Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
#4141486 - 06/30/15 08:34 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
You do remember that at the time it was written graphics cards and Direct X were in their infancy and most standards were that in name only. Being that I think you're the first person I've seen mention this I'm not sure a facepalm is in order. I'm glad you were able to figure it out and passed along your findings.

Elf

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4182897 - 10/17/15 07:45 PM Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. [Re: Andromedius]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Nancy, North-East of FRANCE
Hi,

Back with another partial fix/work-around for those of you - myself included - who couldn't display properly the briefing notes in Jane's F-15 under win 8.1... yeah, it's this time of the year biggrin
I thought I'd give you some humble instructions with some screen caps (apologies for the screens in french but I think you'll have no trouble figuring things out.)

So, I messed around with the aqrit.cgf file of the ddraw wrapper mentioned in this thread and found that if you change the line ForceBltNoTearing = 0 to ForceBltNoTearing = 1 and save the file, you'll be able to see the missing text.
It's also worth noticing that under 8.1 I didn't need to set ForceDirectDrawEmulation to 1 in order to get the main menu working.

On the customs missions, you'll problably notice that the name of the missions are still missing but if you click anyway, it will select a mission and display the short description that comes along with it : the text will remain on the page.

Then, when you're on the briefing mission page, you'll have to click on the 'briefing icon' and it will display the text but as soon as you point your mouse cursor elsewhere the notes will vanish again !

But fear not, if you click on the slider for the notes, you'll see them again ! So as long as you use the slider the text will reappear and stay on the page. It's not a 100% perfect but at least it works.

When the text vanishes, all you have to do is click again on the slider and you're good to go.

That's it! I didn't test this workaround with Windows 10 but I hope I didn't bore you to death with my ramblings and that this will help some of you.

Fly safe,

Andromedius.

Last edited by Andromedius; 10/17/15 08:43 PM.

'Au Royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus'. Pierre Dac.
In the land of the blind, one-eyed men are badly looked upon.
#4215176 - 01/10/16 03:44 AM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
Zamdrang Offline
Zamdrang  Offline

California
Just curious if anyone out there still has copies of the tackleberry patch for USAF? And is willing to share? All the links found via google are dead, and most of them link you to the Gulf Knights Air Base site which looks like as of Jan 1 (it was up just before Christmas) is now dead.

I bought a mint boxed copy (yes that was a score to my 44 year old self...lol) of IAF and got it working in Win 7 this past summer with the tackleberry patch. I procrastinated trying USAF and now having no luck finding the files. I did find a Russian language link with a complete zip file with what appears to be the tackleberry patches for Fighters Anthology, IAF and USAF. But the USAFConfig.exe file is corrupt and gets nailed by my virus program. The rest of the files are ok, and those for IAF look identical to my known good IAF files. Have no idea about the FA files, I have never owned or played it.

If anyone knows of a link or able to share I would sincerely appreciate it. I would love to get USAF working. I had a blast with IAF, it was one of the few I didn't buy new back in the day, for me there is something about the terrain graphics in IAF and USAF that I just like...probably the hours I spent staring at it! I am admittedly nostalgic and love the old 90s sims that got me into this in the first place.

Last edited by Zamdrang; 01/10/16 03:46 AM.
#4215259 - 01/10/16 01:56 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
I might be able to help. If I manage to upload the patch somewhere I'll let you know. Stand by...

Edit:

USAF patch
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lKDHW-A6jqX0xwcFFYOGVXRm8/view?usp=sharing

IAF patch
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lKDHW-A6jqckN6eWdaRFJCRXM/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by damson; 01/10/16 02:03 PM.
#4215507 - 01/11/16 04:08 AM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: damson]  
Zamdrang Offline
Zamdrang  Offline

California
Thanks for sharing...much appreciated! I got USAF working in just a few minutes, have some weird issues in game with certain aircraft but at least its working

#4215846 - 01/11/16 08:57 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

@Zamdrang,

You might want to give a try to the High Quality Mod (it was also done by Tackleberry)on top of the original patch; here's the link : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14017931/JUTPHQM.7z

Enjoy.

Edit: Some screens and a video of said mod can be found in this thread -just don't use the dropbox link in it, cause I messed up the files at the time... winkngrin : USAF HQ MOD

Last edited by Andromedius; 01/11/16 09:09 PM.

#4215961 - 01/12/16 04:19 AM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
Zamdrang Offline
Zamdrang  Offline

California
@ Andromedius Great thanks a lot, the screen shots look great for such an old game. I didnt see that thread first, probably because its in the screen shot forum, be nice to have all this info in one place. I still cant get it to behave right, weird issues on taxi and the preferences menu wont let me change any key assignments, when I click on them it brings up edits for the voice commands

Last edited by Zamdrang; 01/12/16 04:39 AM.
#4216231 - 01/12/16 07:56 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

@Zamdrang

Did you check the 'Gameplay' tab in the 'Options' just to be sure the 'Speech recognition' box isn't ticked? If that doesn't solve your issue, you could try a reinstall.
Also, taxiing can be a pain in the game, specially depending on your speed.
You can find better flight Model and some useful mods for USAF that will benefit greatly your experience.
Though I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information, you could take a look at the links in this post: USAF Mods

Hope that helps.

Fly Safe,

Andromedius.

Last edited by Andromedius; 01/12/16 08:09 PM.

#4216654 - 01/13/16 10:59 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
Zamdrang Offline
Zamdrang  Offline

California
@Andromedius Yeah I checked that, maybe I will do a reinstall. With the taxi issue, it acts like the brakes are still on, even though they aren't. It sort of rocks left and right and makes skidding sounds and just acts odd. Sometimes it will quit responding to yaw inputs, or only quit responding to left or only right... or start skdding across the ramp laterally like a rally car. I realize most of the missions begin in the air so its not a huge deal, but I like to taxi, take off and land if I can.

But worse than the the taxi issue, sometimes in flight it will start to porpoise or yaw and wont stop no matter what I do, making it basically unflyable.

I know its not a super detailed sim but even when it does fly right and not go into the porpoise mode, overall the way it responds to inputs just doesn't feel right, I wonder if its a joystick issue. I haven't tried my CH set up and so far just using a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro to keep things simple. I have no such issues with IAF with the same setup.

I will look into those mods, I had found the mcflyaviation site but hadn't tried any of the downloads. And I had read about Superpro and Pure on the GKAB site when it was still up, but not enough to understand where to start.

I appreciate all the information.. no worries there

#4216760 - 01/14/16 09:22 AM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
Tcklbrry Offline
Tcklbrry  Offline

Czech Republic
Hi all,
I'm working on the new version of Jane's USAF patch support Windows 10. You can enjoy on the new reworking sky engine, improvements terrain, better visibility, some graphics etc.

To Andromedius:
Could you give me some contact to you? I'll would send to you the patch for testing. You can do any video, if you want. smile2

Cheers,
T4ckl3b3rry

Last edited by T4ckl3b3rry; 01/14/16 09:25 AM.
#4216765 - 01/14/16 10:09 AM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Zamdrang]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Originally Posted By: Zamdrang

I know its not a super detailed sim but even when it does fly right and not go into the porpoise mode, overall the way it responds to inputs just doesn't feel right, I wonder if its a joystick issue.

This!
I don't think its a joystick error, I have an MSFFB2 and experiencing the same problems.
The response of the plane is just way to harsh and unrealistic.
(Not that I would know what is realistic, but I assume if most of the other sims are doing it right, USAF is wrong.)
An exponential axis response curve setting most probably would fix it, but unfortunately, MS dropped the support of my joystick ages ago...

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#4217322 - 01/15/16 05:03 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
Zamdrang Offline
Zamdrang  Offline

California
@ T4ckl3b3rry this is great to hear, will be patiently looking forward to it! smile

@Staniol interesting to hear, maybe I have rose colored glasses for this old game and it was always a bit "off"? It does feel strange coming back to after all these years of flying many of other sims. I have been flying IAF too and while it does feel sim "light" it doesn't necessarily feel odd like USAF does.

Last edited by Zamdrang; 01/15/16 08:40 PM.
#4217351 - 01/15/16 06:40 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Honestly, I have no reliable memories from the past... I played it with keyboard at that time. smile

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#4217812 - 01/16/16 07:16 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

@ T4ckl3b3rry

Sorry for the delay: I sent you a PM with my contact. Thanks for your dedication to our old beloved sims !notworthy

Take care,

Andromedius.

#4247736 - 04/07/16 11:24 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
firefox117 Offline
firefox117  Offline

Any updates by any chance? Had this game working well on my computer, but had to replace one of my HDD. Got it reinstalled, now trying to patch it (on Windows 10), but not having much luck. Game starts up, but lags, and it seems the preference option doesnt work at all. (I get the popup box sounds, but no box. If I hit enter, I return to the game).

Any ideas, or anyone have this running on windows 10?

#4248759 - 04/11/16 02:59 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
La_Paperell Offline
La_Paperell  Offline

Hi Everyone, this is my very first post on any kind of forum, ever.

I registered and log on to SimHQ just to report my findings. I was so frustrated by trying to play this game that when "it happened" i had to share it with someone. I don't even know if someone had done the same thing before and my information is redundant but, hell, here it is.

I made Jane's USAF work under current linux + wine and by "work" i mean fully interactive menus and smooth gameplay.

I used stock Kubuntu 15.10 with playonlinux. I have to note that the game "runs" using Intel Video Card only. If i try to run it using an Nvidia card or a Radeon it just goes blackscreen at the mission start.

I used playonlinux to exploit the capability to set up custom versions of wine with different prefixes (directory roots).

So this is the setup in its own wineprefix:
Wine version: 1.9.7
Wine set up to emulate: Windows NT 4.0 (weird, isn't it?)

This is the procedure:

1) Install stock Jane's USAF
2) Install patch (there's only one)
3) Install mod: admin8.4
4) Install tackleberry patch (latest one to date).

No wrappers or other modifcation needed.

It should run as it is given you dont't use an NVIDIA or ATI card but just an Intel one.
Wheter this last statement would mean, in the past, that you should get a "lesser" video card just to run the game, nowadays all laptops have hybrid graphics with at least an intel card.

I should also register to WineHQ and post my findings there.

Best Regards,

La_Paperell

#4249529 - 04/13/16 09:13 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
La_Paperell Offline
La_Paperell  Offline

Jane's F-15 on linux + playonlinux (POL)

Installation:
In its own wineprefix:

1) Install Stock F-15 (create an empty EAREMOVE.EXE in F-15 directory when the Setup says that cannot find files and click retry)
2) Install Patch

Set-up:

Note: glide wrapper (zeckensaw's) is a no-go for intel cards on linux, limited support with ATI. nGlide had problems of other kind and was not tested.

1) Install a glide wrapper using POL (copy in the wineprefix and load the installation via POL)

2) Install the direct draw wrapper referenced on:
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22340&sid=09b1d1c0d5ea25cc6b3c7e801be5cadc

Use the wrapper for version 1.7.17

3) Using POL, set up wine as 1.7.17.

4) Run F-15

Remember to, using winecfg "inside" POL, eventually deactivate the virtual desktop when you have the game tested running for at least one time.

Good to go for my rig.

Aqrit wrapper is a no-go for wine. The version posted here has a specific hook for wine when placed in the same directory as the game executable.

Enjoy.

Bien Cordialement,

La_Paperell.

Last edited by La_Paperell; 04/13/16 09:19 PM. Reason: Typos and sectioning
#4249642 - 04/14/16 01:42 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Great instructions, La_Paperell !

I'm not running Linux myself, but no doubt that your tips will help a lot some fellow simmers. Thanks a lot for taking the time to join the discussion and sharing your knowledge with us.

I'm amazed at how this thread has grown since I started it and seeing people post about their issue and solutions is proof enough that despite time and new technology our old good sims are still alive and kicking. This goes to show that there's still a need for middle-core and fun sims in 2016.

For those of you who may have missed it, I recommend this topic about Jane's USAF where good things are happening (T4ckl3b3rry is working his magic again!): http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4150835/1

@Firefox,
Can't help you here since I'm resisting Win10 (not a Microsoft hater, but I'm not keen on losing the ability to play some of my old games). However, it seems people have been reporting some success with Win 10 and Jane's F-15, so I'm pretty sure someone around here will help you with that.

Fly Safe,

Andromedius

#4274530 - 06/29/16 04:10 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: Andromedius]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Is there any way someone could make a summary post that includes the exact steps in order of what needs to be downloaded / installed etc. to get F15 up and running again?

I want to play F-15 but I don't have that much time to spend hunting through the internet looking for software that has disappeared since the original post etc. I had a hell of a time trying to get JF-18 working and just gave up on it. Would like to get F-15 running again. Old sim but it's still better than DCS in many respects.

#4274958 - 06/30/16 10:11 PM Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 [Re: La_Paperell]  
matheusp Offline
matheusp  Offline

Hi! how to install patch?!!??

I just got ok with USAF. I needed to copy both CDs into one foder to install USAF. But no success on patch.

BTW: on windows it runs ok, thanks to Tackleberry patch! I flying again!

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.