Hop To
#4276045 - 07/05/16 10:53 AM It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
It's been kind of a tradition the last couple of years to celebrate she_who_must_be_obeyed's birthday in the mountains. And since there is still lots of snow in the Northern Alps we decided to head down to South Tyrol, into the Dolomites.

The drive by car through Southern Germany, Austria and finally into Italy went pretty well, about 6 hours for ~550km, with quite a bit of non-Autobahn roads, especially on the final leg of the trip.

We parked the car at the Talschlusshtte in the Fischleinbodental at ~ 1.300m altitude and started our climb up towards the Bllelejochhtte, 2.528m. Weather was fine, not too hot, perfect for climbing. We got to the refuge at ~ 4 PM and spent the rest of the day relaxing, chatting with the other guests (only 12 beds in that small Htte) and having a few beers. We had a great time at our table with 2 guys from the UK and a couple from Austria. Food was most excellent, some of the finest I've ever had in a refuge that high up the mountains.

Bllelejochhtte, with the mighty Zwlferkofel (3.094m) in the background

Next morning we started on the Sentiero della Pace leading towards the Paternkofel.

The easy fixed rope route winds its way along some amazing scenery and past lots of old fortifications from WW1.

The Paternkofel summit can be seen on the left. It's astonishing to think that this was basically the frontline of some major fighting.

Paternkofel summit (2.744m), view towards the famous Drei Zinnen.

Part of the fixed rope route. Some mountaineers can be seen climbing up on the right side, the route down is on the left side. The route is fairly easy but quite exposed and nothing for someone suffering from fear of heights. wink

After a short pause at the Rifugio Lavaredo we climb down towards the Cengi valley.

Obligatory SimHQ cap self-pic:

Approaching the Zsigmondyhtte, our stay for the second night. Again a fun evening with some great people. Met a couple from the US and decided to walk the next day's route together and give them a ride in our car to the train station at Toblach. The guy didn't know Hefeweizen! Gave him an introduction which I'm sure he won't forget for some time. biggrin

On the legendary Alpinisteig, a route blasted into the rock by Italian Alpini troops in WW1 to act as supply route.

Yep, it's quite steep. Yes, the route leads right through the middle of the cliff. yep

The famous Cross of the Alpini, created by the route running through a narrow gorge

The final ascent to the Elferscharte

And the way down, which was quite difficult. The photo really doesn't do it justice, it's FAR steeper than the pic suggests.

And finally back in the Fischleinbodental.

Was a beautiful tour, we really enjoyed it. Can't praise the Dolomite Alps enough, the scenery is just amazing.

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 07/05/16 10:57 AM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4276055 - 07/05/16 11:35 AM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: Para_Bellum]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Great pics!

I'm still amazed that people managed to have a war up there. What damned conditions to get shot at.

#4276081 - 07/05/16 01:39 PM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Fantastic pics, as always, Para! thumbsup

Actually, I did a tour there too, a couple of years ago. However, when I went, I was not yet fully accustomed to Klettersteiggehen, so I did not find the time to take out my camera and snap pictures. wink It takes some getting used to exposed routes such as these.

The area from the Dreizinnen all the way over to the Marmorlada is IMO the most beautiful mountainous region in the world. Closely followed by the Brenta-Adamello group in the Trentino.

I haven't managed to go on a single tour this year so far, the weather being this unstable and too much other stuff getting in the way. nope

But your pics are very motivating. smile

BTW, it looks like there wasn't much "traffic" on the Steig (which would be a good thing)?

Last edited by Jayhawk; 07/05/16 01:42 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4276089 - 07/05/16 01:57 PM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Yeah, we went Monday to Wednesday, so no weekend traffic and still too early for the German/Austrian/Italian summer vacations. The refuges had opened just 3 days before we arrived.

On the Alpinisteig there were still a couple of snow fields but routes through them had been prepared just a few days earlier.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#4276097 - 07/05/16 02:04 PM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: Para_Bellum]  
semmern Online content
Veteran
semmern  Online Content
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Fantastic!

Your mountains certainly out-mountain ours by a fair margin!

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4276098 - 07/05/16 02:05 PM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: semmern]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: semmern
Fantastic!

Mountains? What are those? wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4276100 - 07/05/16 02:11 PM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: semmern]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: semmern
Fantastic!

"Unfortunately" (as in, it's quite a journey down there, compared to the Bavarian Alps, which can be reached in about an hour from where I live; not because of WWI), those mountains belong to Italy. But they let us use them. smile

But our mountains are quite nice, too. You really need to come down south sometime. yep

Last edited by Jayhawk; 07/05/16 06:02 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4276169 - 07/05/16 05:28 PM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: Para_Bellum]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Awesome photos. Such Beautiful mountains. Read a few stories about WW1 in those mountains and some
statistics were that there were more deaths from Avalanches and freezing to death then actual combat.

Would love to visit this region some time.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4276219 - 07/05/16 08:21 PM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: Para_Bellum]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Awesome pics. I always enjoy your trip pictures.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4276254 - 07/05/16 09:29 PM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Very pretty!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4276549 - 07/06/16 05:58 PM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Thanks guys!

yep

Next trip is already in planning...

#4276550 - 07/06/16 06:00 PM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: Para_Bellum]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Is the SimHQ hat part of your official mountain climbing gear Para? smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4276552 - 07/06/16 06:17 PM Re: It's that time of the year...again... Vol XVII [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Is the SimHQ hat part of your official mountain climbing gear Para? smile

Actually, yes.

I never go mountaineering without a hat, and unless I have to wear a helmet while climbing I always wear my SimHQ cap. It's become sort of a talisman by now. It's also of high quality (been using it for...10 years by now?) and very comfortable to wear.

yep

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.