Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4255260 - 05/02/16 09:40 PM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
Vampire and Zombie movie? (I can hope can't I?)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4255269 - 05/02/16 10:01 PM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Buddy Cop movies.

One is far too old for this sh** and the other is a guy who doesn't play by the rules and works alone.

Or vice versa.

Or maybe one is a dog. Or an Asian or a Black dude. Or they both are. Asian or Black, that is.

Damn, we need Adam Sandler and Nicholas Cage to get on this RIGHT NOW.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4255304 - 05/03/16 12:03 AM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
It's all cyclical. Eventually we'll become all about movies set during the war of 1812.

#4258909 - 05/11/16 01:45 PM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I just thought of another subject/genre that has really died off in films: The US Civil War.

With the exception of "Lincoln" which had a relatively small amount of actual combat scenes, the last US Civil War film was "Gods & Generals" which was released in 2003. Yeah, "Cold Mountain" had that really nice big battle (Battle of the Crater) in the beginning but overall the film was really a romance that just happened to be set during the war.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4259106 - 05/11/16 11:31 PM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
I know Hollywood wasn't happy about how kind G&G was to the South.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4259108 - 05/11/16 11:47 PM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
The kind where two characters magically change into each others bodies after talking about how much they hate their lives only to find out in the end they had happiness all along the way they were before.

Also, talking dog movies.

Last edited by LB4LB; 05/11/16 11:47 PM.
#4259151 - 05/12/16 02:53 AM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
That's it! A body switching buddy cop movie!

One was too old for this sh-t, but now he's in the body of the black sheep reckless loose cannon cop (and vice versa). They must now work together to solve the case in order to get switched back.

Hilarity ensues as our reputed bad boy is now following rules and procedures while the "just three days to retirement" cop finds that being a rebel in the body of a 50 year old isn't going to work.

It would be like printing money!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4259155 - 05/12/16 03:20 AM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Work a talking dog into that movie and you have a deal. Without it your movie is just lame. biggrin

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#4259158 - 05/12/16 03:25 AM Re: Dying film genres [Re: WileECoyote]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: WileECoyote
Work a talking dog into that movie and you have a deal. Without it your movie is just lame. biggrin

Don't forget the talking baby also. This #%&*$# just writes itself.

#4259159 - 05/12/16 03:28 AM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Have the boys in legal look into any copy right issues. Get a case of beer and an old type writer and crap out a script. A hot girl. A few explosions. Some cheap CGI. A catch phrase. Add Adam Sandler , Seth Rogan , and Amy Shumer ( as the smart confidant female who keeps all the stupid infantile men in line). I smell an Oscar and a Peoples Choice Award. We will Carlos Santana for the score so we can get a Latin zgrammy too

#4259169 - 05/12/16 04:49 AM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
You know what are dead? Movies that told it like it is. Movies with characters and heroes that weren't afraid to call people fruit men (use your imagination) or fat or anything but be politically correct. We had real movies back in the day. Now we mostly get hogwash (some exceptions here and there if you look outside the action genre).

Sometimes late at night I scrounge around for a special kind of film--the kind you'd find late at night on HBO past 1 AM, say around the years 1988 - 1994--gritty, dark, sexual films (without being wholly indecent) or simply a fiendish plot with a few characters. They were B-movies, and they were good.

And that genre is all but gone. They don't make those anymore.

Examples are films like "The Caller" (from 1987) or "The Drifter" (from 1988) or slightly higher grade and tongue-in-cheek fare like "Worth Winning." And sometimes you just want to watch something like "The Hot Spot" or "The Warriors" or "Hot Blooded" or "Killer Clowns from Outer Space." They were movies that didn't take themselves too seriously sometimes, and weren't afraid to admit it. Another personal favorite is "Project Shadowchaser II." Frank Zagarino is awesome.

They were good films that did the job. Oftentimes they starred folks like Andrew Stevens and they satisfied in a dirty way.

Ah, I reminisce... that's a fringe genre, there's plenty more, but those I keep coming back to, looking for more--the ones I missed. They're treasures.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 05/12/16 04:50 AM.
#4259197 - 05/12/16 07:44 AM Re: Dying film genres [Re: LB4LB]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: LB4LB
Have the boys in legal look into any copy right issues. Get a case of beer and an old type writer and crap out a script. A hot girl. A few explosions. Some cheap CGI. A catch phrase. Add Adam Sandler , Seth Rogan , and Amy Shumer ( as the smart confidant female who keeps all the stupid infantile men in line). I smell an Oscar and a Peoples Choice Award. We will Carlos Santana for the score so we can get a Latin zgrammy too

Make the older cop in-the-closet gay and we'll get a Sundance award as well!

From Laser:
#4259200 - 05/12/16 08:04 AM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Immermann Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Immermann  Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.

Lule/Norrbotten/Sweden
You need to bake in environmentalism and cross dressing too somehow.

"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
#4259226 - 05/12/16 10:35 AM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
ForSquirrels Offline
Veteran
ForSquirrels  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Aren't all moves these days superhero movies?

sigh
Not even amongst the big budget tentpole films. You also have the Disney animated and live action films and there's also the fantasy and "lite" scifi films.

In fact, of the top 20 films of the US box office in 2015 only TWO were comic book/superhero films.

There were 5 though in 2014.

Since Disney owns Marvel don't most of the superhero movies also fall under your Disney live-action category?

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

XBL: fmdckr81
#4259230 - 05/12/16 10:59 AM Re: Dying film genres [Re: ForSquirrels]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: ForSquirrels

Since Disney owns Marvel don't most of the superhero movies also fall under your Disney live-action category?

I got my data from here,

boxofficemojo.com

The numbers I quoted in my post already include comic book movies made by Disney.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4259268 - 05/12/16 12:19 PM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
The kind of movie were the good and bad guy aren't so clearly defined. One where the subject or plot is about a current or past social issue than can be explored in an objective way. Where the main good guy has character flaws that are not just superficial. A movie that questions whats going on instead of preaching about it.Or a movie made about a past historical event that doesn't have a sub plot that says ' see how bad people were treated during the time of this historical event'. Those are getting over done. We all know the sins of the past. Make a movie about the sins that are happening today. Oh, and Space Girls from Mars movies would be fun again.

#4259338 - 05/12/16 03:30 PM Re: Dying film genres [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I just thought of another subject/genre that has really died off in films: The US Civil War.

With the exception of "Lincoln" which had a relatively small amount of actual combat scenes, the last US Civil War film was "Gods & Generals" which was released in 2003. Yeah, "Cold Mountain" had that really nice big battle (Battle of the Crater) in the beginning but overall the film was really a romance that just happened to be set during the war.

Have you missed the trailers for Free State of Jones?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124037/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4259456 - 05/12/16 08:33 PM Re: Dying film genres [Re: Jedi Master]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

Have you missed the trailers for Free State of Jones?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124037/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

The Jedi Master

Great idea for a movie. Fascinating subject. Hope Hollywood won't do it's usual thing with it. Newton Knight sounds very interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_Knight

Last edited by LB4LB; 05/12/16 08:35 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.