Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 47 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 46 47
#4248914 - 04/12/16 02:58 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Recently diagnosed with Type II diabetes - which came as a total shock to me: I'm 1.90 at 84 kg, giving me a healthy BMI of 23.3. On the other hand, I hardly ever do any sports / movement (except bedroom fitness), and love to eat well (I did learn long time ago to keep the portions relatively small though).
Fortunately it was still in the very early stages - blood sugar level before breakfast was around 7.5 (according to the Dutch guidelines, it should be below 6.0 at that time, and between 6.1 and 6.9 is considered a pre-stage of Diabetes).

Since then I've started paying more attention to my food - more food fibres (difficult in China where most bread is milk white bread and by default rice is the white, instead of the brown variety), more vegetables and less meat; eating a handful of nuts every day and moving more - as I absolutely hate going to the gym, I opted for a brisk walk after dinner. The step counter I use (a Mi band) now shows that I walk over 8,000 steps on average (around 1.5 hours of walking) - before, this was only somewhere between 4- and 5,000 steps.

So far it's not as difficult as I had expected. Let's hope it's enough to keep the Diabetes in check.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4249408 - 04/13/16 02:49 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Sorry to hear that Legend, although it's good that you caught it early.

Wife and I have a history of diabetes in our families. Her obese family members have either almost died in their 40's of the disease (including her brother) or didn't make it past their 50's. My father is diabetic (takes low dose of Metformin) in his 70's but like yourself, isn't overweight. Neither was my diabetic grandmother, who made ice tea resembling syrup. Both had a very sugar-laden diet though, today my father is careful with what he eats.

We do our best to lay low on the sugar, switching from dried fruit (Costco) to dried vegetables at farmers' markets.

That's a half bag (other half already eaten) and it's kind of expensive, a good reason to practice moderation. smile

Attached Files DSCF4742.jpgDSCF4744.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 03/03/17 04:24 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4249417 - 04/13/16 02:56 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
As has been mentioned before, you can take almost any vegetable and roast it in the oven with olive oil and black pepper for an awesome snack.

I never liked cabbage unless in a fried eggroll, but this way is really good (especially the crunchy parts)!

Attached Files Cabbage.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 03/03/17 04:28 AM.
#4251339 - 04/21/16 04:50 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Quick update, because I'm too freggin' tired for anything else! smile

August (just prior to my 49th BD, wife's 5 weeks later), staying six days/five nights in Times Square (Casablanca Hotel). Will conquer Manhattan, from top of Central Park to bottom of Financial District (most southern point) and all points in-between (that's relatively safe) completely on foot, no taxis nor subway (only airport shuttle to and from Newark airport to near hotel).

We're training now at ~20,000 steps/day since Sat. (only 12,000 today due to weather, but not counting 3 miles (4.83 km) on treadmill tonight).

++++++++++

Took body measurements this morning using a sewing tape measure...

Me: 39.25" (99.7 cm) waist (disappointed, not sure how I'm going from 38" (96.5 cm) to 36" (91.4 cm) clothes right now confused ).
Ah well, still shooting for 32" (81.3 cm).

Wife: 31" (78.7 cm) x 27" (68.6 cm) x 37" (94 cm)
Shooting for 30" (76.2 cm) x 25" (63.5 cm) x 36" (91.4 cm) (prediction based on current progress and past history).

Sorry that I'm not converting measurements to cm (maybe tomorrow), I gots to get some sleep now, 'night everyone. sleepy

Last edited by MarkG; 04/21/16 12:38 PM. Reason: Added metric
#4251350 - 04/21/16 06:07 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4251369 - 04/21/16 08:35 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
How many of those? Make me envious wink

#4251375 - 04/21/16 09:06 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Time to join in here guys.

I'm over-weight and have been for a long long time.At 56 it's not easy to get weight off and keep it off.So many failed attempts.

I was almost 120kg 3 months ago but this week have got down to 113kg and this time I'm not stopping.I had blood tests last week to check for diabetes and cholesterol.Blood sugar levels were spot on but cholesterol was a little high.Nurse says I should be 85kgs but I just don't see that as achievable.I'm 6ft btw.

Changing long-established poor eating habits has been hard. I would kill for fish and chips right now and it's only 10 am.

Last edited by Chucky; 04/21/16 09:07 AM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4251410 - 04/21/16 01:01 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
What Timothy is doing is really hard, I recently tried doing this myself. There's a new park we go to (30�39'00.32" N 91�11'52.10" W) with very nice walking/running paths. In the middle (which currently shows dirt on Google Earth - 8/15) they built a children's activity playground and next to it an outdoor adult fitness area including all kinds of exercise bars. Tried doing pull-ups/chin-ups, could barely do two. frown

Too much weight with inconsistent workouts.

++++++++++

Chucky, I feel your pain, man. I'm kicking my own ass right now for slipping up and undoing at least half of my efforts when I was 41, at 48 it seems to be even harder and with slower results.

I still dream about the last crap meal we ate, during the Superbowl back in Feb., some of it didn't make the second pic (everything you see is from a single seafood platter, BTW)!

It took forever to quench my thirst from all the sodium! We haven't been bad since but damn those cravings hit me hard! smile

Attached Files Seafood_platter_1.jpgSeafood_platter_2.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 03/03/17 04:33 AM.
#4251414 - 04/21/16 01:17 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: Chucky]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Chucky
I would kill for fish and chips right now and it's only 10 am.

Is there a a low fat/low calorie version of fish & chips available? biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4251419 - 04/21/16 01:31 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Recently found another "before pic" back from 2007 that I don't believe I ever posted. It was right around this time my wife learned that she had a real cholesterol problem (part genetics, part lifestyle).

EDIT: Two more, where we never want to be again. If only *I* could hide it with a girdle! wink

Yeah, I need more current *after pics", working harder than ever on that right now, it's not raining and we're off to the track!

Attached Files Annette_and_Mark_2.jpgWedding_Dancing.pngWedding_DJ.png
Last edited by MarkG; 03/03/17 04:42 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4251426 - 04/21/16 01:53 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Chucky,

Don't give up, there are plenty people who turned around their health at your age.

What certainly will help you is to find a bunch of lower cal "snacks" to substitute for whatever causes your normal cravings.

Personally I managed best when alternating more lenient days with very harsh diet days. I.e half my normal daily intake with three quarters of my normal intake.

Also, increase your movement ever which way you can. For example a friend of mine started walking everything that was within three subway stations.

Do you have an estimate on what is your daily kcal need and what is your actual intake? Do you have a diet plan?

#4251433 - 04/21/16 02:02 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
How many of those? Make me envious wink

Twelve. No one in the "competition" was above ten (Yea, that is my bag. No, no one else did it with a bag). I could have eked out one more, but I had made my point.

What was funny, was they gave me a USAF t-shirt (which I passed on) and asked if I wanted to go be a JTAC or PJ. I laughed and told them, I'm already a paratrooper and trying to rehab my knee to go to SFAS.

You can do it, just start with one, then two, and so forth. You have to do them throughout the day. You can't do 3 sets at the gym and call it. You have to literally go do a set every 2 waking hours or so. Sometimes you need to use a band to aid you, but be consistent. It's actually a pretty impressive feat when the trash talk starts.

Also, pull with your shoulders and back and not your forearms. The arms are weak, but the shoulders are stronger and can help you get it knocked out without burning out.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4251443 - 04/21/16 02:30 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I don't really have a diet plan as such.I've cut out the crap that I used to eat on a daily basis and have stopped snacking between meals.I've cut out white bread,crisps and biscuits as far as possible.I include more fruit,salad,veg and fish in my diet now.I'm not a big meat-eater.

I walk just about every day,weather permitting and will get the push-bike out soon.

I don't do gyms but looking on Youtube there are plenty of things I can do at home for exercise.

Last edited by Chucky; 04/21/16 02:30 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4251447 - 04/21/16 02:45 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
LOL Tim, maybe time to change services?

Chucky, if you have the space and cash get an indoor trainer (bicycle or crosstrainer). It helps a lot to do cardio while watching TV, I even did it while playing games (with a wireless controller).

#4251502 - 04/21/16 05:13 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I keep tubs of cottage cheese in the fridge, whenever I feel the munchies I scoop a single tablespoon (depending where I'm at with my daily amount of nuts).

If I'm feeling *really* hungry between meals, I'll eat a banana and a spoon of Costco peanut butter (Ingredients: Dry Roasted Organic Peanuts and Sea Salt).

I'm open to trying new things (I even enjoy oven roasted Brussel Sprouts, whoda thunk it?) and I try to choose quality over quantity (sometimes the high price of quality encourages you to ration).

++++++++++

And of course, find your motivation! I really don't enjoy exerting myself for the sake of just being healthy, I really dislike jogging and even walking long distances for the sake of walking. I use music, the kind that almost forces me to move.

Also, I think of the good things going on in my life today, what I may have experienced waking up or before calling it a night, or when we spontaneously combust mid-afternoon (cue Starland Vocal Band). smile

Or I might go way back and stir jealous emotions I still remember (the dark side is powerful and makes you strong. smile ). I rarely bring it up in real life, except maybe when we're walking past that dormitory on campus and I might cut a joke (and it turned out to be nothing but a single date short makeout kiss anyway while we were broken up [pre-engagement]), but it's all I have/need to push myself past that occasional difficult hurdle.

Remember the video of that guy hitting the gym after a breakup, playing Metal in his ears and pushing himself? Sometimes you have to get pissed (within reason) and fire yourself up! Find whatever gives you that passionate burning motivation (if you're the type like myself that needs it).

#4251979 - 04/22/16 09:15 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
Back in 2011 I had spiraled out of control and peaked near 600lbs.

Today I weigh 240lbs.

I did it the old fashioned way. Less calories. More exercise.

It can be done. You don't have to resort to magic.

#4251988 - 04/22/16 09:23 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

I'm spot on for weight. But I have been a bit lax about keeping fit. Only doing a bit of walking and that had dropped down from around 500 km per month to barely 100.
I eat based on appetite, so that didn't make much change there ~ a steady 54-55kg (roughly 120lb)... but I'm not getting any younger and lost fitness gets harder to build back up as you get older (apparently).

So. I've just taken up a class of HEMA - initially Meyer's German Longsword, with Rapier, Messer/Dusack and Staff, plus some sword and buckler from other sources further down the line. It's been great fun, if a little bruising so far, and I have my own longsword to practice with (only a synthetic weapon at the moment, but a steel Feder is on the cards in the future once I have adequate protective gear to spar with steel).

#4251992 - 04/22/16 09:34 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: Lieste]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
Originally Posted By: Lieste
I'm spot on for weight. But I have been a bit lax about keeping fit. Only doing a bit of walking and that had dropped down from around 500 km per month to barely 100.
I eat based on appetite, so that didn't make much change there ~ a steady 54-55kg (roughly 120lb)... but I'm not getting any younger and lost fitness gets harder to build back up as you get older (apparently).

I've had to stop working out a few times due to injuries and that first week back is HARD. So I tend to start slow... like 10 minutes on Monday. 15 on Tuesday. 20 on Wednesday etc. Until I'm up to 90 minutes of whatever. Then stick with that. I learned the hard way to not go from nothing to 100. Not a good idea.

#4252000 - 04/22/16 10:08 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: Razorback]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Originally Posted By: Razorback
Originally Posted By: Lieste

I've had to stop working out a few times due to injuries and that first week back is HARD. So I tend to start slow... like 10 minutes on Monday. 15 on Tuesday. 20 on Wednesday etc. Until I'm up to 90 minutes of whatever. Then stick with that. I learned the hard way to not go from nothing to 100. Not a good idea.

I'm still fit. I walk briskly and hills are an excuse to raise the heart rate, not to slow down. (Over a long walk (say 20-50km) I'd manage to average 6.5-7km/h (including brief halts), over a mix of lanes, footpaths and open access land - and with around 1500m of ascent). I've done a mix of short brisk 'going somewhere' walks, and a few of these 'going somewhere the long way around' ones... just not as many. I'd just lost that defined muscle tone that I was always used to having (from decades of cycling).

The being bruising comes almost exclusively by being struck by fast moving synthetic swords during sparring, including slightly scarily taking part in the "prize fight" for one of the 18 month students who was passing his Scholar grade. I have a small collection of quite vivid bruises, which I managed to avoid adding to at the last session
duel

#4252007 - 04/22/16 10:20 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

This is the steel kit I am aiming for...

And a video from the sister club to the one I go to, with the synthetic swords shown.

They are blunt, flexible and light (770g), but still pack a wallop (some protection is essential - mask, elbow guards and gloves a must, knee protection very advisable).

Page 7 of 47 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 46 47

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.