Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4259510 - 05/12/16 11:12 PM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: JimBobb]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Is MS still getting $9.99 when Ubisoft is selling the DVD version for that price?
Guess I am not really sure what CFS3's "legal status" even is with MS?

#4259535 - 05/13/16 12:37 AM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
Is MS still getting $9.99 when Ubisoft is selling the DVD version for that price?
Guess I am not really sure what CFS3's "legal status" even is with MS?

Good point Duke. I don't know the specifics of how much MS gets. What I do know is that in all the time W/OFF has been being produced (10 years?), MS & OBD have never been able to come to any kind of an agreement that allows a standalone product to happen.

Pure guess on my part, but that's usually because one or both parties are unable to reach an agreement that they find financially acceptable.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4259634 - 05/13/16 11:00 AM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: JimBobb]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
A guess on my part is OBD discussed all this amongst themselves years ago.

And now behold the sleek, gleaming, Albatros C.XII:

#4259647 - 05/13/16 11:34 AM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: JimBobb]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Ahhh...very nice.
Wish we had some Alb two-seaters in the game.
Very needed IMHO.

#4259658 - 05/13/16 12:08 PM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: JimBobb]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
It's a ''stretched'' Albatros!

And yes, that crate and any other the dev's can magic up into the game would be very welcome!

#4260097 - 05/14/16 02:45 PM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

I'm not sure how these things work, but i saw this on another site from a flight sim called Tornado albeit from a different company (interplay)

#4261533 - 05/18/16 08:07 PM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Maybe this will be possible for Woff Gold? exitstageleft

I'd like a one in all GOG installer pls..... fearful

#4261534 - 05/18/16 08:11 PM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

If it will be on GOG and/or steam i will pay double the price, no, make it triple cowboy

#4261543 - 05/18/16 08:53 PM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: JimBobb]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
If they make an all in one installer, I will probably buy that version too. I just like to encourage the debs to keep adding and improving WOFF because there's still some money in it for them. I don't expect any other devs to put this much time, research, options and immersion into another WWI sim for a very long time, if ever.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4261568 - 05/18/16 10:29 PM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: JimBobb]  
Gattsu Offline
Gattsu  Offline

Barcelona (Spain)
WWI only? There won't be another simualtion game with good AI (see ARMA 3, IL2 CLOD and Battle of Stalingrad). Last patches of IL2 1946 used similar features for his enemy AI but with poor results at dogfights.

Good AI don't give good sales for next-gen games or simulators. Graphics, realistic physics and avionics are the focus and they left the AI forgotten.

I tried moding those games for a good experience and I can't deal with allied and enemy AI. So I gave up singleplayer and finally those games.

#4261572 - 05/18/16 11:05 PM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: Gattsu]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Northern New Hampshire, USA
Originally Posted By: Gattsu
So I gave up singleplayer and finally those games.

Interesting as after over 20 years of online play, I gave that up due to the vulgar language and lack of respect for each other. I'd rather play against a so-so AI than be called an A..h..e by some 14 year old because I shot him down.

Rick

#4261643 - 05/19/16 06:38 AM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: JimBobb]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

I like flying online, but sure, you are right about unpleasant encounters there, Buff1.
And not only cursing insults - there are "players" who have a totally unhistorical approach
to the whole WW1 air combat thing. Or they fly Kamikaze-style, simply because it doesn't
cost their real lives. Or they ask - after already getting airborne - how the plane has
to be flown. That's not really what I'm searching for. But that's the "online world".

So I also love flying immersive single-player campaigns, where I can have it more the historical
way I prefer. WOFF can give that to me, like no other sim could, yet.

Why not have the best of both worlds?

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4261652 - 05/19/16 08:09 AM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: Olham]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

Originally Posted By: Olham
I like flying online, but sure, you are right about unpleasant encounters there, Buff1.
And not only cursing insults - there are "players" who have a totally unhistorical approach
to the whole WW1 air combat thing. Or they fly Kamikaze-style, simply because it doesn't
cost their real lives. Or they ask - after already getting airborne - how the plane has
to be flown. That's not really what I'm searching for. But that's the "online world".

So I also love flying immersive single-player campaigns, where I can have it more the historical
way I prefer. WOFF can give that to me, like no other sim could, yet.

That's my take on it as well. I think while multiplayer can be amazing when like-minded and dedicated people come together, it is unusual when that happens and takes a whole lot of effort If you're looking for challenge or competition, you're more likely to find that - but immersion and dedication, less likely so. What's more, even the realism-oriented players aren't always on the same page, and to be honest, players who try to push their idea of realism on me also take the fun out of it. Everybody's got an opinion about what's realistic, and many of us can even back up those opinions with data. But then it just turns into a big argument and rules that make somebody unhappy.

Meanwhile, in single player, what I like is that I'm my own pilot and my own umpire - I get to decide what's realistic, I can overlook certain things if I prefer, and I can work around a lot of AI deficiencies by setting house rules for myself. If you're a disciplined player, you can get a lot out of that approach. For me, being in control of my single-player experience means better immersion. I will pass up smarter wingmen and opponents for that.

And I wouldn't call AI in simulation dead - I think in games in general, single player experiences are slowly starting to become more important, and I think it's going to mean smarter AI down the road.

If you're having trim problems, I feel bad for you son
I got ninety-nine problems, but my pitch ain't one...
#4261769 - 05/19/16 04:48 PM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: JimBobb]  
UK_Widowmaker Offline
Animal Cruelty sucks
UK_Widowmaker  Offline
Animal Cruelty sucks

Northumberland UK
Steam worked wonders for FSX-SE...but clearly far too expensive for the reasons stated...I wonder how much Dovetail Games paid for the FSX licence??

"From head to tail, the Border Collie is all dog, and pure dog, fashioned by nature, and wise men, for a useful purpose..and thirled to it's traditions, by the very validity, of it's ancient, and honourable calling" -Eric Halsall
#4261773 - 05/19/16 04:53 PM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: UK_Widowmaker]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Originally Posted By: UK_Widowmaker
Steam worked wonders for FSX-SE...but clearly far too expensive for the reasons stated...I wonder how much Dovetail Games paid for the FSX licence??

If they licensed a new game maybe they wouldn't care that much about a much older one ??

#4261777 - 05/19/16 05:05 PM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: Olham]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Northern New Hampshire, USA
Originally Posted By: Olham

I don't disagree at all! Online activity can be incredibly engaging and satisfying. I have met some of my very best friends in the arenas. However, I'm 58 and started flying online in Air Warrior when I was 35. That's 23 years ago. Air Warrior was THE online flightsim for all of the 1990's. Massive scenarios involving a thousand players for over 2 months like 'Operation Longbow'. At one point I was writing and issuing orders for nearly 500 players for almost 2 months, I spent 80 hours a week working on and running the Luftwaffe from a command position plus working at my normal job. I am being very honest when I say 'Operation Longbow' put my marriage on the rocks for a while and my wife still bristles at the mention of it 17 years later. After Air Warrior it was Aces High and more of the same 50-60 hours a week of play. I formed the 'Brewster Buffalos Squadron' in 1995 and the same group of guys op'd together until 2008. We went to two Con's as a Squad, the 1999 AW Con in Dallas and 2001 in Seattle. (On my way home from Seattle September 11th, my flight arrived in Portland, Maine and I was in the very small terminal at the same time as Atta and Alomari prior to their take off for Boston and into infamy. I probably even saw them... Sorry, I digress...)

Anyway, over the years, I have seen the maturity and respect levels plummet to lows that just take the fun out of it for me now. As Olham says, the style of play has gone from very realistic and unit/team oriented to heavily individualistic and stat oriented. Signs of the times. I've just gotten too old to have any desire to deal with those kinds of changes. I'm just glad that some good off line sims remain that can satisfy my still strong pleasure in sims.

Rick

PS. I'll post some pics from those old Air Warrior Conventions if anyone is interested...

#4261940 - 05/20/16 03:55 AM Re: This would be much popular if it was standalone and on steam [Re: Buff1]  
J5_Lehmann Offline
J5_Lehmann  Offline

Originally Posted By: Buff1

Interesting as after over 20 years of online play, I gave that up due to the vulgar language and lack of respect for each other. I'd rather play against a so-so AI than be called an A..h..e by some 14 year old because I shot him down.

Rick

Amen to that, Buff1.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM