Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4277203 - 07/08/16 01:37 PM Re: Flying Real or Full Real [Re: cptroyce]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: cptroyce
I as well, always fly the way you describe "full real"; that's it.

The longer I fly with no contact and none detected by myself, the more "nervous" I become. It's always been very,very, immersive!

Cptroyce, that is exactly the immersion that I was trying to convey and what I love about it. The unknown so to speak. thumbsup

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4277248 - 07/08/16 02:39 PM Re: Flying Real or Full Real [Re: MFair]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: MFair
...some days I come home to one I don't know.

That's normal, Mark - women seem to have "tidal emotions".
When there is a low tide or a spring tide, then it is the duty of us men,
to try to make them feel so, that they can recognise themselves again (...and we too...).
I said it's 'normal' - didn't say it's 'easy'... biggrin

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4277294 - 07/08/16 04:46 PM Re: Flying Real or Full Real [Re: MFair]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
I try to go full real, if my flying time is limited I will sometime accelerate to the front. When I accelerate more than 4X with non-DiD pilots, I occasionally use labels and switch them off once the enemy gets closer than 7 NM. That way I'm not shot down before I can kill the time compression.

I never use the in-flight map. Navigating with Lou's map is half the fun. Getting totally lost and having to find your way is real immersion.

#4277419 - 07/08/16 09:47 PM Re: Flying Real or Full Real [Re: MFair]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Well I have to admit, I do not fly full real.
When I first started nine (9) months ago I needed all the aids possible and was darn glad the options were there to lead me along the way.
Now I am starting to turn stuff off though I usually "cheat" somewhere along the flight.

Still I find WOFF to be extremely challenging and with more than enough immersive to suit my immediate needs.
Nice that I will still have room to grow into it...

I use TC a lot.
I use labels off / on, though starting to use dots more often.
I try to use the HUD only when landing (Speed, Compass, Altitude)
I still like that darn bracketing - though I do not use the cone.
I use the TAC when leading a mission just to keep track of everyone.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4277456 - 07/09/16 12:29 AM Re: Flying Real or Full Real [Re: MFair]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
There is one thing I really miss but unfortunately it was a "once in a lifetime experience."
I used to fly with a lot of aids - or more properly I wasn't afraid to pull them up if needed.
Then one day - after doing a lot of reading on first person pilot accounts - plus some friendly badgering from Lou and others - I decided the heck with them all (except the map) - and removed all their settings from my joystick.

I will never forget how cool that first flight was knowing I had no aids and couldn't pull them up even if I wanted too - it really felt as close as I will get to being a real WW1 pilot. Another interesting side-feeling was how "alone" I felt even in formation and that I was really "on my own here" and I better keep my head on a swivel if I wanted to avoid becoming another grim statistic.

Unfortunately as I have gotten used to no aids that feeling passed and now I am a jaded veteran I suppose.
Hehe...all sounds a little weird perhaps but it was really cool. Wish I could have that "first time" feeling on every flight!

#4277971 - 07/10/16 11:13 PM Re: Flying Real or Full Real [Re: MFair]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Ahh, thank you all for the encouragement. All aids off now and staying at a fixed zoom one notch in from the default. Desperately trying not to get lost every mission!

Anyone know how to change the default zoom value?

Thanks!

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4277975 - 07/10/16 11:46 PM Re: Flying Real or Full Real [Re: DukeIronHand]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
There is one thing I really miss but unfortunately it was a "once in a lifetime experience."
I used to fly with a lot of aids - or more properly I wasn't afraid to pull them up if needed.
Then one day - after doing a lot of reading on first person pilot accounts - plus some friendly badgering from Lou and others - I decided the heck with them all (except the map) - and removed all their settings from my joystick.

I will never forget how cool that first flight was knowing I had no aids and couldn't pull them up even if I wanted too - it really felt as close as I will get to being a real WW1 pilot. Another interesting side-feeling was how "alone" I felt even in formation and that I was really "on my own here" and I better keep my head on a swivel if I wanted to avoid becoming another grim statistic.

Unfortunately as I have gotten used to no aids that feeling passed and now I am a jaded veteran I suppose.
Hehe...all sounds a little weird perhaps but it was really cool. Wish I could have that "first time" feeling on every flight!

thumbsup know just what you mean.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4278043 - 07/11/16 07:34 AM Re: Flying Real or Full Real [Re: MFair]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: MFair
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand

thumbsup know just what you mean.

Yes, I also - well described, Duke! thumbsup

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4278073 - 07/11/16 10:57 AM Re: Flying Real or Full Real [Re: MFair]  
Beanie Offline
Beanie  Offline

Canterbury, Kent
My introduction to real flying 'DiD, was as a result of discussions between RAF, Olham and Widowmaker - as well as Siggie's DiD campaign many moons ago. It was a change that, I was please that I made. Although I will not forget the terror of my first flight - I kept telling myself it was only a sim, and yet felling that every action I took could result in the untimely death of my pilot, made me have so much more understanding and respect for those that did it for real!

'Der Fuchs'

BOC Member
'BWOC BWOC BWOC'
#4278223 - 07/11/16 06:57 PM Re: Flying Real or Full Real [Re: MFair]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Full real here as well. I try to be very strict on not using any aids at all, even avoiding subtle cheats like switching to 'gunsight' view when shooting or 'zooming' to see a far away object.

One 'cheat' I do allow myself regards the blip switch when flying rotaries ... for me it's too annoying during cruising so I only blip when dogfighting and landing. When cruising, I cheat and use the throttle slider and just pretend I am blipping the whole time.

One amazing benefit of full real is that you don't need to memorize a lot of commands and buttons. You simply look with TrackIR and you fly with the joystick. No need for 'cntrl-alt-this' and 'cntrl-shift-that'. So simple.

#4278234 - 07/11/16 07:16 PM Re: Flying Real or Full Real [Re: 77_Scout]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: 77_Scout
Full real here as well. I try to be very strict on not using any aids at all, even avoiding subtle cheats like switching to 'gunsight' view when shooting or 'zooming' to see a far away object.

One 'cheat' I do allow myself regards the blip switch when flying rotaries ... for me it's too annoying during cruising so I only blip when dogfighting and landing. When cruising, I cheat and use the throttle slider and just pretend I am blipping the whole time.

One amazing benefit of full real is that you don't need to memorize a lot of commands and buttons. You simply look with TrackIR and you fly with the joystick. No need for 'cntrl-alt-this' and 'cntrl-shift-that'. So simple.

Well I would not expect anything else from you Scout. Your posts were one of the main reasons I started flying that way. As others have stated, I wish we could get back that 1st time "alone and terrified" feeling again. But then again, there are a lot of 1st time experiences I wish could be relived. Some not!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM