Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4254423 - 04/30/16 12:39 AM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
How about getting a job. Or 2. Or 3, if that's what it takes to for you to be able to fulfill your obligations and responsibilities. Nobody is too good to work on a paving crew or as a construction laborer.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4254429 - 04/30/16 01:08 AM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Makes think of this one:

#4254763 - 05/01/16 01:39 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Many good suggestions so far.

Being able to iron a shirt, tie a tie or bowtie, dress properly, and look dapper.

Originally Posted By: shan2
But it is ultimately character (honor and virtue) that separates a man from just another swinging weiner. With those, a man can obtain that which is necessary or simply desired in good fashion.

This.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4254767 - 05/01/16 01:54 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Don't mess with horses. They're essentially a good way to get killed. All it takes is one awful, murderous, horse-eating plastic bag and you're airborne. Or frantically grasping for a pocketknife so you can cut yourself free from a stirrup while you're being drug through mesquite trees.

I grew up riding them from when I was in single digits all through college and I hate them with a passion. Teach him to work on small engines instead.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4255178 - 05/02/16 06:03 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: marko1231123]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Originally Posted By: marko1231123
Giving it some thought.
I would say basic domestic skills cooking ironing how to clean your living space properly is vital
To my shame when I moved out of my parents home I could not cook Iron etc
My mother did it all for us as kids She did it out of love but she also did her kids no favours by doing this
It took me quite awhile to learn the basic domestic skills I needed to live.
Most of my income was spent getting my clothes laundered and on take outs, As for cleaning my idea was to throw everything in to a draw and close it, LoL when your living on your own in a bedsit there's nobody to teach you the basics I had to learn the hard way my dad had taught me some DIY skills etc.
Thinking about it even in school my days the boys did carpentry or metal work the girls did home Economics.
The first time I tried to lauder my clothes did not end well I ended up having to throw most of my wardrobe away
Nobody had told me you don't mix colours with whites.LoL

This is what I'm trying to teach my 14 yr old son right now, I don't believe his Mom makes him do it at her house but at my house now that he's in HS I make him wash/dry & Fold his clothes. I was amazed when my cousin told me he did his daughter's laundry all the way through HS. Like you mentioned, that teaches them nothing and is a very important skill to learn

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4255258 - 05/02/16 09:37 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
ATAG_Bliss Offline
ATAG_Bliss  Offline

Man skills to me will always be using your hands. I grew up on a farm in the midwest. So every single day involved chores, fixing things, being out in the shop etc., and that didn't even come into play getting the corn and beans out at all hours of the night, nor feeding all the hogs. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

I couldn't imagine living in the big city, away from nature, the outside world, or your own little world of being able to do w/e the heck you want. My main hobby is drag racing, so literally any given night of the week, I'm usually out in the shop working, fabricating parts, or w/e for one of my cars. It's like therapy.

Last friday night working out in my "garage". Even had the burn barrel going.

#4255473 - 05/03/16 03:43 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I suppose I should have been a bit more clear on my reasoning for "man" skills.

In today's western society, the work-a-day critical skills are nearly identical for men and women. Everyone regardless of sex should be able to sew a button, put gas in a car, and change a tire. But what skills are simple "man" skills that he can point to that are more or less expected for him to be able to do based on gender.

Yes, it's misogynistic, but I pretty much expect that if there's a pile of firewood needing splitting any man should be able to step up with an axe and get it done without drama. Not that there are piles of firewood needing splitting on a daily basis, but if there were and a man and a woman were standing together looking at it, I know who I think should be the one to step forward and show a little skill.

When a woman puts a nail into wood with both hands on the hammer it's cute. When a man does it, it's just sad.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4255475 - 05/03/16 03:45 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
From another thread, learn how to negotiate a car deal.

#4255477 - 05/03/16 03:48 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: NH2112]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: NH2112
How about getting a job. Or 2. Or 3, if that's what it takes to for you to be able to fulfill your obligations and responsibilities. Nobody is too good to work on a paving crew or as a construction laborer.

Hell they very likely make more than I do.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4255487 - 05/03/16 04:11 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'll chop the wood (BTW, I use a heavyduty framer's hammer all the time), but she'll help stack it and/or help haul it back to the house. It's not a feminist thing at all to her, it's just part of daily exercise that she doesn't want to be denied.

We come home with a car full of groceries or whatever and my father will ask me why I don't bring them all in myself. She'll pick up and carry as much weight as she can handle then go back for more. Of course I get the heavier bags or items (as it should be) and we unload together. He doesn't understand this mindset with either of us, that she actually *wants* to exert herself physically, not just with weights and yoga, but with everyday humdrum activities. This also includes detailing the car and working in the yard, even rolling the garbage cans to the road (long gravel driveway). He just shakes his head.

A different generation, I guess. Our mothers also never gave much thought to having defined abs and muscle tone, as far as I know.

Is chivalry dying?

#4255488 - 05/03/16 04:15 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: MarkG

Is chivalry dying?

Not so much in the South but I'd say yes in other parts of the country. That's just my 2 cents of course. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4255509 - 05/03/16 05:03 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
It is everywhere, and always has been. Being polite hasn't been the norm across the states I've been to, North or South.

The "South" does have a higher rate of pretty women though.

#4255531 - 05/03/16 05:49 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I'm a big fan of GRITS.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4255534 - 05/03/16 06:04 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'm a big fan as well. I like to kiss them too. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4255540 - 05/03/16 06:19 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Grits literally tastes like nothing, it's the picture perfect "mystery food" the ubiquitous prison lunch lady slaps onto your worn out tray biggrin

#4255542 - 05/03/16 06:21 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Peally]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Peally
Grits literally tastes like nothing, it's the picture perfect "mystery food" the ubiquitous prison lunch lady slaps onto your worn out tray biggrin
That's why you are supposed to eat them with lots of butter and salt. smile

#4255563 - 05/03/16 06:53 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Peally]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: Peally

A Southern staple...

For more information about grits, watch "My Cousin Vinny" (1992).

GRITS also taste good. smile

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4255570 - 05/03/16 07:01 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
No, no, no ... GRITS - Girls Raised In The South.

I'm very fond of them; they have a good attitude.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4255606 - 05/03/16 07:59 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: MarkG]  
Jerkzilla Offline
Ay dios mio
Jerkzilla  Offline
Ay dios mio

Originally Posted By: MarkG
I'll chop the wood (BTW, I use a heavyduty framer's hammer all the time), but she'll help stack it and/or help haul it back to the house. It's not a feminist thing at all to her, it's just part of daily exercise that she doesn't want to be denied.

We come home with a car full of groceries or whatever and my father will ask me why I don't bring them all in myself. She'll pick up and carry as much weight as she can handle then go back for more. Of course I get the heavier bags or items (as it should be) and we unload together. He doesn't understand this mindset with either of us, that she actually *wants* to exert herself physically, not just with weights and yoga, but with everyday humdrum activities. This also includes detailing the car and working in the yard, even rolling the garbage cans to the road (long gravel driveway). He just shakes his head.

A different generation, I guess. Our mothers also never gave much thought to having defined abs and muscle tone, as far as I know.

Is chivalry dying?

If it means more women with muscle tone, it couldn't die fast enough cheers

Also, I find it very difficult to point to any skill and say "all men but not all women should be able to do this", other than male dress code stuff, putting on a condom or getting a first prostate exam with dignity.

#4256269 - 05/04/16 11:01 PM Re: "Man" skills [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
What's funny is that I've learned more from my father the past 4 years than I had the previous 40. smile

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.