Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4252912 - 04/25/16 08:48 PM Hearts of Iron IV  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If Paradox hit their mark, this game is out in 6 weeks. I must say there have been few releases in recent memory that I have anticipated quite as much. This game should be epic. Can't wait to give it a go, and Paradox being Paradox I can't see them getting it wrong. I'd give them my money now if they'd get around to taking it, and I've never pre-purchased a game, ever. That says it all.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/hearts-of-iron-iv

Who else is looking forward to this one?

June 6th (of course) is the projected release date.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4252939 - 04/25/16 10:43 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I still to this day can't get 3 to even start...but still watching this one.

#4252957 - 04/25/16 11:24 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You've never been able to run it once? Have you tried bypassing Steam (assuming that's what you have) and running the exe straight from the HOI3 directory? Another common fix for this problem is to clear our the map cache folders, but IIRC that only happens if you've had it running. Sorry to hear Magnum, it's a good game.

#4253000 - 04/26/16 01:56 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
I could never get into HoI 2 or EU III but after playing Crusader Kings I gave EU IV a shot and have been hooked since. I don't know what they changed but Paradox's new games are so much more playable than the old stuff. Definitely looking forward to the new Hearts of Iron.
Looks like they've made some good changes to gameplay mechanics and UI.

Which country to play first?

Japan, try to avoid war with America and seize China, Vietnam and the Philippines, or push west into the Soviet Union when the Germans attack?

Sweden, good resources and a leg up on their Nordic neighbours. Turn fascist and create a Scandinavian union.

Italy, do better than Il Duce. Shouldn't be too hard. wink

Australia, being an Aussie I have to give this one a go. Probably not much to do other than follow history with the Allies.

Argentina/Brazil, lots of opportunities in South America.

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4253005 - 04/26/16 02:19 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've been pondering this as well. I think I read somewhere along the lines that there will be a tutorial, and if I recall correctly it's as Italy. So it might be natural to continue on, but I don't want to play Italy first.

Like in EU IV, I will eventually be drawn to the minor nations I imagine, but for a first game I will want to play something at the top end of the power scale. I'm thinking the US. Yeah I know. A bit of a homer so what smile Until I can get to grips with the mechanics, and in particular things like politics and diplomacy, it might be best to carry a big stick.

So many intriguing possibilities. I completely agree about Paradox's ability to improve, streamline and make the game more intuitive than its predecessor, though this is a different team than EU IV of course. Still, it looks to be a great game. If it delivers everything it's promising it will be.

I hope there ends up being a very sandbox feel to things, especially in terms of alliances, but also in things like tech (giving a somewhat asymmetric feel to different nations). I want events to always be following a new course from game to game, like your maps in EU IV SDE. I believe there is a historical mode? Which I gather might be sort of like EU IVs lucky nations, striving for a more historical outcome, and I suppose a more historical alignment of nations. But I love EU IVs ability to vary so wildly from one playthrough to the next and I hope there is a similar feel to HOI IV.

We should have a big SimHQ multiplayer game of this.

#4253019 - 04/26/16 02:54 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Yep, there is an option to ensure the AI chooses the historical national focuses so you'll get a a war between the UK and France against Germany over Poland starting in late '39.

Personally I will never use this option. France and Germany allied against Britain, a re-united Austria-Hungary, the US of A pulling off a war plan red and invading Canada (and Mexico while we're at it)

I've read history, I plan to see what could have been. biggrin

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4253021 - 04/26/16 03:01 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Exactly, well said. thumbsup

#4256866 - 05/06/16 05:13 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Looking forward to this one biggrin

#4257021 - 05/06/16 02:34 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If Paradox hits the mark it's out in one month. I'm itching to invade someone. And then get crushed by a coalition.

#4261342 - 05/18/16 07:57 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Pre-orders are now available for those who are into that sort of thing...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394360/

#4261458 - 05/18/16 04:13 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've never pre-ordered anything and even though I was saying I would be happy to pre-order this one, there isn't anything in the goodies list that I really want. So I might wait for release and snap it up then. Curious though, the tanks and cruisers are exclusive for pre-orders or does it mean they don't need to be researched in the game if you pre-order?

#4261476 - 05/18/16 05:02 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
I think those are just the cosmetic more detailed 3D sprites for when you zoom in, like some of the cosmetic DLC in EU4 and CK2.

BTW the pre-order keys are pretty cheap on some of the partner sites (Imperialgames $28.89, GrenManGaming $29.99 using code IRON25), I picked it up from the first one and got my Steam key activated already.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4261502 - 05/18/16 06:04 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: kludger]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted By: kludger
I think those are just the cosmetic more detailed 3D sprites for when you zoom in, like some of the cosmetic DLC in EU4 and CK2.

That makes sense. Not sure what I was on. Good stuff probably smile

#4261536 - 05/18/16 08:15 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: kludger]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: kludger

BTW the pre-order keys are pretty cheap on some of the partner sites (Imperialgames $28.89, GrenManGaming $29.99 using code IRON25), I picked it up from the first one and got my Steam key activated already.

I got Stellaris from Imperial, smooth transaction no issues.

I'll pass on this for the time being. All I need is something else to suck my time. Right now I can't decide whether Stellaris is taking away my Eve time or if Eve is taking away my Stellaris time!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4264190 - 05/26/16 04:14 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Resistance is futile JC. You're going to see us all talking about our empires and how awesome it is and realize that Iceland or Liberia will never be truly great without your personal guidance and you will be assimilated!

Latest dev diary (one week old)

Dev Diary 5/20

#4264257 - 05/26/16 06:54 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
CDkeys.com has a pre-order key for the Cadet version at $26.45 now, that's where I pre-ordered Stellaris from with good results.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4264271 - 05/26/16 07:41 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: DBond
Resistance is futile JC. You're going to see us all talking about our empires and how awesome it is and realize that Iceland or Liberia will never be truly great without your personal guidance and you will be assimilated!

Latest dev diary (one week old)

Dev Diary 5/20

NONONO I'm not looking! I'm not reading!! I'm not...Cdkeys.....good price....must...not...give...in.....

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4266940 - 06/04/16 01:12 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
.....so I got my key in email today......

-Robert Heinlein
#4267057 - 06/04/16 08:04 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Assimilation complete

Has anyone watched any Let's Play videos? Just stopped by the Paradox forums and read a few threads and it seems that there is quite a bit of concern about various things, especially AI. There's also an undertone of negativity from folks that were certain day one buyers but who now seem far less eager due to things they've seen. But I was unable to tell what exactly that is.

Now, this is to be expected of course. EU IV is one of my favorite, most-played games of all time and there would be similar threads about that game. But there feels like there is something to it about HoI IV but not sure what precisely.

AI and Battleplans seemed to be among the main issues. But in general I'm getting a feel that combat is one of the weakest aspects and it needs to be one of the strongest in a game like this.

We will know alot more in a few days.

#4267066 - 06/04/16 08:22 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
I think #%&*$# who haven't gotten the game are an unfortunate side effect of all games. They cry and bemoan and diss the game based on a couple of videos, thinking they know oh-so-better.

Why I seldom visit official forums, too many idiots.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.