Hop To
Page 73 of 227 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 226 227
#4273481 - 06/26/16 03:09 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Journal Entry: June 25, 1916
St. Pol-sur-Mer

Well, it finally happened. The day I've been dreading since I was promoted to Squadron Commander. The old man just informed me that I'm to take command of RNAS 3. They've just been formed and are needing an experienced commander to mold them into an effective fighting squadron. I'm both nervous and excited at the same time. On one hand, I'm responsible for the lives of these men and now my mistakes have real consequences and on the other hand, I can now fully implement my ideas on successful scout tactics that I've been honing for the last six months. We shall see what the future holds as I begin my new command.

Last edited by Banjoman; 06/26/16 03:10 AM.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4273508 - 06/26/16 09:40 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Banjoman, congrats on making it to the top! (No pun intended). Don't take it personally when your flight seems reluctant to follow your orders to attack. It's been my experience lately that it takes some drastic measure, like being fired upon by the enemy, before the flight decides to engage. Until then, you will be the only one attacking, no matter how many times you give the command. Or am I the only one being ignored by the rest of the squadron?

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4273526 - 06/26/16 01:18 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Fullofit, I know what you mean. Next time it happens to you turn on the Activity Label and you will see that they are probably still in Transit mode. I don't know why that happens but it has happened to me more than once.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the latest status report.

#4274091 - 06/28/16 11:02 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

The Diary of August Ege.

FFA 71. Metz - Frescaty.

Dienstag, 29.II.1916, 1930 Uhr.

This week has been one of the busiest of my whole life! Only the first few weeks of the war can be compared to what we've experienced here in the Verdun sector ever since the offensive was finally launched on February 21st. At the Etappen-Kraftwagen-Park 5, we were terribly busy dealing with all kinds of mechanical problems and breakdowns that our lorries had to endure in the first month of the war. Now my work as a pilot is very different, though just as busy.

The start of the operation was delayed for a whole week because of awful weather conditions. The constant wind, snow and sleet also prevented most of our flight operations. We were quite frustrated by this bad luck, but finally in the morning of the 21st at 0715 hours, a massive artillery bombardment was opened against the French positions around Verdun. It was quite something! I've never witnessed such a terrible storm of steel. Hundreds of our guns poured their deadly shells into the Verdun salient for no less than ten hours!

Our Abteilung has been flying in support of the heavy artillery batteries of 5. Armee almost without pause for nine days now. Every day our Aviatiks spend hours registering the hits of the big guns and directing their fire where it's needed the most. This constant flying is exhausting for our men, but it's even harder for our machines. As I'm writing this, two of our Aviatiks are temporarily out of action for lack of engine spare parts. In spite of these troubles, we're all in good spirits and hopeful of finally seeing a real penetration - maybe a complete breakthrough - of the front here.

Tomorrow we'll be flying in support of III. Korps near Ornes, which they captured on February 25th. Now they are pushing towards the big fortress at Douaumont and need all the support they can get!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4274148 - 06/28/16 02:09 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

George griffin is dead. single bullet from an Aviatik gunner.

I don't know if I'm more frustrated or depressed, but either way, I don't feel like coming up with yet another pilot name right now. Carry on, boys!

#4274188 - 06/28/16 03:46 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Sorry to hear that Loftyc, we'll keep your seat warm when you want to rejoin us.

#4275094 - 07/01/16 11:31 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Hasse]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hasse
Raine, this is a fun campaign to fly. My pilot is just about to become involved in the battle of Verdun. I picked his Abteilung with that offensive in mind!

I was looking forward to flying during the Somme. Not to be....

#4275115 - 07/01/16 01:19 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
You still can, but with just another guy.

#4275132 - 07/01/16 02:28 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Here are February News of the World for Intrepid Fliers:

February 1
The Norwegian Government prohibited all foreign submarines from using their territorial waters.
February 2
Boris Vladimirovich Sturmer replaced Ivan Longinovich Goremykin as Prime Minister of Russia.
February 8
British Government requested naval assistance from Japan.
The French armoured cruiser Admiral Charner was torpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat near Beirut.
February 9
A Combined British-Belgian naval force sank the German gunboat Hedwig von Wissmann during the Battle for Lake Tanganyika.
February 10
The Military Service Act became operational in Britain.
The German Government advised the United States that all defensively armed merchant ships would be considered as belligerents from 1 March onwards.
February 11
The light cruiser HMS Arethusa struck a mine and sank off Felixstowe on the east coast of Britain.
February 12
Russian forces began an attack on the Turkish city of Erzurum during the Erzurum Offensive.
February 14
The Allied powers issued a guarantee of eventual independence and indemnification of Belgium.
February 15
An agreement was reached between the British Government and Bakhtiati chieftains for cooperation in protection of Persian oilfields.
February 16
After days of fighting in deep snow and intense cold, Russian forces captured Erzurum from the Ottoman Army.
The War Office took over responsibility for the air defense of London and the rest of Britain from the Admiralty.
February 17
The last German forces left southern Cameroons for internment in Spanish territory.
February 18
The final remaining German post in Mora surrendered to British and French troops in the West African Campaign in Cameroon.
February 19
Brigadier General Tighe was succeeded by Lieutenant General Jan Smuts in command of British forces in East Africa.
February 21
The longest battle of the war, the Battle of Verdun, began with a German offensive on hilly terrain north of the city of Verdun-sur-Meuse in north-eastern France.
February 22
French troops counterattacked at Verdun. The Germans captured Haumont Wood but the French held Brabant on the Meuse.
February 23
The Portuguese Government seized German steamers in the River Tagus.
February 24
Germans breached the French line at Verdun but were unable to gain an advantage.
February 25
German forces captured the key French position at Fort Douamont on the approaches to Verdun.
February 26
The British Western Frontier Force defeated the Senussi in action at Agagiya in western Egypt.
February 27
Austrian forces captured Durazzo from Italian troops.
February 28
The nucleus of a long-range British bomber squadron was formed to attack German industrial centers.
February 29
Converted ocean liner SS Alcantara was sunk in action against German armed merchant cruiser SMS Greif in North Sea.

(From The Great War - Unseen Archives by Robert Hamilton)

#4275135 - 07/01/16 02:32 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
News of the World for month of June - Warbirds Rising:

June 1
The only large-scale naval engagement of the war, the Battle of Jutland ended with a tactically inconclusive result. While the Royal Navy suffered more losses, the battle effectively ended any threat from the German High Seas Fleet, and British dominance of the North Sea was maintained.
June 2
The Battle of Mount Sorrel took place at Ypres when German forces attempted to capture the high ground around Ypres.
German forces stormed Fort Vaux in the Battle of Verdun.
June 3
The National Defense Act authorised a five-year expansion of the US Army.
The Allied Commander in Thessaloniki ordered all Greek officials out of the town, effectively imposing martial law.
June 4
The Russian Brusilov Offensive began on the Eastern Front.
June 5
TE Lawrence helped the Emir of Mecca in the Arab revolt against Turkish rule in Hejaz.
HMS Hampshire struck a mine off the Orkneys and sank with the loss of nearly all the crew, and Great Britain's war minister, Lord Kitchener.
June 6
The Arab attack on Medina was repulsed by the Turkish garrison.
President Yuan Shikai of China died and was succeeded by Li Yuanhong.
June 7
French troops at Fort Vaux surrendered to the Germans.
June 8
Voluntary enlistment in Britain was replaced by compulsion when the Second Compulsory Service Act came into operation.
British forces occupied Bismarckburg and Belgian troops occupied Usumbura in German East Africa.
June 9
Arab forces captured the city of Jeddah in Arabia.
German forces attacked Kondoa lrangi in German East Africa.
June 10
The New Zealand Government passed the Compulsory Service Bill.
June 11
The Battle of the Strypa began during the Brusilov Offensive.
June 12
Zaleszczyki in Galicia was taken by Russian forces.
June 13
The Battle of Mount Sorrel ended when British and Canadian troops secured the line near Ypres.
June 14
French politician Etienne Clementel presided over the Allied Economic Conference in Paris.
June 15
Paolo Boselli was appointed Italian Prime Minister, following the collapse of the Salandra Government.
June 16
Italian forces began a counter-offensive against Austrian troops in the Trentino.
June 17
French defenders repulsed German attacks on Le Mort Homme at Verdun.
June 18
German flying ace and pioneer Max Immelmann was shot down and killed during aerial combat with a British squadron.
June 19
British and South African troops marched into Handeni in German East Africa.
June 21
The Entente Governments sent a Note to King Constantine demanding Greek demobilisation and a change of Government.
June 22
Alexandros Zaimis replaced Stephanos Skouloudis as Prime Minister of Greece.
June 23
German forces attacked and captured Fort Thiaumont at Verdun.
June 24
Massive preparatory bombardment to destroy German defences began at the Somme.
June 26
The trial of Roger Casement for high treason began.
June 27
The Emir of Mecca issued his Proclamation of Independence from Turkey.
June 28
The Italian cavalry reached Pedescala, north-east of Asiago on the Southern Front.
June 29
Roger Casement was found guilty of high treason and sentenced to death.
June 30
The Battle of the Strypa ended.

(From The Great War - Unseen Archives by Robert Hamilton)

#4275143 - 07/01/16 02:45 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Captain Bruce Wayne is doing well although DH2 is an atrocious machine and if it's not in a straight flight, it spins. It is now March and the weather is ... just as bad as the DH2 itself.

#4275151 - 07/01/16 02:52 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Joy of joys! Lieutenant Bernard Sorelle has now been given the N16 to fly. He and his wingman are the only ones to fly these crates while everyone else, including the lowest rank pilots fly the N17.

#4275423 - 07/02/16 02:43 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Fullofit, I'm confused. I just looked in WOFF and N57 and as of July 2 only the top two ranks are flying the N.16. The lowest rank is still flying the N.11. Did you just have a typo or am I missing something? I want to make sure that I have the correct planes in the survey form.

#4275435 - 07/02/16 03:12 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Journal Entry: July 2, 1916
St. Pol-sur-Mer

I really could not be happier with how my transition to command has worked out. At first, it was rather embarrassing to be constantly asked about my two VCs and my numerous aerial victories. It did not bother me though, I realize that every new and inexperienced pilot needs someone to admire and emulate. As a matter of fact, I believe that is one of the most important responsibilities of a commander, to provide a role model for the men. The fact that I do not deserve their adulation is beside the point.

When I arrived I learned that unlike my previous squadron, RNAS-3 is still a mixed squadron with a small amount of Sopwith Strutters still flying recon/bombing missions. The remainder of our aeroplanes are a mix of Nieuport 10s and 11s. I inquired of the Wing Commander on how long he saw us flying as a mixed squadron and he said we should be completely converted to a scout squadron by August. With that in mind, I decided to try something a little different in regards to the Strutters. I assigned the Strutters to myself and the three other most experienced pilots. This caused much grumbling and grousing, but after I explained the reasoning behind my decision I think the men involved came around to my point of view. In the end, it does not really matter because I am after all, the commander. It occurred to me that for the most part in mixed squadrons the more inexperienced pilots get assigned to the slower two-seaters. What if we changed that and placed the best pilots in the two-seaters? Would that not cause confusion among the enemy pilots? Indeed, so far it has done exactly that. We have flown 8 missions and have had 3 engagements with the enemy. Of those three engagements we have either destroyed the enemy or driven them off damaged. Of course, I should add that the Strutter is a marvelous plane and is quite rugged and maneuverable.

Yesterday, our push at the Somme began. We have not heard anything as to how it is proceeding. I sincerely hope that this is the one push that does the trick and opens up the stalemate.

#4275441 - 07/02/16 03:25 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Wait until you get your third VC! Then it becomes even more awkward! biggrin

Unfortunately the awards system in WOFF could use some improvements. In the other DID, it's great when Lou is acting as the official Gong Fairy. smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4275450 - 07/02/16 03:48 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Journal Entry: March 4, 1916
Bertincourt

The news we keep hearing from Verdun is good and our men are continuing to advance. Could this be the one push that finally leads to victory? That thought is all my men talk about at the dinner table. They are giddy with the thought of possible victory and I don't blame them at all, for I feel the same.

I sometimes feel that our leaders are completely disconnected from reality, today's sortie is a perfect example of what I mean. We awoke to a very heavy snowstorm and the men were fully expecting a day off, but around 8:30 my telephone rings and I was ordered to send the full KEK down around Peronne to protect some supply depot. I informed the general that we were experiencing heavy snowfall and visibility was down to yards. He said the weather was fine where he was and after much yelling on his part he hung up. I informed the men, and there was much grumbling but to their credit they obeyed my orders because they know that I would never order something as foolish as this mission. We took off and amazingly enough we all made it airborne without mishap. We climbed and headed off towards Peronne. The Fokkers are wonderful machines for visibility but they are probably the most uncomfortable machines for the pilot. We sit above that wing and are exposed to all of the elements. I cannot speak for the others, but I was miserable. I was frozen to the bone and my goggles were getting covered by snow and so I was constantly having to wipe them clear. After what seemed like an eternity, we arrived at the supply depot and began our patrol. I knew that this was a waste of time and we would not see a thing, but orders are orders. To my utter amazement, I see two Nieuports emerging from the snow and clouds just to the north of us. I signal the others and we pounce. I believe the Frenchmen were just as surprised as we were and we managed to get the jump on them. One immediately turned for home, and the other I was able to down after a brief skirmish. Feeling that we had done more than enough, I ordered the flight home. Landing was tricky, but everyone managed to get down safely. I don't know about the others, but it took me almost an hour to start feeling warm again. The puzzling thing about today's action is what were those Frenchmen doing out on a day like today? They were the only machines we saw during our entire sortie. It just goes to show that maybe their leaders are as much out of touch with reality as ours.

#4275517 - 07/02/16 08:29 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Atwood Litchfield, Izel Les Hameaux in Flanders - RIP July 1, 1916.

After a rough start, with some atrocious weather since arriving in Flanders, Atwood was starting to find his place.
Action with the Hun's had been extremely spotty what with heavy clouds and rain.
Finally the weather started to clear for a bit and Atwood started to show what he was made of.

It was a fine clear day when he started his afternoon mission, leading a flight of three other aircraft.
Atwood was starting to pick up the flow of things and we had started giving him command of more flights.

This was to be a long flight, patrolling deep behind enemy lines.
There was some enemy sighted while patrolling, but they stayed for away and Atwood elected not so give chase with his inexperienced flight.
Just after returning into friendly territory a lone plane was sighted and Atwood gave the signal to engage.
As the flight got closer, it became apparent that it was an Aviatik.
Pressing on, Atwood's gunner scored some excellent hits causing the enemy to erupt into flames as his wings came off.

Unfortunately it was a pyrrhic victory for Atwood as the enemy gunner had scored a mortal hit on Atwood.
Still Atwood managed to land his plane, at a nearby airfield before succumbing to his injuries, thereby saving the life of his observer.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4275536 - 07/02/16 10:15 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Stache, Atwood didn't sell his life cheaply and that's all we can ask of our DID pilots. Hasse, I'm in complete agreement about the awards system in WOFF. I hate to even mention what awards my DID pilots have earned. Lou offered to do that for us in the Centenary DID but I just thought it would be too much trouble since we've gone so far. If you don't think that is true, I could ask him if he is still interested in doing that.

#4275566 - 07/03/16 01:00 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
Fullofit, I'm confused. I just looked in WOFF and N57 and as of July 2 only the top two ranks are flying the N.16. The lowest rank is still flying the N.11. Did you just have a typo or am I missing something? I want to make sure that I have the correct planes in the survey form.

Hey Banjoman, no typo. Bernard Sorelle is a Lieutenant, hence the switch to the N16.

#4275567 - 07/03/16 01:02 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Stache]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted By: Stache
Atwood Litchfield, Izel Les Hameaux in Flanders - RIP July 1, 1916.

Stache, Alfred Pennyworth - my previous pilot bought it the same way - a lucky final shot from a burning Aviatik. What a way to go.

Page 73 of 227 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics