Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4252912 - 04/25/16 08:48 PM Hearts of Iron IV  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If Paradox hit their mark, this game is out in 6 weeks. I must say there have been few releases in recent memory that I have anticipated quite as much. This game should be epic. Can't wait to give it a go, and Paradox being Paradox I can't see them getting it wrong. I'd give them my money now if they'd get around to taking it, and I've never pre-purchased a game, ever. That says it all.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/hearts-of-iron-iv

Who else is looking forward to this one?

June 6th (of course) is the projected release date.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4252939 - 04/25/16 10:43 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I still to this day can't get 3 to even start...but still watching this one.

#4252957 - 04/25/16 11:24 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You've never been able to run it once? Have you tried bypassing Steam (assuming that's what you have) and running the exe straight from the HOI3 directory? Another common fix for this problem is to clear our the map cache folders, but IIRC that only happens if you've had it running. Sorry to hear Magnum, it's a good game.

#4253000 - 04/26/16 01:56 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
I could never get into HoI 2 or EU III but after playing Crusader Kings I gave EU IV a shot and have been hooked since. I don't know what they changed but Paradox's new games are so much more playable than the old stuff. Definitely looking forward to the new Hearts of Iron.
Looks like they've made some good changes to gameplay mechanics and UI.

Which country to play first?

Japan, try to avoid war with America and seize China, Vietnam and the Philippines, or push west into the Soviet Union when the Germans attack?

Sweden, good resources and a leg up on their Nordic neighbours. Turn fascist and create a Scandinavian union.

Italy, do better than Il Duce. Shouldn't be too hard. wink

Australia, being an Aussie I have to give this one a go. Probably not much to do other than follow history with the Allies.

Argentina/Brazil, lots of opportunities in South America.

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4253005 - 04/26/16 02:19 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've been pondering this as well. I think I read somewhere along the lines that there will be a tutorial, and if I recall correctly it's as Italy. So it might be natural to continue on, but I don't want to play Italy first.

Like in EU IV, I will eventually be drawn to the minor nations I imagine, but for a first game I will want to play something at the top end of the power scale. I'm thinking the US. Yeah I know. A bit of a homer so what smile Until I can get to grips with the mechanics, and in particular things like politics and diplomacy, it might be best to carry a big stick.

So many intriguing possibilities. I completely agree about Paradox's ability to improve, streamline and make the game more intuitive than its predecessor, though this is a different team than EU IV of course. Still, it looks to be a great game. If it delivers everything it's promising it will be.

I hope there ends up being a very sandbox feel to things, especially in terms of alliances, but also in things like tech (giving a somewhat asymmetric feel to different nations). I want events to always be following a new course from game to game, like your maps in EU IV SDE. I believe there is a historical mode? Which I gather might be sort of like EU IVs lucky nations, striving for a more historical outcome, and I suppose a more historical alignment of nations. But I love EU IVs ability to vary so wildly from one playthrough to the next and I hope there is a similar feel to HOI IV.

We should have a big SimHQ multiplayer game of this.

#4253019 - 04/26/16 02:54 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Yep, there is an option to ensure the AI chooses the historical national focuses so you'll get a a war between the UK and France against Germany over Poland starting in late '39.

Personally I will never use this option. France and Germany allied against Britain, a re-united Austria-Hungary, the US of A pulling off a war plan red and invading Canada (and Mexico while we're at it)

I've read history, I plan to see what could have been. biggrin

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4253021 - 04/26/16 03:01 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Exactly, well said. thumbsup

#4256866 - 05/06/16 05:13 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Looking forward to this one biggrin

#4257021 - 05/06/16 02:34 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If Paradox hits the mark it's out in one month. I'm itching to invade someone. And then get crushed by a coalition.

#4261342 - 05/18/16 07:57 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Pre-orders are now available for those who are into that sort of thing...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394360/

#4261458 - 05/18/16 04:13 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've never pre-ordered anything and even though I was saying I would be happy to pre-order this one, there isn't anything in the goodies list that I really want. So I might wait for release and snap it up then. Curious though, the tanks and cruisers are exclusive for pre-orders or does it mean they don't need to be researched in the game if you pre-order?

#4261476 - 05/18/16 05:02 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
I think those are just the cosmetic more detailed 3D sprites for when you zoom in, like some of the cosmetic DLC in EU4 and CK2.

BTW the pre-order keys are pretty cheap on some of the partner sites (Imperialgames $28.89, GrenManGaming $29.99 using code IRON25), I picked it up from the first one and got my Steam key activated already.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4261502 - 05/18/16 06:04 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: kludger]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted By: kludger
I think those are just the cosmetic more detailed 3D sprites for when you zoom in, like some of the cosmetic DLC in EU4 and CK2.

That makes sense. Not sure what I was on. Good stuff probably smile

#4261536 - 05/18/16 08:15 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: kludger]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: kludger

BTW the pre-order keys are pretty cheap on some of the partner sites (Imperialgames $28.89, GrenManGaming $29.99 using code IRON25), I picked it up from the first one and got my Steam key activated already.

I got Stellaris from Imperial, smooth transaction no issues.

I'll pass on this for the time being. All I need is something else to suck my time. Right now I can't decide whether Stellaris is taking away my Eve time or if Eve is taking away my Stellaris time!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4264190 - 05/26/16 04:14 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Resistance is futile JC. You're going to see us all talking about our empires and how awesome it is and realize that Iceland or Liberia will never be truly great without your personal guidance and you will be assimilated!

Latest dev diary (one week old)

Dev Diary 5/20

#4264257 - 05/26/16 06:54 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
CDkeys.com has a pre-order key for the Cadet version at $26.45 now, that's where I pre-ordered Stellaris from with good results.

#4264271 - 05/26/16 07:41 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: DBond
Resistance is futile JC. You're going to see us all talking about our empires and how awesome it is and realize that Iceland or Liberia will never be truly great without your personal guidance and you will be assimilated!

Latest dev diary (one week old)

Dev Diary 5/20

NONONO I'm not looking! I'm not reading!! I'm not...Cdkeys.....good price....must...not...give...in.....

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4266940 - 06/04/16 01:12 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
.....so I got my key in email today......

-Robert Heinlein
#4267057 - 06/04/16 08:04 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Assimilation complete

Has anyone watched any Let's Play videos? Just stopped by the Paradox forums and read a few threads and it seems that there is quite a bit of concern about various things, especially AI. There's also an undertone of negativity from folks that were certain day one buyers but who now seem far less eager due to things they've seen. But I was unable to tell what exactly that is.

Now, this is to be expected of course. EU IV is one of my favorite, most-played games of all time and there would be similar threads about that game. But there feels like there is something to it about HoI IV but not sure what precisely.

AI and Battleplans seemed to be among the main issues. But in general I'm getting a feel that combat is one of the weakest aspects and it needs to be one of the strongest in a game like this.

We will know alot more in a few days.

#4267066 - 06/04/16 08:22 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
I think #%&*$# who haven't gotten the game are an unfortunate side effect of all games. They cry and bemoan and diss the game based on a couple of videos, thinking they know oh-so-better.

Why I seldom visit official forums, too many idiots.

#4267113 - 06/05/16 12:15 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
The Paradox forums are like Steam forums, always full of negativity... most of those people will nitpick the best of things.

I just ignore them, from watching these let's plays, it looks terrific and I look forward to playing it:

#4267312 - 06/05/16 06:13 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Heart of Iron IV beginners videos from Paradox:

Battle Planner

Division Designer

Air Force

Construction

Production and Deployment

#4267362 - 06/05/16 09:34 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've been hanging out there for a few years and I get what you guys are saying. I know the scoop. But it just seemed to be something to it this time. Anyhow, I'll still get it. And even if it were to have some serious issues it'll be worked out, as Paradox is known for doing.

Who is playing who for the first game.

I still haven't decided. Prolly Murica.

#4267369 - 06/05/16 09:53 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
I'll probably try Germany for my first one, should be decently strong in the early game while I learn.

#4267486 - 06/06/16 10:28 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I haven't decided either, but either Murica (cuz Murica) or Germany.

-Robert Heinlein
#4267509 - 06/06/16 11:18 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Sweden. It's a Paradox game, you know they'll be op. Nazi Germany look out, world conquest by 1937 for sure.

biggrin

#4267548 - 06/06/16 02:11 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Happy release day.

Whoever gets it please remember to pause and come here for an update and let us know what your early impressions are.

I probably won't pick it up today as I have another game I want to finish and if I get HOI I probably won't.

#4267636 - 06/06/16 05:48 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Download on Steam is less than a gig. Paradox, if nothing else, is great about the footprint of their games, and size of the updates, DLC, etc. When I get a DLC for EU IV, I have to double check that it actually installed. It's so small I miss it entirely.

So HOI will download in less than 5 minutes. Not bad!

Early indications on Paradox forums seem about normal. No major dramas, but the usual assortment of pet issues that always dominate at this point. You know, great game, but I want a refund because there is no achievement for Laos, and my neighbor three doors down is from Laos!

I'm such a map guy. Love maps. Liking what I see from the HOI maps. So who has kicked off their adventure?

#4267797 - 06/07/16 02:50 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
mugwump Offline
mugwump  Offline

Vancouver, Canuckistan
Pretty disappointed with it so far. They've stripped out too much of what I liked about HOI III. That might come in time with DLC. I hope they re-introduce more information screens. I appreciate the fact that they tried to clean up the interface and condense data down to one screen but there's just too much important information that's not available to the player.

I'm going to put this one on the back burner for a while until it gets more polish.

S = k ln W
#4267815 - 06/07/16 04:39 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
I tried a quick "what the heck am I doing" camnpaign as Germany.

Supported Franco and managed to win the Spanish Civil War.
Took the diplomatic road, and allied the heck out of everyone I could.
Eventually I got pulled into Hungary's war with Czechoslovakia, which triggered the full war.
Decided to try to break the Maginot Line - ouch! I think the battle for one province went on for 2 years.
Italy rolled up France from the south and eventually conquered it(!).
Soviet Union picked off my allies one at a time..

Ended it when I went to bed, intesterest to see how I could turn it around (I didn't have the "historical focus" activated).

#4267850 - 06/07/16 10:28 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Got it and am still learning. Some things I like very much (how armies, fronts and battle plans now work), some things I'm not sure about (AI blunders when on defense).

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4268243 - 06/08/16 01:21 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the reports. How's the performance? Does it run well? I might wait for the first couple of hotfixes/patches before picking it up.

#4268510 - 06/09/16 06:40 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Runs silky smooth for me. Even loads up a good bit quicker than EU4.

#4268633 - 06/09/16 02:56 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks SDE, how do you like the game?

#4268705 - 06/09/16 07:58 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Right now I think there are a couple of problems with the game. There isn't a lot of feedback, from the lack of messages when a new division gets activated or a battleship is produced to the lack of information when enemy armies invade your territory or information about the air war. The battle plans are kinda wonky, with the AI constantly shuffling units around in the operations zone and not using units (especially tank and motorized divisions) correctly. The GUI for theaters/armies is well done and easily accessible, but commanding fleets and air wings is unnecessary complicated and not very intuitive. And the AI is from my experience pretty prone to stupid blunders.

The game has potential, but ATM I doubt I will play much more until at least some of the major problems are fixed.

And releasing a game like HoI 4 without a manual and instead relying on a Wiki page is a bloody shame.

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 06/09/16 07:59 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#4268799 - 06/10/16 04:51 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Thanks SDE, how do you like the game?

As others have said there is a huge amount of room for improvement in almost every area of the game. Nevertheless HoI4 is quite enjoyable. Much better than HoI 3 without expansions that's for sure. smile

I also don't play as 'hardcore' as some people so what might be a minor issue for me could be game-breaking for others.

#4268857 - 06/10/16 01:25 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
I had it and got a Steam refund. Without a manual....and the Wiki is L A M E, makes it impossible to play well.

Back to War in the Pacific for me...

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4268862 - 06/10/16 01:59 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
With the caveat that I haven't played it yet, it's disappointing that between Stellaris and HOI, Paradox has just had two lackluster releases. We've talked about how Paradox continues to evolve their games and they have a track record of continued support and improvement. But still, they aren't helping themselves by releasing games that core audience players are finding incomplete.

Both of these games could be masterpieces a year from now, and I look at games like EU IV to show how much improvement and evolution Paradox games can undergo when they've had some time to season. But if you want to expand your customer base, you need to have a great game at launch, or those new players are going to give it a miss.

#4269123 - 06/11/16 10:42 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Yes. There are many things that HoI4 really does very well. But I can't help but feel the game has been released 6 months too early.

#4269381 - 06/12/16 02:32 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Now that the games been out for a few days does anyone want to share some tips or tricks?

I've been wondering about the Air Forces, in particular strategic bombers. I can't see any obvious way to see what, if any damage they're doing to industry. Seems negligible. Maybe it adds up over several months..?
Instead I've focused on fighters and cas/tac bombers. The fighters give the air superiority modifier which helps out in battles and the light bombers inflict a (small) amount of damage to the enemy's organisation.

So, are strat bombers worth it at all or I am better off saving my factories for something else? Maybe replacing towed arty with sp.

#4269879 - 06/14/16 02:57 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Oh yeah, I'd also like a proper manual. The wiki lacks info on a lot of mechanics. For instance what difference does 'reinforce rate +5%' make?

#4270114 - 06/14/16 07:53 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
+1 on the manual. It seems pretty weak to set up a wiki and expect the users to populate it. There are a bunch of entries I've tried to check out that are placeholders for someone (not Paradox it seems) to fill in the blanks.

-Robert Heinlein
#4270655 - 06/16/16 12:31 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Don't have the game yet, but want to get if only to discuss strateegery. There's a surprising lack of threads 'round here discussing that sort of stuff for all of the games. I've got a different game addiction at the mo, but when that burns out I will get HOI I'm sure.

Now that it's been out for a week and a half what's the verdict in it's current state. Lot's of potential but plenty of issues is the sense I get. Off the mark?

#4270970 - 06/17/16 10:29 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Still hooked on Civ?

I've played enough to get a (very) basic feel for it. It's definitely something I will pursue after my Eve relapse subsides.

-Robert Heinlein
#4271024 - 06/17/16 01:40 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, Civ V. Addictive. From about 2009 through 2013 I didn't play or buy any games really. Got married, had a son, moved to another state. Just no time. The upshot is that's 4 years worth of games I missed that were new to me when I got back in to it. Civ V is one of 'em. But I have this problem see, where I get a game I like and play the 'ell out of it. That inevitably leads to burn out and a search for the next addiction. I'm itching to give HOI IV a go, but not so bad to let it mature a bit I suppose.

#4271363 - 06/18/16 04:23 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I went through a similar spell - absolutely no interest in gaming. I would dabble in a few things from time to time, but no really compelling interest. I seem to be back in a gaming mood lately though. Like you, I tend to gravitate toward one particular game. My current addiction is Eve. That one seems to suck me back in every few years.

Too bad, because both Stellaris and HOI4 have me interested in a way Paradox games never really got me before. EUIV had me interested, but it couldn't keep me engaged. I played enough HOI4 to feel like I was getting it, and that might have some staying power. Unless I get an early Eve burnout (seems possible, the big war is over now and things have slowed down a bit) I'll basically have to start from scratch on HOI (or Stellaris, whichever I find myself into).

I still find EUIV intriguing...maybe HOI/Stellaris will turn into a "gateway" game for me to get a little more into that one!

-Robert Heinlein
#4271368 - 06/18/16 04:45 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
EU IV is probably my favorite grand strategy title. But I understand that it's not for everyone. It's quite a different game from where it started. Paradox has added, and changed, so much in the 3 years since release.

Steam summer sale is approaching, and I suspect the EU IV DLC will be in it. SDE and I would be happy to have someone else to talk to in the EU IV thread anyway if you choose to give it another go smile

#4271559 - 06/19/16 03:44 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I actually check in on that thread from time to time. The game still piques my curiosity and I will try it out again, but at this point it sits a little further back in the queue!

-Robert Heinlein
#4272228 - 06/22/16 08:58 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Little hints, might be obvious to some but it helped me. smile

When creating air wings and fleets, don't make one big mob, split them up into multiple small groups. It greatly increases the chances of successfully finding and engaging the enemy, then the other wings/fleets can reinforce.

The AI doesn't build many tanks, and almost never builds heavies. They'll spam infantry until they have 300 divisions sitting around but they don't like armour. Don't bother with anti-tank guns or tank destroyers, find ways to increase your soft attack. Rockets, line and support artillery, doctrines etc.

Don't try to ally or create factions with France or Italy, they have focus trees to join the allies and axis, automatically leaving your own alliance.

Always research computing and decryption. As well as the research time boost you get a recon advantage in battle if you have better decryption than the enemies encryption.

Marines and mountaineers are really useful, keep them as a reserve for offensives that cross rivers or mountains, that would otherwise stop your armies dead.

Always train your armies with field exercises, you get a 25% boost to combat ability and xp to use on variants and division changes.

When fighting a naval invasion outside of a port, don't fight them on the beaches, let them land and cut them off. Starving them out while avoiding casualties of your own.

#4273484 - 06/26/16 03:19 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
More advice:

Build lots of naval bombers, second only to fighters. Torpedo bombers help out in battles are port strikes are absolutely devastating! Who needs a navy when you have an airforce? biggrin

Don't bother with Field Marshals, use Generals and split your front up into 3 or 4 flanks, each with their own orders. The AI is rubbish at managing a large front so take it out of their hands. Also reduces the amount of micromanaging needed for pincers and encirclements.

#4274026 - 06/28/16 12:49 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Found my first bug last night. Fascist Libya lacks a colour or ruler portrait.

I guess the devs weren't expecting Vichy France to 'liberate' Italian colonies. biggrin

#4275782 - 07/04/16 04:27 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
AbuM Offline
AbuM  Offline

About the fronts, I was thinking that what might be a good idea would be to separate out the leg infantry from the mobile formations. That way you give the large front the leg infantry and then you add in the mobile units with their own fronts which overlap with the large front. The idea being that you don't have to do nearly as much micromanagement while at the same time you can get the AI to semi-complex maneuvers. The leg infantry fill in any gaps while the mobile formations try to flank or cut off enemy forces.

Unity is power.
#4276340 - 07/06/16 01:26 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Sounds like a good idea. I'd try it out but the AI passed out in my last game.

Just how broken is the AI? Well...

#4277262 - 07/08/16 03:24 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
What are we seeing there SDE? Sorry, I'm uninitiated. Is Germany losing despite a 10-fold advantage?

#4277289 - 07/08/16 04:41 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
So absurd there is no manual for this game... Still.

I got my Steam refund but I keep looking to see if they make a manual (heck, I just want PDF). If they did, I'd buy it.

Oh well.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4277549 - 07/09/16 10:26 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
What are we seeing there SDE? Sorry, I'm uninitiated. Is Germany losing despite a 10-fold advantage?

Pretty much, little Netherlands (me) just rolled over the Reich and captured Berlin inflicting over 100,000 casualties despite being outnumbered 10-1.
I'd like to say I'm just that good, but unfortunately the AI is just that bad. biggrin

Now multiplayer is another thing but until Paradox come back from their holidays and release a patch or two there's not much game to play. Steamrolling half the world as the Dutch may be hilarious but it's not much fun in the end. Any nation can do it since the AI won't defend their borders and simply lets you encircle them.
It worked fine on release but since the last patch the AI is literally non existent.

Other people still seem able to play so maybe it's just a bug on my end...

#4277958 - 07/10/16 10:04 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
The Chinese super soldier program is going better than expected. hahaha banghead

#4278715 - 07/13/16 04:01 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, that's the sort of thing that would make the game frustrating to play. What causes it? Does the AI not know how to utilize it's forces, and they are fed piecemeal? Or is it that the much smaller force can defeat the larger one in straight-up combat? Or is it something like morale, poor plans, etc? Any feel for why this occurs?

#4278824 - 07/14/16 12:42 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
It seems to be a bug, other people are playing just fine, even if they complain about the AI but after the hotfix patch my AI has been completely broken.
I've tried playing around in the console to see if I could kick start it by togglin AI on/off but nope. It'll use ships and planes, build and deploy but won't move ground units at all. Divisions just sit where they were deployed. If I don't intervene the Spanish Civil War it will never end because both sides stay at home.
They will actually fight if you engage them, but unless forces were already lined up on the border when the game started it's simply a matter of walking your troops around the enemy to encircle them and waiting for the organisation to collapse from lack of supplies, then one division can simply roll over and capture 20 divisions...

#4279513 - 07/16/16 06:04 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Free China from oppressive Tibetan rule!

wink

#4286256 - 08/10/16 10:09 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

I love this game although it does have issues. My main gripe is how the National Focus works. It does not react to actual situation. In one of my playthroughs i played as democratic Poland. I managed to beat the Reich. In 1940 it became German Republic and it joined the Allies. The USA though used it's NF to attack the Germans (thinking it is still the Reich). So now it's all of the Allies vs USA. A bit stupid IMHO.

#4602374 - 06/25/22 01:09 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
From day-one certain purchase to six years on, but I finally bought this game in the Steam Summer sale. I'll ease in to it but expect a thread smile

I bought the starter edition for like $21 which includes several expansions. I might have bought the ultimate or whatever edition, but I'm paying for music and that won't do. I'll add the other expansions while skipping the fluff, should the game prove well suited to me, or I to it.

#4602412 - 06/26/22 01:13 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Looking at the starter pack, I'd recommend picking up La Resistance (adds espionage with a bunch of possibilities) and Man The Guns (naval improvements, ship design, alternate history possibilities for US and Britain and a few others). At least I found them enjoyable. I keep looking at this one in my library, and thinking about starting up a new campaign. But do I remember how to play it though.....

-Robert Heinlein
#4602426 - 06/26/22 07:35 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey JC, thanks man. That's helpful. I'm one of the few EU IV players to embrace the maritime and naval side of the game, so maybe I'll like it in HOI4 as well. I'll pick that one up.

Not sure how I'll kick this off. I played the tutorial as Italy for a half hour and got a cursory feel for how things work, but that's just the surface of a game like this.

I'm thinking about making my first proper go Brazil.

#4602440 - 06/26/22 10:51 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I think I did that as well - Brazil as a starter. IIRC there wasn't really much going on in SA so I didn't spend much time there.
I found the USSR campaign to be very approachable as my first full blown attempt at the game. I also found a video playthrough and more or less
followed their lead. Some random things wind up happening that make your playthrough different but there was enough similarity I was able to use it as a guide
to help get a handle on the game.

-Robert Heinlein
#4602471 - 06/27/22 12:14 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I reasoned Brazil is a good early choice as it seems South America is your personal playground. USA guarantees all of these nations but only against attack from overseas. Overseas guarantees, I like it. I'm not sure what the goal is here, like overall objective? Is there a winning condition? Or is it more like EU IV, sandbox with no end goal aside from those conjured up by the player?

I fired it up and played through day one haha. Didn't even advance the date yet. I have to see every option, button and menu, and start to decipher them. How do you trade? What research path makes sense early on? How should I allocate my production? How do I recruit, and assign to larger formations? Do I even want to? How do generals work? How can I see opinions of me? Standard Paradox fare, and I'm at the stage where I know little and must learn the mechanics, and what is possible (or not).

There are 150 achievements in HOI4. Of course achievement hunting was a favorite pastime of mine in EU IV, but here they are quite specific, and unique to nations, and it will be harder to pile them up. Minor point, but something I like to pursue in Paradox games. As such my first run is ironman, but that's the proper way to play games like this isn't it? No mulligans, take it as it comes.

Comparisons to other Paradox games are natural, and for me especially EU IV with so much time in that title. I'm hoping that experience lends itself to getting up to speed with Hearts of Iron. It's all in the tooltips smile

#4602500 - 06/27/22 07:40 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Yes, Brazil is a good start. Just make sure you don't declare war on somebody that's guaranteed by anybody but the US. You can pretty much do as you want.

To trade, depending on your export policy it's mostly automated for exports. To import a resource you need go to the trade window, click on the resource you need and find a friendly or neutral country that has a supply of that resource. You'll trade 1 civ factory for every 8 of that resource you import.

It's a sandbox like EU4, particularly when running a minor nation like Brazil. Just do what you want. There's no win condition.

You can almost never go wrong with computing and industry techs. The computing reduces research time for every other tech. Industry lets you build more industries as well as increasing production caps.
Dispersed vs Concentrated, dispersed is better if you plan on being strategic bombed or if you're going to keep changing production lines as it keeps part of the production efficiency when you switch. Concentrated increased the efficiency cap, so if you're gonna have some production runs that keep going and wont change it can be a plus. That's at the expense of being more vulnerable to strategic bombing.
And if you don't have access to oil, you may need the synthetic refining tree. Shouldn't be a problem in South America though.

#4602509 - 06/27/22 10:26 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, Brazil seems in a good position at the start, relatively safe in world affairs, but in the best position regarding local affairs. Take over South America, and then hitch your wagon to whichever side you want. But it's probably true that I have to forge an ideological path before that.

Thanks for the info wormfood. I was asking those questions rhetorically, but I appreciate your insight. Any other tips, or obvious choices or courses would be good too.

When you guys played Brazil, assuming wormfood has, did you hitch your wagon to the allies or axis or neither?

#4602511 - 06/27/22 10:58 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
I've tried to side with the Axis, Allies, Comintern, and just make my own South American Faction. If playing with historical AI, it's usually easier to side with the Allies as they are closer to you and generally just steamroll you if you side with the Axis and aren't quite prepared for that...sometimes even if you are prepared for that. Maybe that's just me though.

If you do decide to get in on the whole world war thing as a small country like that, it helps to focus on one small part of the war. Just focus on subs and mines and try to cutoff the shipping and supplies of your enemies. Or, focus on aircraft and try to hold the airwar on particular front for your faction. Or, if you really just want to autopilot it, send your manpower and weapons to your allies and let them handle the fighting. Or, maybe you're fighting Germany and their subs are causing complete havoc, so build some good anti sub destroyers and aircraft and hunt them down. Your just a minor part of the faction, so find something they're not doing well and help them out there.

There's an option at the start for historical AI, try playing with that both on and off. You can get some very, very different outcomes in global events with that off.

In the old days, before the whole espionage thing, you could spend political points to cause other countries to drift to your ideology. So, for example, you could rush Axis and turn Great Britian fascist fairly early. It was kinda bonkers and broken. You can't do that now and with the civilian factory requirements it's tough to get that going with a small starting country. In some ways I miss that since you could greatly alter the world playing as a minor country

If you get tired of the ww2 part of it, there's the Road to '56 mod that adds more research trees as well as focuses bringing the game into early cold war stuff. Old World Blues is a mod that changes everything to the Fallout universe right after the great war....only what's covered in the games though, so it's mostly the US with bits of Canada and Mexico. They're expanding it though.
Kaissereich is an alternate reality where Germany won WW1 and it starts in the 30's. It's a very different world.
There's also a few that change the start and end dates to either cover WW1 or start at 1910 or so and lets you play through to the end of WW2.

#4602529 - 06/28/22 11:31 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I didn’t spend munch time with Brazil, just enough to play with a few of the game mechanics/menus/etc. I dropped it and went on my USSR run that I wrote up in the Let’s Play thread.

-Robert Heinlein
#4602653 - 06/30/22 02:39 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've managed to play HOI4 for 2.5 hours now and still haven't made it past day two. Gotta love it smile

Each new thing requires learning about it. Like division templates, or military doctrine, production lines. Do I want to form corps or armies? Should I be building new ships in the first week? All of this is rhetorical once again as I'm just describing each new hurdle that comes along, forcing me to seek answers, learn the mechanics. I've played thousands of hours of Paradox grand strat games, so I think I understand it on a macro level. I could just plow ahead and learn as I go, but that won't do lol.

Lots to learn. I need to spend the next week on the Paradox boards.

#4602658 - 06/30/22 04:03 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
I've managed to play HOI4 for 2.5 hours now and still haven't made it past day two. Gotta love it smile

Each new thing requires learning about it. Like division templates, or military doctrine, production lines. Do I want to form corps or armies? Should I be building new ships in the first week? All of this is rhetorical once again as I'm just describing each new hurdle that comes along, forcing me to seek answers, learn the mechanics. I've played thousands of hours of Paradox grand strat games, so I think I understand it on a macro level. I could just plow ahead and learn as I go, but that won't do lol.

Lots to learn. I need to spend the next week on the Paradox boards.

Your post touched a bit on why HOI4 didn't do it for me. It's just simply way too much micro-management for my tastes.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4602661 - 06/30/22 04:39 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, you've mentioned that before, and I get it. Paradox's formula doesn't work for everyone, although I think it's awesome. The micro is a draw, and how interwoven and interlocking these micro mechanics are is highly appealing to me. Obviously I'm speaking more on experience (EU IV. CK, Victoria, etc) but I have no reason to expect that Hearts of Iron isn't also like this. Well, clearly it is based on how slowly I've proceeded here haha. But that's OK. In games like this it's natural as rain to do a short primer run, then start over with what you've learned, as JC did. But I still want to know as much as possible before that point comes.

As a student of this history, and with plenty of experience in this sort of game, I think it will come fairly quickly, even if the nuance takes time. It's amazing how much of Europa Universalis is intuition, as you learn to read the tea leaves or how to decipher which way the winds are blowing. You learn how to see it, and how to prepare, react and execute. That takes hundreds of hours to reach that level of understanding I think. So I've a ways to go.

I said I would dive in to the Paradox boards and this is the first thing I've seen

Hearts of Iron Strategy Guide

I was a massive Paradox fan boy, then I wasn't entirely due to their DLC policy (pricing and version conflicts), but I have to hand it to them here. in providing this guide and not sticking a ten dollar price tag on it.

#4602670 - 06/30/22 06:00 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Glad you're still plugging away at it, DB! Can't wait to read a Let's Play from you - you really do those nicely!
Know that even if I don't respond I'm still reading your stuff!

-Robert Heinlein
#4602751 - 07/01/22 02:29 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I will write an AAR-style thread probably, it's what I do haha. But I'm not finding it compelling yet and my start has been drawn-out. Still learning about the various mechanics. It's way too obtuse for me at the mo, and I can't bring myself to proceed with so much unknown. I don't deal well with games like this when I feel I should have done something different along the way. That feeling nags and swells until I can't stand it any more and I start over. So I'm in the information phase and I updated my profile at the Paradox boards to include all the new stuff I've bought haha. I'm sinisalo over there.

#4602752 - 07/01/22 02:40 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I will write an AAR-style thread probably, it's what I do haha. But I'm not finding it compelling yet and my start has been drawn-out. Still learning about the various mechanics. It's way too obtuse for me at the mo, and I can't bring myself to proceed with so much unknown. I don't deal well with games like this when I feel I should have done something different along the way. That feeling nags and swells until I can't stand it any more and I start over. So I'm in the information phase and I updated my profile at the Paradox boards to include all the new stuff I've bought haha. I'm sinisalo over there.

#4602760 - 07/01/22 05:24 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Sounds good - actually sounds great in stereo wink

-Robert Heinlein
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.