Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4281652 - 07/24/16 10:37 PM Pilot - ATC conversations  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

Could some pilots here could comment on these conversations.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4281656 - 07/24/16 11:07 PM Re: Pilot - ATC conversations [Re: KraziKanuK]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
i think you'll get a lot of different opinions and every single person will think they're right; the reality is not many of those encounters were clear cut.

there seems to be one recurring issue especially at JFK, LAX and a few other big airports in the US: the controllers are using nonstandard phraseology and are speaking too quickly in accented english, it's contributing to a lot of problems with foreign pilots.

many american pilots and atc complain that foreign pilots should speak english better but i'm of the opinion that american controllers should use standard phraseology and speak slowly and clearly. there is NEVER a good time to speak so quickly that people start misunderstanding instructions.

besides that, the ICAO has an english test that non native english speakers have to pass; if they can pass it they are able to understand ATC instructions PROVIDED the instructions are given at a reasonable speed using standard phraseology. IMO there should also be regulations regarding the speed of speech, there should be a minimum and maximum speed for ATC instructions and readback to prevent auctioneer wannabees from getting carried away. lots of youtube videos of near-incidents with foreign pilots getting confused by ridiculously fast talking controllers.

as for american 2 heavy's emergency declaration, people have been fighting over that one for years now. if i remember correctly the captain was given a slap on the wrist, the situation probably could have been handled better by both ATC and the pilot. ATC needs to respect that landing near or above crosswind limits AND with the localizer down is not conducive to safe flying..!

cursing on the airwaves is a serious issue, it's illegal, it can lead not only to revocation of your radio license but also loss of your job and possibly even prison time. the FCC doesn't kid around on the vhf air bands, neither does the canadian equivalent of the FCC.

#4281671 - 07/25/16 01:22 AM Re: Pilot - ATC conversations [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Don't know much about ATC commands, but I've heard and seen guys on the radio drop F-bombs when talking to us or us to planes. It isn't common, but I guess soldiers just can't drop cussing from conversations.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4281755 - 07/25/16 12:28 PM Re: Pilot - ATC conversations [Re: Timothy]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Originally Posted By: Timothy
Don't know much about ATC commands, but I've heard and seen guys on the radio drop F-bombs when talking to us or us to planes. It isn't common, but I guess soldiers just can't drop cussing from conversations.

I wonder if this falls under a Military ruleset?

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4281777 - 07/25/16 02:07 PM Re: Pilot - ATC conversations [Re: KraziKanuK]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Most military como is encrypted anyways. Give it enough time someone always starts dropping F bombs. But that does not mean they are throwing insults, F*** is a punctuation. When it gets over general frequencies that is not good. I remember one wacko insult fest between military convoys in the same battle space. But that is all I can remember for real world stupidity. And its a different animal than this.

#4282052 - 07/26/16 12:38 PM Re: Pilot - ATC conversations [Re: KraziKanuK]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Listen to this crap and tell me it's appropriate for a controller working at LAX. Utter nonsense.

I built a successful business training Japanese and Korean pilots how to deal with crap controllers like this guy. It's a major problem, American pilots call the guy on his BS but foreign pilots think it's their own fault for misunderstanding and it just reduces safety for everyone involved.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.