Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4265996 - 06/01/16 02:39 PM OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Hello. For those interested, after eight years of work I am announcing the publication of my new book, Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen, Comprehensive Victory Summaries and Combat Statistics, published by Aeronaut books and available worldwide on Amazon.

As seen on the flyer, the book is divided into two volumes. We preferred it to be a single volume but the exigencies of print-on-demand publishing (where a book isn’t physically made until it is ordered) require a 400-page limit, and this book came out to be 474 pages. Thus, rather than delete material—there is no filler to delete, anyway—it required two volumes.

The book is so new I don’t even have my own copy yet—I’ve only seen pdfs—but I can say it contains more information than all five of my previous books combined. If it were up to me I’d just give the thing away—trust me, I’m not making Stephen King money here; even with the cost of the book the profit margin is very low, especially when compensating eight years of hand-written work—but I guarantee the books have value WAY beyond the investment. I pay over a hundred bucks a month for cable TV that provides access to literally hundreds and hundreds of channels—but how much of it do I actually watch? One tenth of one percent? If that? Thus I’m paying a hundred bucks a month for that which I don’t even see. Fifty or a hundred dollars is still fifty or a hundred dollars, I agree, but with these books you’ll see every word, picture, profile, illustration, photograph (several colorized), painting. It’s doubtful you’ll commit everything in the book to memory—I started writing it in the first place because I wanted a personal reference source without having to thumb through ten billion other books, separating the fact from the error as I went—so you’ll turn back to it again and again as necessary for the rest of your life.

Much of the material is new and refutes many tired-yet-still-kicking myths about MvR. I’m not talking the old yarn about Roy Brown shooting him down—surely all those flat-earthers who hung onto that notion realize the world is round by now! wink I mean various details of his victories; the realities of his fight with Hawker; who shot him down 6 July 1917, and the extent of his injury; comprehensive examination of his souvenirs; and a complete debunking of the hyper-exaggerated belief of “post-traumatic stress disorder” and how it “caused” Richthofen to be shot down and killed—that chapter alone is the size of an Osprey book. In fact, the Osprey books I’ve written are 22,000 words each. Combined, Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen contains over 180,000 words, not including photo/illustration/profile captions. Some of the topics and information have been touched upon in my previous books, of course, but with nowhere near the nth degree detail as presented in Inside the Victories. And while there are several excellent books out on Richthofen, nowhere else is “everything you need to know about MvR” contained within a single, go-to reference source.

I certainly don’t expect anyone to buy this. I’m just advising everyone that Inside the Victories now exists. biggrin Once I get my copies I’ll attach a few photos here so you can see what they look like.

Thanks for your time.

#4266007 - 06/01/16 03:13 PM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Just another book on von Richthofen? Yes. And no - not just another.
Not one, where the author uncritically copied or took over the same conclusions
which his predecessors had made, or even old errors or misinterpretations.
And misinterpretations there seem to have been many.

I had the honour to read a good bit of the material during the writing process,
and I can already say so much, that these two books cast many new looks at the
mental condition of Manfred von Richthofen, which most authors before seemed to
have agreed on had gone bad after his head injury.

With painstaking precision and patience over a period of more than 8 years,
and with a view unirritated by even high-ranking names of previous historians
on the subject (authors whom JFM regards highly) James F. Miller shows intelligent
striking, convincing chains of evidence, which lead to new conclusions.

Many of the parts of the evidence had always been accessible before, but were
not understood properly, in the whole logical context and correct sequence of time.
Others were disregarded before, wrongly or overvaluated.
The author never says, anything was not this way but another, without producing
a conclusive reasoning, and a flawless chain of evidence, which can be followed
by everyone - since there ARE so many books on von Richthofen.

Apart from these interestingly new aspects, the two volumes seem to contain ALL
available data on each of the 80 victories von Richthofen achieved (all but
maybe the shoesize of the victims biggrin ).

I dare to say, that these two volumes could very well become cornerstones in the
field of "Richthofen research"; and that some historians may have to correct
some - if not many - of their viewpoints.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4266008 - 06/01/16 03:14 PM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Thank you for posting Jim. I will be purchasing these pronto. Richthofen is the reason for my love of WWI aviation since I was 10 years old. Thanks again.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4266033 - 06/01/16 05:02 PM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Wow that sounds superb Jim- I hope it does well. I don't think anything can compensate for 8 years but it will be a reference for years to come I am sure.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4266106 - 06/01/16 10:25 PM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

Wow..This looks like history heaven for WW1 aviation enthusiasts. I read "Under The Guns Of The Red Baron" many years ago and enjoyed it much; actually analysed much of the data from the text.

Your volumes look like they are going to be the "gold standard" going forward, for certain!

#4266120 - 06/02/16 12:09 AM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Thanks everyone, very kind of you! cheers Hopefully the books justify your faith.

cptroyce, parts of Inside the Victories are similar to UTGotRB, whereas each victory is detailed. But the focus is much more on Richthofen and his involvement than UTG's focus on RFC crews, although they too are covered a bit in ITV. And with UTG being nearly twenty years old, I've had that long to further research the subjects and fine-tune details, organize facts, debunk myths, correct errors, etc. But UTG is certainly listed in the bibliography and I encourage folks to pick it up if you've not done so, if nothing else for the RFC crew biographies.

#4266133 - 06/02/16 01:30 AM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Both are on my list to get. wouldn't miss 'em for the world.

I do have a question though if I may. Von Richthofen started flying his red Albatross in April 1917? Did he ever fly an 'all red' Albatross? Or was it only the fuselage's that were painted red. And we all his Albatross fighters pained red from April onwards?

Cheers. smile

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#4266147 - 06/02/16 02:36 AM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Hi, PipsPriller. Richthofen began flying a red Albatros all the way back in January 1917! He refers to the color in his combat reports of that month. To my eyes it looks as if his Le Petit Rouge Alb had a red lower wing by April 1917 but the upper wing always remained factory camo. I think the only entirely red Albatros--fuselage/tail/wings--was perhaps Alb D.V 1177/17. This is based on circumstantial and photographic evidence. He describes 4693/17 as having at one point a "red body" but doesn't mention the wings. The plane he flew in early July he described as having its "hood, tail, decks [wings] red." But that was likely the plane in which he was shot down, and thus the body was not painted. It's interesting how he had either the wings red or the fuselage red, but rarely both.

As far as his Albs after April, all of them had at least some red on them. Well, most of them. It is believed he flew Lübbert’s machine occasionally, and that was blue and yellow. But his own planes had some red on them in varying degrees. Although Alb DIII 789/17, I don't know. There is no description for that plane in his combat report, and I don't know of a photo that shows that plane definitively. (There may be one, and probably is one somewhere, I just don't know about it yet.) It arrived in Jasta 11 after MvR went on leave in May and he didn't fly it until he returned in June, scoring with it on the 18th of that month. Purely a guess on my part but I can't imagine that a brand new war machine was left to sit around six weeks unflown while MvR was back in Germany--SOMEone else had to be flying it during that time, and MvR just used that machine when he returned in June. I can't say it was MvR's plane, exclusively. Could have been, but I don't know yet. Thus, I don't know how it was painted, so in the book I only used a profile of it in factory markings, although it seems likely it was at least painted with Jasta 11's identifying red struts, etc.

Clear as mud, huh? The new book(s) get into all sorts of nth degree detail like that, so they'll be even muddier! biggrin

#4266156 - 06/02/16 03:43 AM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Thanks Jim, really appreciate the indepth answer. Hadn't realised that Manfred had started to paint his planes as early as January '17.

You are a fountain of information! smile

It could be my memory playing tricks on me, but I thought you were planning to bring out a book covering all the various aeroplanes that Manfred flew. Would this be the book? Would that be covered in this 2 volume set?

Cheers
Jim

ASWWIAH Member
#4266164 - 06/02/16 05:02 AM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Hey, Jim. Through the years there have been many project ideas bandied about and although I can't remember discussing a book about MvR's planes specifically, there might have been talk about that at one time. Lance Bronnenkant's recent (and excellent!) Richthofen book discusses his airplanes, and he's the one who figured out that MvR occasionally flew Alb DIII 2006/16. Seems MvR often just grabbed the first plane on hand so with a lot of his early victories we can't even be sure which plane he was flying at the time! It wasn't until about the time of JG1's formation that MvR began to consistently ID his airplane serial numbers in his combat reports.

Here's a link to Lance's MvR book. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Max-Airmen-A...nce+bronnenkant

Inside the Victories covers a lot of ground. Vol I contains an brief biography from childhood until first credited victory. It then details every victory from the first until his wounding in July. Each victory includes MvR's combat reports, RFC reports, German Armee reports, details on the planes (make, model, subcontractor, markings, etc), participants, fates (WiA, KiA, etc), and many notes at the end to explain various interesting details and aspects of each victory. Each victory contains a section on statistics. Each victory is compiled statistically. For instance, to pick something random, Victory 41 (RE8 A3190) was the 9th of 17 April two-seater victories, the 20th of 33 1917 two-seater victories, the 27th of 39 pre-wound victories, and the 27th of 45 total two-seater victories. That's just the tip of stats for that victory so, in total, there are hundreds of stats--hell, thousands. I know it took bloody long enough to compile, cross-reference, and quadruple check it all!

After the 11th victory there is a long discussion of the MvR/Hawker battle, largely culled from an article I wrote years ago for Over the Front. Part of that has appeared in other books, but ITV contains the full information, including all the charts and nth degree minutia not found in my other books. After the 57th victory there is a discussion of his wounding. Same as with the Hawker discussion, some of this has appeared elsewhere but not to the degree contained within ITV. Oh, I forgot to mention that for each victory there is an associated color profile of either MvR's known plane flown, or the possible planes flown, as well as colors/markings info. This sometimes get redundant, with the same profile appearing time and again, but I wanted this book to be partly a reference book and I didn't want the reader to have to hunt down the appropriate profile. I wanted it to be right there with the victory.

Volume II picks up at Victory 58, post-wound, and continues until his final victory. Afterwards there is a very lengthy discussion regarding the state of MvR's physical and mental wherewithal from wounding until the end of his life. Without letting the cat out of the bag, I'll just say I strongly disagree with the popular notion MvR was a shell-shocked man struggling through each day to carry on. There was a very brief time of that, just after his wounding, but otherwise this notion has been VERY exaggerated. I not only refute this notion but prove otherwise. Many, many, many things people think they know about MvR, from having read about them for decades, will be stripped bare and redressed with historical accuracy. After that section there is a chapter dedicated to MvR's souvenirs that includes descriptions of the old Richthofen museum, lists of contents, lists of all serial numbers, etc. Also, it contains a sidebar written by Stephen Lawson with his thoughts on what happened to the collection of MvR souvenirs. After that is another long chapter of stats, in which each month is broken down and examined and compared to every other month. After that there is a discussion of MvR's gunnery, then all his credited victories listed chronologically, then via serial number, then via make/model, then via squadrons. After that are more stats in each of the planes MvR flew during victories, and then lastly all the mentions of MvR I could find in various RFC Communiques. Throughout all this in both volumes are hundreds of captioned photos.

So, it's cliché to say, but these things are packed with info. A lot is very detailed--like the stats--but other things are broader and easier to digest, like the discussion about PTSD. I think there is a good blend of need to know and nice to know in the books. Hopefully others will agree.

It's late here and I'm about to hit the sack, so hopefully all that wasn't too rambling. Forgive me, if so.

#4266169 - 06/02/16 05:32 AM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Spectacular detail Jim. No other word for it. Really looking forward to pouring over both volumes when I get them! smile

ASWWIAH Member
#4266170 - 06/02/16 05:55 AM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

It's interesting how PTSD was the focus of discussion, while many other psychological disorders were diagnosed both in pilots and soldiers during WW1. I've read that pilots had unique stressful conditions which were not present in any other branch due to high altitude (low oxygen) flying. In addition, pilots sometimes suffered from hysteria which could be amplified during dogfights or other stressful situations.

In one article inside the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, combat neuroses was divided into hysteria, neurasthenia, and transient psychosis. This lead to symptoms of nightmares, depression, insomnia, etc...

I don't think any soldier (or pilot) is immune to suffering from any type psychological disorders especially if the environment is hostile enough or they have a predisposition due to these risk factors. What I'm trying to say is that MvR could have had another disorder which was amplified due to combat stress.

#4266172 - 06/02/16 06:46 AM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

...or maybe he had no such obvious disorder at all?
Read the books, I say - you may be surprised.

#4266275 - 06/02/16 02:08 PM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Wow Jim. Really nice stuff! It's definitely a must for anyone's library. A good read with a good beer, works wonders in my life!

Best of luck on sales, and thanks for spending the countless hours you did to make this happen!

James
'OvS'

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4266290 - 06/02/16 02:21 PM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

And here I thought the film The Red Baron already answered all the questions one might have about the man! biggrin

Looking forward to getting the books! smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4266301 - 06/02/16 03:06 PM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
Just ordered my two volumes. I have quite a few such books, but Jim is a respected author and valued member of this forum, so it goes without saying - these two labours of love are a must for any serious WW1 fan.

Way to go JFM yep

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4266304 - 06/02/16 03:19 PM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Thanks, gents! cheers

OldHat, for all we know MvR could have had bad gas, too, but it didn't cause him to be shot down 21 April 1918. wink But seriously, what the PTSD discussion in the book does is completely refute the belief that at the end of his life MvR had constant headaches, constant nausea, flew regardless of both, didn't want to see or interact with anybody, and that all this caused him to "lose situational awareness" on 21 April and uncharacteristically chase a plane across the lines, supposedly "violating" his combat dicta, and be shot and killed because of it. Not a scintilla of such belief is accurate--and for the record, at one time years ago I believed it all, too! Just like I at one time believed Roy Brown shot him down, and that Woodbridge shot him on 6 July. But I follow evidence and where it takes me, and in this case MvR was not a mental wreck in April 1918. Anything BUT! And using the same evidence that has been used to claim he was such a wreck--there is a very limited source for this evidence, it only comes from two things--I cross referenced it with timelines and actions and photographs and anecdotes and show what has happened: a very brief time shortly after being wounded has been transferred and extended chronologically to the end of his life. HOW that happened is also part of the chapter.

Being devil's advocate, let's say MvR was suffering from PTSD. He had none of the symptoms, but let's just say he did. If so, he did not have it to any greater extent than anyone else, and it did not "cause" his death 21 April 1918. It's really that simple.

Hasse, I've still not seen that movie. Before I went to the theater to see Flyboys I received some advice to "park my brain under the seat." I did, and thus enjoyed the movie. If nothing else the gun sounds in the theater were awesome. Felt bad for that Gotha crew, though. Anyway, maybe I should park my brain again for Red Baron. It'd be a real struggle, but I should try. After all, I absolutely LOVE Revenge of the Red Baron. If I can like that, I can like anything!

What? What was that? You say you've never heard of Revenge of the Red Baron? Well, here's a couple minutes of its absurdity:

#4266328 - 06/02/16 05:13 PM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Jim, if you should go to see "The Red Baron", you must forget the title first of all.
If you can manage to think it was just about some other German WW1 flyers, then you
MIGHT be able to enjoy it.

No, wait - you must also forget, which planes flew in which aera.
And that a shot from a flare gun could not ignite a balloon.
And that Till Schweiger was too old even for a WW1 pilot.
And that Albatros D.III could not dive like Thunderbolts.
And were not as fast as...

Ah, well...
...if you park your brain in the fridge, you MIGHT be able to enjoy it.
After all, there are some good-looking scenes.
I was already happy about the fact, that there were Albatros planes AT ALL !
Never had seen them in any film before!

EDIT: ...the REVENGE OF THE RED BARON is so super-trash, that it's cool again!
Mmuahahahahaaa!!! (I wonder what a psychologist would say about this!)

#4266799 - 06/04/16 12:40 AM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Jim, I received my 2 volumes this afternoon. Superb! Have a lot of reading to do this weekend. Thank you for such a fine piece of work.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4266800 - 06/04/16 12:43 AM Re: OT: New Book "Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen" Now Available [Re: JFM]  
SteveW Offline
SteveW  Offline

Albuquerque, NM USA
Jim, very cool! A couple of months back I read your Osprey DH-2 vs. Alb. I-II. I was starting a DH-2 campaign and ordered a copy of your book. Made such a great addition to my campaign. I loved it when I was mixing it up with EIII's and EIV's and even Halbs, but once the Albatross start to show up, lots tougher, your book was a real delight to match my career. Pilot didn't do too bad either. Although MvR is not my highest interest your books will be in my sights, and other Osprey titles also. So from a fellow WOFF'er, best of luck with your MvR books, good work I'm sure. Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM