Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 72 of 227 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 226 227
#4267322 - 06/05/16 07:11 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Right you are, I've been very fortunate with Arthur. Right now I think the reason is the British have the edge in aircraft and until the Albatri show up I think my chances are pretty good. When I'm facing an Albatros in a N11 then I'm not liking my chances.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4267572 - 06/06/16 02:54 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Banjoman, is there a 1916 calendar for Intrepid Flyers? If I were to lose my 1918 DiD pilot, I'd want to have a go.

#4267613 - 06/06/16 04:20 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Raine, just sent you a PM.

#4267625 - 06/06/16 05:00 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Raine, this is a fun campaign to fly. My pilot is just about to become involved in the battle of Verdun. I picked his Abteilung with that offensive in mind!

For a DID pilot coming from the crazy days of 1918, flying in early 1916 is very different. The danger is there, but your chances of survival feel a lot better than in the final months of the war. When I fly missions as August Ege, I don't feel nearly as stressed as in the other DID with Albrecht Niemann! smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4267869 - 06/07/16 11:54 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Finally found some time to write about August too.

To be honest, I enjoy flying his missions more than Albrecht's. I don't have that same feeling of the Grim Reaper watching my every move behind my back! biggrin

The Diary of August Ege.

Dienstag, 8.II.1916. Metz-Frescaty (FFA 71).

Early this morning, the pilots and observers of the Abteilung were ordered by Hauptmann Stelzer to assemble in the briefing room. Stelzer doesn’t like circling around issues and in his usual manner went straight to the point: the big push that everybody has been expecting here in the Verdun sector will commence on February 12th! Naturally, this is all top secret stuff and if one of us happens to go down behind enemy lines, he must say nothing about it to his captors. I still can’t believe that all our preparations could have gone unnoticed by the French; earlier this week we saw some really heavy artillery pieces being transported by rail near Metz. They try to do most of the transportation work in the cover of darkness at night, but it isn’t easy to hide weapons like the Langer Max railway guns!

We’ve been photographing the Verdun area like madmen for several weeks now. Soon we will find out whether our pictures have been of use to the artillery! As usual, I find waiting for big things to start happening hard to bear. I just wish we could start tomorrow and be done with the whole business as soon as possible. Alas, patience has never been my greatest strength!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

#4268129 - 06/08/16 01:59 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Journal Entry: February 8, 1916
Bertincourt

Finally, Major Gundel has seen the wisdom of my suggestion to rid us of our Aviatiks and convert us to a purely hunting group. Yesterday, we accepted delivery of three Fokker E.IIIs for the rest of the men and two Fokker E.IVs for Manfred and myself. I am rather excited at the prospect of the E.IV, it has more power and two machine guns. Lately, I have noticed that our E.IIIs are not quite as dominant as when we first started flying them. I am hoping the E.IV reverses that trend. I was sorry to see our observers go but I'm convinced we can serve the Fatherland better by focusing on the destruction of enemy aeroplanes.

Imagine my chagrin when during this morning's mission I managed to destroy my brand new machine. Manfred and I flew up to the front for a line patrol in our new E.Ivs. It was a beautiful morning and the sector seemed unusually quiet. It wasn't long until I spotted two Nieuports flying along just to the south of us. I signaled Manfred and he was game, so I turned in their direction. They were game as well and I saw them turn towards us. We jockeyed for position for a few minutes and then I dove into them. We swirled around with no one able to gain an advantage until my opponent was able to climb above me and flip over into a steep slashing dive. I managed to jink out of the way but not quick enough to avoid all of his burst which went into my right plane. My bus immediately pitched over into a spin and I forgot all about my opponent as I tried to regain control of my machine. I had the control stick jammed to the left and the rudder jammed full left which brought me out of the spin about a hundred meters above the ground. I had no time to pick a landing spot and I set her down in the first clearing I saw. The landing was rough and she turned turtle as I was coming to a stop. Fortunately for me, the only thing hurt was my pride and then that Frenchman had the gall to fly over and make a rude gesture in my direction. Manfred had seen where I crashed so when he landed he sent a lorry to pick me up and gather the wreckage of my new machine. The men enjoyed my discomfort and I received my fair share of good natured ribbing which I fully deserved.

#4269135 - 06/11/16 12:20 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Taking off from Frescaty for a dawn recon. Notice the Zeppelin hangar.

Reconnaissance over Fort Vaux near Verdun, 11 February 1916. The original start date for Operation Gericht (German offensive at Verdun) was February 12th, but poor weather forced them to postpone the attack until February 21st.

#4269252 - 06/11/16 09:23 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Banjoman, I've never flown the Fokker E.IV in campaign mode - I did only a quick test in free flight. How does it handle? Is it too heavy and clumsy?

February 1916 is just about the last month the Eindeckers have for hunting enemy two-seaters in relative peace. Soon the DH.2 and Nupe 11 make their appearance - and then I'll rather be flying my sturdy Aviatik with two guns than the obsolete Eindecker!

#4269255 - 06/11/16 09:41 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Hasse]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted By: Hasse
Banjoman, I've never flown the Fokker E.IV in campaign mode - I did only a quick test in free flight. How does it handle? Is it too heavy and clumsy?

February 1916 is just about the last month the Eindeckers have for hunting enemy two-seaters in relative peace. Soon the DH.2 and Nupe 11 make their appearance - and then I'll rather be flying my sturdy Aviatik with two guns than the obsolete Eindecker!

Hasse, but ... E.IV has 2 guns just like the Aviatik, only better biggrin

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4269257 - 06/11/16 09:57 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Hasse, you are correct. The only advantage that I've noticed in the E.IV is the twin guns. I thought the more powerful engine would make a difference but I haven't noticed it. I can't believe the Eindekkers were as crappy in real life as they seem to be in WOFF.

#4269302 - 06/12/16 02:18 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
New Warbirds Rising Pilot - Axel Muntz - Completed transfer flight from Koln to Mars La Tour (Verdun)

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4269313 - 06/12/16 04:04 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Welcome Stache, it's good to have a new comrade join us over here in the Centenary DID. Remember to entry your weekly data on Saturdays and then I can include you in the weekly status report. I'm going to add you right now to the status form.

Edit: In case you don't know where the status form is located it is in the Further Missions section on the first page of this thread.

Last edited by Banjoman; 06/12/16 04:07 AM.

#4269369 - 06/12/16 01:46 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Here is the latest status report.

I can't remember if I posted the latest Honor Roll report, so here it is as well.

#4270526 - 06/16/16 12:05 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Journal Entry: February 16, 1916
Bertincourt

Yesterday, we flew our first full KEK sortie and it was a disaster. I led Manfred, Georg and Edgar on a line patrol in the Bapaume area while Josef flew above us as a lookout for trouble. As we began our patrol I noticed a pair of Nieuports lurking about way off in the distance and decided to ignore them because they were so far from our patrol area. We continued with the patrol and it wasn't long until Edgar spotted a pair of Quirks ambling along towards us. It was obvious that they hadn't seen the danger yet and we were able to successfully attack them out of the sun. In spite of our surprise, they still managed to pepper us thoroughly and even lightly wounded Georg in the process. Eventually, the inevitable happened with me downing one of the Quirks and Georg the other. Afterwards, I fired the flare signalling the return to base and we landed without incident. It was then that I realized my horrible mistake, I had lost track of Josef in the excitement of our engagement. It wasn't until I called the local BalIon zug that I found out what happened to Josef. It seems that while we were engaged with the Quirks the Nieuports snuck in and overwhelmed Josef. Yesterday reminded me that as Kommandeur I am not allowed to make mistakes, my mistakes cost men their lives. I will miss Leutnant Mau, he had a wonderful tenor voice and the mess shall suffer because of his absence.

#4271076 - 06/17/16 04:43 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Hey guys, I've had a death in the family so I won't be able to get the report out until sometime next week. I hope everybody is ok with that.

#4271148 - 06/17/16 08:48 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Hi Banjoman,
Sorry for your loss. Worry not. Take care of the family business.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4271278 - 06/18/16 06:32 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Hi Banjoman, condolences re your news. Take care and see you soon.

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4271394 - 06/18/16 07:03 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Banjoman, my condolences as well.

#4271960 - 06/21/16 03:19 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Here's the latest status report. Thanks for everyone's condolences and thanks for everyone's patience, it is appreciated.

#4272831 - 06/24/16 01:20 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Axel has had an inauspicious beginning to his career.
Grounded by weather most of the first week.
Finally gets a short flight in to become familiar with the area.

His third mission was to expand his familiarization and check out the front.
Well, Axel overstayed his welcome, was not paying close enough attention and got jumped by some N11's.
One of them scored some good hits, wounding both Axel, his gunner and their fuel tank.
After some furious escape attempts, diving for the ground, he finally found himself alone and running low on fuel.
Coming up a bit short of friendly territory, he crashed and was captured.
After spending a few days in a Hospital both Axel and his gunner managed to escape and made it back home.

Going to have to wait until July 1st for Axel to fly again.

So started a new pilot

Atwood is doing much better but needs to learn how to turn his FE2b in a fight without stalling...
He was bummed that his first kill was not confirmed, even though it was a flamer.
But somehow his observer turned up dead upon landing - must have had a heart attack.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
Page 72 of 227 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM