Hop To
#4278592 - 07/13/16 02:34 AM A Fantastic Night WOFF  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Hi Chaps!

I had the distinct pleasure of diving into a full evening's worth of WOFF and I had to share the experience!

I'm flying a 1918 German campaign with Jasta 53 in the Marne. Bruno Stachel of Erding is trying to stay alive in the closing year of the First World War. It's been a rocky start with Bruno, with a series of missions scrubbed due to bad weather. He's also had some run ins with French SPAD XIIIs. Fighting against them in an old Pfalz DIII has left him feeling demoralized, as the enemy machines can stay above him and away from him, all while attacking at their discretion.

Tonight, or rather I should say, this morning at Dawn, Bruno Stachel had his big day. Here is his report.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our flight took off at Dawn to head over the enemy lines on Balloon Busting duty. The morning was clear, with broken clouds and very very cold. I hunkered down in the cockpit and tried to keep warm on the flight over. As we passed over the enemy positions, I could see our lines being shelled yet again by the French.

Then, at a quarter past 7, we reached the enemy observation balloon about 2KM behind the enemy lines. I spotted the balloon first, and while the rest of my flight maintained their position, I dived for the balloon! I have had two kill claims rejected already in my first week. Herr Hauptmann keeps reminding me: "Unconfirmed by Army means Unconfirmed!" Today will be different!

The balloon is glowing in the early sunrise as the wind screams through the wires of my Pfalz. I check my guns and as the gas bag grows larger in my sights, I squeeze the triggers. I fire a long burst, and then another. Despite my instincts imploring me to release the firing triggers for fear of jamming my guns, I will not be denied! One more long burst and the enemy balloon explodes! The heat from the blast fills the cockpit as I fly through the debris and pray there is nothing to hit on the way through the explosion!

I glance over my shoulder at the fire and see the rest of my flight still in position! Perhaps they let the lone lunatic do the work this morning!

As I banked for our lines, I could hear enemy fire hurling past my machine, piercing the air and a few times, the wood of my own aeroplane! I kept my head low and maintained a high speed. As I looked behind me, I could make out two French SPAD's - the curse of my existence these last few weeks! The French can stay higher, run away faster, and attack me with impunity. I saw my fellow flier, Fritz Blumenthal engaged with one of the SPADs. Perhaps together we can bring the Frenchman down!

I turned, and for what felt like an eternity Blumenthal, the enemy, and I circled wildly around each other - all while plummeting from the sky towards the earth. The enemy gunners silent if only for now - not wanting to hit their own. We each take our man and chance our arm.

Blumenthal scares the Frenchman into a mistake. He pulls up and levels off for a moment. It's all the opportunity I need!

I turn and fire a long burst into the SPAD which lurches in the sky like a wounded bird. He waggles his wings and begins to try and turn again. Before he can, I fire another burst into him, hitting across the upper wing and into the cockpit. The pilot tires to turn, but loses his machine. I almost follow him in! Before I nearly collide with the trees that took the Frenchman, I managed to gain altitude and save the plane!

Blumenthal and I head back over our lines - our work done for the day. The sights on the way home were almost serene.

Upon my return home, I file away my claims - my heart in my throat as I know this time, this time for certain, those kills are mine!

The next morning I awake to find out the good news!

We've lost one of our fellow pilots on our mission - a new replacement for an officer we lost last week. But now, I know I can bring down the enemy...
---------------------------------------------

This mission was the epitome of everything I've loved about WOFF since I started playing Phase 2 a decade ago! The immersion is second to none. No other game can allow me to play and then immediately draft a story about the events I just saw! Even in v2, the lighting and shadow, the depth of field, the color that almost makes you feel the cold of a January mission (even while the July heat swelters outside); the litany of these details makes it the most engrossing game I've ever played.

Well done OBD! It's nights like this that I look forward to each time I sit down to play this wonderful sim that you've worked so hard to create!

Cheers!
cheers

#4278622 - 07/13/16 07:01 AM Re: A Fantastic Night WOFF [Re: CaptSopwith]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Nice report. Love the sunrise screenshots too. Congrats on the confirmations. Hope Bruno gets a DVII to fly soon!

#4278663 - 07/13/16 01:28 PM Re: A Fantastic Night WOFF [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great report and beautiful pics Captain. I agree totally about the immersion in this incredible sim.
I'm going to have to get to my local library to use their printer and get Lou's fantastic maps printed out.
After that I'm going "full real" and knock my immersion upto a whole new level.
Always love Dawn and dusk screenies..thanks again cheers

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4278783 - 07/13/16 08:46 PM Re: A Fantastic Night WOFF [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Jammer28 Offline
Jammer28  Offline

Houston, Texas
I enjoyed reading your report and the screenshots. The Pfalz DIII may have been inferior to it's contemporaries, but it's my favorite German plane. It flies heavy for sure but I love it's looks.

#4279612 - 07/16/16 07:58 PM Re: A Fantastic Night WOFF [Re: CaptSopwith]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed my write up of my mission the other night. I agree Jammer, there is something about the Pfalz that I like - and it can hold its own in a dive when need be. Looking forward to getting back to more flight time soon. RL just gets busier and busier!

#4279617 - 07/16/16 08:30 PM Re: A Fantastic Night WOFF [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Beanie Offline
Beanie  Offline

Canterbury, Kent
Excellent report - let us know how the other missions go?

'Der Fuchs'

BOC Member
'BWOC BWOC BWOC'

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM