Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 33 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 32 33
#4279721 - 07/17/16 02:29 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

And what single malt scotch goodness will you be ordering Robert?
cheers

mmmmm, let's have a dram of Lagavulin 16 from Islay! I feel like something smooth and peaty. Oh, and for educational purposes, a virtual round for all! So let's raise our glasses to the new lads, Slàinte gu soírraidh

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 07/17/16 02:30 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4279725 - 07/17/16 02:50 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Excellent choice Sir! As an aside, I still regret not having managed the jaunt across to Islay during one of my trips to Scotland in the mid-1970s. I sooooooo wanted to tour the distilleries there. I did however visit Aberfeldy and Glengoyne, so there is that.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4279735 - 07/17/16 03:15 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Excellent Choice Sir! As an aside, I still regret not having managed the jaunt across to Islay during one of my trips to Scotland in the mid-1970s. I sooooooo wanted to tour the distilleries there. I did however visit Aberfeldy and Glengoyne, so there is that.

OT for this thread I guess, and I am with you on one point at I have a Glengoyne 17 bottled in 2006 in my cellar at the moment (sherry and bourbon cask maturation with Light pear fruitiness, nutty character and malty nose dry finish and medium bodied) It would definitely be a distillery to visit on my list.

I suspect with your library and my cellar, many enjoyable nights could be spent in fine pleasure!

(System_Specs)

#4279736 - 07/17/16 03:26 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Indeed Robert, indeed! But as you say we are getting a bit OT. So, with that said, we now return you all to our regularly scheduled barmyness.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.

#4279739 - 07/17/16 03:33 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Belly up to the bar! Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout! TWO, one for each hand, for everyone including the mascots! cheers

#4279745 - 07/17/16 03:55 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

mmmmmmmmmmm, a full-bodied ale - you need one in each hand so as not to tip over. Welcome ARUP!

Oh, by the way, first to buy drinks is also first to meet the cricket bat. ROBERT!

[Linked Image]

#4279750 - 07/17/16 04:36 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

(Breathy voice from under the table): "Isley single malt?! Stout?! Hmm...!!!"

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4279792 - 07/17/16 10:01 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Ah, the cricket bat! Yes!, well may I suggest the executive all line up now and I will toss the bat to Lou as a starter. Upon the catch, each man is to wrap his hand around the bat handle just above Lou's and the last man to place his on the cap get the first go round!

Soooo, without further ado, Lou here it comes!

(System_Specs)

#4279798 - 07/17/16 10:43 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

hello old friend

[Linked Image]

#4279806 - 07/18/16 12:15 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Whew! I was worried for a moment about that bat! (Takes a pull in turn from each mug) Seems I new this kinky girl....

#4279807 - 07/18/16 12:18 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: ARUP]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: ARUP
Whew! I was worried for a moment about that bat! (Takes a pull in turn from each mug) Seems I new this kinky girl....

He! He!

(System_Specs)

#4279926 - 07/18/16 05:16 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: ARUP]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted By: ARUP

Overheard at BOC bar...

"I say, what is the difference between erotic and kinky?"

"Simple, old boy. Erotic is when your lover tickles you with a feather. Kinky is when she uses the whole chicken."

#4280067 - 07/19/16 07:51 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

chili

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4280080 - 07/19/16 10:36 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Beanie Offline
Beanie  Offline

Canterbury, Kent
An inspecting Brigadier decides to visit the psychiatric ward of an army hospital. He wants to show an interest in the unit and asks the nurse how they decide if a soldier needs to be admitted as a patient or just seen in out patients.

"Well," says the QA psychiatric nurse, "we fill the bath with water and give the squaddie a mess tin and a spoon. He is then asked to empty the bath."

"Ah I see!" exclaims the Brigadier, "A normal person would use the mess tin because it is larger and will take less time to empty the bath."

"No Sir" sighs the psychiatric nurse, "A sane person would pull the bath plug. I'll get your bed ready Sir!"

Clearly the wine is starting to get to me - more wine!!!

'Der Fuchs'

BOC Member
'BWOC BWOC BWOC'
#4280104 - 07/19/16 03:01 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
I have long been an admirer of this august company of addled aviators. I have not previously applied because I did not feel that my eccentricity was quite up to the standards of the BOC.

Yes, my girlfriend repeatedly tells me that I am quite barmy (actually, she tells me that I'm mad). I think that she is just being nice.

For your consideration, my resume; my history in aviation simulation.

Click to reveal..

WW1
Wings - The first flight sim of any sort that I had. I flew the entire campaign at least twice. I remember trying to impress a girlfriend with my flying skill. She wasn't impressed, and rightly so - I was flying entirely on the flat and making no use of altitude whatsoever. I think that is what she was getting at.

Knights of the Sky - In this excellent game I became something of an ace hunter. You would hear that an ace had been spotted at such and such an aerodrome. If you flew there you would have to fight two or three waves of enemy scouts, but then the ace would appear.

Red Baron - Briefly, before getting
Red Baron II - I loved this game. It was me looking for a replacement for RB2 that led me to OFF.

Flying Corps Gold - Pretty good game, but the campaign was too short.

Dawn Patrol - I owned this for a few hours. The disc was faulty and the shop didn't have a second copy, so I never got to play it.

Other Combat
Dogfight, 80 years of aerial warfare Had scenarios from WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, the Falklands and Syria. I liked the first two best (you probably guessed that here).

CFS, CFS2 and CFS3 They were each good at first, but all got boring pretty quickly. I think that the campaigns of Wings and Knights of the Sky spoiled us for simpler versions.

Il2 Sturmovik, through to 1947 Excellent flight simulation.

Rowan's Battle of Britain I must admit, I had real trouble with controlling aircraft in this game. I don't know if that makes it realistic or just impossible.

B17, the mighty 8th What a campaign! Great fun. I didn't fly in the pilot's seat much. This game was for channelling my inner Yossarian.

Fighter Ace and it's WW1 version that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of I remember a fellow called CatKnight showing me a thing or two about energy fighting. I don't know if it was our CatKnight, but how many can there be?

Non Combat.
Flight Simulator 98, 2000, 2002, A Century of Flight and X ACOF was my favourite.
In former times I have been a pilot for three different virtual airlines.
I have tried 3 times to fly from England to South Africa. Twice in a Cessna, once in the Vickers Vimy! I never got further than the Sudan. Africa, it seems is a very large place.

Most of my addon aircraft are pre1940, including a Taube, a Dolphin and a DH9.

Prior to DiD, my favourite use of OFF/WOFF time was trying to survive Bloody April in a Fee.

With DiD, my AARs have tended to go on the side of historical fiction. This has led to me extending my library in the aviation section to include several out of print books. On one occasion I went to Leeds to spend a day in the archives there because the papers of one of my DiD squad mates, Maurice Le Blanc Smith were there, and his little dog too.

I have long had a belief that the music of a time period evokes the 'feeling' of the time. Since the days of RB2, I have been as likely to hum 'Kitty the Telephone Girl' or 'The Dying Aviator' as anything in the charts.

All very mad. But is it barmy? I submit it to you gentlemen to decide.

#4280123 - 07/19/16 03:39 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Maeran, your historical fiction, which is 1st rate, would make you Barmy enough in my book. As we say in Southeast USA, "your not mad, just a little touched!"

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4280132 - 07/19/16 04:14 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: MFair]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: MFair
Maeran, your historical fiction, which is 1st rate, would make you Barmy enough in my book. As we say in Southeast USA, "your not mad, just a little touched!"

I say take him to the bar and lets begin the ceremonies! biggrin

(System_Specs)

#4280337 - 07/20/16 12:36 PM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Aaaaaaah, the ceremonies - yes indeed Robert, let's. As per our illustrious traditions, each new initiate will place themselves upside down upon the wooden school chair, perched atop a precarious pile of furniture in the Mess, with the soot-encrusted soles of their flying boots pressed firmly against the ceiling. Vice President Dej, or in his stead Robert, (or for that matter any other senior member who wishes), shall then give each initiate three whacks with the cricket bat, following which the initiate shall recite the words, "Oooh Matron! Is that a dodo in my trousers?", in an octave higher than his normal speaking voice. Upon descending from the perch each new member shall then be given a glass of Warsteiner which they will raise in salute to our assembly, saying "Per dementia ad astra!", at which we shall all down our drink in one.

Assume the position!

[Linked Image]

#4280596 - 07/21/16 11:31 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

RAF.........priceless collection of dotty Dicta

#4280597 - 07/21/16 11:36 AM Re: The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

We have our next victim!

[Linked Image]

Page 13 of 33 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 32 33

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse