Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4259148 - 05/12/16 02:31 AM A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie'  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Northern New Hampshire, USA
Greetings all! A Sharp Salute to the WoFF community! As of last night I purchased the entire WoFF lineup... WoFF 1,2,3 and the 3 add on packs. I can't wait to really dig into the WoFF experience. I kept seeing rather cryptic references to something called Wings over Flanders fields on other forums, but never really looked into it. In fact, I wasn't really even aware it was a sim in its own right. After doing my research in assorted forums and watching a slew of videos on YouTube, it didn't take me long to recognize that this WoFF thing was probably something special.

I have been part of the computer Flight Sim scene since an amusing (and barely recognizable as flying) long forgotten little nothing called ‘Spitfire’ on the Commodore 64. I played ‘Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe’ (arguably the first ‘good’ computer flight sim), the classic Dynamix ‘Aces’ series, the wonderful ‘Red Baron’ offerings from Dynamix, European Air War (the first sim that really looked great), All the exceptional iterations of IL2 and at least a dozen other entrants into the field. I played Air Warrior online when it was $6.00 an hour and and was running up $600 a month bills. Even when it went to AOL for $1.95 an hour, I can recall months of over $350 (Free to play KILLED it on AOL around 1998 as clueless riff-raff took over). Then it was Aces High until about 2008. Finally I’d had enough of the online garbage as the radio chatter and text lines were taken over by 14 year olds with foul mouths and no respect... Since then, it was back to all the IL2 stuff and the great community MODS for it like Dark Blue World while still staying offline with Cliffs of Dover, Rise of Flight and Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow... Now I'm adding WoFF to that list and hope it fills a hole in the 'campaign immersion' that most of those do not really satisfy.

I'm a retired professional photographer and high school baseball coach. My secondary career has been as a TV sports play by play announcer and that is pretty much what I do now. About 75 games a year.

I do have a peripheral aviation background however as my father was a private and commercial airline pilot and I grew up in the air with he and his pilot friends. Among the aircraft he owned was a P-51 Mustang and I got to fly many hours in it. The best man at his wedding owned 5 Waco open cockpit biplanes and I flew in those many times. I also had the honor and pleasure of spending a number of private hours in conversation with Marine ace Greg 'Pappy' Boyington in 1977.

I'll no doubt have many questions about WoFF in the coming weeks!

The first question I have is regarding the Skin Pack. The link seems to be dead. Will this be available again in the near future?

The second is about WoFF forums. Is this the only one or are there others I should hop into?

Again, glad to be here!

Rick West

#4259153 - 05/12/16 03:14 AM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Welcome Buff1, this is a great group of guys and you'll really enjoy your time with us. This is the only forum dedicated to WOFF. If I remember correctly WOFF was using the Combat Ace forum for a while but moved over here so they could have their own specific forum. Old guys, correct me if I'm wrong about that. As far as your first question, you should probably post that question over on the Technical Help thread.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4259164 - 05/12/16 03:53 AM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hey Buff1, welcome aboard! Rest assured, whatever you paid for the whole shebang, with your professed background and interests, you will get your money's worth. WOFF is a time suck of epic proportions! It is really the only heir to the Red Baron throne for single players!

The answer to your first question is some good news! The skin pack is now free! Or at least it will be when the link is fixed, if it isn't already somewhere...

Welcome aboard, Lou will arrive soon with the orders of the day! salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4259212 - 05/12/16 08:58 AM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Morning Buff old chap... right, first things first, it's your round at the bar biggrin

#4259216 - 05/12/16 09:15 AM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Welcome aboard! Patrol in 10 minutes; get your gear.

#4259236 - 05/12/16 11:11 AM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Raine Online content
Raine  Online Content

New Brunswick, Canada
Welcome, Buff1. You're exactly the sort of fellow who makes this community such a great spot to be. The skin pack will be sorted very quockky, I'm sure, as the developers are extremely attentive to customer service. Please keep us posted on your impressions as you discover the deep attractions of WOFF. Don't hold back any question. We're a helpful bunch as long as you're buying the rounds!

#4259263 - 05/12/16 12:12 PM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Welcome aboard Rick! If you are looking to scratch the single player WWI itch, nothing else out there comes close to WOFF 3. Congratulations on hopping in with both feet.

Not sure which videos you watched but I have made a few myself for the very purpose of hoping other people will see how great WOFF is and decide to get involved. Very glad to have you here sir.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4259295 - 05/12/16 01:28 PM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Welcome aboard, Buff! salute

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4259301 - 05/12/16 01:52 PM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
What they all said. Welcome Buff!

#4259343 - 05/12/16 03:37 PM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Thanks to you all for the warm and gracious welcome! Next few rounds are on me! And if I don't make it back from tomorrow morning's patrol, you can divvy up my meager possessions...

#4259355 - 05/12/16 04:03 PM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Hellshade]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hellshade
Not sure which videos you watched but I have made a few myself for the very purpose of hoping other people will see how great WOFF is and decide to get involved.

Thank you, Sir! It was indeed some of your videos, as well as others and the very impressive 'Daniel Brasco' series that I watched prior to purchasing WoFF. There is nothing like being able to really see what a game can do to aid in deciding to whether to buy it.

Another thing that impressed the holy hell out of me was the WoFF FAQ... It always irks me that game companies produce a product and leave its clients to sink or swim with regard to setting their specific brands of controllers. I'm a CH guy and was nearly apoplectic with joy when I saw that the FAQ actually had a complete section on the CH Control Manager (illustrated, no less!) and the TrackIR. That almost as much as anything sold me on this outfit. To me, that is customer service before the customer needs it! BRAVO!

#4259361 - 05/12/16 04:11 PM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Daniel Brasco was so good it could have been a youtube show and yes, the devs are quite passionate about great documentation. You've got countless hours of enjoyment ahead of you sir!

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4259467 - 05/12/16 09:03 PM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Welcome Buff to arguably the best forum on the net.

Accompany that with THE greatest flight sim ive ever flown,and the best Dev team in the business and you're onto a winner.

You've got one hell of a ride in front of you Buff,i really hope you enjoy this sim..im sure you will.

Best of luck up there and remember..always check your 6 thumbsup

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4259518 - 05/12/16 11:32 PM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Hello Buff1.

Welcome to the forum, and as stated what we here considered maybe one of the best WWI forums out there. Not only are we all fans (and some of us Devs) of WOFF but we're ALL huge fans of aviation and all it's amazing aspects.

Don't be afraid to toss out some tidbits of your own if aviation is your thing. We love it.

As for thee skin pack, it's a must-have. It's being reworked and should be available soon, if not already. It adds another level of realism never before seen in a WWI sim.

You will be challenged by WOFF3 like no other sim has in the past. The AI is both lethal and very realistic. I flew RB3D MMP back in the day with Jasta 23b and Jasta 5, and I can say the AI in WOFF3 compares to human intelligence/skill on many levels.

Good luck and welcome to the greatest WWI show on Earth!

All the best,

James
'OvS'

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4259558 - 05/13/16 02:04 AM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: OvStachel]  
Buff1 Offline
Buff1  Offline

Originally Posted By: OvStachel
I flew RB3D MMP back in the day with Jasta 23b and Jasta 5, and I can say the AI in WOFF3 compares to human intelligence/skill on many levels.

Based on much of my long online experience, even some of the poorer AIs out there compare more than favorably to much of the human intelligence/skill on many levels!

Rick W

#4259574 - 05/13/16 02:46 AM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

reading

Welcome to the MeatGinder.

#4259582 - 05/13/16 03:15 AM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Ovs, will those of us who have already purchased the skin pack be able to get the updated stuff you guys are adding?

#4259744 - 05/13/16 03:28 PM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Welcome Buff1, interesting first post!
The skin pack will be available again soon. It won't be "uodated" at the moment not sure where OvS got that bit from wink

it is simply offline due to massive overload on the server from people clobbering the skins download and we have a new product out and new patches to download/upload during the last week or so from the same wesbite.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4259751 - 05/13/16 03:48 PM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
J5_Lehmann Offline
J5_Lehmann  Offline

Hi Buff1.... Greetings from Texas.

Thank goodness I can stop buying the drinks now.

Good ole' OvStachel (OvS) is the awesome and all-powerful skin art master himself. I'm only outing him because he is too humble to blow his own horn. If you used the Hell's Angels Superpatch for Red Baron 3D he's also the guilty party responsible for that coolness too.

Nice first post, good man!

I'll have some of the good cabernet hidden in the back over there...

We'll see you over the trenches. cowboy

#4259758 - 05/13/16 03:57 PM Re: A new target, but perhaps not really a 'Newbie' [Re: Buff1]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Pol, Ovs sorry for the misunderstanding.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM