Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4262682 - 05/22/16 09:32 AM Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Just found this well-explained video for setting up TrackIR.
I found it very useful and easy to understand.

It will work for both hat-clip and/or sideclip users - you will only see
the reflector dots on the main screen will appear differently.

I recommend to get the TrackIR 5 software, even if you use TrackIR 4 hardware.
(Not sure if that would work also for TrackIR 3 - I never had that one).

Good luck!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4262684 - 05/22/16 09:51 AM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: Olham]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

Very helpful, thanks for this one as well Olham!

If you're having trim problems, I feel bad for you son
I got ninety-nine problems, but my pitch ain't one...
#4262710 - 05/22/16 12:01 PM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

I notice that there is no mention made of setting and customizing limits. I have done this in my TrackIR profiles in order to create a more realistic range of movement. When you are strapped into the cockpit with your lap and shoulder belts snugged up tight it is all you can do to crane your neck around and see the vertical stab and rudder of your kite, (I know this from RL experience). By setting limits in your TIR profile and then going in and manually changing the values in your profile's XML file you can get rid of the "owl's head" rotation you normally have in Track IR. To do this start by ticking the 'Limit' box in the profile set-up screen, (it is in the same row of boxes as 'Mirror' and 'Invert'). Set up the rest of the profile as outlined and save it, then go to the profile's XML file and open it with Notepad. You may have to do a search to find where the custom profiles are being saved in your computer, (on mine with Windows 10 Pro they are saved in C:\Users\Lou\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles). Once you have located said file and opened it with Notepad you will want to go to the lines of code dealing with the limits, which will be towards the top of each 'Curve' block and should look something like this:

<Limited>1</Limited>
<Limit>XXX</Limit>

Where I have shown 'XXX' is where you will want to change the values. For Axis 0 and Axis 1 I have found that a value of 134 works quite well. For the remaining 3 through 5 I set a value of 90. When you have made the changes simply save the file and try it out. Easy peasy.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4262809 - 05/22/16 06:04 PM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
I followed his instructions but something is wrong. I can get 90° left but only 45° to the right. This is using the default profile.
my trackclip is about 78cm from the TrackIr sensor. I have a TrackIr 3 but with 5.2.200 software. It doesn't matter which template I use. Camera view shows 3 led's centred ok.

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4262818 - 05/22/16 06:29 PM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

I have updated the software to 5.4.2 but the results are still the same. sigh

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

#4262945 - 05/23/16 04:57 AM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

I notice that there is no mention made of setting and customizing limits. I have done this in my TrackIR profiles in order to create a more realistic range of movement. When you are strapped into the cockpit with your lap and shoulder belts snugged up tight it is all you can do to crane your neck around and see the vertical stab and rudder of your kite, (I know this from RL experience). By setting limits in your TIR profile and then going in and manually changing the values in your profile's XML file you can get rid of the "owl's head" rotation you normally have in Track IR. To do this start by ticking the 'Limit' box in the profile set-up screen, (it is in the same row of boxes as 'Mirror' and 'Invert'). Set up the rest of the profile as outlined and save it, then go to the profile's XML file and open it with Notepad. You may have to do a search to find where the custom profiles are being saved in your computer, (on mine with Windows 10 Pro they are saved in C:\Users\Lou\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles). Once you have located said file and opened it with Notepad you will want to go to the lines of code dealing with the limits, which will be towards the top of each 'Curve' block and should look something like this:

<Limited>1</Limited>
<Limit>XXX</Limit>

Where I have shown 'XXX' is where you will want to change the values. For Axis 0 and Axis 1 I have found that a value of 134 works quite well. For the remaining 3 through 5 I set a value of 90. When you have made the changes simply save the file and try it out. Easy peasy.

I remember this topic from November last year. I borrowed screenshots from that post:

In this WOFF screenshot (with youtube video inserted in the center of the screenshot), my head is turned just like the pilot in the youtube video.

Now, I turn my shoulders slightly (like the video) to see part of the tail. Notice how the pilot is turning his shoulders to follow the plane.

This is how My profile is set up for yaw which limits the head movement to about 140 degrees.

#4262959 - 05/23/16 07:37 AM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Good point, Lou - I must try that out!

OldHat, I wonder how you can get on with THHAT curve for yaw - mine looks almost opposite???

#4262986 - 05/23/16 11:02 AM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: Olham]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Olham, if you curve it down, then the head movement will be forced to stop at a specific point (~140 degrees). Which was the reason for making this limited head movement profile. However, curving it flat or up will not impose that limitation and you can extend past 180 degrees.

Also, your curve is almost a 1:1 ratio.

Last edited by OldHat; 05/23/16 11:06 AM.
#4262991 - 05/23/16 11:17 AM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: OldHat]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: OldHat
...if you curve it down, then the head movement will be forced to stop at a specific point...

Ah, okay!

Also, your curve is almost a 1:1 ratio.[/size]

How do you mean that?

#4263002 - 05/23/16 11:47 AM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: Olham]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Sorry, I meant to say that your curve is good up to 9 degrees, but then it would be too fast for me past 9 degrees true head movement.

#4263049 - 05/23/16 02:14 PM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

I'm still testing it - but for the "check-six", I want it to be fast. Real fast!

#4263086 - 05/23/16 04:12 PM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

My head hurts nope

#4269340 - 06/12/16 10:43 AM Re: Setting up your own TrackIR profile - Video [Re: OldHat]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

<Limited>1</Limited>
<Limit>XXX</Limit>

I remember this topic from November last year. I borrowed screenshots from that post:

In this WOFF screenshot (with youtube video inserted in the center of the screenshot), my head is turned just like the pilot in the youtube video.

Now, I turn my shoulders slightly (like the video) to see part of the tail. Notice how the pilot is turning his shoulders to follow the plane.

This is how My profile is set up for yaw which limits the head movement to about 140 degrees.

Oldhat noticed your Trackir profile whch is very intresting, could you publish this profile or just pm this.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents