Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4255559 - 05/03/16 06:48 PM Re: 0% interest car financing? Really? [Re: Linebacker]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
But to work, you need a car. Nice little hamster wheel they got must of us on.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4255576 - 05/03/16 07:10 PM Re: 0% interest car financing? Really? [Re: vocatx]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: vocatx
With the exception of real estate, if you don't have the cash to buy it, you really can't afford it.

I don't disagree with this, I just don't think it's exclusive to financing. If the interest rate is so low that it's insignificant, why give them all of the money up front? Keep it in your savings, investments, emergency, whatever.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4255599 - 05/03/16 07:38 PM Re: 0% interest car financing? Really? [Re: Linebacker]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
*shrug* I've never been in a situation where it was a bad idea. Yeah, a loan with a double-digit interest rate is not smart, but to put $40k down for a car vs paying 2% interest seems like a worse idea to me.

Of course, I find that many people's ideas of "smart" financial advice makes no sense to me. The whole concept of "never use a credit card" or "never get a loan" leaves me scratching my head.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4255608 - 05/03/16 08:07 PM Re: 0% interest car financing? Really? [Re: Jedi Master]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
With the glut of finance deals in the UK at the moment there are loads of 3 year old cars. Plenty of choice to get a good one at a good price. I never buy new. I bought my current car cash for a good price when it was 3 years old. Still drives beautifully now it's 16 years old. Choose carefully and look after it. The money for its replacement is in place. Apart from houses we have never bought anything on credit and never will.

RedToo.

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4255656 - 05/03/16 09:43 PM Re: 0% interest car financing? Really? [Re: Linebacker]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Same here RedToo, always buy 3-4 yo cars and don't have a credit card. Only debt is our mortgage, and even then the rate is at a historic low compared to what my parents had to pay in the 70s and 80s. God knows how they raised me and my brother on a single Forces salary, but they did it and I don't remember any hardship (at least on my part).

#4255662 - 05/03/16 09:54 PM Re: 0% interest car financing? Really? [Re: Jedi Master]  
ATAG_Bliss Offline
ATAG_Bliss  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
*shrug* I've never been in a situation where it was a bad idea. Yeah, a loan with a double-digit interest rate is not smart, but to put $40k down for a car vs paying 2% interest seems like a worse idea to me.

Of course, I find that many people's ideas of "smart" financial advice makes no sense to me. The whole concept of "never use a credit card" or "never get a loan" leaves me scratching my head.

The Jedi Master

I agree. There's so much money to earn in using credit cards alone, I'm surprised so many people refuse to use them. I use them for every single purchase. Pay it off at the end of the month, and it doesn't cost me a dime. On the flip side I end up with around $5000 cash back on one of my cards alone for doing this.

Of course the CC company is banking on your running up your 50k limit and hitting you with finance charges etc. But using them wisely is 10x better than always paying for stuff directly out of your checking account.

With regards to financing things, I finance lots of things as many of those are also used to make money. It keeps your credit great and your buying power even better. As a certified car nut, if I want a vehicle, I will definitely go out and buy it/finance it or whatever. If there's one thing I've learned in my short existence on the planet, that you only have 1 go at this. You might as well try to enjoy it. For me, that means owning all the crap I want. I, or anyone else, might not be around tomorrow.

#4255663 - 05/03/16 09:55 PM Re: 0% interest car financing? Really? [Re: Archangel]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
Originally Posted By: Archangel
No free lunch, if it's 0% you're paying more in the price. It's getting made somewhere else in the shell game. In instances like that, you'll get a better deal at the end of the day with a cash deal.

Exactly

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4255721 - 05/04/16 12:07 AM Re: 0% interest car financing? Really? [Re: Linebacker]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Thanks for all the opinions guys. Appreciate it.

#4255723 - 05/04/16 12:09 AM Re: 0% interest car financing? Really? [Re: Linebacker]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Actually, what I got from that article is that 0% *is* a "free lunch", but only for those who qualify. And that's how they get *some* people, by advertising a great interest rate only for many (if not most) to be told they don't qualify but, "Since you're already here, let's see what we can do". smile

It's then up to you if you want to continue or walk, but I can see why they do it, giving out a free lunch to some (along with the occasional free breakfast donuts and coffee).

++++++++++

We also purchase everything on credit cards but haven't carried a monthly balance in years. It's nice to know that if we ever need to we can (and they try to entice you by constantly raising the limits), but I don't see that ever happening other than a serious medical emergency that wipes us out.

My mom has also been crazy strict with the family budget (don't I know it growing up), while using credit cards and buying new cars with financing, but with very low to no interest and never carrying a CC balance (also with above 800 credit). My wife is getting involved in their finances in anticipation of helping to manage it (they're moving in and approaching 80), and she's impressed. With cooking and financials, they connect. My father and I would be screwed without them in our lives.

#4255819 - 05/04/16 04:01 AM Re: 0% interest car financing? Really? [Re: Airdrop01]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Linebacker
Seems too good to be true! I’ve never had regular car payments since I’ve always bought used cars/trucks straight out with whatever cash I had available.

With this 0% interest phenomenon, I’m at a point in my life where I couldn’t care less if I eventually own the car or not. Is leasing the best bet? For how many months?

Yeah it works.. we did it with a 2005 Mitsubishi.. and we paid a good priece for it.. The only danger with it is if you miss a payment you get hit with all that back interest.. What we did was add a minimum of 12% extra to the payment sometimes more.. We would up paying the car off 10 months early and were free and clear.. In 2015 we gave the car to our daughter.. It can work..

Originally Posted By: Airdrop01
Borrower is slave to the lender.
We bought two cars last year...a Mustang GT vert and a Honda Odyssey. We drive cars forever and pay cash. I wouldn't buy anything I didn't pay for in full.

Sure, the math says make payments with free money. I'm advising not to do that. There is more to financial peace than math. It is a way of life and intentional behavior through ingrained and repeated reverence toward what God has given you. Loans, especially for things like cars, are anathema to that and will keep you from becoming truly financially secure. Trust me I've done it both ways.

Just my $.02. I felt I had to respond because I quite literally got back from teaching FPU at church just an hour ago.

Everyone is not in a position to do that though.. just pay cash for everything. 0% interest can be a good thing. Credit is a good thing.. providing you use it wisely. That is the rub for a lot of people though..

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4255830 - 05/04/16 05:32 AM Re: 0% interest car financing? Really? [Re: Linebacker]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

One thing that's changed relatively recently - a new car now could conceivably last 20 years without major repairs.

I never thought I'd even consider buying new, but even with interest charges I'm reconsidering now.

I'm old enough now that despite the added cost it could "almost" be the last car I ever have to buy. I'd pay a bit extra for that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.