Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4250378 - 04/17/16 02:42 PM "The Division" Science (spoilers may pop up in discussion}  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
seeker mines - Possible?

the spoiler is about the virus. One of those ah-ha reveals that make you go, Damn that could happen.
Click to reveal..
3d DNA printing a virus from a file. I have heard they are working on 3d DNA printing such as ears and noses for burn victims so I guess a virus isn't that much of a strech.

I know other games have had pulse signals so you can see the enemey through walls. with IR and sonar, Possible, existing, pratical ???

I rememeber when drones in games and movies, was science fiction. Now my grands kids have them. Not with guns of course (yet) but they will probably try.

Ok, I'll admit it. This game has made me a little paranoid of Black Friday.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4250402 - 04/17/16 04:57 PM Re: "The Division" Science (spoilers may pop up in discussion} [Re: Falstar]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Molecular 3D printing is something entirely different from 3D printing (living) tissue. DNA molecules, while themselves being gigantic in comparison to your average non-protein molecule, are tiny, tiny, tiny structures compared to a single cell, which in turn isn't much when looking at entire organs.
What you probably heard was of 3D printing a matrix, a skeleton if you will, on which the tissue for noses and ears could grow until you actually have something that a surgeon could sew on. But that's not actual 3D printing of (living) tissue, more like forming a chickenwire basis for your model train landscape that you then cover with paper maché (which would represent the living tissue in this analogy).

3D printing of molecules is still science fiction. It's not entirely unthinkable, but whether it's ever going to be practical when you have so many other tools to create custom DNA is an open question.

Seeing through walls - hogwash. Maybe with a ground radar, but that's hardly practical. Forget "sonar" or thermal (let alone IR) to locate humans behind an actual wall. There may be constellations possible where you have some sheets of plastic mounted on a frame that happens to be transparent to thermal radiation, but when we're talking of conventional construction materials, there is no "see through magic". It may be possible to detect whether a room is slightly warmer than some other to conclude that there may be humans hidden inside, but even that is a stretch - unless you know for sure that there are no other heat sources around.

Drones being "science fiction" - I don't know. Even as a kid in the late 1970s/early 80s I thought about rigging a camera to a model airplane. It wasn't a practical idea for a whole host of reasons, but at least in principle the necessary technology was already there. It just happened to be too bulky and heavy (or too expensive in the analog age), but not entirely unthinkable. What has changed are batteries increasing their power densities massively, electronics becoming incredibly cheap and pervasive to the point where you can put them at virtually no cost into toys, and the development of small and light digital cameras. Combine the three trends and you get remotely controlled flying cameras.

#4250506 - 04/18/16 02:58 AM Re: "The Division" Science (spoilers may pop up in discussion} [Re: Falstar]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
You don't need to 3D print DNA, you send away
to the companies that specialize in it, send
them a file with the sequence you want, and
you'll get a vial of it back in a couple of days.
Getting in into a cell is your own problem,
but if you're up to speed with current tech,
you have a CRISPR system set up to do it.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.