanied by some very fine cider. The proprietor and his wife fussed over us as if we were a pair of colonels.

I bought some shaving soap and Murad cigarettes and Jeff acquired a heavy carpet large enough to cover the duckboards between our bunks in the tent. We returned to Clairmarais just in time for dinner. To my surprise, Major Wilson had been invited to dine with the NCOs and after the meal and Royal Toast he said he had an announcement. He then said that it had been confirmed that the Fokker shot down my Lieut Whieldon and me on 20 March had fallen near our lines and been confirmed. This was the first confirmed kill for our squadron by an NCO pilot. I drank for free all night.

The 24th was a wash-out as well. We got up on 25 March. Captain Paget Graves led three Fees on a long flight south to Lens. I spotted three unidentified two-seaters heading west out of Hunland and signalled, but the captain shook his head. A little later I saw three monoplanes a mile or two off to the east, but again the captain did not pursue them. I was browned off since I’d gotten hold of the idea of Hun-getting.

We had more rain and snow on the 26th and 27th. I didn’t have enough saved to head back to town so I spent the day helping the ack emmas and playing Nap for francs in the mess.

#4282055 - 07/26/16 12:42 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
funny thing War. Infact we still listen to Clasical Hunnish music.

#4282133 - 07/26/16 04:01 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: lederhosen]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Lederhosen, I think that picture may be the Canadian army comedy troupe called "The Dumbbells."

#4282208 - 07/26/16 07:43 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
'The Maple Leaves', a Canadian concert party

http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/west-end-or-western-front

#4282659 - 07/28/16 02:09 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Good morning Gents! I am fixing to pick up the pieces and rejoin. Warbirds rising are in 1916 right? Is there another calender for intrepid flyers?

Looking forward to being back in the fray.
Mark

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4282694 - 07/28/16 03:03 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Just sent you the calendar for Intrepid Flyers and yes the Warbirds are in July of 1916.

#4282896 - 07/29/16 02:29 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Sgt Alfred Keers had an exciting day today.

We woke on 29 March 1916 to the blissful sound of a light rain falling on the canvas. It was warmer than the previous days and you could smell the earth – no surprise as it had been well manured since before the Romans came, I suppose. But at least that meant the ground was thawing properly. Anderto and I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast of tea and toast and a boiled egg before wandering over to our respective hangar.

I was assigned to Mr McNaughton’s patrol. My aircraft, his, and Mr Reid’s were to patrol over into Hunland towards the aerodrome at Phalempin, south of Lille. We took off and climbed through the low cloud. Cloudy days like this put me on edge. There were too many hiding places for Fokkers. I had grown fond of the Fee, but I could not shake the feeling that too much could happen behind you on the other side of that rumbling Beardmore. But there were no Fokkers this day. We did our rounds for the allotted time and headed home with nothing to report.

30 March was a totally different matter. Captain Paget Graves led a three-machine patrol – his machine, mine, and Mr Reid’s – down south. For the past several days the enemy had dropped bombs on the airfields south and west of Doullens. It was a sunny morning and the clouds were sparse and fluffy. We climbed to 9000 feet and followed landmarks: the bend in the Lys near Trizennes; The town and the distinctive wood near St-Pol; the smoke haze over Doullens.

Just south of Doullens is the aerodrome of Marieux. As we approached, the gunners near the field were putting up a display of fine Archie-ing (for I’d learned that anti-aircraft fire was known as nothing but, with all credit to George Robey and his ditty). We made out two aircraft and soon recognized them as Fokkers. It was most unusual to see them so far over. I picked out the closest and manoeuvred to put Mr Whieldon in a good firing position, but the Hun was wily and I had to throw our bus around to keep him from getting behind us. Poor Mr Whieldon knelt in his windswept tub with an arm locked around the rear gun’s post. I lost the Hun momentarily before spotting him beneath me, about to give us the slip and help his friend, whom Mr Reid was harassing. I put the Fee over to the left and dived. Mr Whieldon released his post and grabbed the forward Lewis. He fired about 20 rounds and the green Fokker began to tumble in a flat spin. I gave a whoop, but I’m sure Mr Whieldon didn’t hear me. That was one fine man on a machine gun!

"He fired about 20 rounds and the green Fokker began to tumble in a flat spin."

We watched only a few seconds, for Mr Reid was now in trouble. The other Fokker, a yellow machine, was on his tail and we could hear the firing of its gun. The yellow Hun was caught totally by surprise when we opened fire from barely 20 yards away. I nearly overshot him and as I slewed to one side, I saw our bullets tracing along the side of the Fokker. It began to smoke and dive away. Mr Whieldon slammed a fresh drum onto his Lewis.

We climbed, turned, and fell onto the Hun’s tail with Mr Whieldon firing nearly the entire drum. An orange puff appeared, and then flames began to pour backwards along the fuselage of the Fokker. Our Lewis kept firing, mercifully ending the day for the poor fellow.

Back at Clairmarais, we recounted the story to the RO and babbled like street urchins who have found a florin on the sidewalk. He made calls to 15 Squadron at Marieux. They confirmed our flamer, but informed us that the green Fokker was seen to recover close to the ground and head east. At least Mr Whieldon and I had our second confirmed kill, which made us the top-scoring pair in the squadron. Mr. Whieldon was good enough to arrange with the sergeant-major that I should have an open chit in the WOs’ and Sergeants’ Mess that night!

"The yellow Hun was caught totally by surprise..."

"An orange puff appeared, and then flames began to pour backwards along the fuselage of the Fokker."

#4283021 - 07/29/16 04:50 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Journal Entry: July 29, 1916
St. Pol-sur-Mer

It has been eight days since our top pilots have been assigned the Pup and I can say without any reservations that this aeroplane has drastically changed how C Squadron is performing. When I assumed command of C Squadron, the squadron consisted of a group of men fulfilling their duties but nothing more. When we switched to a purely pursuit squadron and then added the Pups that was when I noticed a change in the attitude and demeanor of the men. Now the men seem to be more aggressive and confident, even the pilots not flying the Pups. I must say that having a machine that is far and away superior to anything the enemy possesses does tend to make one confident and aggressive. The added benefit is that even the pilots not flying the Pup feel a boost of confidence just by flying with the Pups. One last word about the difference the Pup has made, we have had these machines for eight days and in that time we have destroyed ten Hun machines that should be all that needs to be said.

An interesting thing happened today as we were returning from a line patrol over near Dunkerque. We had just flown past Dunkerque when I spotted two aeroplanes above us and approaching from the west. I didn’t recognize the shape of these machines and that made me suspicious and so I gave the signal to pursue. We began to climb and before long one of the machines turned to engage us. These were Huns for sure, but the aeroplanes they were flying were unlike any I have seen before. It appeared that the fuselage filled the space between the upper and lower planes thereby giving the pilot and the observer a wonderful field of vision above, but not so much below and forward. What was probably the most startling was that this two-seater was attacking us. In this situation that could have turned ugly, the Pup showed its worth. After the initial shock of seeing this strange craft, I was able to quickly get on its tail and send it crashing into the sea. After landing, we learned that this strange bird is called a Roland C.II and the Huns are just now starting to replace the worn out Aviatiks with this newer machine. The Pup has once again proved it is the superior aeroplane, even besting the Huns brand new design.

I’ve included a few photographs of my successes with the Pup. I regret that I was not able to get a photograph of the Roland, but I imagine I will be seeing them again.

#4283093 - 07/29/16 11:35 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Sgt Brummel
32 Sgn

29 Jul 1918.

Back at Sqn, Assigned to Asst. Supply Officer till back on Flt Status 1 Aug 1918. Painted my kite today looks good cant wait to mix it up proper with the Hun.

#4283140 - 07/30/16 09:32 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

It's interesting that the British have access to both the Pup and the Triplane already in the summer of 1916. I remember running into Tripes in the other DID while I was still flying Aviatiks in mid 1916 - not much fun, though my observer did manage to shoot one of them down!

In real life at that time, there were only one or two Pups and Tripes in France for testing purposes. They didn't become operational in large numbers until much later in the year, and the Tripe only in early 1917.

Excellent reports and great pics everybody! I've been taking a break from DID flying because of excessive heat, but I should get back to business next week as the weather cools down. smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4283155 - 07/30/16 12:56 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Hasse, I know I feel a little guilty flying one since they really weren't issued until much later. I have to ask, do you fly outside? Why would it being hot outside affect what you are doing inside? biggrin

Edit: I might add that we only have 4 Pups.

Last edited by Banjoman; 07/30/16 12:57 PM.

#4283158 - 07/30/16 01:05 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Because my house is hot as hell inside. Most of the year it's very cold here and I don't have air conditioning. When a rare heatwave occurs, the result is my house turning practically into a sauna. I don't feel like sitting in front my PC and wearing my TrackIR cap when simply hanging around and doing nothing can make you sweat!

Four Pups is still way too much, especially as they saw no action over the front until late 1916.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
Page 77 of 227 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse