Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4257190 - 05/06/16 08:25 PM Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4257200 - 05/06/16 08:40 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
More than happy with that......if not just relieved it's not going futuristic.

Should be plenty of different strategies to use although at the same time I do crave the tactical options available in BF2 before it was watered down for the console audience and all the BF games that followed.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4257206 - 05/06/16 08:46 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
WW1, eugh. Pass!

#4257300 - 05/07/16 03:01 AM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

It's a bold move by EA-DICE and they may pull it off! The trailer gives an impression of spectacular and fast paced. I may even acquire it. Sure is a change from CoD and even Arma going off to the future.

Last edited by frinik22; 05/07/16 03:01 AM.
#4257309 - 05/07/16 03:47 AM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I was about to drop dead from surprise, that it was actually WW1, but then I saw it looked like a Michael Bay WW1, and all the promotional material features an African-American soldier. It's obviously not marketed to my demographic, so I won't be buying it.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#4257429 - 05/07/16 02:52 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
I think I'll stick with Verdun.

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#4257743 - 05/08/16 06:17 AM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: HogDriver]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: HogDriver
I was about to drop dead from surprise, that it was actually WW1, but then I saw it looked like a Michael Bay WW1, and all the promotional material features an African-American soldier. It's obviously not marketed to my demographic, so I won't be buying it.

There were definitely black soldiers in both the French and American armies (though obviously they were a tiny minority over all); placing a black soldier in the promo art in and of itself is fine. Of course, when you use a black soldier, but include no white soldiers, and then put said black soldier in some ridiculous comic book costume instead of a real uniform, I am less interested.

However, I am more annoyed by their decision to show a female character fighting, especially (in this case) for the Muslim Bedouin forces. I am sorry, but women fighting in ground combat (excepting those one in a million instances that are the exceptions that prove the rule) is an entirely 21st century concept. I hate having history rewritten in an attempt to make modern social choices seem less divergent, and putting a woman into combat in the context of an early 20th century Muslim army is just plain silly.

While I have no doubt the next modern Battlefield game will have female soldiers, "ret-conning" anachronistic modern cultural norms onto (WWI) history makes me personally a lot less likely to buy this game.

Also, the background music choice for that trailer could not have been more un-atmospheric.

Last edited by Nimits; 05/08/16 06:18 AM.
#4257892 - 05/08/16 04:20 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I don't understand the negativity to be honest. Battlefield has been getting diluted every single year since BF2 but the entire series has never (imo) intended to be be completely historically accurate - there has always been a lot of balancing in not only the content but in the gameplay to ensure that the 'battle' can be won by any of the sides.

This thread is starting to go far beyond what's 'realistic' within the game and the race and sex of soldiers in all honesty is completely moot given that this next game in the series is clearly not attempting to be historically accurate either. Does is really have the affect that some people will refuse to buy it because there are female fighters or soldiers of mixed race wearing capes?

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4257918 - 05/08/16 05:21 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
And how about Fokker Dr.1 of JG1 "Flying Circus" through canyons in Middle East "Lawrence of Arabia" map? biggrin hahaha

upload a picture

Console kids will found this funny. wink

https://youtu.be/201dcJtTDzQ?t=39

"I'm gonna fight them off" cool

Last edited by Sokol1; 05/08/16 06:06 PM.
#4257971 - 05/08/16 07:14 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: Paradaz]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: Paradaz
Does is really have the affect that some people will refuse to buy it because there are female fighters or soldiers . . . wearing capes?

Don't forget red "Red Baron" Dr.1's.

As for me, probably yes (I will not buy it for those reasons).

#4258143 - 05/09/16 11:02 AM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: Nimits]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted By: Nimits
Originally Posted By: Paradaz
Does is really have the affect that some people will refuse to buy it because there are female fighters or soldiers . . . wearing capes?

Don't forget red "Red Baron" Dr.1's.

As for me, probably yes (I will not buy it for those reasons).

Couldn't agree more. Apart from the issue of promoting a lie, I still consider a primary rule of war to be the protection of women and children. Realistically, women would have been at a huge disadvantage in the type of combat typical of the First World War. Equality, my arse!

#4258206 - 05/09/16 01:05 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Finally a BF game I can get behind. I'm tired of all of the modern warfare stuff...

For those of you complaining about historical accuracy, you are missing the point of a BF game. It's an online game, where the player can choose what equipment to bring into the Battlefield. As long as the era (WWI) of equipment is accurate, I see no problems.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4258210 - 05/09/16 01:11 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: ArgonV]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Originally Posted By: ArgonV
Finally a BF game I can get behind. I'm tired of all of the modern warfare stuff...

For those of you complaining about historical accuracy, you are missing the point of a BF game. It's an online game, where the player can choose what equipment to bring into the Battlefield. As long as the era (WWI) of equipment is accurate, I see no problems.

I assume you are right.
Hehe, I almost started speculating on the flight and damage model...

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#4258367 - 05/09/16 07:05 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
Snake_Pliskinn Offline
Snake_Pliskinn  Offline

Enterprise, AL
Actually I believe there were numerous colonial units in the French and Belgium forces on the Western Front. Many from North Africa but also many other African colonies. There were numerous campaigns in Africa during WWI, maybe not as significant as in Europe, but they occurred none-the-less. If they were bend history a bit, why not have Mexican forces invading the Southern United States (per the - I think I have the name correct - Zimmerman cable). Anyone looking for simulation level play in the BF series is looking in the wrong place and should just accept the games for what they are; a first person shooter wrapped in the thinnest veneer of military trappings.

#4258372 - 05/09/16 07:21 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Well, at least the spawn, walk around for five seconds, then get mowed down by machine gun fire, meat grinder style of game play will be accurate.

I don't play PvP MP anyway. Too old, reflexes too slow. I do applaud DICE for trying something new.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4258377 - 05/09/16 07:33 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

If I can play as Lawrence of Arabia I'm all good.

#4258505 - 05/10/16 02:39 AM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: Snake_Pliskinn]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: Snake_Pliskinn
Actually I believe there were numerous colonial units in the French and Belgium forces on the Western Front. Many from North Africa but also many other African colonies. There were numerous campaigns in Africa during WWI, maybe not as significant as in Europe, but they occurred none-the-less. If they were bend history a bit, why not have Mexican forces invading the Southern United States (per the - I think I have the name correct - Zimmerman cable). Anyone looking for simulation level play in the BF series is looking in the wrong place and should just accept the games for what they are; a first person shooter wrapped in the thinnest veneer of military trappings.

As I (and others) suggested, including a black playable character for a WWI game (particularly if part of the French army), is just fine. Making the black character the only "cover" character for the add campaign so far seems suspiciously PC. Taking that together with female soldiers, goofy comic book uniforms, and various other ahistorical bits of "atmosphere" suggests that this is not a game I am going to be interested in purchasing.

And before anyone throws out that BF games have never been historical simulations, yes, I understand, and that is not what I expect from them. However, they have (to date) done a very good job of creating an atmosphere (of which visuals such uniforms, paint schemes, correct gender of soldiers, etc. are a key part) that feels reasonably like the contemporary or historical setting they are replicating. When they (apparently) decide to make even the atmosphere of the game resemble more a politically correct comic book alternate reality than the true historical period, I simply loose interest.

#4258544 - 05/10/16 08:01 AM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Same here!

#4258620 - 05/10/16 02:08 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: JimBobb]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I watched some of those "reaction videos" to Call of Duty IW and Battlefield 1.

It was so sad listening to those idiots thinking Battlefield 1 is set in WW2 because it has an old tank in it, or the character time travels to medieval times because there is a horse in it and one of the armor helmets looks like a knights helmet. So sad.

#4258626 - 05/10/16 02:18 PM Re: Battlefield 1 - World War 1, it's official [Re: Nimits]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: Nimits
Originally Posted By: HogDriver

There were definitely black soldiers in both the French and American armies (though obviously they were a tiny minority over all); placing a black soldier in the promo art in and of itself is fine. Of course, when you use a black soldier, but include no white soldiers, and then put said black soldier in some ridiculous comic book costume instead of a real uniform, I am less interested.

However, I am more annoyed by their decision to show a female character fighting, especially (in this case) for the Muslim Bedouin forces. I am sorry, but women fighting in ground combat (excepting those one in a million instances that are the exceptions that prove the rule) is an entirely 21st century concept. I hate having history rewritten in an attempt to make modern social choices seem less divergent, and putting a woman into combat in the context of an early 20th century Muslim army is just plain silly.

While I have no doubt the next modern Battlefield game will have female soldiers, "ret-conning" anachronistic modern cultural norms onto (WWI) history makes me personally a lot less likely to buy this game.

Also, the background music choice for that trailer could not have been more un-atmospheric.

About the women Bedouin fighters. Mostly water bearers, but some did fight.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9jWkan...ers&f=false

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.