Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4269879 - 06/14/16 02:57 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
Oh yeah, I'd also like a proper manual. The wiki lacks info on a lot of mechanics. For instance what difference does 'reinforce rate +5%' make?

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4270114 - 06/14/16 07:53 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
+1 on the manual. It seems pretty weak to set up a wiki and expect the users to populate it. There are a bunch of entries I've tried to check out that are placeholders for someone (not Paradox it seems) to fill in the blanks.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4270655 - 06/16/16 12:31 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Don't have the game yet, but want to get if only to discuss strateegery. There's a surprising lack of threads 'round here discussing that sort of stuff for all of the games. I've got a different game addiction at the mo, but when that burns out I will get HOI I'm sure.

Now that it's been out for a week and a half what's the verdict in it's current state. Lot's of potential but plenty of issues is the sense I get. Off the mark?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4270970 - 06/17/16 10:29 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Still hooked on Civ?

I've played enough to get a (very) basic feel for it. It's definitely something I will pursue after my Eve relapse subsides.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4271024 - 06/17/16 01:40 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, Civ V. Addictive. From about 2009 through 2013 I didn't play or buy any games really. Got married, had a son, moved to another state. Just no time. The upshot is that's 4 years worth of games I missed that were new to me when I got back in to it. Civ V is one of 'em. But I have this problem see, where I get a game I like and play the 'ell out of it. That inevitably leads to burn out and a search for the next addiction. I'm itching to give HOI IV a go, but not so bad to let it mature a bit I suppose.

#4271363 - 06/18/16 04:23 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I went through a similar spell - absolutely no interest in gaming. I would dabble in a few things from time to time, but no really compelling interest. I seem to be back in a gaming mood lately though. Like you, I tend to gravitate toward one particular game. My current addiction is Eve. That one seems to suck me back in every few years.

Too bad, because both Stellaris and HOI4 have me interested in a way Paradox games never really got me before. EUIV had me interested, but it couldn't keep me engaged. I played enough HOI4 to feel like I was getting it, and that might have some staying power. Unless I get an early Eve burnout (seems possible, the big war is over now and things have slowed down a bit) I'll basically have to start from scratch on HOI (or Stellaris, whichever I find myself into).

I still find EUIV intriguing...maybe HOI/Stellaris will turn into a "gateway" game for me to get a little more into that one!

-Robert Heinlein
#4271368 - 06/18/16 04:45 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
EU IV is probably my favorite grand strategy title. But I understand that it's not for everyone. It's quite a different game from where it started. Paradox has added, and changed, so much in the 3 years since release.

Steam summer sale is approaching, and I suspect the EU IV DLC will be in it. SDE and I would be happy to have someone else to talk to in the EU IV thread anyway if you choose to give it another go smile

#4271559 - 06/19/16 03:44 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I actually check in on that thread from time to time. The game still piques my curiosity and I will try it out again, but at this point it sits a little further back in the queue!

-Robert Heinlein
#4272228 - 06/22/16 08:58 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Little hints, might be obvious to some but it helped me. smile

When creating air wings and fleets, don't make one big mob, split them up into multiple small groups. It greatly increases the chances of successfully finding and engaging the enemy, then the other wings/fleets can reinforce.

The AI doesn't build many tanks, and almost never builds heavies. They'll spam infantry until they have 300 divisions sitting around but they don't like armour. Don't bother with anti-tank guns or tank destroyers, find ways to increase your soft attack. Rockets, line and support artillery, doctrines etc.

Don't try to ally or create factions with France or Italy, they have focus trees to join the allies and axis, automatically leaving your own alliance.

Always research computing and decryption. As well as the research time boost you get a recon advantage in battle if you have better decryption than the enemies encryption.

Marines and mountaineers are really useful, keep them as a reserve for offensives that cross rivers or mountains, that would otherwise stop your armies dead.

Always train your armies with field exercises, you get a 25% boost to combat ability and xp to use on variants and division changes.

When fighting a naval invasion outside of a port, don't fight them on the beaches, let them land and cut them off. Starving them out while avoiding casualties of your own.

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4273484 - 06/26/16 03:19 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
More advice:

Build lots of naval bombers, second only to fighters. Torpedo bombers help out in battles are port strikes are absolutely devastating! Who needs a navy when you have an airforce? biggrin

Don't bother with Field Marshals, use Generals and split your front up into 3 or 4 flanks, each with their own orders. The AI is rubbish at managing a large front so take it out of their hands. Also reduces the amount of micromanaging needed for pincers and encirclements.

#4274026 - 06/28/16 12:49 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Found my first bug last night. Fascist Libya lacks a colour or ruler portrait.

I guess the devs weren't expecting Vichy France to 'liberate' Italian colonies. biggrin

#4275782 - 07/04/16 04:27 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
AbuM Offline
AbuM  Offline

About the fronts, I was thinking that what might be a good idea would be to separate out the leg infantry from the mobile formations. That way you give the large front the leg infantry and then you add in the mobile units with their own fronts which overlap with the large front. The idea being that you don't have to do nearly as much micromanagement while at the same time you can get the AI to semi-complex maneuvers. The leg infantry fill in any gaps while the mobile formations try to flank or cut off enemy forces.

Unity is power.
#4276340 - 07/06/16 01:26 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Sounds like a good idea. I'd try it out but the AI passed out in my last game.

Just how broken is the AI? Well...

#4277262 - 07/08/16 03:24 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
What are we seeing there SDE? Sorry, I'm uninitiated. Is Germany losing despite a 10-fold advantage?

#4277289 - 07/08/16 04:41 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
So absurd there is no manual for this game... Still.

I got my Steam refund but I keep looking to see if they make a manual (heck, I just want PDF). If they did, I'd buy it.

Oh well.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4277549 - 07/09/16 10:26 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Originally Posted By: DBond
What are we seeing there SDE? Sorry, I'm uninitiated. Is Germany losing despite a 10-fold advantage?

Pretty much, little Netherlands (me) just rolled over the Reich and captured Berlin inflicting over 100,000 casualties despite being outnumbered 10-1.
I'd like to say I'm just that good, but unfortunately the AI is just that bad. biggrin

Now multiplayer is another thing but until Paradox come back from their holidays and release a patch or two there's not much game to play. Steamrolling half the world as the Dutch may be hilarious but it's not much fun in the end. Any nation can do it since the AI won't defend their borders and simply lets you encircle them.
It worked fine on release but since the last patch the AI is literally non existent.

Other people still seem able to play so maybe it's just a bug on my end...

#4277958 - 07/10/16 10:04 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
The Chinese super soldier program is going better than expected. hahaha banghead

#4278715 - 07/13/16 04:01 PM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, that's the sort of thing that would make the game frustrating to play. What causes it? Does the AI not know how to utilize it's forces, and they are fed piecemeal? Or is it that the much smaller force can defeat the larger one in straight-up combat? Or is it something like morale, poor plans, etc? Any feel for why this occurs?

#4278824 - 07/14/16 12:42 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
It seems to be a bug, other people are playing just fine, even if they complain about the AI but after the hotfix patch my AI has been completely broken.
I've tried playing around in the console to see if I could kick start it by togglin AI on/off but nope. It'll use ships and planes, build and deploy but won't move ground units at all. Divisions just sit where they were deployed. If I don't intervene the Spanish Civil War it will never end because both sides stay at home.
They will actually fight if you engage them, but unless forces were already lined up on the border when the game started it's simply a matter of walking your troops around the enemy to encircle them and waiting for the organisation to collapse from lack of supplies, then one division can simply roll over and capture 20 divisions...

#4279513 - 07/16/16 06:04 AM Re: Hearts of Iron IV [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Free China from oppressive Tibetan rule!

wink

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.